Troll Hunter (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Troll Hunter (5/9/2011 9:31:56 AM)

Post your comments on this article

losthighway -> GOOD, NOT GREAT (SADLY!) (5/9/2011 9:31:56 AM)

So after almost a year(!!!) i finally sat down and watched it tonight and here's my thoughts in no particular order...

It follows a group of college students who decide to record events surrounding bear attacks/poaching in Norway and in the process they start following a mysterious poacher/tracker who ends up being the Troll Hunter of the title. The film takes ages to get going and when it does it treads a very odd line of mock documentary/National Geographic wildlife programme... and here lies its two main problems. First, the film starts with text stating the footage we are watching was found, eventually decided to be authentic and finally cut into chronological order, however the first thing you notice is how well filmed it is (by these college students!) and how the cineatography beautifully fits in with whoever supposedly edited it all back together, so you never really feel that it is 'discovered footage' but rather a film. Second, once the students start filming the Troll Hunter and discovering more about his job the film essentially becomes a National Geographic wildlife programme which drags as they drive from region to region. We do learn about the various types of trolls, their habitats, how the government has been maintaining their territories over the years, but to put it bluntly about 80% of the film's running time is essentially a troll conservation wildlife programme. It should also be mentioned that the film lifts liberally from Jurassic Park and Blair Witch, which in itself is no bad thing but when you're watching certain scenes and thinking i've seen this in another film, that's not so great.

On the positive side (because I realise i have listed a lot of negatives here!)... the trolls themselves are beautifully realised and CGI effects fit into the natural habitats fairly seamlessly. There is a small sideplot regarding one of the camera crew and i was pretty sure i knew where it was going right up until the last quarter when suddenly it was revealed to not be what i was expecting. There is some observational comedy which raised a chuckle and some of the Troll mythology is played with and grounded more in reality, plus a brilliant scene involving a Christian hymn and a land rover (I'll say no more! ). It is fair to say you do feel sorry for the trolls and one of the stories the hunter tells will only heighten this feeling... In fact, the wildlife programme tone of the whole film will have you believing in trolls but due to some massive gaping plotholes, e.g. how come no one has seen/heard them by now(!?), it's hard to accept some of the scenes where these giants are supposedly quietly tiptoeing through woods or wandering across barren snowscapes. Plus, if it is all about troll conservation, then why do they keep insisting on killing the poor things whilst at the same time preserving their territories!?

As you can probably tell by now, I wanted to like this film more than I have done. Am I a bit disappointed... ultimately yes! Would I recommend it... Yes! Should I wait for the DVD/see it at the cinema... tbh, i'm actually pleased i saw it on DVD - the slow start and odd bit of dragging narrative would have felt worse in the cinema. As long as you lower your expectations (mine were pretty high to be fair), you'll enjoy yourself. However, i should definately reiterate very clear now that Troll Hunter is essentially a National Geographic wildlife programme about troll conservation.

3/5

losthighway -> GOOD, NOT GREAT (SADLY!) (5/9/2011 9:31:57 AM)

Not sure what's happened here! [&:]

Hillsman -> Shadow of the Colossus? (5/9/2011 12:10:14 PM)

This is a LOT like a big-screen version of the famous PS2 game of the same name!!

nhassell -> RE: Shadow of the Colossus? (5/9/2011 9:04:47 PM)

Saw it at Big Screen. Quality entertainment.

darktrain -> loved it (5/9/2011 10:11:20 PM)

didnt know what to expect going in,came out loving it,effects were ace and although it was shaky cam it wasnt over the top..

Sanya -> us remake (9/9/2011 4:41:02 PM)

more suspense less brains &atmosphere. no thanks

thetruth -> RE: us remake (9/9/2011 7:39:09 PM)

Oh dear,what can you say?Purely for fans of Norwegian science fiction B-Movies.
Not terrible,but very clunky and scattered.Is it "real"?Is it a documentary?Is it a film?
What of the trolls?Are we to hate/loathe/fear/feel sorry for them?
It's all very unclear what the message or indeed the point is!
The cgi is reasonable-but quite dark and blurred at times.The trolls have no characteristics to relate to-they stupid creatures roaming the not so varied landscape.
2 stars for effort.

Timon -> RE: Troll Hunter (9/9/2011 10:50:02 PM)

I loved it. A great little monster film and much funnier than I was expecting.

Also I loved the fact the trolls looked like they'd walked out of Fraggle Rock.

4/5

Snake-Eyes -> Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 12:48:56 AM)

Urgh. Just got back from watching TROLL HUNTER. F**king DULL. The Trolls weren't scary, just stupid-looking. Not at any point did I feel the characters were in any sort of peril. I was really looking forward to this one as well. Just another in a looooong line of films that I've watched at the cinema this year that SUCKED DEAD D**K.

thetruth -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 1:28:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I loved it. A great little monster film and much funnier than I was expecting.

Also I loved the fact the trolls looked like they'd walked out of Fraggle Rock.

4/5

In the context of this film it was like someone went in and butchered the inhabitants of Fraggle Rock for no apparent reason.
Definitely no "work your cares away" here.[&:]

thetruth -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 1:30:43 AM)

Yeah,and i seen a trailer that again did the Monsters ploy of selling an ad for something completely different.

Timon -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 8:09:07 AM)

But there was a reason, the trolls were straying out of their territory and killing cattle and tourists (despite the fact they kill concrete and gravel).

Also, the design of the trolls was really unique. If you try and do a 'scary' monster like they do with vampires and werewolves, I don't think it would have worked as well because thisn't wasn't so much a horror film as a mockumentary.

The fact you didn't think the characters were in much peril is missing the point, because the film wasn't trying to make you fear for there lives - otherwise they wouldn't have had the hilarious "Why didn't he tell us he was a Christian!" line after a character died. This film is primarily made for laughs, not scares and the creature designs were completely in line with this.

Snake-Eyes -> Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 9:14:21 AM)

I watched this film last night as part of a double-bill with John Carpenter's THE THING. Packed house. Nobody laughed during TROLL HUNTER. It wasn't 'funny' - not even by mistake. The characters weren't engaging enough for anybody to give a s**t. The ending was just bland. I can't believe one of the reviewers had the audacity to compare this wet turd to JURASSIC PARK!

Incidentally, the whole crowd was absolutely roaring when we were watching THE THING. [;)]

Timon -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 9:27:10 AM)

I saw it in a full house - and everyone had a great time. I can only assume your crowd were expecting a) something completely different or b) are completely joyless.

And having it as a double bill with The Thing is a bit ridiculous. They're completely different films.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 9:31:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I saw it in a full house - and everyone had a great time. I can only assume your crowd were expecting a) something completely different or b) are completely joyless.

And having it as a double bill with The Thing is a bit ridiculous. They're completely different films.

That's EXACTLY what I thought! But I wasn't gonna pass up the opportunity to watch one of my all-time favourites on the big screen just up the road from where I live.

thetruth -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 10:01:43 AM)

No "plot" analysis makes any sense!That is why it's hard to treat this as if it's serious or not,as it goes from one approach to the other.
If,and aside from one sheep left for bait,the trolls are such killing machines why/how:
Is there ONE person tasked with the job of killing them?
Do we only see trolls being attacked as opposed attacking people?
How do you keep 200 feet trolls with rabies rampaging through the countryside a secret?

All the money shots are in the trailer of EVERY troll encounter.Everything else is a Norwegian chat.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 10:54:49 AM)

I strongly disagree that this is like Monsters - you get plenty of trolls in this flick - sometimes up close. 

thetruth -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 2:48:02 PM)

Sorry,not as a direct cinematic experience,i mean the marketing.
The Monsters trailer implied and mislead,but similarly this trailer gave the impression of something more exciting.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 2:51:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

The Monsters trailer implied and mislead,but similarly this trailer gave the impression of something more exciting.

I dunno - the trailer pretty much delievred what you see on screen. It has a Troll Hunter, it shows the "found footage" style camera and it shows Trolls. I know you are disappointed in it, but that is a matter of execution rather than broken promises.

Deviation -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 3:39:23 PM)

If Troll Hunter doesn't have 45 minutes of people walking in the jungle being depressed, I'll be sorely disappointed. 

rich -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 5:35:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

If Troll Hunter doesn't have 45 minutes of people walking in the jungle being depressed, I'll be sorely disappointed. 

I dont think there are many jungles in Norway ...

Deviation -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 7:24:50 PM)

Slight inconvenience...

Snake-Eyes -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 9:21:42 PM)

I'm gonna make my own version. It'll be about a Ninja who goes after his arch-enemy - a pain in the arse who likes shite animated films and leaves annoying, one-note responses in other people's threads: TROLL HUNTER.

losthighway -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 10:12:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I watched this film last night as part of a double-bill with John Carpenter's THE THING. Packed house. Nobody laughed during TROLL HUNTER. It wasn't 'funny' - not even by mistake. The characters weren't engaging enough for anybody to give a s**t. The ending was just bland. I can't believe one of the reviewers had the audacity to compare this wet turd to JURASSIC PARK!

Incidentally, the whole crowd was absolutely roaring when we were watching THE THING. [;)]

That would be me Snake Eyes... how can you say this wasn't influenced by Jurassic Park!!?? 

thetruth -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 10:15:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

It has more than 45 minutes of people wandering around Norway depressed.

thetruth -> RE: Troll Hunter (10/9/2011 10:15:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

I dunno - the trailer pretty much delievred what you see on screen. It has a Troll Hunter, it shows the "found footage" style camera and it shows Trolls. I know you are disappointed in it, but that is a matter of execution rather than broken promises.

The problem is the trailer IS the film!

ClarisseLoughrey -> (10/9/2011 11:12:00 PM)

Pleasantly surprised at how fun and joyful this movie was. Definitely agree that it seemed very much in the same vein as Rare Exports, with a similar dry sense of humour and use of Scandinavian mythology to poke fun at Hollywood genre tropes.

I wonder whether people who didn't like this movie were just disappointed it wasn't the horror movie they expected? The promotion of it made it out to be something really intense, while the actual movie is much sillier, fantastical, and kind of sweet in some ways. The humour was also subtle enough that it kind of catches you off guard, this definitely doesn't sit up and scream "comedy" to you.

hatebox -> RE: (11/9/2011 12:28:56 AM)

It's not a film I would strongly recommend but I enjoyed it at the time. It takes a while for the tone to settle down, for the first 20 minutes I thought it'd play everything straight-faced but that went out the window when we got to know the Van Helsing character better and it became more of an adventure film. The ending was predictable, though I guess with any 'found footage' story it's easy enough to predict the final reel's tone.

thetruth -> RE: RE: (11/9/2011 1:55:19 AM)

How can you enjoy it but not recommend it??

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI