RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack

Vadersville -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (29/11/2011 8:23:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Vadersville,

Thanks for the info mate - I will definetly look it up! The cover art looks flucking amazing! I'll keep my eyes peeled.....

Regarding R.I.P, a really good read, I would definetly love to read the next story arc/follo on, so your info is invaluable.

Cheers! [:D]

No problems mate. Battle for the Cowl follows R.I.P. nicely, especially since Tony S Daniel does the artwork for both (he's on writing duties for BFTC). There's a Battle for the Cowl companion but you don't nneed to read that really. Its just a collection of stories setting up what other characters (e.g. Catwoman, Oracle, Riddler, etc) are doing in the aftermath of R.I.P..

matthewforan -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (1/12/2011 3:56:01 PM)

Just finished book 2 of Ultimate Spider-Man, truly outstanding. One of the best graphic novels I've read...

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (1/12/2011 6:14:40 PM)

Midway through reading DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN by Frank Miller, which is freakin' amazing! Seriously, after Batman, Daredevil is fast becoming my favourite comicbook/ comicbook character. The artwork by Mazuchelli is gorgeous. The story is brilliant to say the least. Matt Murdock has lost everything, I mean EVERYTHING thanks to the Kingpin, who has discovered his identity. Matt's ex-girlfriend sold him out for a bleeding drug fix. Daredevil is witnessing hell on earth, by the end you know that he will literally BE BORN AGAIN hence the title. I think it's an awesome read, and alongside THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR, makes for a freakin awesome back to back read!

I urge everyone to give this awesome comic a read! You, know, its slowly crept into my top 10 list of greatest graphic novels! Its that good! [:)]

matthewforan -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (1/12/2011 8:59:31 PM)

That DareDevil run is awesome, one of my favourites and probably in my top ten of all time.

As for me just finished the third Spider-Man Ultimate it's really good, think that maybe the introduction of Venom was a little soon but only time will tell at this point.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (1/12/2011 9:47:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

That DareDevil run is awesome, one of my favourites and probably in my top ten of all time.

As for me just finished the third Spider-Man Ultimate it's really good, think that maybe the introduction of Venom was a little soon but only time will tell at this point.

Ah man, tell me about it! They're masterpieces- no other word for it.

As of late, i've heard there's been really good Spiderman comics like you mentioned. I'm thinking about giving Spidey comics a go, which comic would be the best place for me to start? One of the reason's i've been put off from reading 'em, and so many Marvel titles, is becuase theres just so many of them I dont know where to start!!!

Any recommendation on what Spiderman comics/ graphic novels to read, would be appreciated! [:)]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/12/2011 9:04:56 PM)

Just finished reading DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN, it was a really enjoyable read, with excellent artwork by David Mazucchelli, I know most here have read it, but those who haven't, seriously read it ASAP, one of the best Marvel comic's i've read! I''ll be keeping my eyes peeled for more Daredevil titles in the future, heard Ed Brubakers work was very good.

DARDEDEVIL: BORN AGAIN ***** 5/5

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/12/2011 9:35:13 PM)

Just started reading HELLBOY VOL 10: THE CROOKED MAN , I borrowed it from a mate of mine along with B.P.R.D: WAR ON FROGS (the comics an offshot of Hellboy), first one (HELLBOY) looks like a really good read, with gorgeous artwork to boot by various artists. I'll keep you updated as to how it went.

BTW My hand's are itching to buy my next HELLBOY title, HELLBOY: THE BRIDE OF HELL looks promising. Read good reviews about it also its going for really cheap online!

First things first though, THE CROOKED MAN awaits......

darko18 -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (2/12/2011 9:52:00 PM)

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 10:34:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: darko18

Bought Carnage: Family Feud for 19 and read it in 20 minutes. A real let-down, too. Annoying. Just very under-developed. The only good stuff was the banter between Spidey and Iron Man.

Speaking of Spidey, I also picked up Death of Spider-Man and got a lump in my throat in the middle of Waterstone's when I saw the cover. "You did good, kid." [:(]

Also, The Sandman volume two.

I'm definitely a DC.

Have you tried shopping online for comics mate? Because 19 seems an awful lot to pay for a comic you didnt enjoy reading, I suggest you try reading up about a book before you purchase. What I normally do is, say I see a comic or a film for that matter I feel like buying, I try and go online on my phone to read some reviews on that product, I know certain comics are down to personal taste, what you like may not be someone elses cup of tea, but overall, places like Amazon give good balanced reviews on certain products. So the comic in question, you might have been warned before hand what to expect if you did check online. Having said that, not all of us might have the previlage of having internet on the phone. But I find it helps.

I too used to shop for my stuff , namely comics at Watwerstones and Borders, but some of the prices are extortionate IMO. For example, I ordered HELLBOY VOL 2 last night for only 8.76 from The Book Depository, and the same book is 14.99 at Waterstones!!!! Of course, if someone has the cash to flash, it wont make a difference anyhow. Just a thought.

Cheers. [:D]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 1:04:56 PM)

Just finished reading HELLBOY VOL 10: THE CROOKED MAN; and I have to say that it was freakin' awesome shit i've read, period. Seriously guys, I urge you to read this comic ASAP, you will not be able to put I down!!

The volume is a collection of short stories, 4 in total. Each illustrated by different artists. The best of the bunch is the first story, Crooked Man, written by Mignola and art by Richard Corben, he is a name I must look out for in the future because his artwork is fucking excellent!

And the story (which won the 2009 Eisner award for short story) is brilliant! Hellboy is in the deep south, investigating some witchly goings on. He meets this man, Tom Ferrell, a witch (or Warlock) who tells Hellboy of the time he met this beautiful witch, and they both summoned the devil together. How ever as soon as the devil, or the 'Crooked Man' turns up, he legs it!!! He remains repentant of what he has done. However, years later, the devil is back to reclaim what is rightfully his. Later on Hellboy, Tom and a priest are holed up in a broken down church, and they're surrounded by the Crooked Man and his motley crew of hideous witches. They taunt Tom, offer the priest worldy riches. But they had'nt bet on Hellboy!!!

Seriously guys, you need to read this awesome story, it is one of the best stories i've read in a long time! Real southern gothic horror, and the Crooked Man is one scary devil!! And its not just Hellboy fan's who will love this book, but comic book fan's in general!

The other stories are excellent aswell, the 2nd story wherin Hellboy meets Blakbeard, is really a fun read, as is 'In the Chapel of Moloch' illustrated by Mignola himself.

This comic book is a masterpiece in comic book horror. I love it! [&o][:)]

HELLBOY VOL 10; THE CROOKED MAN ***** 5/5

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 3:26:46 PM)

Reading B.P.R.D: WAR ON FROGS, for those who arent familiar with the world of HELLBOY, B.P.R.D stands for the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defence, the comic is an offshot of the HELLBOY comics. Big Red himmself is not present in these books, these comics are based more around other fellow spook busters, Abe Apien, Liz, Krauss (from Hellboy 2: The Golden Army) and other colourful characters.

Into my first chapter, already looks like another gem!! [:D]

matthewforan -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 8:23:19 PM)

quote:

quote:

As of late, i've heard there's been really good Spiderman comics like you mentioned. I'm thinking about giving Spidey comics a go, which comic would be the best place for me to start? One of the reason's i've been put off from reading 'em, and so many Marvel titles, is becuase theres just so many of them I dont know where to start!!!

Any recommendation on what Spiderman comics/ graphic novels to read, would be appreciated! [:)]

You know what you should do, go watch the cartoon series Spectacular Spider-Man. You can get them all on youtube, there's two seasons and it has excellent introductions for everyone. But Ultimate Spider-Man is a great place to begin, good solid introductions to everyone but they are trying something different which I like especially Aunt May. The Amazing Spider-Man is also rather great but it takes place when Parker is in his late 20's to be honest there's so much it's hard to go wrong but just make sure it's an origins one if you're starting without knowing anything about the character.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 9:05:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

You know what you should do, go watch the cartoon series Spectacular Spider-Man. You can get them all on youtube, there's two seasons and it has excellent introductions for everyone. But Ultimate Spider-Man is a great place to begin, good solid introductions to everyone but they are trying something different which I like especially Aunt May. The Amazing Spider-Man is also rather great but it takes place when Parker is in his late 20's to be honest there's so much it's hard to go wrong but just make sure it's an origins one if you're starting without knowing anything about the character.

Thanks for the info mate!! I''ve watched Spectacular Spiderman Vol 1 already, bought it for my son a while back and have to admit, I enjoyed it too!!! I'll look out for Vol 2, and check out the titles you've mentioned.

Cheers! [:D][:D]

Olaf -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 9:12:50 PM)

easily the best Spider-Man story of all time:

[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5141uXgYyxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/image] Spider-Man x Dostoevsky x William Blake x old EC horror books. it's magnificent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spider-Man-Kravens-Last-Premiere-Amazing/dp/078512330X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322946536&sr=8-2

directorscut -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 9:19:25 PM)

The Amazing Spider-Man #37.

Spider-Man follows a guy ... by getting into the backseat of a car and telling another guy to follow him. Unsurprisingly he loses him.

Quality writing there Stan.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 9:25:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5141uXgYyxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/image] Spider-Man x Dostoevsky x William Blake x old EC horror books. it's magnificent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spider-Man-Kravens-Last-Premiere-Amazing/dp/078512330X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322946536&sr=8-2

My god! That cover art looks awesome! Thanks Olaf, thats definitely going on my shopping list!! [:D]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 9:28:10 PM)

Er hold on there a minute, WILLIAM BLAKE as in the POET WILLIAM BLAKE??

Olaf -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 9:40:24 PM)

haha yeah - it came out during the late-80s post-Watchmen "dark and gritty" thing but the tone is just too weird and unsettling to be compared to the majority of books in that period - there's no Spider-Man books that compare it to in terms of atmosphere, it's just out there on its own really. The only comparisons I can think of in terms of mainstream superhero comics would be something like Arkham Aslyum, but something like Notes From The Underground or The Book of Urizen are better comparisons, I think. It's completely out of place in the Spider-Man back catalogue really, but that's part of its appeal for me. Brilliant series.

matthewforan -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (3/12/2011 11:44:48 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the info mate!! I''ve watched Spectacular Spiderman Vol 1 already, bought it for my son a while back and have to admit, I enjoyed it too!!! I'll look out for Vol 2, and check out the titles you've mentioned.

Cheers! [:D][:D]

Forgot to say that the Amazing Spider-Man series that i'm talking about is by J Michael Straczynski it was only done recently and was very good indeed.

furrybastard -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (4/12/2011 12:56:54 AM)

quote:

Just finished reading HELLBOY VOL 10: THE CROOKED MAN; and I have to say that it was freakin' awesome shit i've read, period. Seriously guys, I urge you to read this comic ASAP, you will not be able to put I down!!

The volume is a collection of short stories, 4 in total. Each illustrated by different artists. The best of the bunch is the first story, Crooked Man, written by Mignola and art by Richard Corben, he is a name I must look out for in the future because his artwork is fucking excellent!

The Crooked Man is brilliant. Corben is excellent, he's over 70 years old now and still releasing brilliant material.

He's done a few more Hellboys since The Crooked Man (probably the most genuinely creepy comic I've read in many years) including one about Mexican wrestlers (Hellboy in Mexico) that's amazing. He also did Hard Time, the first Hellblazer/Constantine arc written by Brian Azzarello.

[image]http://www.comicbookresources.com/images/solicits/darkhorse/200807/HBYCM-1-FC-FNL.jpg[/image]

Is the B.P.R.D. trade you're reading the 400 pager that collected the three volumes of trades each? Or just the normal 4 or 5-issue War on Frogs trade?

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (4/12/2011 1:20:05 AM)

I'm reading the normal 4/5 issue, as things go its freakin' awesome! The opneing chapter alone is worth the price of the comic; it expands on the back story basically from a brief moment in Hellboy Vol 1: Seed of Destruction, when Abe watches the frog brothers taking their dead mother underneath the murky water.

As for Crooked Man, I agree, it is one of the most awesome stories i've read. Some of the images stayed with me for the following day , even now. I'm scared to leave my bedroom to go to the loo in case I bump into the Crooked Man! Ha ha!! [:D]

BTW, that cover art is amazing. Look at that Crooked no-'gooder just lurking in the shadow, eyes gleaming!! Seriously, Richard Corben is a genius! And thanks for the background info on him; I didnt know the guy was 70!!!! Damn! An OAP and he's still banging out some amazing work! I'll be sure to check out Hellboy in Mexico, which I think is in Vol 11: The Bride of Hell.

Cheers! [:D]

Zaphod121 -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (4/12/2011 1:33:20 PM)

Just finished RUNWAYS VOL.5
[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q9UPqSdQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/image]

Really loving this series, great seeing the return of Cloak and Dagger and inclusion of the main stream heroes like Captain America and Spider-Man. Also think it's really cool that New York is superhero central and you don't see them much in other cities.

furrybastard -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (4/12/2011 3:13:52 PM)

quote:

I'm reading the normal 4/5 issue, as things go its freakin' awesome! The opneing chapter alone is worth the price of the comic; it expands on the back story basically from a brief moment in Hellboy Vol 1: Seed of Destruction, when Abe watches the frog brothers taking their dead mother underneath the murky water.

If you're continuing with BPRD I'd recommend buying the newest Omnibus editions (Volume 1, Volume 2). They each collect 3 full trades of the series in order (War on Frogs is the 'middle' chapter of Vol. 2) and are much better value than buying the individual trades. There are going to be 4 omnibus trades in total, covering all 12 trades comprising the Plague of Frogs storyline, plus all the extra goodies like sketchbooks and short strips. The third volume will be released in March, I think.

quote:

BTW, that cover art is amazing. Look at that Crooked no-'gooder just lurking in the shadow, eyes gleaming!! Seriously, Richard Corben is a genius! And thanks for the background info on him; I didnt know the guy was 70!!!! Damn! An OAP and he's still banging out some amazing work! I'll be sure to check out Hellboy in Mexico, which I think is in Vol 11: The Bride of Hell.

I think he'll be sticking with the Hellboy universe for some time as his work has been very well received there and Mignola pretty much just asks what he wants to draw and then builds a storyline around it!

Glad to hear you're enjoying Hellboy/BPRD; it's one of my favourite series of the last decade! I'd also recommend checking out The Goon, also from Dark Horse and written and drawn by the excellent Eric Powell. It starts off as a kind of comedy action comic but with time Powell adds a lot more depth and gravitas to the series (I'll add that I always kind of prefferred the 'earlier, funnier ones' so to speak[:D])

[image]http://stallonezone.com/zone/2008/z122608goon.jpg[/image]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (4/12/2011 6:13:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

If you're continuing with BPRD I'd recommend buying the newest Omnibus editions (Volume 1, Volume 2). They each collect 3 full trades of the series in order (War on Frogs is the 'middle' chapter of Vol. 2) and are much better value than buying the individual trades. There are going to be 4 omnibus trades in total, covering all 12 trades comprising the War on Frogs storyline, plus all the extra goodies like sketchbooks and short strips. The third volume will be released in March, I think.

quote:

I think he'll be sticking with the Hellboy universe for some time as his work has been very well received there and Mignola pretty much just asks what he wants to draw and then builds a storyline around it!

Glad to hear you're enjoying Hellboy/BPRD; it's one of my favourite series of the last decade! I'd also recommend checking out The Goon, also from Dark Horse and written and drawn by the excellent Eric Powell. It starts off as a kind of comedy action comic but with time Powell adds a lot more depth and gravitas to the series (I'll add that I always kind of prefferred the 'earlier, funnier ones' so to speak[:D])

[image]http://stallonezone.com/zone/2008/z122608goon.jpg[/image]

Thanks mate, your info as always, is much appreciated.

As it goes, much of my day today, was spent checking out the hardback omnibus' you've mentioned. My god - they look like an absolute must buy!! Volume 2 is available to buy from The Book Depository and Play.com, but its funny, because on Play.com Vol 1 and 3 are not available yet, you must pre-order them for April 2012!!! Still, saw them ALL on Amazon. I think what I will be doing is ordering Volume 2 this week. I've loved reading War on Frogs, and really chuffed to hear (from you) that its included in Volume 2!!! I'm definetely adding it to my shopping list!! Not to mention its harback, and big value for your money to boot! What more can you want?

And I agree, Hellboy and B.P.R.D are some of the most freakin' awesome comics around!! EVERY comic book fan simply HAS to read 'em!!! No excuse!! I for one am now addicted to the series. Can't understand how I could leave it so late in my reading duties!!! [:D]

I'll check out the other works you've mentioned too, like The Goon.

Cheers!! [:D]

furrybastard -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (4/12/2011 6:17:21 PM)

No worries!  Volume 1 is available from Book Depository too, I linked to it above! (And at quite a good price too!)[:D]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (4/12/2011 6:42:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

No worries! Volume 1 is available from Book Depository too, I linked to it above! (And at quite a good price too!)[:D]

As Big Red would say: AW CRAP!!

How could I have missed that??! [:D]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (4/12/2011 8:28:45 PM)

Just finished reading B.P.R.D; War on Frog, a brilliant Graphic Novel, from the brilliant mind of Mike Mignola, and illustrated with great aplomb by some great names, Guy Davis and John Severin, Peter Snejberg to name a few. I really enjoyed the stories, which is a fresh take on the HELLBOY universe, wheriin Hellboy himself has left B.P.R.D and the spotlight falls on other Bureau members like Abe Sapien, Liz, Johann Krauss and some new faces. I urge anyone who loves a taste of the macabre, horror, and good art and story to give it a look in. This series has become a firm favourite of mine, its that good!

B.P.R.D: War on Frogs ***** 5/5

Snake-Eyes -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (4/12/2011 8:38:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5141uXgYyxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/image] 

This graphic novel is 100% SNAKE-EYES APPROVED [sm=happy34.gif]

One of my favourite Spidey stories. Great art by Mike Zeck.

Wild about Wilder -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (5/12/2011 12:15:20 PM)

Just read the 1st 3 issues of Smith/Hester's Bionic Man so far so good they're taking their time with it & not rushing you in headlong into the action & dealing with the backstory of how he becomes The Bionic Man which is good.
When asked by Rudy how much it would cost too fund this Oscar replied $6million............A DAY!

Nexus Wookie -> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? (5/12/2011 3:55:17 PM)

Just started reading BATMAN: THE BAT AND THE BEAST by Peter Milligan/Andy Clarke. First time reading a comic by said author (or maybe I have read his stuff before, just didnt know his name!).

The artwork by Andy Clarke looks very sleek. First chapter in already and looks like a good read. Watch this space to see how the story panned out!! [:)]

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI