Fresh Clip From The New The Thing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Fresh Clip From The New The Thing (13/9/2011 4:13:32 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Spacecowboy -> (13/9/2011 4:13:32 PM)

ok, The Thing (original) is one of my favourite films ever, and i was skeptical about this, but thats a pretty cool scene...

mrwinky99 -> (13/9/2011 4:20:28 PM)

this doesnt make me feel good - whats with the jumpy jumpy?
If it's 2 hours of PG13 jump scares and CGI someone is going to get a slap.
Have the makers watched the Carpenter version and realised what made it so good?

everton -> Fresh clip? (13/9/2011 4:24:41 PM)

I posted this last Wednesday...

EDIT: No blog advertising please

THERAHMAN -> Wow, it looks shit ! (13/9/2011 4:26:36 PM)

Had all the finese and class of some cheap 80s horror film, complete with shit 80s SFX of jumpy creature jumping out of ice. Not a good omen, especially if they hand picked this scene to get people interested in it.

jmebaby25 -> RE: Fresh Clip From The New The Thing (13/9/2011 4:37:52 PM)

Where are all the Norwegians?!

Fulci -> (13/9/2011 4:56:56 PM)

This clips is exclusively yours after already being online for almost a week. http://www.hugazombie.com/Zombie-News/Movie-News/First-Clip-for-THE-THING-Reveals-the-Creature-Mary-Elizabeth-Winstead-Discusses-Remaking-a-Classic

godzuki -> look at me ,im online! (13/9/2011 5:17:50 PM)

balls to all you idiots that spew forth your inane rantings about movies that you see 1 minute of... you have no idea of the context of the scene, if you actually READ empire, a couple of issues back there was an interview with the director who said that even though CGI would be used, it would only be for augmentation meaning that KNB, who are in charge of CREATURE effects have actually built the monster, not created it in the computer! it drives me crazy!! who are you people? what movies do you watch that are so perfect, you can slate a movie that hasnt even been released? yes, we are all fans of the Carpenter original but that was made in the 80's... this is the 21st century which means we have new technology to tell old fashioned stories BETTER than they could have done back in the day you people seem to be stuck in.... I know why dont you just stop watching movies if you dont want to see what can be done with tech these days and let the rest of us actually sit back and enjoy the hard work of somone who loves the original as much as you do.... Oh, and the movie is going to be R rated, Mrwinky99, you fucking imbecile!! grow up and stop judging things before they have seen the light of day!!!!

durelius -> RE: look at me ,im online! (13/9/2011 8:03:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: godzuki

balls to all you idiots that spew forth your inane rantings about movies that you see 1 minute of... you have no idea of the context of the scene, if you actually READ empire, a couple of issues back there was an interview with the director who said that even though CGI would be used, it would only be for augmentation meaning that KNB, who are in charge of CREATURE effects have actually built the monster, not created it in the computer! it drives me crazy!! who are you people? what movies do you watch that are so perfect, you can slate a movie that hasnt even been released? yes, we are all fans of the Carpenter original but that was made in the 80's... this is the 21st century which means we have new technology to tell old fashioned stories BETTER than they could have done back in the day you people seem to be stuck in.... I know why dont you just stop watching movies if you dont want to see what can be done with tech these days and let the rest of us actually sit back and enjoy the hard work of somone who loves the original as much as you do.... Oh, and the movie is going to be R rated, Mrwinky99, you fucking imbecile!! grow up and stop judging things before they have seen the light of day!!!!

Exactly how can you judge a film you've seen one small scene from, this would be a teaser rather than a trailer.

mrwinky99 -> RE: look at me ,im online! (13/9/2011 8:45:28 PM)

judging by footage thus far I see no decent creature effects, plenty of CGI and nobody speaking Norwegian. So on balance, all available evidence suggests this will be a CG retread of the original with crap jump scares added. Oh and dont forget the love interest...

I really wanted this to be good and reading some of the on set stuff it sounded encouraging but all the footage seems to suggest otherwise. Of course nobody can say one way or another until it's out but with what we have to go on thus far it looks like a turd.

elab49 -> RE: look at me ,im online! (13/9/2011 8:53:48 PM)

quote:

You won't be for much longer if you don't practice some consideration for fellow posters, and discuss rather than attack. We'd prefer you read the site rules on acceptable posting behaviour before rejoining the discussion, please.

And possibly consider that films aren't all about 'tech' - thinking it's all about tech is a good step towards a bad film. Isn't it Mr Cameron [8|]

Gazz -> RE: Fresh Clip From The New The Thing (13/9/2011 10:56:29 PM)

Well sir, I don't like it.

Not only is it a dud scare but it's also completely out of character for the creature established in Carpenter's film. Wouldn't it have been much scarier if the creature would have escaped silently much like when it attempts to take over Bennings? It simply lies in wait for it's moment alone with the character, moving slowly and cautiously. There are no loud noises, screams or even signs of a struggle on the same magnitude as shown in that MTV clip. What if the characters return to the ice block the following day to find it mysteriously empty? That way it would have also had a whole night to silently assimilate anyone it finds alone. But instead the creature just bursts out of the fucking ice like "fuck Y'all, I'm outta this muthafucker!!!".

mrwinky99 -> RE: look at me ,im online! (13/9/2011 11:15:47 PM)

quote:

Anything I post is merely my opinion. We all need to have one in order to have a discussion. I respect your stance, I'd just ask you to do the same.

Sometimes remakes using more modern methods bring something fresh like the Dawn Of The Dead remake. It managed to perfectly fuse traditional FX work with CGI to plug some of the gaps in scope in the original.
As mentioned by Gazz the Carpenter film was based around something creeping around undetected, everything seen until this point seems to point in the opposite direction. The shame of this is that the paranoia is what gave the Carpenter film it's gravity.

You cant expect people not to be cynical after the amount of disappointing reboots and remakes that have appeared over the last 10 years or so.

I want this to be good. Maybe it will be?

BenTramer -> NoThing To Get Excited About (14/9/2011 12:38:05 AM)

Why resort to cheap scares like that when you have one of the greatest monsters in movie history? The dialogue and acting wasn't great either. Not good.

fingers76 -> Chill the set (14/9/2011 2:37:31 AM)

Why oh why do they keep using 'Digital breath' in modern films to make it 'look' cold?? It looks shit and anyone can see it is not real

fingers76 -> Chill the set (14/9/2011 2:38:20 AM)

Why oh why do they keep using 'Digital breath' in modern films to make it 'look' cold?? It looks shit and anyone can see it is not real

fingers76 -> Chill the set (14/9/2011 2:39:04 AM)

DancingClown -> RE: look at me ,im online! (14/9/2011 8:00:26 AM)

quote:

... this is the 21st century which means we have new technology to tell old fashioned stories BETTER than they could have done back in the day you people seem to be stuck in....

Twaddle.

MoBiUGeArSkIn -> RE: Fresh Clip From The New The Thing (14/9/2011 8:33:37 AM)

The script is good.
The casting is good.
The SFX are practical, developed by Amalgamated Dynamics, with CGI overlays by the same studio that did the effects on District 9.
There are Norwegians in the script. The English speakers are brought in after The Thing is found.
Norwegian guys chase down that dog towards the end of the movie, but it's not the end of the movie as the story continues elsewhere.

This should be good.

Mort Grimm -> Unbelievable (14/9/2011 9:29:03 AM)

Okay guys, l'm not going to judge an entire movie on the strength/weakness of a 1 minute scene with no context whatsover. If you knew your stuff you would know that the intent here is to use minimal CGI and that alot of the creature effects are going to be practical. I can't say whether this will be good or not. I love the original but am willing to give this a fair chance. That clip was released to remind people that the movie exists really- it was not intended to scare or facinate, to showcase wild originality or whatever you all wanted it to do- in all likelihood they wanted a clip that showcased what the movie was about without actually giving anything away or showing the creature clearly (it's the Thing anyway so 'the creature' could look like anything) I should say here that I am very tired of so called 'movie lovers' hating everything that comes out these days. You don't like Superman's suit- "the capes too big!" "The 'S' is too small" "I don't like the texture!" "He's wearing no red pants!" (oh the humanity!) "I don't like his hair!" - you sound like a bunch of women huddled around a fashion magazine! (no insult intended to the awesome girls like my wife who love movies, and fashion)

So, dear film loving comrades- get a grip. I watched Battle LA there for the first time on Blu Ray- and from the complaints I heard, should have hated it- guess what? I was entertained. Here's a newsflash- NOT every movie has to change your life. Anyway, I've ranted enough. Don't even get me started on Batman fanboys... (of which I am one)

Agent Jack Bauer CTU -> music (14/9/2011 1:35:23 PM)

I just hope they keep the same haunting music from the original, and dont put Daft Punk in it or somthing....... I also hope that somewhere in the background we hear Superstition by Stevie Wonder on a radio - That would make it or break it for me.....

KnightofZyryab -> RE: music (16/9/2011 7:35:37 PM)

Even if we shouldn't judge a film based on one minute, it suggests that the filmmakers have decided to go down the cheap route with little reference to the atmosphere of the original. Two jump scares in the space of one minute in a predictable fake scare/real scare formula isn't really what The Thing is about. Then again, it's a one minute excerpt, and for marketing purposes it's probably best to show the bit that some people think makes a good horror movie.

mrwinky99 -> RE: look at me ,im online! (9/12/2011 2:51:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrwinky99

quote:

Anything I post is merely my opinion. We all need to have one in order to have a discussion. I respect your stance, I'd just ask you to do the same.

Sometimes remakes using more modern methods bring something fresh like the Dawn Of The Dead remake. It managed to perfectly fuse traditional FX work with CGI to plug some of the gaps in scope in the original.
As mentioned by Gazz the Carpenter film was based around something creeping around undetected, everything seen until this point seems to point in the opposite direction. The shame of this is that the paranoia is what gave the Carpenter film it's gravity.

You cant expect people not to be cynical after the amount of disappointing reboots and remakes that have appeared over the last 10 years or so.

I want this to be good. Maybe it will be?

well, I wasnt wrong was I ?

Saw it last week. What a horrible stinking CGI turd. gutted : /

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI