RE: Films where the bad guy wins (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Super Hans -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (19/9/2011 9:53:30 PM)

Funny Games? Possibly Shallow Grave too - although I think that's one of those films that's kind of devoid of good guys![:D]

kumar -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (19/9/2011 9:55:39 PM)

attack the block

impqueen -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (19/9/2011 10:15:57 PM)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Chinatown

The Empire Strikes Back

Nineteen Eighty Four

Seven

No Country for Old Men

The Omen

Rosemary's Baby

Fallen
[:D]
The Wicker Man

fuzzy -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (19/9/2011 10:49:19 PM)

The Strangers

Night of the Living Dead (if you count stupid rednecks)

Hood_Man -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (19/9/2011 10:55:36 PM)

Return of the Jedi, the terrorists win [:(]

sanchia -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 7:20:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Return of the Jedi, the terrorists win [:(]

[sm=happy34.gif] And Star Wars. They commit quite a few atrocities really.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 8:12:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

This thread is going to need a big SPOILER ALERT in the subject.

The Great Silence.

F**king AWESOME Spaghetti Classic!!

hatebox -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 11:08:39 AM)

Kingpin - Bill Murray is one of the most obnoxious characters in film history, then proceeds to win the bowling tournament and become rich. It's implied that he might get beaten up offscreen near the end, but it's hardly comeuppance for all the pain he's caused the main character.

ripperman -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 12:19:31 PM)

The Mist (Bleak, Bleak, Bleak...but truly brilliant)

Frank Castle -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 12:24:02 PM)

the wizard of oz

The REAL Bozz -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 12:25:34 PM)

They dont win in the Mist. The army arrives and begins cleaning it all up. If you mean the scene in the car, that really stupid one with the mass shooting then I see what you mean. The books ending is better. The film one is purely shock tactics. Fail.

adambatman82 -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 12:58:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Chinatown.

Rosemary's Baby too. And The Ghost. Polanski is a monster.

hatebox -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 1:03:46 PM)

Some would say The Dark Knight. I don't agree, but there's a case to be made given how fucked up everything is at the end. 

Deviation -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 1:05:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Chinatown.

Rosemary's Baby too. And The Ghost. Polanski is a monster.

We should do a thread about which of Polanski's work ends up positively and with the good guy winning.

clownfoot -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 1:14:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

Kingpin - Bill Murray is one of the most obnoxious characters in film history, then proceeds to win the bowling tournament and become rich. It's implied that he might get beaten up offscreen near the end, but it's hardly comeuppance for all the pain he's caused the main character.

It's one of the reasons why Kingpin is awesome. Big Ern winning is just immense.

pauljthomas -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 1:34:51 PM)

300 & Dawn Of The Dead remake

jackcarter -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 1:57:49 PM)

Star Trek Generations (Picard never left the nexus and the remaining TNG movies just happened in Picards mind)

ripperman -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 3:08:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

They dont win in the Mist. The army arrives and begins cleaning it all up. If you mean the scene in the car, that really stupid one with the mass shooting then I see what you mean. The books ending is better. The film one is purely shock tactics. Fail.

I guess technically the bad guys didnít win in the grand scheme of things but in the context of the smaller story being told they have, even on the brink of extermination, destroyed lives directly and indirectly. This is what I always brought from it (bad guys donít win but still an unhappy ending, perhaps another thread). As for the value of the ending, yes the King story ending is very good, eerie and left in the balance to an extent but thatís not to say I didnít like what Darabont brought to the movie. I actually think the movie ending is brave and not there for shock value. Thereís a nice bleak finality to it and in a world where every modern horror movie is left open and ambiguous for the inevitable sequel it really felt different and stand alone to me. Personally had no problem with it and far from a ďFailĒ. [8|][:D]

st3veebee -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 5:12:12 PM)

Wow I regret coming to this thread. First two posts have ruined films I honestly planned watching in the next week.

Doh.

vader100 -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 5:49:05 PM)

Some one mentioned the Godfather. Over the entire trilogy Michael loses all his loved ones including the one who stuck by him, his daughter. The final scene of him dying alone in Sicily intimates that, ultimately, he didn't 'win' anything.

I would have to say The Social Network. That such a git goes on to make so much money is truly galling.

Spaldron -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 6:02:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vader100

Some one mentioned the Godfather. Over the entire trilogy Michael loses all his loved ones including the one who stuck by him, his daughter. The final scene of him dying alone in Sicily intimates that, ultimately, he didn't 'win' anything.

I would have to say The Social Network. That such a git goes on to make so much money is truly galling.

What's even worse is that I've heard rumours it was based on a true story.

hatebox -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (20/9/2011 6:25:29 PM)

quote:

Eduardo Savarin still went on to win back a major share of the company and is easily a billionaire now, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Darth Marenghi -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (21/9/2011 12:12:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

Some would say The Dark Knight. I don't agree

Me neither - Bruce's willingness to take the fall for Harvey's crimes is his final victory over the Joker.

boaby -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (21/9/2011 1:50:53 AM)

quote:

Everyone's bad in the Godfather. Andy Garcia won, the ear-biting cousin-loving mass murdering sod that he was.

Also, Michael didn't lose his sister, or his son. He didn't "lose" Fredo. His parents both died of old age. He reconciled to a degree with the woman he drove away. He did nae bad considering the fate he dished out to others.

Vito definitely won. Died with, Sonny apart, his family in tact, secure and prosperous. With the son he wanted as his successor in that role. Playing with his grandson. That's not a bad way for an old gangster to go.

Biggus -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (21/9/2011 8:42:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

Everyone's bad in the Godfather. Andy Garcia won, the ear-biting cousin-loving mass murdering sod that he was.

Also, Michael didn't lose his sister, or his son. He didn't "lose" Fredo. His parents both died of old age. He reconciled to a degree with the woman he drove away. He did nae bad considering the fate he dished out to others.

Vito definitely won. Died with, Sonny apart, his family in tact, secure and prosperous. With the son he wanted as his successor in that role. Playing with his grandson. That's not a bad way for an old gangster to go.

Tom Hagen won.

Whistler -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (21/9/2011 10:48:49 AM)

In almost every horror movie the bad guy wins.  But I get your point about Hollywood movies.

vader100 -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (21/9/2011 6:10:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

I would suggest that reconciliation didn't carry on past the drama on the opera house steps. His murder of Fredo was his low, he did lose himself and his brother in that moment.

Fit Kisto -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (21/9/2011 9:17:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

This thread is going to need a big SPOILER ALERT in the subject.

The Great Silence.

F**king AWESOME Spaghetti Classic!!

There was actually an alternate happy ending shot, which was included (sans sound) on the region 1 DVD. The film is nowhere near as impactful with a happy ending, but its nice to know how things could have worked out better for Silenzio

itsmandylee101 -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (27/2/2012 4:18:28 PM)

The Usual Suspects (sorry for the spoiler!)
Hannibal
Saw
Despicable Me (well Gru is technically a villain, right?)

Skillgannon -> RE: Films where the bad guy wins (27/2/2012 4:36:15 PM)

Skeleton Key
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (Donald Sutherland version)

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI