RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile

Olaf -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (24/2/2012 10:37:33 AM)

Yeah Radiohead have been going a good while longer than Muse (Muse's first album didn't come out until after OK Computer if I recall correctly). The comparisons to Radiohead really come out of Muse's early work (they're not *that* similar really, but their first two albums are definitely inspired by The Bends/bits of OK Computer), so you should be okay there - they seem to have decided that Radiohead + Queen would be a good idea for some reason in the last few albums though.

sharkboy -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (24/2/2012 3:54:09 PM)

Muse's first album always struck me as what Radiohead would have sounded like if they'd stuck to the formula of The Bends and not decided to follow a few more experimental routes that led to OK Computer.  Origins of Symmetry and Absolution continued the theme to a lesser extent.  No bad thing, really.  Unfortunately, they seem to have since decided that what the world really needed was a return to the pomposity of Queen, which eventually led to Resistance, which I found to be a huge disappointment.  I still enjoy Muse (especially live), just not as much as I used to.

Goodfella -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (24/2/2012 9:01:35 PM)

So I stuck it on random and just went for a track guys, 'Karma Police', and I enjoyed it very much, not my usual style of music but engaging, brisk if a little depressing at points but still very melodic and having listened to a few more tracks, mainly from Ok Computer according to Grooveshark, I like what I've heard so far. It's funny how the first track of a new band that you listen to like this out of the blue sticks in your mind as an early 'favourite track.' I would definitely say that of 'Karma Police.'

You may yet make a fan out of this one.[:D]

horribleives -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (24/2/2012 9:08:55 PM)

I suggest that next you jump forward a few years and listen to a track called Myxomatosis through the louders speakers you can find.

Goodfella -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (24/2/2012 9:11:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I suggest that next you jump forward a few years and listen to a track called Myxomatosis through the louders speakers you can find.

Yeah, I guesed their style would probably change. I'm on the earlier stuff at the minute but will work my way forward but I like it all so far I must say.[:)]

Olaf -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (24/2/2012 9:41:53 PM)

[image]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n533/radiothread/olaf33.png[/image]

[image]http://i.imgur.com/8LHpE.jpg[/image]

1996 // unreleased

Another unreleased track, this one a regular fixture on the band’s 1996 tour between the release of ‘The Bends’ and ‘OK Computer’ (at one stage it was heavily mooted to appear on the 1997 album, and was apparently the other big hit amongst the new songs on that tour along with ‘Electioneering’). As such, it sees the band at the height of their stadium smashing powers before the abstract excursions that were soon to follow. The version I’ve picked here is unlikely to find release on a new Radiohead LP any time soon, mind – make no mistake, this is a shameless crowd pleaser, with big major chords, big guitars and a massive chorus (complete with Ed O'Brien shouting 'LIFT', which more songs need in general). All this is, of course, brilliant when done right, and this is definitive proof that Radiohead were certainly capable of knocking out big rock anthems for the rest of their days if they were so inclined. What elevates ‘Lift’ beyond the Coldplays and Snow Patrols of the world, however, is its wonderfully offbeat lyrical focus; while those bands deal in broad, blustery strokes, ‘Lift’ derives unexpected poignancy from the mundane – the crux of the song is Thom Yorke being, erm, stuck in a lift (‘in the belly of a whale / at the bottom of the ocean’: overreaction much). From this distinctly un-epic scenario springs a one of Thom’s finest lyrics from the pre-OKC period, skilfully alternating between melancholy with an unexpected note of optimism. From a technical perspective, it’s another balancing act – this time in the way it foreshadows the more complex lyrical structures of the ‘OK Computer’ period (the use of second person narration later appearing in the likes of ‘Karma Police’ and ‘Exit Music’) while retaining the intensely personal nature of earlier tracks (it’s almost certainly the only RH track to refer to Thom by name).

In all honesty, I wouldn’t want to see the Radiohead of 2012 tackle ‘Lift’ (the lethargic version the band performed on the ‘Amnesiac’ tour in 2002 a testament to this). They’re not the same band they were then, and that’s perfectly fine. That said however, I can understand the pining of fans who want the Radiohead of 1996 back, and ‘Lift’ is one of the best examples of that very different but equally brilliant band.

Listen, live at Pinkpop 1996: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3-4fK8h8ig
The not as good reworked version from Lisbon, 2002: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUdCLWxD4JI

Drew_231 -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (27/2/2012 8:25:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf
(@Drew: interesting point about the length of it. A part of me thinks HTTT could have been at least in the band's top three/four albums if it was shorter, whereas TKOL is their best paced album since Kid A for me. On the other hand, Morning Mr Magpie is 1/8th of the album whereas, say, Electioneering is only 1/12th of OKC.)

I would agree, if you took out maybe two or three songs from HTTT, it may even rank as their best so far. Its just a bit too long, with songs like Scatterbrain and Backdrifting seemingly existing in isolation to the rest of the album.
Its a strange album though. I had it on the other day, and Thom sounds half mad throughout most of it, spitting out lines while clearly in a rage
'There There' is gorgeous though 

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (29/2/2012 10:45:21 PM)

Kid A and Amnesiac are my favourite two Radiohead albums,with Rainbows and Ok computer fighting it out for third[:)]
Idioteque is my favourite Radiohead song.
Eraser by Tom Yorke is an underated album,Harrowdown is a great emotional song.

Pigeon Army -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (29/2/2012 11:38:10 PM)

So I just thought I would post to say I have tickets to see Radiohead live in November. In honour of this, I will start posting reviews more regularly, just been a bit swamped lately.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (29/2/2012 11:54:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

So I just thought I would post to say I have tickets to see Radiohead live in November. In honour of this, I will start posting reviews more regularly, just been a bit swamped lately.

[image]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-d86GvoOy9c8/TamYxthtniI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/N_FgGAY9lXQ/s1600/withnail.jpg[/image]

MartinBlank76 -> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead (16/3/2012 1:28:38 PM)

Reading this thread yesterday actually encouraged me to stick on radiohead for the first time in a while, and more specifically Pablo Honey, which I loved when it was released (and could never understand the mocking it received from the UK music press) and I still quite like it now. Ripcord to Lurgee is probably my favourite run of songs on the album (yes, I even like Vegetable) and the music and especially the lyrics are a lot more straight forward and clear than they would eventually become but theres not much here I dont enjoy and while its still Radiohead in their infancy, its still recognisably radiohead or at least the beginnings of what they will become. How do you is probably the most disposable song on the album and one that feels the most unsure of what direction they are heading in. As for Creep, when it came on I resisted the temptation to flick past it, still think its a good tune but I know it so well, that you cant help but zone out during it at times.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI