Father Ted (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Trillian -> Father Ted (10/10/2005 4:12:03 PM)

How great is Father Ted?!
Has to be one of the top Sitcoms ever made!  Been watching the dvds, over the weekend and I never get bored of watching it.

Starscream -> RE: Father Ted (19/3/2006 10:39:59 PM)

What would you say to a cup father?
[offers him a cup of tea]
FECK OFF, CUP!

[:D]

Kyle_R_ -> RE: Father Ted (19/3/2006 10:48:11 PM)

I have been watching it on More 4 recently. Havnt seen it in a while, I love it.

Joe -> RE: Father Ted (8/7/2006 3:56:51 PM)

Here's a stumper : is there a bad episode? An episode you wouldn't watch?

punchdrunk -> RE: Father Ted (8/7/2006 4:22:06 PM)

i think its more that there are some that are so painful to watch that you cant bare to revist them, the boring house guest "no im fine" was a clone of my uni housemate who was an accountant and very very steriotypically boring! so i cant bare to watch it, i feel like im with them when they are getting f*cked over so some of those episodes aswell...thats all of the episodes.

But i think some of the Father ted "the Racist" episode verges on bad, but then it pulls it back with the lines like "I hear your a racist now father"
sometimes i worry that bits are only funny because of the irish accent used rather than the quality of the writing.     

punchdrunk -> RE: Father Ted (8/7/2006 4:30:25 PM)

Even Graham Norton shines in this!

Tony-"SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!"
Norton-"Well....well i never...
your going on the list...
your in for it now Tony...
not really! i wrote i like Tony" 

classic scene.[sm=happy07.gif] 

Joe -> RE: Father Ted (8/7/2006 4:32:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

i think its more that there are some that are so painful to watch that you cant bare to revist them, the boring house guest "no im fine" was a clone of my uni housemate who was an accountant and very very steriotypically boring! so i cant bare to watch it, i feel like im with them when they are getting f*cked over so some of those episodes aswell...thats all of the episodes.

But i think some of the Father ted "the Racist" episode verges on bad, but then it pulls it back with the lines like "I hear your a racist now father"
sometimes i worry that bits are only funny because of the irish accent used rather than the quality of the writing.     

I LOVE that episode! I thought it all worked brillaintly

punchdrunk -> RE: Father Ted (8/7/2006 4:39:16 PM)

The Hitler Joke with the dirt on the window in the episode never worked for me either.

im comparing it to the quality of its own jokes here though so its not really putting it down...and you kind of asked Joe...and by "kind of" i mean you did. [:D]

Joe -> RE: Father Ted (8/7/2006 6:02:44 PM)

I know, I know...it's just i do love that episode!

steelydan3 -> RE: Father Ted (8/7/2006 6:07:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

The Hitler Joke with the dirt on the window in the episode never worked for me either.

im comparing it to the quality of its own jokes here though so its not really putting it down...and you kind of asked Joe...and by "kind of" i mean you did. [:D]

Father Ted[:D]Fantastic show, well, the episode I seen recently was where they think Jack is dead.  When the lawyer comes to discuss the will with Ted and Dougal, they don't believe she's a lawyer, because she's a woman.  Dougal says-"If you're a lawyer, then I'm Boy George!"  Cut to Dougal singing Karma Chameleon.  Brilliant!  Lots of other quotes I could mention but as I seen that recently, that's the one I'll use.   

punchdrunk -> RE: Father Ted (8/7/2006 6:08:22 PM)

it was a bit of a stumper question...and kind of loaded trap, amongst avid fans [sm=scared04.gif] 

Sugar Kowalczyk -> RE: Father Ted (9/7/2006 12:48:39 PM)

Father Ted is brilliant I just love it too bits every episode is great... the only one I'm not too keen on is A Christmassy Ted only because I have seen it thousands of times as it is repeated constantly at Christmas Time and I always watch it because there is nothing else worth watching... cos I do love the jokes in it.

Its difficult to pick a favourite but I do have 2 favourites one is where they went to the caves in Ireland and Ted went up to "Victor Meldrew" I thought that was hilarous.... cos I love One Foot in the Grave as well, and I do wonder what his (Can't remember his name) reaction would be if someone went up to him and said "I don't believe it" Also Miss Doyle reminded me so much of my Nan when she kept on about "No, no I'll pay for it" to her friend in the cafe and that escalated into them going to the police station.

Another one of my favourites is the Cigarettes, Alchol & Rollerblading, cos thats when finally Dick Byrne got his comeuppance!! Plus Ardal (Dougal) was sooo funny as a person trying to give up rollerblading.

This is one of my favourite quotes:

(Talking about the film)
Ted: I know for a fact St. Tibulus wore more clothes then that. He was from Norway or somewhere, he'd have frozen to death
Dougal: And do you remember that bit when St. Tibulas tried to take that banana off the other lad
Ted: That wasn't a banana Dougal

G.O.B -> RE: Father Ted (10/7/2006 12:03:54 AM)

Speed 3 or song for europe are my favourite episodes.Have this wonderful on dvd.Endlessly Quotable.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this quote but here goes.It's from a christmassy ted

Ted:what do you think is behind tommorow's window, father jack?
Jack:A pair of feckin woman's knickers!

DesolationRow -> RE: Father Ted (10/7/2006 3:24:39 PM)

Shite, I knew there was another thread....
Well, anyway Father Ted is classic. No other word: classic. In fact, I think I'll say it again: CLASSIC! If I had to pick a favourite, it would be the one with the three bishops...
Bishop Jordan: I had a minor heart attack last year, so if you could warn me when you're going to do anything sudden..."
Dougal: ARRGGGHHHH!!!
[Bishop Jordan collapses]
Dougal: I just remembered Ted - Aliens is on after the news!

Ardal O'Hanlon is just brilliant as Dougal. Another favourite is the episode on the plane:
Ted: Is this the toilet?
Toilet attendant: First class toilet, sir. Do you have a first class ticket?
Ted: Er... no.
Attendant: Then you'd better go across the way.
Not only is it the best Irish sitcom ever (not hard, I know...) but it has the best theme music ever. By one of the best songwriters ever.

Tohru_Readman -> RE: Father Ted (19/7/2006 3:16:04 PM)

Just been watching Father Ted with my boyfriend, he has most of the seasons on dvd, lucky thing.

Favourite Episodes:

Flight into Terror
Speed 3
Escape from Victory
Kicking Bishop Brennan up the Arse

MOTH -> RE: Father Ted (19/7/2006 3:28:50 PM)

i got the book of the scripts for a present a coupla years ago. It's even funny written down and there's a nice introduction to each episode from Linehan and Matthews explaining where they got their ideas from.
However, it's mostly brilliant for having the following exchange on the back cover which sums up the genius of Father Ted

Father Dougal: Did you ever see that film, Ted, where your man has his head transplanted onto a fly, and the fly's head was transplanted onto the man?
Father Ted: Oh, yes... what was it called...?
Father Dougal: "Out Of Africa", I think. Anyway, your man has the head of the fly and he's chasing his wife all over the place and she's hiding the jam and everything so he won't get stuck in it...
Father Ted: I'll have to stop you there, Dougal.
Father Dougal: Yes, Ted?
Father Ted: No reason. I just have to stop you.

punchdrunk -> RE: Father Ted (20/7/2006 9:36:22 AM)

That sound cool book MOTH, Any chance you could quote some of Linehan and Matthews ideas?

Shaunette_ofthe_Dead -> RE: Father Ted (21/7/2006 12:48:25 PM)

[sm=happy07.gif]
God I love Father Ted!!! More4 are gods for bringing it back to the people. I don't think there's a "bad" episode of Ted; there are some that are better than others. And I adore The Very Dark Caves: So Dark You'll Think You're Blind. [:D] And Mrs Doyle: "Put your purse away." My friends and I say that all the time when we're trying to decide who's getting the first round in. [;)] "No, put your purse away, I'll pay."

I love Christmassey Ted, too, if only for the fact they get lost in "Ireland's biggest lingerie department -- I understand." And, "Go on without me! It's my own fault for messing with the stupid bra strap!"

My friend's favourite moment is where Father Jack gets sent to the old priest's home, Ted and Dougal are breaking him out, they shine torches on the faces on the different priests in there and you get the scenes of: "Feck!" "Arse!" "Girls!" "Knickers!" "I really shouldn't be here." [sm=happy07.gif]

Another classic is from the ep. with the three bishops, where Ted teaches Jack to say, "That would be an ecumenical matter." [:D]

I think it may actually have been the funniest sitcom on TV ever. Possibly beaten by Spaced, I'd have to carefully consider the matter...

Mozza -> RE: Father Ted (21/7/2006 12:51:46 PM)

I loved it.  Possibly too much.

However, wheneve my brother is driving eally slow, I'll just shout "Look! It's a big bunch of boxes in the middle of the road!"

MOTH -> RE: Father Ted (21/7/2006 8:07:20 PM)

punchdrunk - Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews are big film fans (Linehan used to have a column in Neon magazine), so some of the film influences in the series are obvious (e.g. Night of the Living Dead, Speed), some not so (The Conversation where Ted has wrecked the house looking for bugs at the start of the indoor soccer episode).

One good example was The Passion of St Tibulus episode which was inspired by the storm caused in Ireland by the film Je Vous Salue, Marie, Godard's updating of the Virgin Mary story. Like in the episode, the controversy about it made it more successful than it ever would have normally. Another is Chris the sheep lipreading in one episode, inspired by HAL from 2001.

There's good examples like that throughout the book, showing where real-life events in Ireland and/or Irish stereotypes inspired plots/characters. They're surprisingly critical of themselves too. E.g they don't think much of the Christmas episode, believing it to be essentially two episodes, weakly linked together. Likewise they explain how hard it was to keep Fr. Jack involved in stories as he had quickly become a 'catchphrase' character who lent little to the plots. All in all, nice insights into the process of sitcom writing.

punchdrunk -> RE: Father Ted (22/7/2006 12:14:11 AM)

[sm=happy34.gif]nice one Moth.

The Christmas episode notable for placing into your mind the situation of the baby left on the door step we didn't need to see it and it was a real gem to see them pull it back and say, "no that wouldn't of been that good" your in the room with the writers, the lost '3 (priests) men and a baby' episode exists in your mind and as far a theoretical episodes go its my favourite.[sm=happy34.gif] 

Mozza -> RE: Father Ted (22/7/2006 12:18:21 AM)

The Lingerie department skit would have made a classic episode.

Shaunette_ofthe_Dead -> RE: Father Ted (22/7/2006 11:11:07 PM)

Yeah, fun as Christmassey Ted is, it is really two episodes. But I do like the little Three Men and a Baby satire.
[;)]

punchdrunk -> Father Ted is made by Honey Bees (23/7/2006 4:39:21 PM)

I could of e-mailed you the theoretical script but it only exists in theory [sm=huh.gif] 

Shaunette_ofthe_Dead -> RE: Father Ted is made by Honey Bees (23/7/2006 10:20:05 PM)

"In theory, Communism works. In theory."

Sorry to contaminate a Father Ted thread with Simpsons, but it worked so well...

I just finished watching the Song For Europe episode on More4, and was pissing myself! "My lovely...horse, See her running through the...fields, Running along with a man on your back like a train in the night, like a train in the --hold on, I can get this-- niiiiight."
[sm=happy07.gif]

Sugar Kowalczyk -> RE: Father Ted is made by Honey Bees (23/7/2006 10:53:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

"In theory, Communism works. In theory."

Sorry to contaminate a Father Ted thread with Simpsons, but it worked so well...

I just finished watching the Song For Europe episode on More4, and was pissing myself! "My lovely...horse, See her running through the...fields, Running along with a man on your back like a train in the night, like a train in the --hold on, I can get this-- niiiiight."
[sm=happy07.gif]

I love the bit when Father Ted gets irritated with Dougal that had me in stitches...Just playing the f***ing note!!! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0WbXZinvw

punchdrunk -> RE: Father Ted is made by Honey Bees (6/8/2006 4:21:34 PM)

Has anyone got a screen shot of teds diagram "Reality ----Fantasy" i could really us it on this site[:D]  post the screen shot on here if you can. Cheers.

Kenny -> RE: Father Ted (6/8/2006 5:44:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art Vandelay

and one of Britain's Greatest Comedies. [;)]

One of Britains greatest comedies? It was written by Irish people, starring Irish people, co funded with Irish and English production companies? How exactly is it English?

Mozza -> RE: Father Ted (6/8/2006 7:54:09 PM)

You answered your own question.  It was funded by an English company.

Kenny -> RE: Father Ted (6/8/2006 8:32:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

You answered your own question.  It was funded by an English company.

Oh yes right! Much like The Life of Brian is one of Americas greatest comedies of all time because it was funded by an American company! [sm=rolleyes10.gif]

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI