Contagion (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Contagion (18/10/2011 5:15:08 AM)

Post your comments on this article

jonjonjerome -> Hmmmm (18/10/2011 5:15:09 AM)

I saw this a few weeks ago in Canada and it was utterly terrible. Forget the "Soderbergh is trying for a meticulous and impersonal progressing virus movie" it's poorly scripted and weakly acted. Lots of critics have been saying there is no exposition as the movie is showing the virus and not the characters but because of this you can't invest in the movie.

Jude Law is ridiculous with his Australian accent and even Matt Damon comes across as a doofus.

Try not to cringe when Fishburne explains why they used to shake hands back in the olden times.

I asked my mate if he wanted to leave early but we decided to stick it out till the end. Bad move!

Tosh -> BORING! (19/10/2011 4:59:16 PM)

This was terrible film. started well enough but then tried to fit too many sub plots in which didn’t really fit together nicely or end in a way you felt satisfied. Likewise with the social commentary which was overloaded throughout it never quite answered its own questions.

For once I actually fell asleep in a cinema. Maybe because I was in an Imax in the US with Big comfy chairs - nah probably because it was boring!

jonjonjerome -> Another silly moment (20/10/2011 3:08:34 PM)

I hope youre not one of those reviewers who looks at these reviews and thinks 'rubbish it was a very good movie' as it wasn't

One of the worst parts was when the camera followed that female scientist (can't remember her name as she was such a bland character) she was walking or even floating through her lab, then she looked at a cage and did a few other things. The plot and narrative devices were so weak that it took me 5 minutes to think "OH..this must be the part when she discovers the anti virus".

Very weird and very poorly done.

adambatman82 -> RE: Another silly moment (21/10/2011 10:52:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Herr Schnitzel

Saw this today and thought it was very good. I don't agree with anything the haters here are saying. I liked how the film largely concentrated on the science and on the work scientists and officials doing to contain this virus, instead of the whole thing descending into melodramatic disaster film cliches. Soderberg did an excellent job in following a large cast of characters while keeping every plot line very clear. The acting was very good, especially by the always excellent Jennifer Ehle. I thought it was gripping from beginning to end and it struck me as totally plausible. Read a few comments by scientists who said that on the whole the film was very realistic in the way how something like this would unfold.

I'm with you. I loved it, thought it was Soderbergh's best since Traffic (and I'm a big fan who considers everything that he's done in the interim as "good" at worst; even O12). Will post my full review when its done.

eddieryan -> Loved it (22/10/2011 12:34:18 AM)

Just got in from seeing Contagion & I loved it!

I'm not one of these "filmy" types who analyses every camera angle & knows what a "dolly grip" is/does, but I know when I see a really good movie & this is one of them. Matt Damon is once again effortless as the everyman & was the stand-out performer for me. I agree with the main review about Marion Cotillard & will concede that her story strand was a bit odd & her character didn't really even need to be there, but overall I loved this film. It made me think - oh & I loved the music (Soderbergh as good as Tarantino in use of music? - that's a discussion for another thread I think),

And when I got home my stepdaughter was watching The Dark Knight - so a quality film night all round!![;)]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Loved it (22/10/2011 12:55:23 AM)

This was a really cool mood piece. I suspect that they could have made the movie with just music and images. 

tysmuse -> bit generous (22/10/2011 8:03:40 PM)

Soderbergh is clearly a decent director, the first hour is decent, tense stuff, aided by a cool soundtrack. But then the inevitable happens and it all goes a bit slow. The horror and the pace relax and unless the film decides to go with an ending out of left-field, then you know how everything is going to play out. There are some good ideas - the cast is impressive, but no one really gets enough to do. In fact, the film could have benefited from being 30 mins longer. Also, the levels of death and chaos should have been cranked UP in the 3rd act rather down.

jcthefirst -> RE: Loved it (22/10/2011 11:48:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

This was a really cool mood piece. I suspect that they could have made the movie with just music and images. 

So true. Fantastic film.

I think the hate for this is coming from the same people who expected something different (or not, as it happens) from Monsters.

jmebaby25 -> RE: Contagion (22/10/2011 11:49:59 PM)

Just came home from seeing it.

Loved it.

Although, Jude Law - was he meant to be English or Australian. He seemed to have an awful cockney accent early on followed by a sudden switch to Aussie halfway through. Awful.

And what was Demetri Martin doing in the film? He was perfectly fine, but he didn't fit in a serious film. I kept fighting the urge to laugh whenever he was on screen.

Other than that, I thought it was great.

filmsunlimited -> Forsythia,available at your nearest garden centre now! (23/10/2011 3:11:25 PM)

You'll just have to trust me on the first line! As for the whole film, plenty of good ideas (such as the indoor 'prom night' with only 2 attendees, food rioting etc.) Yet the whole fim felt poorly executed. For starters, the whole feel felt more akin to a 9pm on Sunday evening Sky 1 TV series that was condensed - badly - into film format. The score was overwrought and amateurish at times, conveying more of a Film 2000 budget horror than a Hollywood blockbuster. The acting and dialogue felt wooden and the film neither offered any real chance to invest in any of the characters (most merely present and correct to propel the virus spread, a bit Dan Brown style) nor did it offer any of the bombast one would expect if character development is secondary. All of the 'action' such as looted shops had a set piecey low budget feel with the whole thing not gelling cohesively. Fair enough, this film possibly rightly avoids going Shaun of the Dead on us, but it is a serious affair in a dull sort of way and a few blood crazed zombies might have offered a bit of light relief to the proceedings. Even the science is a bit off beam, just as the virus is spreading and killing more, its as if the panic goes off the boil and we conveniently jump 100 days to when they can be bothered to manufacture and approve the vaccine. At times as well you feel as if the film is so subtly trying to make a point it fails to register at all, for instance at Day 1 at the end are we to read that humans, in their deforestation activities sort of caused the virus? Also one feels it has a bit of an axe to grind at Big Pharma, perhaps not a bad thing but it is done in a sufficiently fence sitting way as for the whole film to not have any real outcome or message or conclusion. Oh, and please pick a cure that isn't a yellow flowered bush available at my nearest Wyevale next time!

jrewing1000 -> RE: Contagion (23/10/2011 11:41:51 PM)

Not my favourite Sodenberg movie, but I did enjoy this. It's a slow paced, intelligent thriller. Good cast. Jude Law was ok, but I think he did well with the limited character that he was given.

There were a few really poignant moments, especially in the final act. The film ends on a truly human moment. Quite beautiful really.

Worth seeing if you like multi-narrative stories. Just not a big movie, and certainly no 'Outbreak'.

jrewing1000 -> RE: Contagion (24/10/2011 12:10:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

Not my favourite Sodenberg movie, but I did enjoy this. It's a slow paced, intelligent thriller. Good cast. Jude Law was ok, but I think he did well with the limited character that he was given.

There were a few really poignant moments, especially in the final act. The film ends on a truly human moment. Quite beautiful really.

Worth seeing if you like multi-narrative stories. Just not a big movie, and certainly no 'Outbreak'.

And when I say it was no 'Outbreak' I mean that's a good thing!!!

jmebaby25 -> RE: Contagion (24/10/2011 9:19:59 AM)

quote:

Soderberg gave a Q&A after the screening I went to and said he wanted Law to be someone who was originally Australian, but who had moved round the world for a long time so his accent had changed. I work with an Irish woman who lived in Canada for fifteen years and her accent is all over the place. When I lived in the US I modified my accent to make myself better understood and I probably sounded odd too.

Ha - brilliant. Reading between the lines, that means he knew the accent was crappy so used the old, "it's intentionally all over the place" response. It's nonsense. Nothing in the story implied, nor was it necessary to the overall narrative, for Law's character to be well travelled. Essentially, he's a crap actor who botched his accent.

Still, it didn't ruin an otherwise great film.

jrewing1000 -> RE: Contagion (24/10/2011 9:22:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

quote:

Soderberg gave a Q&A after the screening I went to and said he wanted Law to be someone who was originally Australian, but who had moved round the world for a long time so his accent had changed. I work with an Irish woman who lived in Canada for fifteen years and her accent is all over the place. When I lived in the US I modified my accent to make myself better understood and I probably sounded odd too.

Ha - brilliant. Reading between the lines, that means he knew the accent was crappy so used the old, "it's intentionally all over the place" response. It's nonsense. Nothing in the story implied, nor was it necessary to the overall narrative, for Law's character to be well travelled. Essentially, he's a crap actor who botched his accent.

Yeah I agree. It didn't really spoil anything. I too thought he was cockney at first then developed an Australian tinge. I thought his character was the least developed.

HERMES_67 -> contagion (24/10/2011 11:19:20 AM)

Let me start by summing up my mood when the credits started to roll at the end of the movie; depressed. This movie never gets going, its stellar line up of actors were completely wasted with this bland, boring, dull and monotonous script. I was still waiting for it to get going as the credits started to roll. If you want my opinion - avoid like the plague!!!!!!

Herr Schnitzel -> RE: Contagion (24/10/2011 11:18:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

quote:

Just telling you what Soderberg said he wanted. Maybe you should take it up with him.

I think people get too hung up about 'authentic' accents. It's an easy but limiting way by which to judge a performance.

jonjonjerome -> RE: Another silly moment (25/10/2011 12:08:16 AM)

Are you fucking kidding me. Nothing was clear, the acting was wooden and Jennifer Ehle gave one of the worst performances in the movie.

jonjonjerome -> RE: Another silly moment (25/10/2011 12:24:39 AM)

quote:

It's an easy but limiting way by which to judge a performance.

What a smarmy way to insult someones judgement.

Jude Law's accent was a disaster much like the rest of the movie. Just because Soderbergh states the reasons behind his decision doesn't mean it was right. As far as I saw it was a massive error. His accent, much like Damon's and Fishburne's performances takes you out of the movie and highlights other weaknesses.

BatSpider -> One star average for a so called 'quality' movie! (25/10/2011 7:35:45 PM)

hahahaha....haven't seen it, not gonna see it. The cast sucks balls and the director is an over-rated bore.

ChudMonkey -> RE: Contagion (26/10/2011 10:49:26 AM)

I'm at a loss as to why there is so much negative feedback on here towards this superb piece of cinema. Yes its slow paced but this is the most realistic, non-sensationalist, taught and wonderfully acted film about a killer virus you could hope for. Its almost documentary like in its take on how the world would respond to such an outbreak. I loved the fact that, despite Damon's (spoiler alert) immunity to the virus, he didn't end up doing the normal Hollywood thing of becoming some kind of hero instead holing himself up in his home with his daughter he became the rational voice of all of us confronted with a similar situation. If you want huge, dumb action then watch Outbreak - its enjoyable, but totally ridiculous.

Jude Law's weasly portrayal of a "dollar-signs in the eyes" blogger was perfect (yes the accent was strange but not enough to truly jar), Larry Fishburne was immense (and not just in his physical size...which was man montain like), Winslet (normally someone I can't stand) was totally believable and had some beautifully poignant moments (not least the phone-call she makes in the hotel) but there were strong performances all over the park.

But this is isn't a film just concerned with the characters. Its a global threat and Soderbergh delivers a sense of menace without ever having to resort to showy hysterics. There are several plot points that remind me of World War Z so if the movie version of that creates the same realism (albeit with Zombies) we'll be in for a treat.

Only one thing bugged me - a line about body bags running out "two days ago" - it was unnecessary considering the characters involved with the conversation would have been aware two days ago of the shortage. A minor blip on an otherwise excellent movie.

4.5 out of 5

Herr Schnitzel -> RE: Contagion (26/10/2011 10:54:55 AM)

quote:

Only one thing bugged me - a line about body bags running out "two days ago" - it was unnecessary considering the characters involved with the conversation would have been aware two days ago of the shortage. A minor blip on an otherwise excellent movie.

4.5 out of 5

I don't actually think the characters involved would keep track of the number body bags. As the initially poor police response during the recent riots showed, it's always a shock how unprepared authorities can be when something unexpected and large scale spirals out of control.

Otherwise I totally agree with you. I find the vitriol aimed against this film here rather strange on this forum, when it has been very well received in the real world.

ChudMonkey -> RE: Contagion (26/10/2011 11:12:10 AM)

quote:

I don't actually think the characters involved would keep track of the number body bags. As the initially poor police response during the recent riots showed, it's always a shock how unprepared authorities can be when something unexpected and large scale spirals out of control.

Otherwise I totally agree with you. I find the vitriol aimed against this film here rather strange on this forum, when it has been very well received in the real world.

Its not so much keeping count but they would have seen the bodies being loaded up during those two days, surely? Did they not notice the bags had run out two days ago when the bodies weren't being put into them? It just seemed like a pointless line to me. Anyway minor complaint though, very minor

jackmansgirl -> RE: Contagion (26/10/2011 12:55:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChudMonkey

I'm at a loss as to why there is so much negative feedback on here towards this superb piece of cinema. Yes its slow paced but this is the most realistic, non-sensationalist, taught and wonderfully acted film about a killer virus you could hope for. Its almost documentary like in its take on how the world would respond to such an outbreak. I loved the fact that, despite Damon's (spoiler alert) immunity to the virus, he didn't end up doing the normal Hollywood thing of becoming some kind of hero instead holing himself up in his home with his daughter he became the rational voice of all of us confronted with a similar situation. If you want huge, dumb action then watch Outbreak - its enjoyable, but totally ridiculous.

Jude Law's weasly portrayal of a "dollar-signs in the eyes" blogger was perfect (yes the accent was strange but not enough to truly jar), Larry Fishburne was immense (and not just in his physical size...which was man montain like), Winslet (normally someone I can't stand) was totally believable and had some beautifully poignant moments (not least the phone-call she makes in the hotel) but there were strong performances all over the park.

But this is isn't a film just concerned with the characters. Its a global threat and Soderbergh delivers a sense of menace without ever having to resort to showy hysterics. There are several plot points that remind me of World War Z so if the movie version of that creates the same realism (albeit with Zombies) we'll be in for a treat.

4.5 out of 5

Totally agree, It's not meant to be an 'Outbreak' kind of movie or Zombie film, I don't think it's even supposed to be character driven. I think it's a realistic portrayal of an epidemic and how it might play out. I found it really interesting and incredibly well made and researched. I enjoyed how 'un-Emmerich' (new word) it was.

As for the authorities 'bothering' to manufacture and approve an antidote, well I work in the pharmaceutical industry and I can tell you it's not that easy! I really liked the way they didn't dumb it down or offer an easy way out.

Jude Law's character was supremely annoying though, I concur.

max314 -> RE: Contagion (30/10/2011 2:56:57 AM)

Man, that Steven Soderbergh doesn't half know how to stage a scene.

Liked a lot of the ideas it touched upon, including the bottom line realities of the pharmaceutical industry, alternative medicines, social breakdown, yadda, yadda.

I think the film set out what it intended to achieve. That said, the ending lacked real punch. You're kinda hoping for some big revelation, some big corporate conspiracy, something like that. Instead, we find out...

A pig in China ate some bat shit or something and became contagious.

Not much of a reveal. But then, maybe it wasn't supposed to be.

punkdkid -> (30/10/2011 9:36:17 PM)

Not really much you can say about this. Concept good. Execution poor...

bretty -> scary but not stand-out (31/10/2011 2:18:49 PM)

Not sure if this deserved four stars. While it was a scary and gripping film (with some good performances) it had more than a few flaws. When there are millions dead, we see rubbish on the streets, but there was no real sense that a significant bit of the population were dead. We saw food riots but after that survivors (including Dad and daughter) seemed not to be starving. Power still worked and you could even text!
But the film did provide a strong reminder how this could easily becme a reality.

mattdavies86 -> RE: Contagion (3/11/2011 2:38:47 PM)

Whilst I admired its quest for an accurate portrayal of how a virus could spread, I found it all to be rather dull.

It suffered from some serious pacing issues and that they could easily have chopped a good 30 minutes or so in the editing room – much of this would have been the characters that didn’t really add anything (what a waste of Marion Cotillard).

I felt they could have done a lot more to highlight the desperation among the population as the virus spread. There were also scenes that seemed to come out of nowhere, i.e. Lawrence Fishburne’s character suddenly becomes the cleaner’s best friend and giving his vaccine to the son.

Overall, I was very disappointed with this. If you want to see a film about the spread of a virus just stick with a good old zombie flick, or try Outbreak (at least Donald Sutherland tries to nuke a whole town in that!).

2/5

Bobby TwoTimes -> Boooooooooriiiiiiing! (3/11/2011 5:03:18 PM)

Christ this film was dull.

What was the point of Jude Law's character? (Please don't tell me that was supposed to be an Australian accent cos it'll go straight to #1 on the list of worst ever) Or Damon's for that matter. He's immune so let's NOT use his blood to try and find a cure?! Cue Matt Damon doing absolutely nothing for the rest of the film.

Didn't feel anything for Paltrow's character at all cos she was a cheating b*tch - off sh*gging while her husband sits at home with HER kid?! Why did Soderburgh pick THIS character to be the one we're supposed to relate to at the beginning?!

Very well made but - due to the fact that absolutely NOTHING happens in it - definitely not a film you will watch more than once.

I was sadly expecting much more from this.

sharkboy -> RE: . (4/11/2011 1:10:08 PM)

Having read some of the other reviews on here, I find myself wondering what some people were expecting when they decided to watch this?  Did they think - "Oh, like Outbreak?" then get annoyed because there were no helicopter chases, evil army types and very little frantic runnning around?  Did apocalyptic movies from mad Max to Land of the Dead make them think that any pandemic inevitably leads to the collapse of civilisation? From all the "dull" comments, I'm starting to think that this is indeed the case!

The movie that this most reminded me of wasn't Outbreak but Soderburgh's own Traffic.  From the muted colours in certain settings to the multi-levelled storylines that were all still linked together by some thread or other, this was a complex, intelligent movie that played well to the strengths of its cast.  Fishburne was great, Kate Winslet's portrayal was excellent (especially that scene in the hotel room), Law (accent aside) was very convincing as the conspiracy hack out to gain fame and money from people's misfortunes, Damon played the grieving dad to a tee, and the rest of the cast were just as good.  The script was well written and didn't insult the intelligence (except for the aforementioned references to homeopathic remedies, but at least these were eventually rubbished [:D]), and there was enough in the plot to keep the movie rolling along at a good pace.  More to the point, and unlike Outbreak and its ilk, this was a very believable portrayal of what would happen if one of these viruses went pandemic.  And for me, that was much more terrifying than any monkey hunts or zombie attacks.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI