RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

homersimpson_esq -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (2/3/2012 1:10:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan
MOST ENTERTAINING DEPICTIONS OF THE END OF THE WORLD

Again...

[image]http://cdn.chud.com/3/34/34cbd587_slimpickens-drstrangelove.jpeg[/image]

yourecast -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (2/3/2012 5:05:43 PM)

Donnie Darko. Sure, he saved the world, but that's a really dark movie, if you ask me..

Woger -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (2/3/2012 8:54:43 PM)

Has anyone seen On The Beach starring Gregory Peck, it's suppsoed to ve very good.

anakin solo -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (7/3/2012 9:50:07 AM)

[sm=fighting03.gif] I agree with the road, because that it was really dark and showed the character played excellently by viggo mortensen that there isn't much left in the world.
Even though 2012 and the day after tomorrow were really good, they weren't really end of the world movies because all that happened in them was the world's climate or geographical locations have changed.
What really freaked me out was the end of knowing and the finality of it all, that is definately an end of the world movie.

BigKovacs -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (11/3/2012 2:56:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Has anyone seen On The Beach starring Gregory Peck, it's suppsoed to ve very good.

Great film and great book. Ridiculously harsh.

snaze1 -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (12/3/2012 4:14:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Threads.

Made in 1984. British film set in, I think, Yorkshire primarily. Made as  TV movie and is obviously low budget, but all the more bleak and realistic for it. For anyone who has not seen it you should seek it out. But be warned, there is no 2012/Day After Tomorrow style last minute grasps to a better tomorrow or saving of dogs.

A very, very intriguing and frightening depiction of the end of the world...

Im with you on this Stutty.
Watched it on Betamax in 1984.
Absolutely harrowing, makes shit like 2012/Day after tommorow look like The Smurfs

Shifty Bench -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (12/3/2012 4:22:16 PM)

My school showed us Threads back in the early 90s.......

That was fun [&:]

Sutty -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (1/4/2012 9:54:44 PM)

Both 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later show how the end of the world could look and feel. The collapse of society, government, a military state. Hopefully no crazed fucking zombies though! Think there would be enough to deal with!

OldGrey -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (1/4/2012 10:33:30 PM)

All very interesting responses, hmmmm, however, I do believe that Rgirvan44 asked for our thoughts on the END of the world.
In capitals and everything.
So lets dispense with all the half arsed suggestions where robots kill a few people, the weather turns a little cold, or people become a bit bitey, lets move on to the END. In capitals.
I feel that the most realistic depiction of the end of the world has to go to The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy.
So long and thanks for all the fish. . . .

Wyvenetta -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (3/4/2012 10:28:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: anakin solo

[sm=fighting03.gif] I agree with the road, because that it was really dark and showed the character played excellently by viggo mortensen that there isn't much left in the world.
Even though 2012 and the day after tomorrow were really good, they weren't really end of the world movies because all that happened in them was the world's climate or geographical locations have changed.
What really freaked me out was the end of knowing and the finality of it all, that is definately an end of the world movie.

Definitely agree, There was no survival of a small enclave, it was just the end, over.

Lucky Day -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (3/4/2012 11:24:30 AM)

Maybe doesn't quite count here.........

But as a pretty decent example of how the beginning of the end of the world could look, I really like Children of Men. It's as I would imagine the primarily stupid human race would behave when faced with our own extinction.

The Sadistic Puffin -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (10/4/2012 8:08:46 PM)

Its got to be threads, terrifyingly realistic. I'll also go for children of men and soylent green.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (17/12/2012 11:05:45 AM)

Bumping due to this week!

Anyone see Seeking A Friend for the End of the World? I kinda dug it.

clownfoot -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (17/12/2012 11:08:30 AM)

Army of Darkness... [:D]

The Duck Returns -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (17/12/2012 11:15:44 AM)

Hudson Hawk - It nearly ended my world.

Mister Coe -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (18/12/2012 12:45:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

If you can get past Brian Thompson playing a good guy, in a leotard and handily being able to fly a helicopter at the last minute, The Miracle Mile's microscopic budget avoids showing the destruction and instead focusses on the sheer mental panic of the general public, in a fury of fucking, fighting, looting, crying and suicides in the street. Good little film.

Oh yes... I tried to get a thread going about this forgotten classic a while back... deffo worth a watch if you can find it.

And another shout-out for THREADS...

benny the jet -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (23/12/2012 4:06:21 AM)

quote:

Threads.

Made in 1984. British film set in, I think, Yorkshire primarily. Made as  TV movie and is obviously low budget, but all the more bleak and realistic for it. For anyone who has not seen it you should seek it out. But be warned, there is no 2012/Day After Tomorrow style last minute grasps to a better tomorrow or saving of dogs.

We watched it at schoo;l and it terrified me. Its been a long time but would love to see this again

I'm plumping for the original Planet of the Apes

Don_a_van -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (24/12/2012 11:26:47 AM)

No love for When the Wind Blows? For shame. One of the best end of the world films you are ever likely to see. Moving, darkly humorous in places and harrowing in equal measure but it then doesn't have tidal waves or giant ice storms in it. [sm=rolleyes10.gif]

elab49 -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (24/12/2012 3:00:17 PM)

One of my all-time favourite films - should have been a finalist when I nominated it for the Hall of Fame. But not enough people voted for it  [:(]

Hood_Man -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (24/12/2012 3:04:06 PM)

I like it too, but how well known is it? It's never going to be the first thing people think of when you mention Raymond Briggs [8D]

denise123 -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (24/12/2012 5:28:48 PM)

For me it is The Knowing, and the amazing piece of music Beethoven's Symphony No 7 Allgretto mvt 2. It sets the mood beautifully and tragically.

Good film - Great final scenes

Don_a_van -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (27/12/2012 1:45:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I like it too, but how well known is it? It's never going to be the first thing people think of when you mention Raymond Briggs [8D]

No I suppose you are right although if you are of a certain age group, they used to make you watch it in school. I think I was about 10 or 11 when I saw it for the first time, what a harrowing experience that was, I remember being depressed for the rest of the week, a school movie experience only topped by Watership Down in it's ability to upset me! In fact I'm quite surprised that I still watch animated movies after those two.

Not really sure what the teachers were thinking to be honest but those were much simpler times. I doubt anything like that would be shown at school now in case little Kyle\Jordon got too upset.

BagEnder -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (2/1/2013 3:53:05 PM)

quote:

Threads.

Definitely this. Very unsettling.

Alan Grant -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (3/1/2013 12:29:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

[image]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2009/12/29/1262104047787/road-viggo-001.jpg[/image]

For me, it's The Road.

Just bleak, bleak, bleak survival at its rawest.

This.

The book is depressing. The film sends you over the edge.

Judge -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (4/1/2013 7:56:55 PM)

Melancholia... no other film has perfectly captured such a depressing sense of absolute hopelessness for me.

Cloud Cuckoo -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (7/2/2013 7:50:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan Grant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

[image]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2009/12/29/1262104047787/road-viggo-001.jpg[/image]

For me, it's The Road.

Just bleak, bleak, bleak survival at its rawest.

This.

The book is depressing. The film sends you over the edge.

The book sent me over the edge. The film will probably kill me.

The playpark immolation in T2 springs to mind for nasty shock value (at the time anyway!). I'll cite Dr Strangelove too.

--------

Ghidorah -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (8/2/2013 9:49:49 PM)

The Worlds Collide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voW0RiNTbGI

A giant planet is on a collision course to Earth and would mean the end of the everything. So to save the human race, scientist built a huge rocket to transport hundred or so people to Venus. However this movie was made in the 1950s and does come across as very racist. All the people picked to live on Venus happen to be white.

Whistler -> RE: The Best Depictions of the End of the World (8/2/2013 9:58:14 PM)

When Worlds Collide is good, but now it just looks like a place filler for Melancholia.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI