Real Steel (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Real Steel (10/10/2011 2:36:29 PM)

Post your comments on this article

weiser880 -> I'd give it one more star! (10/10/2011 2:36:29 PM)

I saw the movie yesterday, and I personally would give it a four. It's rare nowadays that a Hollywood-type movie contains a story and characters that you find yourselves being emotionally invested in. What I liked was the fact it appealed to the the inner child in me, as well as the adult. I can't remember the last time that happened, because mainstream movies seem to be made for one or the other. Maybe that's why the Pixar releases do so well?

Bottom line is - both parents and children should really enjoy this movie. Go see it!

captainrentboy -> RE: Real Steel (11/10/2011 6:17:27 PM)

Saw an advanced screening on Sunday and really enjoyed it.
Easily one of the best Blockbuster-y films this year. (Not that it had a lot of quality competition)
Fantastic effects, great performances from the main leads. Characters that I actually ended up liking and caring about. (Something the Transformers films didn't manage in their combined 28 hours running time)
The downers? It was clichéd to buggery, but I knew that before going in.
4/5.

superdan -> RE: Real Steel (14/10/2011 12:40:11 PM)

It took me by surprise how much I liked this film. It's obviously cliched (it's a fight film after all), but I'm a sucker for an underdog movie. Great effects, good performances and even if the character arcs are predictable it's well done enough to keep you engaged throughout. Recommended. 

Whistler -> (15/10/2011 1:01:31 PM)

This verdict's pretty much spot-on. Uses almost every fighting movie cliche in the book, and there are a few too many sappy scenes for my liking, but the fights are stunning. Hugh Jackman said it would be incredible to look at, and he was right.

Bighousewill -> (16/10/2011 2:11:50 PM)

Really enjoyable for the lads and dads.

Filmfan 2 -> RE: (16/10/2011 5:26:38 PM)

Real Cheese.

Enjoyable enough movie, but the utter predictability of it all and the aforementioned sappy scenes let it down somewhat. Still, beautifully shot, great effects and good turns from the cast save it from being utterly forgettable.

MoBiUGeArSkIn -> RE: Real Steel (20/10/2011 12:24:40 PM)

The kid drove me slightly mental at times, and it is soooooo cheesey... that said, I think it's near impossible to dislike. There's barely a negative vibe here. It's all a lot of fun and has loads of heart. Reminded me of family flicks from the 80s, but with crazy awesome CGI.

Great effects and fights, solid performances from all. Hugh Jackman was actually really effective, way more animated and into the material than he's been for some time.

4/5

ChudMonkey -> RE: Real Steel (21/10/2011 10:16:35 AM)

Empire and the other comments here are all spot on - full of cliche, cheesy as hell and totally predictable but still a very entertaining slice of movie hokum. The special effects are astounding - you really believe the robots are right there with the characters and the attention to detail to create a near-future that is just within touching distance is exceptional (the phones, i-pod docks etc are so believable as near future creations).

Jackman does spout an awful lot of terrible lines "It's showtime!" being one of the biggest howlers and the kid can veer towards irritating at times but overall its well worth a watch on the big screen

3 out of 5

one last point - the trailer for War Horse shown before this looks utterly boring but there is a great moment where Tom Hiddlestone pops up to say something like "I promise I'll take care of him" (regarding the titular horse) to which my brother and I both turned to each other and both said "I wouldn't trust Loki" in unison - made us laugh quite a lot, probably inappropriate considering the sentimental seriousness of Spielberg's movie!

Timon -> RE: Real Steel (21/10/2011 11:44:52 PM)

I unashamedly loved this. Sure, it was Robo-Rocky, sure it hit every sports film cliche in the book and sure you knew how it was going to end, but it was a fun journey and a great family film.

Jackman was on fine form, Lilly was lovely and the kid wasn't that annoying and was surprisingly good.

A fun night out.

3.5/5

Scruffybobby -> RE: Real Steel (22/10/2011 6:38:30 PM)

Real Steel is a lot of fun. Albeit very, very cheesey. Jackman was likeable, the kid wasn't too obnoxious and the effects were superb. I did have one fairly major issue with it though. The bullfight at the start really didn't sit right with me it was just really uncomfortable seeing an animal being attacked by a huge machine in front of a cheering crowd. I suppose that the fact that the bull wins is meant to mitigate the cruelty of it  but it just left a nasty taste in my mouth and threatened to ruin an otherwise very enjoyable film. It didn't but it came close and is enough to compel me to knock off a half a star so it has to be 2.5 from me

filmsunlimited -> Enjoyable if predictable (23/10/2011 3:39:58 PM)

Former reviews have this pretty well wrapped up. Enjoyable , good CGI, cheesy, the underdog robot an all too obvious metaphor for the father that is reluctant to fight. And thankfully the starter has an outcome that doesn't require writing to the RSPCA. Quite male centric in a dad who listens to Radio 2 and his 9 year old son type of way.

pturner1010 -> Jackman’s a jackass but the boy and his ‘bot got real heart. (25/10/2011 2:16:10 PM)

Not bad http://splittingreels.blogspot.com/2011/10/real-steel-shawn-levy-2011-review.html

Dr Lenera -> RE: Jackman’s a jackass but the boy and his ‘bot got real heart. (26/10/2011 10:03:58 PM)

Basically a combination of Rocky, The Champ and I suppose The Iron Giant.  Therefore there's hardly any originality, and at times it's extremely corny, but what the hell, I like a bit of corn sometimes.  The robot battles are ferocious and at times it did really get me going, making me want to cheer at times. Far better than expected.
7.5/10

JediBobster -> RE: Jackman’s a jackass but the boy and his ‘bot got real heart. (27/10/2011 3:55:44 PM)

If you're a parent (a dad especially) and you took your child (son especially) to see The Transformers movies but you don't go to take them to see this film then you are a BAD DAD!

REAL STEEL has all the charm and wow factor that a film about a kid and his robot/s should have. The Transformers films were an assault on the eyes, ears and, at times, the morality of everyone who saw it, esp younger generation.

This film has made it okay to admit that films about fighting robots ARE cool. THE fights between the robots is everything I wanted from the eyeball-massacring stuff we got delivered in the Transformers films (I pluralise here but truth be told I, like any sane individual with an ounce of good judgement, didn't bother with the sequels).

It kills me that this film is going to end up making a fraction of what those steaming piles made at the box office.

And for all those calling this 'Rocky-with-Robots' well sure, but there's a good chunk of that other 80s Stallone 'classic', Over the Top, in there too.

In fact the only thing this film lacked was a few good fist-clenching power ballads.

JEDI BOBSTER

Everest95 -> (30/10/2011 11:43:09 PM)

The film surprised me because I didn't expect to get so emotionally involved with the characters and I was willing Atom to win the fight against Zeus. Hugh Jackman played his role perfectly I don't think anyone could have done it better.

REALLYMAD -> RE: (17/11/2011 4:24:53 PM)

**SPOILERS WARNING**

Rocky / Over The Top with robots - completely agree with that comparison.

Doesn't necessarily make it a bad film and indeed considering that evening's trip to the cinema was fuelled by the onset of boredom I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to.

The success of a near reality "what if" story relies on the credibility of the concept. Here we are expected to believe that a near future technological breakthrough in robot manufacture means that these amazing machines could indeed exist. And for me it's not that great a leap from the current robot wars you've seen on telly to imagine that the PC brigade banned real people from bashing each other's heads in so instead we looked (will look?) for an alternative to satisfy our appetite for destruction using the same megabucks and high profile the boxing industry already has.

Old fighter down on his luck, estranged kid, love interest, corporate greed, cheering the underdog... sure nothing new in any of that but I'm not ashamed of liking a good formula so long as it's done right.

I couldn't help but think of that Boxing Robots game I had as a kid. I almost expected to hear the familiar ratchet sound when the head was punched off.

jeffamania -> (27/11/2011 8:18:21 PM)

one of the most fun movies i,ve seen this year.

chrisharvey1551 -> big success (1/12/2011 1:52:56 AM)

i love this film as its light fun and easy to watch jackman does such a great job in the lead roll and towards the end i have to admit it felt like i was trading blows instead of atom totally worth watching and easily one of my favourite films this year

Gram Woods -> BORING AND CRINGEWORTHY (3/1/2012 11:03:29 PM)

I didn't expect much from this but Iwas hoping to see some great Robo-Rocky action. Instead I got an hour and forty mins of dull, emotionless father-son story and only about 20 mins of action. And what the hell was that Russian accent? I thought John Malcovich's awful Russian accent in Rounders was impossible to beat, but this Olga Fonda has managed it. Whoever cast her must have been bribed or something. Boring, predictable, surprisingly unoriginal and dull. Yet another big budget Hollywood FAIL! Pfffftt!

JAYDAK1SS -> Shite (24/1/2012 5:13:12 PM)

*SPOILERS* When Dakota Goyo takes the announcers mike to start screaming at the crowd I had seen enough. I understand family film approaches, but this is dire.

lynnshep -> Real Steel not Terrible (23/2/2012 10:19:54 PM)

Good not great movie. Jackman is good as always. Better than expected, especially the CGI.

lynnshep -> Real Steel not Terrible (23/2/2012 10:19:55 PM)

Good not great movie. Jackman is good as always. Better than expected, especially the CGI.

norgizfox -> Real Steel (24/6/2012 3:48:41 AM)

The Rock ’Em Sock ’Em movie features probably the most annoying kid in films, as well as a falty-heart script. However, it makes for good family entertainment largely due to Hugh Jackman and some fun (and techinally impressive) robot action sequences.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Real Steel (24/8/2012 2:11:20 PM)

This is a solid 6/10 with most of those points going to the robots as not only are they pretty cool but the fights are entertaining and by the end quite stirring. You definitely get the 'Rocky' vibe at times as well.

Jackman doesn't really do a great deal but his growing relationship with his son is believable - save for a scene where the kid grabs the mic in the ring and starts challenging the no.1 robot to a fight he's not particularly annoying either.

It is a bit weird we're looking at the future and everything looks exactly the same save for the robots and mobile phones - definite concessions to the budget there.

UTB -> RE: Real Steel (24/8/2012 2:44:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

It is a bit weird we're looking at the future and everything looks exactly the same save for the robots and mobile phones - definite concessions to the budget there.

Intrigued by this. I haven't seen the film so I can't comment, but what else would be futuristic in your opinion?

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Real Steel (24/8/2012 2:59:17 PM)

The cars all look the same, the lorry he drives about in looks older than vehicles you'd see today. That said I've just checked what year it's set in and it's 2020 so that's not exactly decades into the future

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Real Steel (25/8/2012 5:04:51 PM)

Look at how much has changed between 2002 and 2011, when the film came out, and that's how much change there should be between 2011 and 2020. With the allowance that there are fighting robots, of course. I think it's a fair representation.

It's also a cracking little film. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure, it's not a big hitter but, like its mechanical star, it gets it right where it counts.

thedrin -> RE: Real Steel (25/8/2012 6:24:27 PM)

I caught this on Sky a few weeks back. Much better than I expected.

What I did find weird was [spoilers] they seemed to be hinting at a story line where Atom was conscious which got dropped (the facial similarities between Atom and Wall-E's Eve didn't hurt)

quote:

Look at how much has changed between 2002 and 2011, when the film came out, and that's how much change there should be between 2011 and 2020. With the allowance that there are fighting robots, of course. I think it's a fair representation.

Technology advances progress at an exponential rate. But most of the film is set in economically depressed areas so I'd agree it's an acceptable but unimaginative representation of 2020.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Real Steel (26/8/2012 8:45:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

What I did find weird was [spoilers] they seemed to be hinting at a story line where Atom was conscious which got dropped (the facial similarities between Atom and Wall-E's Eve didn't hurt)

There was a moment where Atom was 'looking' in the mirror and you felt they might be going down the sentience route but clearly they decided to keep it simple. It would have added to the drama fightwise a lot more if he'd shown signs of life though.

quote:

Technology advances progress at an exponential rate. But most of the film is set in economically depressed areas so I'd agree it's an acceptable but unimaginative representation of 2020.

As Homer mentioned the general environment doesn't change a huge deal over a decade or so therefore the depiction of 2020 wouldn't be all that far off save for the cars.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI