RE: Subscriptions!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition

Rob -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (14/6/2012 5:21:23 PM)

As ever James thanks for the updates and we realise that you're doing all you can. However, I do have a genuine question.

Are newspapers a different classification to print magazines? As some UK publishers already offer a dual subscription model.

James Dyer -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (14/6/2012 5:26:07 PM)

No, they're also exempt (in fact that's where the exemption historically comes from). I can't speak to how they've been advised by the tax man - there may be a cunning way round it that we've yet to find or it could be that they too will have to reevaluate soon (HMRC have yet to 100% confirm when this issue will come and bite us in the arse). We won't know exactly how to play it until we've thrashed it out with them (which is ongoing, according to our tax lawyers).

Jong1 -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (17/6/2012 12:26:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Dyer

Quite simply: Time is in America. It's nothing to do with Apple, unfortunately, and entirely due to the UK's Inland Revenue Service, which provides tax exempt status to print magazines but not to digital ones.
thanks for all you are doing to resolve this. Just to say in the last month Time offers a free iPad edition download for all UK print edition subscribers. I do not know if this means they have reached an agreement with the tax office which might be a useful precident!

James Dyer -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (18/6/2012 11:24:23 AM)

Certainly worth looking into. For the record I genuinely think that free iPad subs for print subscribers is the way to go and would really, really, REALLY like it to happen. Have just sent another e-mail to the tax lawyers to see where we're at.

muldered -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (20/6/2012 9:23:27 AM)

Thanks for the update, James. I'm holding off on renewing any subscription until this is clarified. I want the iPad sub, but there are times (basically anywhere near water) where I'd rather have the old fashioned paper copy... It's a shame as I've subbed for around 10 years now, but I can't justify only one or the other since I bought my iPad as I'm getting behind on my paper copies!

Finger's crossed for a resolution to this in the next few weeks.

KPGills -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (23/6/2012 2:42:43 PM)

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Not sure if you can get any information from them, but T3 - A UK based Gadget Magazine published by Future Publishing, have been allowing me to download the iPad edition of the magazine for free with my print subscription for 4 months now. This is via NewsStand on iOS.

I also get Time Magazine via a separate App, again the digital copies are free with my paper subscription.

Hoping Empire can sort the issues out, as other magazines seem to have no problems offering digital issues free with paper based subscriptions. Fingers crossed you can sort out the problems. Thanks again for keeping us all updated :)

Keith

vortex -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (25/6/2012 3:32:03 PM)

Add the BBC's Focus magazine to the list as well - you'd think they'd have a handle on any legal problems. They even mention it as a selling point halfway down their subscription page - http://sciencefocus.com/subscribe ("Focus on the iPad - FREE for subscribers"). That seems a bit blatant if it infringes some tax law! I may be way off the mark here but there does seem to be a lot of blaming outside agencies for not being able to offer the iPad version of Empire free. With Focus, you do not even need to buy it through Newsstand; there is a second option in the app to use the details you used when you subscribed to the paper edition. I can fully understand why you may want subscribers to pay for the digital edition separately but, if so, come clean and it would stop all the complaints in this post. I know of people who specifically subscribed to the paper edition following the announcement that the digital edition would be free thinking that they'd have the best of both worlds. Please, no more excuses, particularly ones which seem to fly in the face of evidence from other magazines.

Rob -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (25/6/2012 3:57:31 PM)

Surely there's a fairly simple way around this.

If a standard magazine subscription is exempt from VAT then for print only subscribers charge 30 a year (or whatever it is). However, if you want both (iPad and print) simply charge 30 + VAT.

In other words print only: 30
Both: 36

Heck make it an even tenner so that Bauer makes at least some money on it and everyone wins.

sim ward -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (26/6/2012 12:40:56 PM)

The only factor that will speed up this process is if enough subscribers show thier dissatisfaction at essentially being mis-led as to the time scale of dual subscriptions, so may i add my 'tuppence worth' and say i will hold off re-subscribing untill an announcement is made either way.

ondei -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (29/6/2012 1:31:45 AM)

Hi

I just subscribed the iPad version but I'm not able to download this month edition. Do you know what's going on?

Does it take sometime to get my account confirmed? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

N.W.F. -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (29/6/2012 9:02:02 AM)

Hi Ondei

Try to delete the app, and "re-install" it. I also had a downloading-problem with the new magazine yesterday. The downloading stopped 4-5 times at around 369 mb, but after I "re-installed" the app, everything was fine.

It bugs me though, that I had to use a lot of time doing this, and if I want to read my older Empire-magazines now, I have to re-dowload all of them, whicj will take some time, so I don't really think, I want to "re-fresh" my Empire-subscription for IPad. It seems to me, there are a few problems to many regarding the IPad-version, when you read some of the messages around her. I have a subscription for 7 other magazines, and have never expirienced any trouble like this before.

giallomovie -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (29/6/2012 12:13:28 PM)

Yeah I am having the same problem, it stopped at 369 mb, now I deleted the app and am trying again. It does kill your bandwidth though!

James Dyer -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (29/6/2012 2:11:16 PM)

Regarding the ongoing subs stuff. The latest we've heard is that we'll be able to offer free to subscribers until their subs are up for renewal. Then we need to charge a 'nominal' fee. What nominal means is the ongoing conversation. Thanks for all the examples though, I've forwarded these on as if other publishers aren't concerned by ongoing tax issues then I'd like to know the reason why.

Regarding the new issue. Uninstall and reinstall and let me know if it's still broken. Blame Nick for this - he found a mistake in his Bill Murray interview and insisted I fix it. The update seems to have cocked up people's downloads.

Tosh -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (29/6/2012 2:14:41 PM)

Great news! Don't mind paying a
quote:

nominal
fee to get both. Wonder how long i have on my subscription?!

Philbh -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (29/6/2012 2:49:44 PM)

Make the nominal fee no more than 1, and I will gladly shake your hand and accept the offer.

Someone needs to sort out the Taxman in regards to digital goods. A book or a magazine should have the same rules whether it is on paper or on a screen - although with the way the British Government seem to work we would more likely see the Tax added to Print rather than removed from digital.

giallomovie -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (29/6/2012 2:55:51 PM)

Works fine now but damn you Bill Murray :p

ondei -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (29/6/2012 3:21:52 PM)

Thanks a lot!

I forgot my iPad at home... Gonna have to try it later...

Hope it works!

Best

James Dyer -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (29/6/2012 4:37:46 PM)

I think the bigger issue is that luxury lifestyle magazines probably shouldn't be exempt from VAT and publishers are terrified of doing anything that'll make the taxman realise that...

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (29/6/2012 11:54:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Dyer

Regarding the ongoing subs stuff. The latest we've heard is that we'll be able to offer free to subscribers until their subs are up for renewal. Then we need to charge a 'nominal' fee. What nominal means is the ongoing conversation. Thanks for all the examples though, I've forwarded these on as if other publishers aren't concerned by ongoing tax issues then I'd like to know the reason why.

Regarding the new issue. Uninstall and reinstall and let me know if it's still broken. Blame Nick for this - he found a mistake in his Bill Murray interview and insisted I fix it. The update seems to have cocked up people's downloads.

So if we only have a couple of months left on our subs and we wait until we renew before subscribing to the iPad version, we'll get a whole year for free?

muldered -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (2/7/2012 3:38:25 PM)

Thanks for the update James - but my paper sub expires with the current issue. I don't want to renew without an iPad sub, so what should I do please?!?

adambatman82 -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (7/7/2012 4:51:28 PM)

Sight & Sound announced this month that they're going digital. Digital copies are free for existing and new subscribers to the physical magazine, and you can even access two years worth of back issues as part of the deal. Subscription prices haven't changed either.

a_man_and_his_monkey -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (10/7/2012 3:53:39 PM)

My subscription started with the last issue (YES!!) so when will the iPad editions become available to me??

James, you're the hero we deserve AND the one we need right now.

James Dyer -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (11/7/2012 9:29:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: a_man_and_his_monkey

My subscription started with the last issue (YES!!) so when will the iPad editions become available to me??

James, you're the hero we deserve AND the one we need right now.

Kind words but thoroughly undeserved, I'm sorry to say. I don't feel much of a hero and it pains me no end that this has been such a nightmare. I wish they'd never told me to announce the 'free for subscribers' offer if it was going to be so problematic. Still, I'll keep you posted as soon as I hear something more.

a_man_and_his_monkey -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (11/7/2012 11:14:25 AM)

I'm sure whatever the outcome, people will appreciate the blood (unlikely), sweat (maybe) and tears (undeniably) you've put into this.

Sphyder -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (13/7/2012 12:48:21 AM)

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a whole now. I subscribe to the Wired mag for 2 an issue and if you have the print version, you put in your account number to get access to them all. I wonder if this would be possible?

It just seems so odd that every other mag can do it but Empire readers need to pay a smal fee due to tax. I don't really mind paying a pound or two extra on my sub if it gets this through. I would just get the iPad version but others in my house read it as well.

Thanks for all the updates. Other companies would've just kept us in the dark.

James Dyer -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (13/7/2012 11:54:13 AM)

Couldn't agree more. This is the part that's so confusing. If HMRC are telling us this then surely they're telling everyone else the same thing. I've been trying to get feedback on this very issue.

hoffmanandy -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (17/7/2012 8:40:40 AM)

Hi James,
(we used to work next to each other about 11 years ago on the top floor of endeavour house)
I've just got myself a fancy iPad and have an Empire print sub already so was interested to see this forum....

My parents have a print subscription to a newspaper (telegraph) and we can use this subscription to get free iPad issues on up to two iPads....
Is there a difference to the taxman between newspapers and magazines?

Cheers and all the best
Andrew

James Dyer -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (18/7/2012 2:28:04 PM)

Indeed you did, hello Andrew.

I wouldn't have thought there's a distinction. Papers are in no danger of losing VAT-exempt status (it was created for them, after all) but otherwise I'd think we're in the same situation. All my info comes from our subs team rather than HMRC direct so I'm pushing them for answers.

Cockeye -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (24/7/2012 11:12:46 PM)

Well they need to pull their fingers out! Although knowing the ineptitude of your subs department (not having a go at you James) I'm not surprised its them being arses.

timmyhone -> RE: Subscriptions!!! (26/7/2012 5:43:26 PM)

T3 have been offering free ipad subscription to print subscribers for a while now

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI