RE: Band of Brothers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

VincentHanna -> RE: Band of Brothers (31/7/2006 10:05:49 PM)

I never saw all the series on TV, bought the lovely tin boxset and find myself lending it out to mates all the time because I want them to see just how good it is.

Choosing a favourite episode is very difficult......it's about as perfect as anything I've seen.....but for me, I'd have to go with episode 9, "Why We Fight".

Probably my favourite quote from the whole thing wasn't actually in one of the dramatised episodes but was said from a Dick Winters interview....he was quoting one of his men I think (can't remember who), who said:

I treasure my remark to a grandson who asked,
"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?"
"No" , I answered, "But I served in a company of heroes."

Damn right.

RockyWilcox -> RE: Band of Brothers (31/7/2006 10:07:29 PM)

I never liked that bit with Winters and Sobel. Without Sobel, Easy Company wouldn't be half as prepared. He wasn't a leader, but he was great at getting them to focus.

Stalla -> RE: Band of Brothers (31/7/2006 10:10:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VincentHanna

I treasure my remark to a grandson who asked,
"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?"
"No" , I answered, "But I served in a company of heroes."

that bit makes me cry every damn time!!!

VincentHanna -> RE: Band of Brothers (31/7/2006 10:36:05 PM)

Me too.
Not just there either, various other places throughout the whole series.

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (31/7/2006 11:49:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockyWilcox

I never liked that bit with Winters and Sobel. Without Sobel, Easy Company wouldn't be half as prepared. He wasn't a leader, but he was great at getting them to focus.

Yeah - I was saying earlier in the thread last year that it doesn't come across in the series how vital Sobel was to their success. In the book it states that without his intense physical training - more so than any other company - Easy may not have survived  some of the tougher missions like Bastogne. Sadly they didn't mention this in the series.

pedros -> RE: Band of Brothers (28/8/2006 12:21:46 PM)

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I watched the whole series again the past couple of days and needed to gush about how fucking awesome it is. This was the 3rd time i've watched it and have never found it more exciting, tragic, and heartbreaking. I think the first time I watched it when it was on tv I didn't really know who anyone was - they were all grunts in uniform and I couldn't really tell any of them apart. Plus the fact that we had to wait a week between episodes. I thought it was an excellent series but because I couldn't get to know any of the characters I just thought it had cool action scenes. The second time I watched it I was able to follow some of the characters and found it much more emotional. This time however I could identify most of the soldiers and so appreciated the last episode more than ever. I used to think it was something of an anticlimax due to the lack of action, but have now realised that it gives the series a very sad and poignant ending (and that's before the actual soldiers, who were anonymous up till this point, are identified).

My favourite episode is probably Bastogne, which I found truly heartbreaking. The way Doc Roe looks at the nurses headscarf at the end, and then rips it up to use as a bandage really brought tears to my eyes. I liked Breaking Point but found Lipton's narration a bit too intrusive sometimes. Least favourite episode is probably Crossroads, but I think i'm just prejudiced towards that episode because I know that Tom Hanks directed it, and so can't watch it without thinking of his stupid smug face.

I've been meaning to read the book for years, but this viewing of the series had finally prompted me to buy it so I ordered it from Play yesterday and am hoping it will arrive by the time I go on holiday next Saturday.

I'm just hoping that the Pacific War is even half as good as Band of Brothers. If it is then we'll be in for a treat.

krudler -> RE: Band of Brothers (28/8/2006 9:00:42 PM)

whats everyones favourite moments?i love the bit when Spiers tears across the german front to reach the other side where soldiers are pinned sown in bastogne
"at first the germans didnt even shoot at him,i think they couldnt believe what they were seeing,but thats not the amazing thing,the amazing thing was after he reached the other side...he came back"
the look on donnie wahlbergs face is great,just the look of pride and resoect,gets me every time

kennedy -> RE: Band of Brothers (7/9/2006 12:02:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

The next scene is also fantastic, in the church when the choir are singing for the soldiers, and the soldiers who have either been killed or injured disappear from the seats is really touching. Also Spiers telling Lipton of his promotion humanises him, as up to that point he'd only been seen as a cold hearted killing machine.

I was going to mention that in my post but forgot. It is indeed a fantastic scene. A nice breather after the intensity of Bastogne and Foy. I love the scene between Spiers and Lipton - especially the part where Spiers says why he doesn't put the rumours of him to rest. There's a theme of leadership running through the whole episode which is great - Dyke's inability to lead, Winters desire to lead Easy, Lipton having no choice but to lead and Spiers doing a damn fine job of taking over.

yeah, that scene with Spiers and Lipton is great because you finally get to
understand who Spiers really is and what he's all about because Spiers is shrouded in mystery and rumours up untill that point.
But the most heart rentching scenes for me is seeing the REAL 101st guys getting physically upset at reliving those experiences.To think that 60 years later those memories still haunt them(and why wouldn't they!!).
The one that gets me is when Martin tells the story of him and Gurnere going to get a tattoo because they thought that they weren't going to live through the war so what the hell, but to see him upset in that way was hard to watch.
WAR IS HELL!!

sharkboy -> RE: Band of Brothers (7/9/2006 12:56:37 PM)

I'd say it's the one DVD in my collection where the "extras" are more moving and compelling than the main feature! Who could watch Wild Bill's return to Foy without a tear as he recounts who stood where, who fell where and what was going on round him on that day?  The interviews with the surviving Easy soldiers that topped and tailed each episode also act as a massive reality check - just when you're viewing the show as entertainment, you hear the experiences of one of the people you've just watched parachute into hell, and the enormity of their sacrifice and immensity of their courage just washes over you.

It's difficult to pick out a favourite episode - it depends a lot on my mood.  If I want action, I watch Day of Days.  If I want heroic exploits, reminders of the human cost and courage under fire then it has to be Bastogne or Breaking Point.  If I want a reminder why all that bloodshed and loss was worth it in the end, then Why We Fight paints as compelling an argument as you're likely to see onscreen.

broonie -> RE: Band of Brothers (8/9/2006 4:40:11 PM)

My personal fave episodes are The Breaking Point & Why we Fight, quite simply both these episodes symbolise everything about the whole series. The horrors of WWII should never be forgotten, personally, I'd make this whole series compulsive viewing throughout schools everywhere as it would be ideal for history lessons.

TUPAC AMARU -> RE: Band of Brothers (9/9/2006 1:26:13 PM)

The World at War documentaries should be viewed in all schools too

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (9/9/2006 3:14:54 PM)

CURRAHEE!!!!!!!!!!!

kennedy -> RE: Band of Brothers (13/9/2006 10:43:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TUPAC AMARU

The World at War documentaries should be viewed in all schools too
I have a dvd box set of original military broadcasts that the army signal corp used to put together to keep U.S regiments around the world informed of
how things were progressing during ww2 and the footage is really graphic, these should be watched in schools.

thatlittlemonkey -> RE: Band of Brothers (16/10/2006 11:15:41 AM)

I finally finished watching the last two episodes last night and quite frankly, it's the finest, most moving experience I can remember having with a TV show or a film.  I make no apologies for the fact that a) I filled up numerous times throughout the series (as most people have done) and b) I'm going to be bugging everyone I know to watch it.  Absolutely remarkable.  And remember "Flies spread diseases, so keep yours closed".

Evessa -> RE: Band of Brothers (16/10/2006 12:52:34 PM)

I absolutely loved this series, as you can probably see by my signature and avatar [:D]
The story is just so moving, well acted and beautifully shot. It also retains the right balance of comic moments too.
I love how episodes draw on indivdual experiences and how it shows the team work and commradeship between the men, truly moving!

I agree that these 'types' of films should be watched in schools. My sister-in-law informed me that she has watched episodes of B of B in her schools (she found the whole thing quite shocking in places!)

A moving quote:

"We're all scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there's still hope.
But Blithe, the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead.
And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is
supposed to function. Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse. All war depends
on it."

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Band of Brothers (26/1/2007 3:39:36 AM)

quote:

A moving quote:

But Blithe, the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead.
And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is
supposed to function. Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse. All war depends
on it."

It worked didn't it. Shame he got hit by a sniper though. Still we can take comfort in:

The end of episode three states that Albert Blithe never recovered from the wounds he received in Normandy, and that he died in 1948. Albert Blithe did not die until 1967, after having two children, working for Westinghouse Electric, serving in the Korean War and achieving the rank of Master Sergeant. He was buried in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (26/1/2007 10:46:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

A moving quote:

on it."

It worked didn't it. Shame he got hit by a sniper though. Still we can take comfort in:

The end of episode three states that Albert Blithe never recovered from the wounds he received in Normandy, and that he died in 1948. Albert Blithe did not die until 1967, after having two children, working for Westinghouse Electric, serving in the Korean War and achieving the rank of Master Sergeant. He was buried in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors

I read that too. What's all that about? Why would they change a detail like that?

theram05 -> RE: Band of Brothers (26/1/2007 11:38:31 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

A moving quote:

on it."

I read that too. What's all that about? Why would they change a detail like that?

Pretty fucking strange imo......disappointed in them...

Dave Novo -> RE: Band of Brothers (26/1/2007 4:09:58 PM)

i read ages ago on this forum that a follow up series was planned - something like Band of Brothers in the Pacific or something. Hope its true.  Anyone know more about this?

Timon -> RE: Band of Brothers (26/1/2007 4:21:53 PM)

Yes we do Dave.

I have bumped the thread for you.

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Band of Brothers (26/1/2007 6:22:07 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

A moving quote:

on it."

Well they were going of the accounts of the veterans as you know, they all thought he died in '48 and never really recovered from his injuries on that poor day with the sniper. It was only after the series was released and Blythes family came forward with the correct information....he served in the Korean War and died in '67.

Just a case of taking something for granted and not actually researching further.

Did you also know Webster never actually went on the last patrol, he was at the other side of the river laying down covery fire. And Malarky never actually made it to the easgles nest.

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (26/1/2007 7:23:33 PM)

Yeah I knew those things. Martin didn't lead it either did he, but they hadn't established the character who did. I bet that person was sitting at home thinking 'son of a bitch'.

Has anyone else read this? It's amazing. I read the last half in one sitting.

[image]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0425208133.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V54571607_.jpg[/image]

I'm gonna buy Webster's book that he wrote in the 50's. It'll be interesting to see an account of it all so soon after it happened. Plus, apparantly he was a great writer.

[image]http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0385336497.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/image]

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Band of Brothers (26/1/2007 10:30:28 PM)

quote:

Yeah I knew those things. Martin didn't lead it either did he, but they hadn't established the character who did. I bet that person was sitting at home thinking 'son of a bitch'.

Has anyone else read this? It's amazing. I read the last half in one sitting.

[image]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0425208133.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V54571607_.jpg[/image]

I'm gonna buy Webster's book that he wrote in the 50's. It'll be interesting to see an account of it all so soon after it happened. Plus, apparantly he was a great writer.

[image]http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0385336497.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/image]

I want both, I was looking at them on Amazon yesterday, Winters doesn't seem to have good reviews but I'm getting it anyway. I've heard Websters is a better read, more to the point and less about tactics and field placing of units and soldiers. Although I'd expect nothing less from the tactically sound Major Winters. Although I've heard Websters can drag on about the heirachy of the army at times more than his experiences within Easy Company. Still, damn good reads I bet.

matty_b -> RE: Band of Brothers (27/1/2007 12:05:37 PM)

Got the boxset for xmas - I'd forgotten just how brilliant it is. Why We Fight is the standout episode for me, and it's great to see familiar faces like Simon Pegg, Marc Warren, James McAvoy and Jimmy Fallon in small roles.

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Band of Brothers (28/1/2007 1:40:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Got the boxset for xmas - I'd forgotten just how brilliant it is. Why We Fight is the standout episode for me, and it's great to see familiar faces like Simon Pegg, Marc Warren, James McAvoy and Jimmy Fallon in small roles.

There is no small role within easy Company soldier![:D]

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (28/1/2007 5:51:37 PM)

I want to keep this alive thread forever.

I watched Crossroads (a great Winters episode - showing his vast knowledge of tactical deployment), Bastogne (a fantastic character study of the underrated Eugen Roe) and Breaking Point (my favourite episode) the other day. I'll be damned if I can't help but cry when Spiers runs through enemy lines to hook up with Fox (?) company. It's the look on Lipton's (who we haven't really spent much time with up til then) face that does it. And then the scene in the church is just perfection. Liptons talk with Spiers is great.

furrybastard -> RE: Band of Brothers (28/1/2007 6:17:00 PM)

I think I'm going to re-watch these in the next few weeks. It's almost too heavy to take first time round. 

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (28/1/2007 6:23:29 PM)

I don't mean this in a argumentative way, but if you've only watched Band Of Brothers once, you haven't watched it. I'd seen the whole series, and then I got to uni and my house mate was talking about it and he knew everyone's names, what they did etc. You have to watch it all the way through a few times to really appreciate the characters, because they each pop up a few times and you forget you've seen them before.

Mozza -> RE: Band of Brothers (28/1/2007 6:24:23 PM)

I like the little differences-in Breaking Point, Lipton always refers to the company as E rather than Easy-he's more matter of fact, and its the nuances like that that make it great TV.

furrybastard -> RE: Band of Brothers (28/1/2007 8:07:56 PM)

quote:

I don't mean this in a argumentative way, but if you've only watched Band Of Brothers once, you haven't watched it. I'd seen the whole series, and then I got to uni and my house mate was talking about it and he knew everyone's names, what they did etc. You have to watch it all the way through a few times to really appreciate the characters, because they each pop up a few times and you forget you've seen them before.

Well, I have. Once. [:D]

I know what you mean though, there were a couple of times where I didn't know who the hell was on screen or getting shot at etc. Which is why I plan on watching it again [:)]

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI