THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (2004) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema

Nexus Wookie -> THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (2004) (24/10/2011 8:33:04 PM)

THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (2004)

I watched this film (directed by Walter Salles and Edgard Tenenbaum) a few years ago on Channel 4, and almost immediatly fell in love with it! It is a beautifully directed film detailing the early life of Ernesto Gueverra before he became the iconic Che; marxist icon, freedom fighter, his face adorning countless T-shirts sported by budding young revolutionists (students to you and me!).

Che was depicted by the excellent Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal and his companion Alberto Granado, by Rodrigo De La Serna (again, excellent as the fun loving , womanising sidekick).

The film recounts the 1952 expedition by motorcycle undertaken by Guevera (Che) and Alberto, two budding young doctors on a journey of self-discovery through South America. Slowly Guevera finds himself transformed by the observations of the sufferings and hardships of the poor indeginous people. Coming from middle class backgrounds, their trail leads them to places and peoples whose life, and social injustices opens their eyes, and they come to realise the importance of Latin American identity. Guevera is most affected, and he returns a changed man, his youthful exubrance now gone. In its stead, a man who realises his purpose in life.....

This film is very powerful. The encounters these two friends have, from chatting up a married woman then fleeing from her angry husband and a mob, to the endless strife caused by their stuttering motorcycle christened 'La Pedrosa' and who is like a third companion, and is in itself another character! By the end, you too as the viewer start caring for these two misfits! But all is not about fun and laughter, you can see the change that they go through as they start to meet and converse with the poor indigenous people. Guevera is most impacted by what he witnesses, the hardship and daily life struggles and injustces.

My favourite scene is toward the end when both friends take residency in a leper colony. They immerse themselves with the sick and suffering, helping them and in turn, gaining the lepers trust and affections. It is a very moving chapter of the film. All through the film you also see that Gueverra himslef is sick, he has chronic Asthma, and his attacks are excruciating. He finds in these people through his travels, a certain light. To him they are the real people, they give meaning to life not the superficial life he used to have.

By the end, in a very poignant scene, you see Alberto seeing his friend off in the airport. The plane with Ernesto as passenger flies out of view. On Alberto's face is etched the painful realisation that their lives will never be the same again. They are changed men. And his friend, Ernesto Guevara is no more. It is an achingly poignant scene. Afterward, you see the real Alberto Granado looking up to the skies, his face wrinkled. Eyes in deep thought, recalling his time as a youth- the time he shared with his close friend and the journey which they took together through the beautiful countires of Latin America, meeting people from walks of life different from their own, a journey that was to change their lives and destinies forever.

------------------

What a brilliant fucking film!!! WHAT SAY YOU?

rich -> RE: THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (2004) (25/10/2011 12:29:08 AM)

Not seen it since the original DVD release some years ago, but it was a great journey - a fantastic character study and a moving story of friendship and the kind of experiences that build towards a certain calling in life. Due for a rewatch in fact, as we were discussing "Che" himself recently.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (2004) (25/10/2011 10:10:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Not seen it since the original DVD release some years ago, but it was a great journey - a fantastic character study and a moving story of friendship and the kind of experiences that build towards a certain calling in life. Due for a rewatch in fact, as we were discussing "Che" himself recently.

I so loved this film, that soon after (as well as buying the DVD) i bought the book on which the film was based titled 'The Motorcycle Diaries'; it is a beautiful and insightful book, or more rightly a journal by Che, recounting his expedition in fine prose.

I also bought Steven Soderbergh's two part epic 'Che' but never got round to seeing them. Its gathering dust as we speak, and i really need to take it out and watch it. Has anyone here watched it? If so what are your thoughts on the film? (Che)?

st3veebee -> RE: THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (2004) (13/3/2012 2:33:47 PM)

I have overlooked this film so many times in HMV and gone on to purchase far, far, far worse films. Next time I see I'm just gonna get it based on the top review here.

flipper0 -> RE: THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (2004) (14/3/2012 7:28:41 AM)

Its a fine film. Beautiful to look at with an engaging story and terrific chemistry between the two leads. Salles' earlier film Central Station is a lot better, but The Motorcycle Diaries is very solid indeed.

pazza -> RE: THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (2004) (3/4/2012 8:47:25 AM)

a superb film with excellent cinematography. Having read the book previously, I was first in the queue to see this back in 2004. Water Salles is a brilliant director. Looking forward to On The Road later this year - I was encouraged to hear he was directing the film of this iconic book.

siegfried -> RE: THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (2004) (4/5/2012 7:33:07 AM)

A strikingly beautiful and intensely moving film, made all the more so by Gael Garcia Bernal's exceptional performance as the young Ernesto Guevara. It's one I keep coming back to.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (2004) (4/5/2012 9:13:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

A strikingly beautiful and intensely moving film, made all the more so by Gael Garcia Bernal's exceptional performance as the young Ernesto Guevara. It's one I keep coming back to.

Same here! Its on my 'must make time to re-watch' list (alongside Raging Bull, The Last Temptation of Christ and The Godfather Trilogy!) It is such a rich and rewarding viewing and stays with you.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI