David Yates On For Doctor Who Movie (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> David Yates On For Doctor Who Movie (14/11/2011 9:10:41 PM)

Post your comments on this article

lil_loner93 -> Terrible, Terrible idea. (14/11/2011 9:10:41 PM)

No No No No NO. Stay away from it. I hate expressions like 'radical transformation' That tends to mean, change everything in order to do it my way not the fans' way.

lil_loner93 -> Terrible, Terrible idea. (14/11/2011 9:13:40 PM)

No No No No NO. Stay away from it. I hate expressions like 'radical transformation' That tends to mean, change everything in order to do it my way not the fans' way.

sweetladybrick -> (14/11/2011 9:13:50 PM)

Shame it's non-canon. With a character as iconic as the Doctor it's not really necessary to start from scratch, so I'd like to see a story within the same continuity- which, with him being a time traveller, does leave a lot of scope and anyone can play it at any stage.

deedeetee -> (14/11/2011 9:29:04 PM)

The Brand Manager for Doctor Who, and its official Twitter account, have both tweeted to say that this isn't happening anytime soon.

pottyaboutpotter1 -> HOORAY! (14/11/2011 9:46:10 PM)

I think all us whovians are too busy worrying it will be rubbish to notice that the movie i being directed by David Yates. This is the guy who brought us the masterpiece that was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. If one person can bring us an amazing Doctor Who movie, it's Yates. Although I wish that they wouldd include Matt Smith and Stephen Moffat so it would tie into the show. It could then b released at the 50th anniversary and answer all the plot lines. Here's for the Daleks and the Slence as the baddies!

Spaldron -> RE: HOORAY! (14/11/2011 11:04:36 PM)

Mind. Blown.

clonard -> Geronimo!!! (14/11/2011 11:47:20 PM)

Great news....Always felt that if done right, you could have a great Who movie. BBC have the cash to make a big budget, big screen adventure for the time lord. There are plenty of names to throw about for the lead role, but personally the only person for this part is David Tennant...He brought such energy, wit, and comedy to the role, and he deserves a chance to carry the lead role in a movie. Really excited about this news. Fingers crossed they get it right.

TheSpleen -> RE: HOORAY! (14/11/2011 11:49:21 PM)

I'm looking forward to three years of casting speculation personally! The arguing, the hurt feelings, the 'Fuck Johnny Depp he's past it', the Robert Downey Jr rumours, it's going to be fun! [;)]

rwillis122 -> Casting Shoo-in (15/11/2011 1:41:54 AM)

Two words for you .... Benedict and Cumberbatch

mattdomville -> Worrisome (15/11/2011 5:00:39 AM)

I don't like his comment about "starting from scratch". 

The Whisper -> Doctor Who - The Motion Picture (15/11/2011 5:25:03 AM)

Story-wise it would be sensible for Yates to play Jim Abram's Star Trek parallel universe card. The fans would be appeased and the newhovians none the wiser. With such big names attached though, whether the movie will be good or not is besides the point. As with the Potter films, whoever puts up the money will want franchise rights and control over any Who-related product, so the chances of a British TV show being broadcast alongside a string of Hollywood blockbusters would consequently be very slim. With the ratings still healthy but far from the peaks of the mid-noughties, perhaps this is the only way for the Doctor to go, though, as the regenerating fifth Doctor said in The Caves of Androzani, 'It feels different this time.'

jobloffski -> RE: Doctor Who - The Motion Picture (15/11/2011 7:42:33 AM)

So, actually happening or the possibility of a recently hyped more than often show (in America) coming to the attention of the suits and the possibility of moolah worldwide raising their morning glory up a bit?

If it's going to be a 'alternative' universe thing, here's an 'insane' suggestion:

Whoever is cast, open the movie with a potted version of the original first series opener, and then just go wherever, using any and all of the iconic stuff that already exists, whenever it suits, but done, expensive, like?

Then, no need to wedge the past in of the series in, cos as far as the film is/films are concerned its all new, and no need to look in new directions for story ideas because stuff that already works can be cherry picked and give the big screen treatment.

Fifty years of stories to pillage, etc. Exploitative, not essentially necessary, but what the hey?

waltham1979 -> RE: Doctor Who - The Motion Picture (15/11/2011 8:53:21 AM)

I thought the last series of Doctor Who was awful (the fantastic Matt Smith aside!) so any improvement on that and I am on board...

Edit: THAT SAID I hope they don't cast some American kid as the Doctor; I'm still holding out for Gary Oldman to pick up the screw driver and Christian Bale as The Master [8|]

Pete Apperley -> WHY????? (15/11/2011 9:19:24 AM)

Why must we have a Hollywood version of the show, it works as the TV show. How many other TV to Hollywood movies have worked, not many, they are all generally pretty awful.

JimmyThe Saint -> (15/11/2011 9:21:07 AM)

Matt Smith is great but they have to bring back David Tennant. And make The Master the villain.

JimmyThe Saint -> (15/11/2011 9:22:50 AM)

Or Bobby Carlyle. He was apparently clse to starring on TV but did Stargate Universe instead.

demoncleaner -> RE: Doctor Who - The Motion Picture (15/11/2011 9:23:11 AM)

As far I'm concerned (in a metaphorical, intellectual property kinda way) the owner of the brand and the canon is the TV show-runner at the time. 

There's a very clear route of escalation here.

In the first instance you go to Steven Moffat and ask him if he wants to do it, or thinks it at all feasible.  If he says no to either one of those, then you wait until he steps down...or dies...then I suppose you can rape away at the canon with impunity.  If Moffat was at all interested then he should look for writers, he should look for a director and David Yates can spend his time hoping Moffat knows who the fuck he is.

Discodez -> RE: David Yates On For Doctor Who Movie (15/11/2011 9:23:51 AM)

Although we all know how it ends, a Dr Who movie telling the story of the "time wars" could be a good one.

jmebaby25 -> RE: David Yates On For Doctor Who Movie (15/11/2011 9:54:03 AM)

Personally, I can't stand Dr Who... I think it's garbage.

However, if David Yates is involved, it may get my interest. His State of Play series is one of the best things to ever feature on the BBC. If Yates gives DW that kind of treatment, then fans of the show will be pleasantly surprised.

jobloffski -> RE: David Yates On For Doctor Who Movie (15/11/2011 9:55:21 AM)

That's what you build a franchise towards, not where you start one. Movies have to draw people in who aren't already fans, or they die on their arse.

The appeal, if any for this sort of movie is to show on the big screen what the small one can't afford. And you gotta have the foreplay and not go straight for the bang.

JIm R -> RE: David Yates On For Doctor Who Movie (15/11/2011 10:28:20 AM)

This news and the thinking behind it with it's 'vision' makes me so sad [&o]

finitribe -> (15/11/2011 11:03:10 AM)

Fans are going to hate this. Non fans are not going to want to see it at all. This film will die.

BoudaSmoke -> Not Long Left? (15/11/2011 11:13:51 AM)

The biggest problem I have with this is that unlike other television/movie franchises which at some point have weirdly changed the lead actor, Doctor Who found a novel way to explain this problem. Regeneration. Current Doc Matt Smith is the eleventh Doctor (although I count twelve, David Tennant regenerated but kept his face!), therefore the Movie doctor would be the twelth, as Paul Magann's counted as the eighth, so he's only got one regen left, unless they find a way to bypass this (they probably will). I agree that an alternet timeline might be the answer.

lovegrove7196 -> a very good idea (15/11/2011 12:27:27 PM)

I think that a standalone reinterpretation of the source material is exactly what this franchise needs, especially to take it to a worldwide market. Not everyone likes the current interpretation! I also think that as David Yates is the man who carried Harry Potter through half of its movies without any major hiccups and finished a franchise Britain can be proud of, I think he'll respect the cannon. Trust in David Yates. I'm looking forward to it muchly.

potemkin1925 -> Meh!!! This would only be interesting if (15/11/2011 12:46:55 PM)

Smith, Gillan and Darvill were on board. The characters are already established and it has a following. A big screen standalone adventure without Moffat involved is the good idea with this - just like the series only the standalone episodes are good but Moffat keeps ramming his garbage "overall lack of plot" story arcs into them.

bobthegrinch -> The BBC haven't confirmed this (15/11/2011 1:02:06 PM)

The BBC have only released a statement saying that "A Doctor Who feature film remains in development with BBC Worldwide Productions in Los Angeles." which doesn't mention David Yates or even address this current rumour. It simply states that they were already thinking about it and still are. Obviously I don't know whether they've spoken to him or not but until they release a statement we should avoid saying things like 'Yes, folks, it's real' BAD EMPIRE! Johnny Vegas could say he's doing a new version of Knight Rider. Just because he has done a film and said it in an interview doesn't mean that anyone who holds the rights is letting it. I doubt this will happen as Yates has said it anyway now. The response has been over whelmingly negative.

Loosecrew -> Good idea TV show went stale three series ago. (15/11/2011 1:49:23 PM)

Get Bill Nighy in that Tardis pronto!

Revstar -> Wasn't this done before... (15/11/2011 2:16:09 PM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_and_the_Daleks. Didn't seem to break it before...

Cyberleader -> Bill nighy as William Hartnell's Doc! (15/11/2011 3:28:19 PM)

If they aren't going to tie in with series continuity they could at least harken back to the classic series by actually portraying one of the original Docs (no anger fellow fans, I'm just making a suggestion...) And as they'll want some americanization in there so they can sell the idea to Hollywood, no doubt, they might have an american companion. I'd rather not but if they are going to then why not someone like Emma Stone or Hayden Pannetiere (or however you spell her bloomin name)? All in an ideal World of course. Ralph Fiennes as The Master? Tons of cybermen (personal movie fantasy)? Autons? So many ideas! But if this goes ahead (and I speak as a massive fan of both the old and new series...GREAT

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI