Tower Heist (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Tower Heist (2/11/2011 4:48:51 PM)

Post your comments on this article

beancounter -> RE: Tower Heist (4/11/2011 6:29:29 PM)

I'm liking the sound of "A welcome return to form for Eddie Murphy "

I doubt that'll be enough for me to pay money to see it at the cinema, but one to look out for on DVD maybe

Artificial Luddite -> Do Yourself A Favour. Pass. (8/11/2011 12:18:50 PM)

Watching the trailers one could be forgiven for thinking this would be a return to form from Murphy who has been flailing inoffensively since the release of Raw. From the moment 12A appeared onscreen, I knew I was in trouble. Alan Alda aside, no actor in this respectable cast comes away unscathed from a film that offers not one laugh. Not one. The ever-impressive Casey Affleck does well enough but the jokes simply aren't there. Gabourey 'Precious' Sidibe fails miserably at one of the easier accents in the world to imitate. Matthew Broderick, who had a hilarious turn in Season 2 of 30 Rock, squanders a potentially amusing character. An extremely gaunt and haggard Eddie Murphy, unsurprisingly, phones it in. Michael Pena recently brought laughs as drug-dealing Chango in 30 Minutes or Less, but like Affleck, struggles with the predictable and reserved script. Tea Leoni is her usual annoying self, and as for Stiller, well, I would be angry but sadly this is what I have come to expect from him - solid but dull. I wanted to leave after the first hour, and if my friends were more submissive, I may have. Alda, pity for Affleck and Pena, and Thanksgiving balloons earned the extra star.

abductee -> glad I didn't pay to watch this (9/11/2011 8:06:56 AM)

run of the mill - expected it to be funnier

maxsmorris -> Straight to SKY (9/11/2011 9:48:53 PM)

I'll watch this when I've seen most other things and I can't sleep on a week night.

skeletonjack -> (10/11/2011 9:46:45 AM)

Given the cast and it's status as a comedy this was surprisingly unfunny with very few jokes. Despite this however, once it gets going it's an entertaining enough heist caper. It could and should have been so much better though. 3 stars.

lewisb548 -> Hilarious, feel good fun (13/11/2011 6:59:08 PM)

Remember the insanely stupid Rush hour 3? Well Brett Ratners latest Tower Heist is a significant improvement, why? Well the ensemble cast certainly please.

londongus -> woeful heist (17/3/2014 8:34:35 PM)

I finally got round to watching this thanks to it being free (ish) on Amazon Prime. What a thorough waste of everyone's talents, and my time.

A 'comedy' (really?) devoid of humour and wit. A 'caper' devoid of tension or fun. Casey Affleck's character was the only character I could empathise with. Alan Alda was suitably loathsome. And apart from these and Ben Stiller's character, everyone else in the entire film was pointless.

And was it me, or were there numerous plot setups that never paid off, twists that happened with no explanation, and an ending that just felt rushed and empty ? I just don't want to re-watch it in order to explain any of it.

A poor man's Ocean's 11. And by 'poor' I really mean 'broke'.

How Empire gave this 3 stars is beyond me.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI