RE: Band of Brothers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Timon -> RE: Band of Brothers (19/6/2007 1:51:24 PM)

Castor.........sigh.................you're running Currahee.

Mojo -> RE: Band of Brothers (19/6/2007 5:33:50 PM)

I knew he had one and every time I watch the episode I've kept my eye out for the bastard but never found him. Thanks Timon.

I love Welsh, he's got a sexy voice.

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (20/6/2007 12:17:59 PM)

Is there a single bad/mediocre performance in the series? There really isn't is there.

Timon -> RE: Band of Brothers (20/6/2007 12:29:27 PM)

That odd Mockney in the first episode dressed in the 'Kraut clobber'?

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (20/6/2007 12:32:09 PM)

Oh yeah. I don't think the acting is bad though - just the ridiculously cliched dialogue.

I wonder how many of the cast still see each other. I reckon Dick and Nix do.

Timon -> RE: Band of Brothers (20/6/2007 12:50:31 PM)

I imagine the British actors run into each a lot. Hobbler still crops up in WKD ads, Welsh was in Rome and a car ad recently, Dexter Fletcher turns up in a lot of things, etc etc

Eion Bailey (Webster) was in ER with Malarky and was apparantly in the final six to be the new Batman. That could have been interesting.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Band of Brothers (21/6/2007 9:38:20 PM)

I watched the last episode yesterday and what can I say that hasn't already been said, it truly is amazing TV, infact so amazing that already I want to re-watch it. [:D]

Dionysus -> RE: Band of Brothers (18/9/2007 12:58:53 PM)

Just started watching it again on HBO on demand on Virgin Media.  It's the first time I've watched it since it first came on, and I think the fact I still remember quite large chunks of it is a testament to how amazing and affecting the series was!

Just one thing I can't quite figure out (probably me not paying quite enough attention at the beginning!) is how Cpt Nixon fits into Easy Company?  He doesn't seem to have ever been part of them directly but he always seems to be around.  And also is he higher than Winters, or are they the equivalent for different company's?  If anyone could shed some light I'd be most grateful!

Evessa -> RE: Band of Brothers (20/9/2007 9:39:28 AM)

Band of Brothers is just the best series EVER! I've probably posted that already?
I have just found out that James McAvoy was in the series as Pvt. James Miller, anyone remember which episode that was as I really don't remember it?

Timon -> RE: Band of Brothers (20/9/2007 9:40:47 AM)

McAvoy's Miller was in Ep 3 (Replacements) and was killed during Operation Market Garden in Holland. Fact!

Evessa -> RE: Band of Brothers (20/9/2007 10:14:46 AM)

Thanks Timon I will now have to watch it again, but hey I dont' mind [:)]

the anomaly -> RE: Band of Brothers (8/10/2007 7:50:44 PM)

I have finnaly got round to buying this!
15 online at HMV its the cheapest I have seen it.

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (5/2/2008 10:05:20 PM)

Time for another rewatch soon I think. My life is empty without it.

Timon -> RE: Band of Brothers (6/2/2008 9:24:45 AM)

May I recommend you try another HBO/Tom Hanks produced mini series? The fantastic From The Earth to the Moon which charts the Apollo project from the Gemini Missions to man's final step on the moon.

Just as epic and moving as Band of Brothers and if you even have a passing interest in the space program, you'll love it.

Erlenmeyer Flask -> RE: Band of Brothers (6/2/2008 9:51:41 AM)

Am up to episode 7 on a rewatch...[:)]

Twizzle -> RE: Band of Brothers (6/2/2008 12:30:17 PM)

I've just started watching this for the first time and have to say that I'm completely enthralled by it.

It's truly sublime TV.

theram05 -> RE: Band of Brothers (6/2/2008 1:58:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

May I recommend you try another HBO/Tom Hanks produced mini series? The fantastic From The Earth to the Moon which charts the Apollo project from the Gemini Missions to man's final step on the moon.

Just as epic and moving as Band of Brothers and if you even have a passing interest in the space program, you'll love it.

Just watched Earth to the Moon. Fatastic up the moon landings, I lost interest after that. Kinda like America in reality I guess. Fantastic work though. Funny to see some actors pop up in roles in it.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Band of Brothers (6/2/2008 8:54:07 PM)

I saw From The Earth to the Moon in my local ASDA for a tenner but didn't get it. Now I can't find it. Strike whule the iron's hot and all that..

On topic Bamd of Brothers is easily one of the best TV shows ever. I was blown away when I first watched it back in 2001 and have watched it again 5 or 6 times since. What with the Pacific set follow up coming up, I can see myself watching it a couple more times. It will be a hard act to follow

Andee -> RE: Band of Brothers (8/2/2008 2:32:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dionysus
Just one thing I can't quite figure out (probably me not paying quite enough attention at the beginning!) is how Cpt Nixon fits into Easy Company?  He doesn't seem to have ever been part of them directly but he always seems to be around.  And also is he higher than Winters, or are they the equivalent for different company's?  If anyone could shed some light I'd be most grateful!

He was the battalion intelligence officer - communicating between Winters' and headquarters.

Mindy -> RE: Band of Brothers (8/2/2008 5:39:06 PM)

Got the box set for christmas and watched it all, its brilliant!
I think Jame McAvoy was in the episode with all the young 'replacement' privates. Is that the same episode where bull gets seperated from the rest of the troup and has to hide in a drain and later a barn until he could escape?

G.O.B -> RE: Band of Brothers (12/2/2008 11:57:06 AM)

I was thinking of finally getting around to watching this,just wondering is it worth it?

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (12/2/2008 4:36:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

I was thinking of finally getting around to watching this,just wondering is it worth it?

Nah not really, its crap.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Band of Brothers (12/2/2008 8:49:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

Nah not really, its crap.

Agreed, it really is some of the worst TV I've ever seen, it you want quality TV go with Charmed.

G.O.B -> RE: Band of Brothers (15/2/2008 2:33:17 AM)

hmmmm [sm=893confused27-thumb.gif] i detect sarcasm,oh well i bought it today anyway so there [:D].

Alistair81 -> RE: Band of Brothers (21/2/2008 10:11:36 AM)

I too have just got my hands upon this show having heard great things about it.  Watched the first two episodes last night and am instantly hooked!  Damian Lewis is great but I thought Schwimmer was amazing - ok so there were shades of Ross in the performance but the despair on his face when he lost Easy Company was incredible and to make such and arse sympathetic was brilliant.  Also I was somewhat suprised to suddenly recognise Simon Pegg in the background.

Erlenmeyer Flask -> RE: Band of Brothers (27/2/2008 7:22:16 PM)

Watched 'Why We Fight' last night. If that doesn't move you you're a cold git.

The Mighty Quinn -> RE: Band of Brothers (27/2/2008 10:42:22 PM)

Just reading this thread has made me want to start re-watching the entire series again. Quite simply the most brilliant piece of television ever made.

JamesMcManus1 -> RE: Band of Brothers (19/3/2008 12:21:05 AM)

If this programme doesn't make people's top 5's in the empires greatest Tv shows poll there isnt any justice...its saving private ryan with extended fight scenes, more emotional pull towards the characters and no slow parts...its relentless and a great watch.
As for favourite characters i'd have to plump with bill guarnere, george luz, captain nixon and malarkey...how any of these actors hasn't landed a big hollywood role is beyond me...cant be because of lack of talent, oterwise why do scarlett johansson, colin farrell and jude law always get lead roles, they're utter wank!
Can't wait for the follow up series in the pacific...i hear tom hanks is going to be directing a lot more this time around!

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Band of Brothers (4/5/2008 10:09:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennedy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TUPAC AMARU

The World at War documentaries should be viewed in all schools too
I have a dvd box set of original military broadcasts that the army signal corp used to put together to keep U.S regiments around the world informed of
how things were progressing during ww2 and the footage is really graphic, these should be watched in schools.

What is the name of the DVD box set? I realise this is an older post, but hope remains a flicker in thy heart. I'm not pretentiously arty farty.

One thing that's always bothered about the old WW2 films is the sanitised depiciton of war. I understand that films made in the 40s/50s/60s were very close in proximity to the war. Clearly it would've been very upsetting for many people. However to truly convey the horror and cruetlies of war you must show it in all its graphic detail. Rather than rely on romanticised sentimental schmaltz. Maybe one counter-argument is that the people who lived through the horrors didn't need reminding; only today's thankless generation do.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dionysus

Just started watching it again on HBO on demand on Virgin Media.  It's the first time I've watched it since it first came on, and I think the fact I still remember quite large chunks of it is a testament to how amazing and affecting the series was!

As some one has pointed out he was the battalion intelligence officer. I'd imagine part of his role at least, was to disseminate and analyse various pieces of intelligence that came their way. In order to aid in formulating missions and listing vital targets. I think Nixon was higher than Winters, being a captain. However once Winters made it to Major, I believe he superceded Nixon in rank. If my memory serves me correctly, Nixon gave Winters his 'stripes' in the episode The Last Patrol.

What people need to remember is that whilst Band of Brothers is about Easy Company who obviously existed. Not all of what's depicted is factually or chronoloigcally correct. Because they were making a drama, they did have to use artistic licence. Whether it be the timing of an occurence or the whereabouts of individuals. However the bulk of it is factual! Besides how could you totally recreate what happened?

Now as for my own feelings on Band of Brothers. To put it simply....absolutely outstanding! Very moving, poignant, sobering, visceral and every other superlative that can be attached to this monumental series. They really hit the exact notes precisely when they should. I think actor Dextor Fletcher (Sgt John W Martin) summed it up best when he said :-

The more I spoke to John, the more I realised that we were telling a real story. We had a serious responsibility. We owed it to these men to produce something more than sentimental schlock

They got it spon on. Any guy that failed to be moved to tears in any of the episodes need to have a hard look at themselves. What they did cannot ever be repaid.

It was rather humbling and sombre when I visited the Normany landing beaches two weeks ago. I also went to Pegasus Bridge where British forces (Ox and Bucks et al) successfully captured it to enable armour to proceed to key areas. I also went to Merville Battery, which was also successfully taken by British members of the parachute regiment.

I went with Leger, very good indeed.

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (7/7/2008 6:38:19 PM)

If Bastogne and The Breaking Point could be merged into one episode, I would probably watch it every day. 

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI