RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (24/10/2012 5:24:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

Judge Dredd case files 5 and I should be reading 2000ad prog 1860 but the focker ain't turned up [sm=fighting01.gif]

Small word indeed [8D]

Lol! Persevere mate, i'm sure it'll turn up! I picked up mine earlier today.

I've signed on to the 2000AD forum - and its nice to see some familiar faces over there [;)]

talpacino -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (24/10/2012 11:12:21 PM)

Just finished Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft.

Thought it was great. Nasty, clever, tense and a bit creepy. Recommended.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (28/10/2012 10:24:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

Just finished Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft.

Thought it was great. Nasty, clever, tense and a bit creepy. Recommended.

Sounds really cool mate! I might track it down soon. Myself, i'm reading Strontium Dog file 02 right now and am enjoying it immensely! So many excellent 2000AD comics out there, i've yet to read a poor one.

After i've finished this, i might get Judge Dredd case files 04 or 14 for the Judge child quest storyline and Necropolis respectively.

By the way, furry if you're reading this then how goes your reading of Building Stories? Amazon are selling it for really cheap right now and i was very tempted, just worried about where i'd store it - i've run out of space for my comics! :-D

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (29/10/2012 7:33:42 AM)

[image]http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/amazing-spider-man/403-1.jpg[/image]

one of the very first Spider-Man issues I read back in '97

[:)]

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (29/10/2012 9:50:07 AM)

Thats a good comic.
The artwork of Mark Bagley is really good.

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (29/10/2012 5:47:55 PM)

Yeah, big fan of Mark Bagley. He's one of the best Spidey artists ever.

Today I finished....

[image]http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/6/6a/Amazing_Fantasy_Vol_1_17.jpg[/image]

Kurt Busiek seems to be the name to go to when you want a story which takes place back in the 60's but still manages to seem relevant and fresh in the current age. This three issue run which takes place between Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 is a respectful expansion on the origin of the character. It shows Peters struggle for friendship and to fit in whilst contrasting this with his first stints as Spider-Man. He even shows the hero as a flawed human, unsure of himself when confronting new challenges.

Brilliant stuff imo - a shame I didn't see the greatness my first time round.

furrybastard -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (31/10/2012 6:31:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie
By the way, furry if you're reading this then how goes your reading of Building Stories? Amazon are selling it for really cheap right now and i was very tempted, just worried about where i'd store it - i've run out of space for my comics! :-D

I haven't even started it yet, Nexus [&:]

Been so busy at work etc. that I've just been reading some smaller, shorter stuff at the moment (like the excellent Glory); I need a full day off to get properly stuck into Building Stories! I should get a move on actually; I've just bought a ticket to a talk with the books author Chris Ware - as well as Charles Burns and Adrian Tomine - that's happening here next week.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (1/11/2012 10:12:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

I haven't even started it yet, Nexus [&:]

Been so busy at work etc. that I've just been reading some smaller, shorter stuff at the moment (like the excellent Glory); I need a full day off to get properly stuck into Building Stories! I should get a move on actually; I've just bought a ticket to a talk with the books author Chris Ware - as well as Charles Burns and Adrian Tomine - that's happening here next week.

Wow! That sounds awesome! Do get back to me after you finish reading it - your advice on comics is invaluable mate.
[sm=happy34.gif]

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/11/2012 7:28:19 AM)

[image]http://www.disposableheroes.co.uk/images/uploads/AUG122228.jpg[/image]

Just finished the above - it wasn't what I was expecting at all (in a good way!). Full of dark humor and some truly disturbing scenes it was a very fun read which was over far too quickly.

Vadersville -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/11/2012 6:55:18 PM)

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UIoQV4EkHRg/T71gARaaBCI/AAAAAAAAAkY/65K8K8CPCmY/s1600/Batman_+Arkham+City_+End+Game+%231+-+DC+Comics.jpg[/image]

*ARKHAM CITY GAME SPOILERS*

The missus got me the Arkham City TPB for my birthday so having finished that and started playing the game all over again I downloaded this comic follow up. I've also read the odd issue here and there of the print version of Arkham Unhinged so had mixed expectations of this. Sadly, there's no story by Paul Dini, this is written by the same guy as Arkham Unhinged, but whereas that seems to consist of an amazing looking comic and a short story that does more to contradict the events of the game thatn build on them, this is actually a really nice Joker/Batman tale. Set after the events of the game this is meant to brideg the game between Batman dumping Joker's dead body on the hood of Gordon's patrol car and the events of the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC story (which also lacks Dini's writing and is rather pants). End Game has more than a few references to the events of the game but could just as easily be a "What if?" one shot about the Joker's last scheme, set in motion after his passing. The story does jump around a bit and its not always immediately eveident when exactly in the timeline a particular scene is taking place but that's quickly forgiven by a really chilling flashback to one of Joker's most vile atrocities and the suitabl;y brutal retribution brought down on him by Batman. It's not entirely perfect the resolution seems a little rushed, it's not clear how Bats manages to cheat death or why he decides to leave his costume behind for the cops to find and the artwork whilst beautiful and distubring at the same time doesn't really reflect the style of the Arkham-verse. That said, if the Arkham Unhinged started reading more like this then I might just decide picking it up as a regular title.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (5/11/2012 2:29:54 PM)

finished reading MAZE WORLD a couple of days ago, and i have to say it was absolutely rivetting. Alan Grant's dark nightmarish fantasy storytelling was perfectly complemented by Arthur Ranson's superb artwork. A few pages in when i got to the first double page spread - it took my breath away! Its a really immersive story about a man, Adam Cadman who is sentenced to death by hanging for the murder of his brother. But as he hangs there, he isn't quite dead and fleets between reality and fantasy. It is here that he enters the realm of Maze World; a fantasy world where everything is based on mazes. Temples loom in the background and winged creatures roam the skies. It reminded me of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, along with Jim Henson's Labyrinth. But it is more mature and grown up than the aforementioned. For starters, our 'hero' is a murderer. He wears his hangmans hood at all times - hence he is seen as the prophecised 'hooded one' who will bring freedom to the people of Maze World from the tyrant rulers. One of those working with the tyrant king is Darkman; a scary and intimidating foe.

It is a surreal and scary fantasy epic - but an enjoyable one at that.

5/5

I also finished reading SWAMP THING VOL 1: BURY THEM BONES, which was a brilliant read. Really surprised by how good this was. Yanick Paquette's artwork is a revelation. Snyder has crafted a really intrigueing story with a lot of gore and thrills. Its a perfect reboot of an iconic character - and a great introduction for people unfamiliar with The Green Knights earlier stories especially from the master himself - Alan Moore. I loved Snyders take on it - the story built up perfectly with a few twists and turns. And the ending for this volume was totally awesome ''I will bring them war''. Yes indeed! I want more where that came from thank you very much!

5/5

As well as the above i also finished JUDGE DREDD CASE FILES 14 which was one hell of a read! Once i started i couldnt put it down! One reason why - NECROPOLIS! The sisters of death have been unleashed on MC1 and soon big brother Death and his cronies are also released - bringing the city to its knees. Only one man along with his band of misfits can stop him- yes, Judge Dredd! I loved the look and feel of the story thanks largely to Carlos Ezquerra's magnificent artwork. The painted works and the colours make the story stand out. His rendering of MC1 as a deathly morgue was especially eye catching and special. So good is his artwork that you can forgive him for leaving out Mortis' tail! But it is made doubly enjoyable by Wagners gripping edge of the seat storytelling. One moment in particular when Mortis is chasing a band of young cadets through the underground sewer system was really spine chilling! The look of the underground world where the Troggies dwell was very well done. Its a really memorable epic only slightly bettered by The Apocalypse War i would say. Having said that, i have yet to read the Chaos War storyline - so thats another storyline i look forward to reading. Case file 14 is a gem in my opinion - and a welcome addition to my comic library.

5/5

I also started NORTHLANDER VOL 3, the first two issues in this volume are just breathtaking. Both storywise and the magnificent artwork by Dean Ormston. Theres a two page spread where we see the viking ships appearing like ghost ships near the shore line and the figure of a small boy in the background. Well let me tell you this - it is fucking beautiful! You can frame that spread and it can sit beside any great piece no questions about it.

So these are just some of the stuff ive read this week. And i still havent got to the single issue comics! More to follow...

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (5/11/2012 8:55:10 PM)

[image]http://www.incrediblehulkonline.com/hulk95.jpg[/image]

This is the third time i've read through Planet Hulk. I always thought it lost a lot of the tension and fun once it moves out of the gladiatorial arena. Also I don't see why any of the TPBs or collections don't include the build up where he actually gets betrayed or the Illuminati prequel where they discuss the Hulk being a threat. Ah well.

"Their machines and heroes won't save them"

"From what?"

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (6/11/2012 10:52:40 AM)

Comics i've read over at comiXology; most of these titles were free and i urge anyone who has yet to read some of them - to have a look. Titles like Bigfoot and City of Dust are real gems.

Bigfoot #1: Steve Niles, Richard Corben: This is a brilliant fucking comic! Richard Corben's artwork is absolutely awesome. His creepy and atmospheric style is well suited to this horror story. I loved his work on Hellboy (The Crooked Man) and here he is just as brilliant. Its a damn shame that the TPB for Bigfoot is unavailable online because its such an awesome comic and one i thoroughly enjoyed reading.

Red Wing #1: A really enjoyable sci-fi/ time travel comic. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has read the trade, if the rest is as good as the opening issue then i might invest in this title.

Epic Kill #1: Thrilling little read. Our protagonist is one nifty little girl, interested to learn more about her background and the cause to her amnesia. She's so fucking dangerous she makes Jason Bourne look like Borat!

Howard lovecraft and the frozen kingdom #1: Absolutely beautiful! This comic is full of homage to H.P Lovecraft, even the main characters name is in reference to the master of macabre. I really enjoyed this - the artwork is really superb, as is the story about a boy who stumbles upon a world filled with danger and intrigue. He meets a monster who he befriends- who looks like the Hell Hounds from Hellboy! Which is no surprise as it reminded me of said film and comic. Really interested to see where this goes.

30 days of night #1 Steve Niles: Terrific premise with really unsettling artwork. I saw the movie based on this comic and loved it. I might buy the omnibus trade soon.

Chew #1: Brilliant! I heard about this comic for a while now. I must buy the trade ASAP!

Planetoid #1: Ken Garring: Woah! The artwork for this sci-fi comic is stunning. I love these sort of stories, set on distant worlds full of awesome imagery. I cannot wait for this to come out on collected form.

Lurker #1 Steve Niles: An enjoyable comic.

Edge of doom #1 Steve Niles: This was a really brilliant read. Steve Niles is becoming one of my favourite horror writers right now. This is a creepy little tale about a divorced man who find's something at the bottom of his garden. I really need to buy the TPB so i can read the other stories in the collection.

City of dust #1 Steve Niles, Zid: Wow! I was absolutely blown away by this! The artwork by Zid is fucking brilliant! Its like Blade Runner crossed with 1984 with a smidgeon of Minority Report and Equilibrium. A world where religious thinking / iconography or mere stories are banned. Our protagonist Phillip Khrome is haunted by the past as he was responsible for his fathers arrest by the authoritarian police. He spends his off hours visiting a sexy prostitute in the seedier part of the city namely the lower levels. The rich seldomn venture there and live high up with their own paid security to protect them. But there are some brutal unexplained murders happening in the city, and it is at one of these scenes that detective Khrome comes upon a something which changes him. I have to say i absolutely loved it! So much so i just ordered the trade yesterday!

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (6/11/2012 12:05:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

[image]http://www.incrediblehulkonline.com/hulk95.jpg[/image]

This is the third time i've read through Planet Hulk. I always thought it lost a lot of the tension and fun once it moves out of the gladiatorial arena. Also I don't see why any of the TPBs or collections don't include the build up where he actually gets betrayed or the Illuminati prequel where they discuss the Hulk being a threat. Ah well.

"Their machines and heroes won't save them"

"From what?"

I read it twice and i still think its a brillliant story - definitely one of Hulks best. But it just falls slightly short of becoming a classic. I agree that after the gladiator scenes it does go tame somewhat. But the cameo by The Silver Surfer is awesome, so's the artwork. I really love the collected trade with the brilliant extra's at the end. One of my favoirite Marvel comics without a doubt. I've still to read the sequel - but unfortunately i've heard it isn't a patch on the original.

jcthefirst -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (6/11/2012 1:03:09 PM)

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Themanwholaughs.jpg[/image]

Just finsihed this. Really liked it as Batman's introduction to the Joker. It follows soon after Year One if I'm correct and I liked how it tied in with the Joker origin story laid out in TKJ.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (6/11/2012 3:28:21 PM)

The Man Who Laughs is a brilliant comic, and one of my favourite Joker stories. It shows him at his most brutal best/ worst - much like The Killing Joke although arguably this is a more enjoyable read. I also love the extra stories at the end, the one starring The Green Lantern if i remember correctly.

furrybastard -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (6/11/2012 11:22:24 PM)

quote:

Red Wing #1: A really enjoyable sci-fi/ time travel comic. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has read the trade, if the rest is as good as the opening issue then i might invest in this title.

I read the issues as they came out. I don't think it delivered as much as that great first issue promised but it's a fun read with some fantastic artwork. I loved the design work (particularly those weird square fighter jets!) but reading it month to month meant I got a little confused (this happens a lot of time travel stories, as well as my own advancing age!) I'd been meaning to pick up the trade actually and see if it reads better as a whole; I suspect it does!

I'd highly recommend Hickman and Pitarra's follow-up (at least I think they're the same creative team!?) The Manhattan Projects; the first trade was released recently (one of those cheap Image volume ones where it's under a tenner, like Saga, Glory etc.)

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (7/11/2012 5:41:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

I read the issues as they came out. I don't think it delivered as much as that great first issue promised but it's a fun read with some fantastic artwork. I loved the design work (particularly those weird square fighter jets!) but reading it month to month meant I got a little confused (this happens a lot of time travel stories, as well as my own advancing age!) I'd been meaning to pick up the trade actually and see if it reads better as a whole; I suspect it does!

I'd highly recommend Hickman and Pitarra's follow-up (at least I think they're the same creative team!?) The Manhattan Projects; the first trade was released recently (one of those cheap Image volume ones where it's under a tenner, like Saga, Glory etc.)

Thanks for the insight furry. I must admit i too like the design of the jets - its like an X wing crossed with the car from Back to the Future! [:D] i might buy the trade sometime in the future. I also read Bullet Proof Coffin #1 a while ago and enjoyed it. The artwork by Hine is superb - very Kirbyesque. I think you pointed that out in one of your posts a while ago. i'll keep an eye out for The Manhatten Project too.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (7/11/2012 5:56:37 PM)

I may have to give Manhattan Projects a proper go. I tried reading the first issue but I couldn't really get into it at the time but I'm willing to give it another try based on good word of mouth and the fact that Hickman has a good rep.

Anyone else reading Grant Morrison's Happy!? I've read the first 2 issues and it's absolutely off the charts bonkers but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Darick Robertson's art makes it look a bit too similar to The Boys but it looks good nonetheless. It's only a 4 issue story so I'm intrigued to see where it goes over the 2 remaining issues.

Image have produced some real gems this year.

Chojin -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (8/11/2012 11:10:33 AM)

[image]http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/amazing-spider-man/404-1.jpg[/image]

Personally I think Peters decision to join the Jackal is lazy and stupid writing. Whoever came up with that one made a huge error - If Ben had the same news that he was a clone, what stopped him siding with a Spidey Super-villain? I can't fault the art at all though, it's just brilliant.

Olaf -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (9/11/2012 1:35:01 AM)

Hellblazer.

[:(]

sanchia -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (9/11/2012 10:29:57 AM)

Have you read the one with the little boy crime boss yet? That is...er... interesting.

Olaf -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (9/11/2012 12:51:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Have you read the one with the little boy crime boss yet? That is...er... interesting.

Son of Man? It *is* pretty interesting. [:D]

I'm just more depressed since it's the only comic I've been buying somewhat regularly the last few years, and now DC in their infinite wisdom have decided to cancel it. It at least gives me an opportunity to catch up on different patches of the series that I haven't read (the TPB releases seem to be a bit all over the place, though I understand they're re-releasing them at the moment), but still. [:(]

Harry Tuttle -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (9/11/2012 2:59:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I'm just more depressed since it's the only comic I've been buying somewhat regularly the last few years, and now DC in their infinite wisdom have decided to cancel it.

There'll be a new Constantine series launched in March though which begs the question why the hell would they cancel Hellblazer in the first place? Still, Robert Venditti on writing duties should be interesting although hopefully it won't have any effect on the quality of X-O Manowar which he is absolutely killing (in the modern, good sense) at the moment.

Olaf -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (9/11/2012 4:14:41 PM)

Yeah, seemingly this new version of Constantine exists within the proper DCU (and is a fairly rubbish bastardised version of the real thing from the look of it). I don't actually have any problem with more than one version of a character running separately from each other (if I don't like this new one, I could just avoid it or whatever), but cancelling the original - not to mention the only Vertigo book that's been running uninterrupted since the 80s - so there can be only one version is the kind of stupidity that I can't really get my head around. It doesn't make any sense as an attempt to get us Hellblazer readers to buy JLD and the new book - it's already backfired horribly if it was.

It's a shame that DC are taking such a shitty approach to Vertigo as it's got a lot of good stuff running at the moment - Sweet Tooth's finishing next month but The Unwritten and Saucer Country are pretty great (I missed out on American Vampire when it started but I'm currently reading it in trades). But you know, they can always make room for another Batman comic or six I guess.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (9/11/2012 5:19:53 PM)

quote:

quote:

Son of Man? It *is* pretty interesting. [:D]

I'm just more depressed since it's the only comic I've been buying somewhat regularly the last few years, and now DC in their infinite wisdom have decided to cancel it. It at least gives me an opportunity to catch up on different patches of the series that I haven't read (the TPB releases seem to be a bit all over the place, though I understand they're re-releasing them at the moment), but still. [:(]

Bastards.

sanchia -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (9/11/2012 5:37:30 PM)

So Constantine is going to be a mainstream version rather than the mature imprint. I had heard that there are plans to close down the Vertigo brand which this move does suggest may be on the boards.

Olaf -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (9/11/2012 6:46:53 PM)

quote:

So Constantine is going to be a mainstream version rather than the mature imprint. I had heard that there are plans to close down the Vertigo brand which this move does suggest may be on the boards.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well when I saw this. If they're going to cancel the longest-running and best-loved book currently on the imprint, then I doubt they have much interest in preserving any of the rest. Would be a shame, though perhaps not out of character for the company - any pretence of giving a toss about interesting, creator-driven comics surely went out the window with Before Watchmen anyway.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (9/11/2012 8:29:22 PM)

[image]http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m560/Nexus-wookie/2012-11-09_201417.jpg[/image]

+++ spoilers +++

Wow! What a Prog!

Heres why;

Balls.

Yes no one has balls more bigger than the 2000AD team! This comic is light years ahead of the American stuff and it just keeps on getting better. I remember reading Millar's Enemy of the State some time ago. It was an enjoyable comic, Wolverine going ape shit and slicing up everything left right and centre. But there was a really jarring moment inbetween where we see Wolvie going after the President. But we never get to see him offing the Bush alike president - did Millar bottle it? Who knows. Maybe he had reservations. But here at 2000AD the word 'bottling it' doesn't exist; thats because Hammerstein blows the big man's head clean off! Wow! What a read! And the bombshell at the end was really brilliant. Ever since ABC Warriors had switched to black and white i've been enjoying the hell out of it.

Judge Dredd Part 3 was awesome aswell. The opening page was brilliant and showed how much the guy wanted to bugger off from MC1. Bachmann is one calculating and cold bitch! I knew there was something up with her from Part 1 after that wry smile she throws when Hershey's tearing Dredd a new one. The ending has got me gagging for the next prog!

ABC Warriors as i've mentioned was awesome this week. Its amazing to think that a story which started off the weakest is now one of my favourite! Langley's artwork is superb as ever.

Brass Sun is beautiful. Very close perfection. The only downside is its too damn short!

Low life is absolutely hilarious! Franks ''farewell sensitive Klegg..'' speech had me in stitches [:D]thats another story which is fast becoming a favourite. As for The Simping Detective, i'm not a big fan unfortunately. Point's jibberish does get a little tedious at times but the black and white artwork by Simon Coleby remains superb.

So all in all, another strong programme! Roll on next week.

furrybastard -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (9/11/2012 9:32:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

Yeah, that's what I thought as well when I saw this. If they're going to cancel the longest-running and best-loved book currently on the imprint, then I doubt they have much interest in preserving any of the rest. Would be a shame, though perhaps not out of character for the company - any pretence of giving a toss about interesting, creator-driven comics surely went out the window with Before Watchmen anyway.

Morrison revealed a couple of weeks ago that they were trying to get him to do a 'Before Invisibles' kind of thing. With this news of Hellblazer's cancellation, Vertigo is essentially done and dusted. Start writing the epitaphs now.

I never understood why they were so poor at collecting the Hellblazer trades in order. They could have nice, big bumper editions collecting a load of issues and numbered correctly. Vertigo's trade program elsewhere is practically a model of perfection; I never understood why they were so bad about collecting Hellblazer with the same kind of consistency.

Lots of speculation out there that the new Sandman: Year Zero (or whatever it's called) coming out is an order from top-down and Neil Gaiman was given the choice of doing it or, if he didn't, they'd break their old agreement and just do it anyway with other creators. The Sandman contract is much tighter than Moore and Gibbons Watchmen contract to the fair but, frankly, no individual could ever sue an entity like DC Entertainment without spending many years, a hell of a lot of energy and millions of dollars, throughout which they would never be allowed to discuss it and ultimately probably just end up settling and signing an NDA. There's also talk about the new Sandman being a bridge for introducing those characters into the DCU mainstream. Hearing some talk of that Guillermo Del Toro-helmed "mystical DC movie" would indicate the possible inclusion of Sandman and co.

Of course, Neil Gaiman may actually have no real problem with the idea. It's not like he's going to ever really go back to that world in a meaningful way so maybe letting others have a shot is fine by him.

Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI