RE: Band of Brothers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

kennedy -> RE: Band of Brothers (16/5/2006 12:02:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sserplla

It's a brilliant show, one of the best in the last 5/10 years

I think that a similar series should be made following the life of a british company in ww2 
starting with Dunkirk then the Middle East, France, etc.

anyone agree?

[image]http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0185906/th-99205SPOT3.jpg[/image]
Absolutely!But since almost half of the BoB cast were british actors
how would you cast it without it looking like a british version of  BoB(if that made any sense)?

kennedy -> RE: Band of Brothers (16/5/2006 12:10:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

If you loved this series and have an interest in the space program, can i recommend FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON - a 10 part mini series from Tom Hanks et al about the Apollo missions. It's just as good as Band Of Brothers and likewise has a HUGE host of actors in it including Cary Elwes, Steve Zahn, Ronny Cox, Sally Field, Tony Goldwyn and tons others. Can't recommend it enough.

[image]http://www.lunartraders.com/catalog/images/ltn00016.jpg[/image]

What a coincidence - I've just finished watching this again, having been inspired to do so by Andrew White's book Moon Dust.  In many ways it was the precursor to BoB - it was after making Apollo 13 and realising that he'd only told a small part of the story that Hanks floated the idea of a TV series about the Apollo programme to HBO.  Likewise, Saving Private Ryan inspired Hanks and Spielberg to once again approach HBO for a chance to tell more of the tale of D-Day and beyond.

The DVD box set of From The Earth To The Moon was the first DVD i ever bought, even before I'd bought a DVD player to play them on (there was no VHS release, and Channel 4 had once again screwed around with the scheduling which led to it being shown on different times and days each week, with the final show being broadcast at 11.00 on a Saturday morning!) Unfortunately my DVDs didn't survive the escape from marital hell but once I found a R1 release, it was snapped up!  I'll echo Timon's recommendation - before BoB came along this was hands down the best factual drama out there IMO.
Sounds interesting might have to take a look.[sm=33.gif]

Stalla -> RE: Band of Brothers (16/5/2006 11:05:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I always get excited when i see a member of Easy Company in other tv shows these days - like Marlarky in ER, Joe Toye was an air marshall in 24, Bull has turned up in Prison Break, Lost and Sleeper Cell and Wild Bill was in Catch Me If You Can....and Bad Boys with a very comical mustache.

you should watch boomtown then...as i recall guarnier, luz, malarkey, anddonnie wahlberg (forgot his name!!!) are all in it at some point or another

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Band of Brothers (16/5/2006 11:17:31 PM)

quote:

and donnie wahlberg (forgot his name!!!)

Lipton [sm=happy34.gif]

Stalla -> RE: Band of Brothers (16/5/2006 11:19:48 PM)

carwood! Thankyou!

RockyWilcox -> RE: Band of Brothers (13/7/2006 1:59:06 AM)

Just going through this series again. Watched 'Day Of Days' last night. The jump is as terrifying as always, the execution of the German prisoners equally shocking (More to do with the American born German explaining his reasons for fighting for the enemy), the destroying of the guns is quite tame compared to the missions they do later in the series, but a fantastic episode and I can't wait to watch the remaining episodes.

theram05 -> RE: Band of Brothers (13/7/2006 10:25:04 AM)

I watched the final episode of this on RTE tv again the other day, I was flicking and I came across it late one night. I've always loved the final scenes of it, from the German General adressing his men, calling them Band of Brothers, to the voice over by Damien explaining where everyone went to after the war, and how varied their lives became, to the moment at the end where when answering as to wheter he was a hero, and saying no but he served with them, man if this lot didnt make you cry nothing would. A fantastic mini series, words can't describe the beauty in the horror that is BoB.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Band of Brothers (13/7/2006 10:47:40 AM)

I never seen this, but my brother has the dvds, should I watch it?

lord of the pies -> RE: Band of Brothers (13/7/2006 11:14:07 AM)

Have you not read this thread?

Zaphod121 -> RE: Band of Brothers (13/7/2006 11:21:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lord of the pies

no, but Im guessing Band Of Brothers gets lots of praise...... I'll go watch it

theram05 -> RE: Band of Brothers (13/7/2006 11:32:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: lord of the pies

no, but Im guessing Band Of Brothers gets lots of praise...... I'll go watch it

Watch it, you won't be disappointed.

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (29/7/2006 3:06:23 PM)

Currently rewatching the series, so thought I'd resurrect the thread to talk about it.

I've just finished watching Bastogne and up to this point in the series, I think it is that and Day Of Days that are my favourite, along with Currahee maybe, because I love all the stuff with Sobel.

What's everyone else's favourite episodes? Top 3 if you like.

Stalla -> RE: Band of Brothers (29/7/2006 4:28:31 PM)

yeah my fav eps are bastogne, and i think the penultimate episode

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (29/7/2006 8:07:35 PM)

Forgot how amazing Breaking Point is. The attack on Foy has to be the highlight of the series - seeing Spiers run through enemy lines and back again never fails to bring a tear to my eye for some reason.

RockyWilcox -> RE: Band of Brothers (29/7/2006 8:37:49 PM)

Yeah, love that bit. What makes it so good I think is it is told from Lipton's point of view, and it's his narrative, if they had just shoved a camera on Spiers and had him jump over the wall to communicate with the other company, you might think it is a little far fetched and doubt it happened.

The next scene is also fantastic, in the church when the choir are singing for the soldiers, and the soldiers who have either been killed or injured disappear from the seats is really touching. Also Spiers telling Lipton of his promotion humanises him, as up to that point he'd only been seen as a cold hearted killing machine.

TUPAC AMARU -> RE: Band of Brothers (29/7/2006 8:57:09 PM)

Is Bastogne the one focusing on the medic eugene? If so i agree thats my personal best episode although Carentan is superb too

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (29/7/2006 9:10:04 PM)

quote:

The next scene is also fantastic, in the church when the choir are singing for the soldiers, and the soldiers who have either been killed or injured disappear from the seats is really touching. Also Spiers telling Lipton of his promotion humanises him, as up to that point he'd only been seen as a cold hearted killing machine.

I was going to mention that in my post but forgot. It is indeed a fantastic scene. A nice breather after the intensity of Bastogne and Foy. I love the scene between Spiers and Lipton - especially the part where Spiers says why he doesn't put the rumours of him to rest. There's a theme of leadership running through the whole episode which is great - Dyke's inability to lead, Winters desire to lead Easy, Lipton having no choice but to lead and Spiers doing a damn fine job of taking over.

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (30/7/2006 10:54:00 AM)

The Last Patrol is a really good episode as well. It's really interesting to see how they treat Webster because he wasn't involved in Bastogne - although, some members of Easy come across a bit twattish sometimes becuase of it - much like they did with the replacements.

Mozza -> RE: Band of Brothers (30/7/2006 10:57:33 AM)

I really need to rewatch this-my brother has the DVDs still!

But my favourite episode is still Currahee.  Some great dialogue and a pitch perfect "calm before the storm" ending.

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (30/7/2006 3:41:57 PM)

I suggest everyone should go and start watching the series again. I've never enjoyed it as much as I just have.

Let's have some pictures.

[image]http://www.uncledan.ch/cpo4/_data/band_of_brothers.jpg[/image]

[image]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1535000/images/_1535834_band_of_brothers_300.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.tomhanksland.com/Pics/bob5.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.tomhanksland.com/Pics/bob11.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.tomhanksland.com/Pics/bob8.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.tomhanksland.com/Pics/bob1.jpg[/image]

RockyWilcox -> RE: Band of Brothers (30/7/2006 3:52:36 PM)

Castor, you only watched it again because I recently did. You're not Spiers, you're not even Malarkey. You're Pvt. Cobb, the one who is the bastard to the replacements.

potus -> RE: Band of Brothers (30/7/2006 4:55:26 PM)

Isn't he the same guy off those WKD ads?

Stalla -> RE: Band of Brothers (30/7/2006 5:44:36 PM)

yes!

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (30/7/2006 5:54:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockyWilcox

Castor, you only watched it again because I recently did. You're not Spiers, you're not even Malarkey. You're Pvt. Cobb, the one who is the bastard to the replacements.

You're Hoobs. Except you would shoot yourself in the penis and not your leg - and not becuase it's so big.

Just found out about this book after looking at some of the guys on Wikipedia:

Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters

[image]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0425208133.01._PE10_OU02_SCMZZZZZZZ_V54571607_.jpg[/image]

I'll definately be getting that at some point.

RockyWilcox -> RE: Band of Brothers (30/7/2006 5:58:02 PM)

I'd rather shoot myself in the penis than look like a penis to the rest of the company. I still died by an enemy's gun as well. I'm a hero.

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (30/7/2006 6:06:31 PM)

Let's stop this fighting. How are we expected to fight the Germans, if all we're doing is fighting each other?

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

theram05 -> RE: Band of Brothers (31/7/2006 10:17:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Let's stop this fighting. How are we expected to fight the Germans, if all we're doing is fighting each other?

Shall be my brother

[:(]

Beautiful.......

Castor Troy -> RE: Band of Brothers (31/7/2006 4:10:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

quote:

Shall be my brother

Beautiful.......

Thanks, I wrote it myself.

RockyWilcox -> RE: Band of Brothers (31/7/2006 9:35:18 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

quote:

Shall be my brother

Beautiful.......

Thanks, I wrote it myself.

And there's just one reason among a catalogue why I would never fight alongside Troy in war.

"Is the path clear, Private Troy?!"

"Sir, Yes sir!"

*I get up out of my foxhole, only to be fired upon by the enemy standing less than five yards away*

"Sorry sir. I lied, sir!"

Cabal aka Boone -> RE: Band of Brothers (31/7/2006 9:55:25 PM)

For some reason there has always been one line thats stuck in my head, and I've not watched the series for a couple of years now either!
Its the last words from Winters to Sobel, as Sobel is about to walk right past him....

"Captain Sobel, we salute the uniform, not the man!"

Sobel is SO bitter about the whole thing, its a great bit of 'put-you-in-your-place' dialogue!

And Bastogne I think is one of my fave episodes, but I think its high time I rewatched the series.....

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI