RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack

Snake-Eyes -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/12/2011 4:04:43 PM)

Has anyone seen this...?

http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/

What a f**king INSULT to REAL comic fans! They just don't f**kin' get it do they...?! [>:][sm=893banghead-thumb.gif][sm=893banghead-thumb.gif][sm=893banghead-thumb.gif]

garvielloken -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/12/2011 4:37:53 PM)

[image]http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/richiemayhem9/multiplication.jpg[/image]   [image]http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/richiemayhem9/kago.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/richiemayhem9/abstraction01.jpg[/image]    [image]http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/richiemayhem9/32947.jpg[/image]

Just reading various Shintaro Kago stuff at the moment. Most of these are very short, usually only 16 to 20 pages.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/12/2011 5:04:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

Has anyone seen this...?

What a f**king INSULT to REAL comic fans! They just don't f**kin' get it do they...?! [>:][sm=893banghead-thumb.gif][sm=893banghead-thumb.gif][sm=893banghead-thumb.gif]

Amen to that! [sm=happy34.gif]

petecriss8000 -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/12/2011 5:31:04 PM)

quote:

Has anyone seen this...?

What's the problem? I'll happily pick up Dark Phoenix in hardcover for six quid

directorscut -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/12/2011 8:32:47 PM)

quote:

Has anyone seen this...?

What exactly is a REAL comic fan as opposed to a fake one, and how is this an insult to them?

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/12/2011 10:30:11 PM)

There is no real or fake comic book fan. You either love comics or you dont! There are people who are totally against comic book's, they prefer they're 'normal' novels. Which i think is a shame because titles like FROM HELL, SANDMAN, V FOR VENDETTA and WATCHMEN are intelligent, thought provoking and truly amazing stories.

Indeed, i've heard from people who change their stance totally after reading some of the aforementioned comics!

I think Snake was maybe referring to the fact that Marvel maybe de-valueing a comic, for instance Spiderman: coming home, or Iron Man: Extremis, comic's which a lot of fan's hold in high regards. But then again, i'm not that big a MARVEL fan, so i could'nt say.

But then again, through this weekly collection, you might have a young boy/ girl who has never read a comic, pick it up and absolutely love it. So its difficult to say really. But i'm sure there will be a lot of comic book lovers who might not be too happy about it.

Its like seeing your favourite comic book being re-released as a children's colouring book! [:D]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/12/2011 11:06:50 PM)

BTW, really enjoying my ALIENS VS PREDATOR OMNIBUS!! [:)]

Not to mention.....

A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY FELLOW EMPIRE FORUMITES!!!! [sm=happy07.gif]

Snake-Eyes -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/12/2011 11:15:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I think Snake was maybe referring to the fact that Marvel maybe de-valueing a comic, for instance Spiderman: coming home, or Iron Man: Extremis, comic's which a lot of fan's hold in high regards. But then again, i'm not that big a MARVEL fan, so i could'nt say.

Its like seeing your favourite comic book being re-released as a children's colouring book! [:D]

THIS.

directorscut -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/12/2011 11:26:12 PM)

As far as I can tell it is the original comic book in hardback trade format. Absolutely nothing akin to "seeing your favourite comic book being re-released as a children's colouring book."

Olaf -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/12/2011 11:47:11 PM)

I have to agree with DC here, I don't see how it can be described as devaluing the books when it's just reprinting them - it's no different than if you were to suggest that people who buy comics in trades are not 'real fans' compared to monthly readers. And as has been pointed out, if releasing them in a fortnightly format gets more people to read them, then what's the problem?

That said, the uniform cover thing is just ugly so I'll be giving it a miss (not to mention that they're shockingly overpriced here).

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (1/1/2012 1:21:56 AM)

Aw crap! I think the best way to find out for sure is to buy the first issue; that way we can find it if it is a 'chidlren's colouring book' disguised as a comic book OR if it is a genuine, bona fide graphic novel that a seasoned comic book lover/reader wouldn't mind reading.....

Anyone willing?

Aw crap. Okay, i'll do it! [8|]

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (1/1/2012 8:26:05 AM)

I'd already read up on this as it was advertised by my local comic shop on my facebook [:)]To be honest I saw the collection all together and thought hey that would look great on my shelf, be a nice collection of hardcovers and might introduce me to lesser known characters that I haven't read up on before. But then I spotted the price and thought perhaps not....jog on!

There's also no price reduction bonus to be seen by subscribing. I was expecting 2 issues free per year or something of the like. You also have no idea how many issues there are going to be and what the content is going to be - I could end up shelling out for titles I already own - for example I already own Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spiderman 1-10 (includes AF origin comic) hardcover and I imagine this would hit the collection at some point.

After counting the spines of the books if the collection is as intended it's a total count of 60 books for 10 each (if the prices don't increase!). I think if there were an incentive to subscribing making the total cut 400 i'd probably be more interested but for 400 I might be able to buy a huge comic lot on ebay and get an even better collection knowing what it will contain.

So i'll be giving it a miss for the above financial/content reasons - if i was completely new to comics but became a fan of Marvel through their films and had cash to burn then this would be a very nice collection for me. Personally can't see the problem with it - Sorry Snake!

--------------------------------------

As for readin' I just finished the below. Wow, you can really tell that Jim Lee/someone new has taken over the writing duties for X-Factor. The new art also breathed life into the series. With the return of Apocalypse and his minions hi-jacking ship it had a sense of urgency to it I haven't really felt since Angel was reborn. Good stuff!

[image]http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/4/45/X-Factor_Vol_1_65.jpg[/image]

juanvasquez -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (1/1/2012 10:46:17 AM)

quote:

Aw crap! I think the best way to find out for sure is to buy the first issue; that way we can find it if it is a 'chidlren's colouring book' disguised as a comic book OR if it is a genuine, bona fide graphic novel that a seasoned comic book lover/reader wouldn't mind reading.....

Anyone willing?

Aw crap. Okay, i'll do it! [8|]

That's what I'm gonna do. First 3 issues equate to about 10 so I've ordered to see if it's worth it.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (1/1/2012 6:26:53 PM)

Aw crap! Went to Sainsbury's earlier, they've got a shi*load of magazines, newspapers, more magazines and no comics! So no Marvel collection issue 1! Really wanted to see what it was all about, so i could give my own personal overview on it, seeing as its dividing quite a bit of opinion in the comic book community. Oh well, i'll pop over to my local newsagents tomorrow, promise to post my views tomorrow!

Until then, 'have a better one'!

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/1/2012 8:18:16 AM)

[image]http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/8/8c/X-Factor_Vol_1_66.jpg[/image]

Quite enjoying this storyline, it's nicely structured and i'm liking the slow reveal of who Nathan will grow up to be.

Edit:

I just got back from WHsmiths and snagged a copy of Coming Home for 2.99. The first thing that surprised me is the weight/quality of the book. It looks great on the outside and in, The pages are well bound and it has the same feel you would expect from any hardback GN you could get from a waterstones. There's a nice initial re-cap with pictures if you're new to Spider-Man. I'm not new, but it was useful to be brought up to date with some of the events I've missed over the years rather than just throwing the reader in the deep end. I can imagine this will be more useful with characters i'm less familiar with.

The extras consist of:

2 page origin story splash page. Again not required for Spider-Man but will be useful if they ever do a lesser known character origin.
1 page each on artist/writer explaining how they broke into the industry and what were their most important works.
2 more pages of different interpretations for Spider-man and a 'rogues gallery. Waste of two pages.
4 or so pages of sketches by the cover artist.

I think the extras are very minimal and not worth putting in as a selling point. They're nice but I think fresh interviews with the artist/writer would have been a point which would make the books more sought after.

Overall after sampling this one book I can confirm that I will be subscriping. At 20 per month for two hardback books it's not a lot of money to come out of monthly wages and hopefully I end up with a huge collection of Marvel storylines in some nice hardback books on my shelf.

I really cannot see the problem with this re-printing line and how it insults 'true' comic book fans - you need to explain SE! [:D]

Also there were a few more future volumes announced within the actual book:

X-Men - Dark Pheonix
Iron Man - Extremis
The Ultimates Volume 1 (I don't own any of them so i'm hoping for all three! I'd love v3 for some hardback Mad artwork)
World War Hulk (I already own the softcover, balls)
Spider-Man - Revelations
Eternals

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/1/2012 4:33:19 PM)

Every sodding newsagents i popped into today had sold out of the Marvel Collection Issue 1!!! Seem's like they were selling out like 'hot cakes' according to one shop owner i spoke to. So i had to give up looking. On the way home i thought i'd drop by another newsagents just in case, and Lo and behold! Guess what? This shop had copies!

My first impressions was the price! Lets be honest, to pay 2.99 for a hardback copy of a well liked Spiderman graphic novel is a bargain in my books!

The binding was very good. The paper quality inside, very smooth, sturdy, basically what you expect for a hardback. I haven't read Coming Home yet, so i'll have to comment on the story later.

A gripe i suppose were the so called extra's inside as pointed out by Chojin, but those are minor quibbles.

My 'main' gripe was the cover; because lets be honest its not that great! I know its part of a collection but its a Spiderman story, we know its part of a collection, so the 'advertisement'' if you will atop the title, spoils it i think. I mean you could have had that as part of the wrapping? Oh well.

Also, before buying i was under the impression for some reason that the whole book would be a lot bigger than your average graphic novel. But rest assured, its the perfect size. The quality as i stated, is exzcellent.

So all in all, i think it's not too bad in my opinion. The fact that there'll be a lot of young boys and girls reading these books, maybe their first ever comic, is a plus for me.
Personally, i wont buy the whole collection, why? A) Its too damn expensive B) i'm not a big fan of Marvel comics and most of their heroes, except for Daredevil and The Punisher.

That said, i'll probably buy just one more issue; the Dark Phoenix comic which is the next issue, retailing for 6.99, afterwhich, all issues will be the usual 9.99.

So all in all, not too bad. [:)]

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/1/2012 5:14:54 PM)

I think (do some research first though!) if you subscribe you end up getting the third issue for free as well, so if you're going for issue 2 you may as well go for issue 3 as well. Just make sure you immediately cancel so you don't get charged for issue 4 as well.

Edit: and i'm two issues in and it's excellent reading. The art is JRjR at his best.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/1/2012 5:32:31 PM)

It wasn't available at my local WHSmiths so I've subscribed. 20 a month is ok and I'm not likely to have read many of them being a relative newcomer to Marvel's super heroes. Up to a 28 day wait for delivery though [&:].

petecriss8000 -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/1/2012 5:47:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

[image]http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/8/8c/X-Factor_Vol_1_66.jpg[/image]

Quite enjoying this storyline, it's nicely structured and i'm liking the slow reveal of who Nathan will grow up to be.

Edit:

I just got back from WHsmiths and snagged a copy of Coming Home for 2.99. The first thing that surprised me is the weight/quality of the book. It looks great on the outside and in, The pages are well bound and it has the same feel you would expect from any hardback GN you could get from a waterstones. There's a nice initial re-cap with pictures if you're new to Spider-Man. I'm not new, but it was useful to be brought up to date with some of the events I've missed over the years rather than just throwing the reader in the deep end. I can imagine this will be more useful with characters i'm less familiar with.

The extras consist of:

2 page origin story splash page. Again not required for Spider-Man but will be useful if they ever do a lesser known character origin.
1 page each on artist/writer explaining how they broke into the industry and what were their most important works.
2 more pages of different interpretations for Spider-man and a 'rogues gallery. Waste of two pages.
4 or so pages of sketches by the cover artist.

I think the extras are very minimal and not worth putting in as a selling point. They're nice but I think fresh interviews with the artist/writer would have been a point which would make the books more sought after.

Overall after sampling this one book I can confirm that I will be subscriping. At 20 per month for two hardback books it's not a lot of money to come out of monthly wages and hopefully I end up with a huge collection of Marvel storylines in some nice hardback books on my shelf.

I really cannot see the problem with this re-printing line and how it insults 'true' comic book fans - you need to explain SE! [:D]

Also there were a few more future volumes announced within the actual book:

X-Men - Dark Pheonix
Iron Man - Extremis
The Ultimates Volume 1 (I don't own any of them so i'm hoping for all three! I'd love v3 for some hardback Mad artwork)
Spider-Man - Revelations
Eternals

I should point out the the Volume 1 of The Ultimates is the first HALF of volume 1, rather than the full series before it became Ultimates 2.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/1/2012 7:19:56 PM)

Okay, started reading reading COMING HOME a little while ago. Just finiished first chapter or issue, the artwork by John Romita Jr is simply exquisite! I fell in love with his work after reading Daredevil: Man Without Fear, and here, its equally stunning too!

Alright people, i've a confession to make. This is my FIRST ever Spiderman comic which i am A) reading, and B) own in my collection!!!! I know! How could i have not read any Spidey comics right? Well, to be honest i've been reading comics since a child, and i've only ever been interested in BATMAN!!! Ha ha!! I did TRY reading a Spiderman comic once, it felt too...juvenile! Wheras characters like Batman, Daredevil are grown men, or in the case of BATMAN: 100, a very very old grown man!!

But hopefully this comic here might change things. So i'll give it a read, and hopefully by the end, i might even consider buying a few Spiderman titles! Who knows!? [:D]

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/1/2012 8:10:17 PM)

Your first Spider-Man comic! You've been missing out!

quote:

I should point out the the Volume 1 of The Ultimates is the first HALF of volume 1, rather than the full series before it became Ultimates 2.

Yeah i'm aware of this Pete, I read the first volume last year when I borrowed it from a friend. If Ultimates 3 is included, Ultimates will end up taking up 5-6 volumes in the series which I can't see happening.

quote:

Up to a 28 day wait for delivery though

I think this is just the release schedule as it says on sale in newsagents each month. I doubt it will take that long for them to ship you your first issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and I finished Coming Home and was very impressed. Hopefully future releases match the quality. Loved the fight between Spidey and Morlun, it was absolutely brutal. Romita does destroyed scenery like no other haha.

Olaf -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/1/2012 8:19:47 PM)

quote:

X-Men - Dark Pheonix
Iron Man - Extremis
Spider-Man - Revelations
Eternals

Is that the Kirby Eternals being reprinted or is it (presumably) the Gaiman reboot? I've already got the latter but the original is missing from my Kirby collection, so I would definitely consider picking it up despite the price. Mainly cos the hardback reissue that came out a few years ago is A) eluding me and B) expensive.

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/1/2012 7:26:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

X-Men - Dark Pheonix
Iron Man - Extremis
Spider-Man - Revelations
Eternals

Is that the Kirby Eternals being reprinted or is it (presumably) the Gaiman reboot? I've already got the latter but the original is missing from my Kirby collection, so I would definitely consider picking it up despite the price. Mainly cos the hardback reissue that came out a few years ago is A) eluding me and B) expensive.

It's the Gaiman reboot. Never read any 'Eternals' myself.

Wild about Wilder -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/1/2012 10:30:04 AM)

Bionic Man 4 it's a really interesting read from Smith & Hester they've taken their time but have given you a good back story. I'm also quite interested with some of the other stuff DYNAMITE are doing at the moment & may invest in some of their other titles.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/1/2012 11:35:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

It wasn't available at my local WHSmiths so I've subscribed. 20 a month is ok and I'm not likely to have read many of them being a relative newcomer to Marvel's super heroes. Up to a 28 day wait for delivery though [&:].

All in good time mate! And trust me - it'll be worth the wait [:)]

jcthefirst -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/1/2012 1:30:58 PM)

Christmas presents
[image]http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/2/d0/4beafad99a68d/detail.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.dccomics.com/media/product/1/1/11734_400x600.jpg[/image]

Haven't started Bats yet, but Supreme Power is pretty cool.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/1/2012 1:51:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

All in good time mate! And trust me - it'll be worth the wait [:)]

Yeah I'm really looking forward. I've not read much Spiderman so it should make for a change.

I realised just before Xmas that my local library stocks graphic so I've been liberally reserving a load of Batman and Judge Dredd graphic novels.

Oh and I got Arkham Asylum off the missus for Xmas. I thought it was brilliant, especially Dave McKean's ink work. I loved his covers for Sandman so I was looking forward to seeing his work on Batman. In my opinion it's amazing and the story's a cracker as well.

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/1/2012 5:46:46 PM)

[image]http://www.uncannyxmen.net/covers/x-factor/x-factor68.jpg[/image]

Farewell Nathan Christopher, your youth was short-lived and boring!

Harry Tuttle -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/1/2012 7:28:37 PM)

I'm currently part way through

[image]https://www.bibdsl.co.uk/imagegallery2/bds/200916/9781846530814.JPG[/image]

and it's pretty decent. I'm going to have a closer look at the X-Men back catalogue. I've really enjoyed what I've read so far.

petecriss8000 -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/1/2012 7:52:12 PM)

I honestly just read the first half of that today as well (though mine is on the laptop, as I couldn't find that digest in stores and am working my way through a selection of Claremont trades and hardcovers and downloaded issues). You should have a look in The Works (formerly Bargain Books), they often have a decent selection of those smaller collections from this era of X-Men and currently it's the only way to get a lot of those issues at all (I think they collect everything from when the new X-Men debuted in 1975 or so right up 'til before Mutant Massacre in the mid-late 80s).

Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI