Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (5/8/2011 6:02:06 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Woger -> RE: Is this a Prequel? (5/8/2011 6:26:47 PM)

But you gave Rising Sun three stars! But seriously good to see this getting what looks like all round positive feedback.

BatFan -> RE: Why have you done this? (5/8/2011 7:05:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheWitherall

I haven't seen this yet, but the last paragraph in the main review does worry me that you've given away a bit more than the average reader (including me - though I am above average) would have liked...

That being said, you're normally alright, so...

With all the commotion over the captain america review I clicked to read this review then stopped and decided to read the comments. Saw this and glad I did, won;t be reading this review til ive watched the film.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Why have you done this? (5/8/2011 9:00:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

quote:

I haven't seen this yet, but the last paragraph in the main review does worry me that you've given away a bit more than the average reader (including me - though I am above average) would have liked...

With all the commotion over the captain america review I clicked to read this review then stopped and decided to read the comments. Saw this and glad I did, won;t be reading this review til ive watched the film.

People - the movie is called RISE of the PLANET of the APES - it is impossble to spoil how the film ends.

bthree -> RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (6/8/2011 2:13:58 AM)

The way I look at these movies is sort of like the reboot of Star Trek. They can all exist in different time-streams. IMO, the whole bit about the magnetic storms in space was a great addition to the franchise. Now that we have 3 origin stories (Escape from the Planet of the Apes/ Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, Planet of the Apes (2001 version) and Rise of the Planet of the Apes) you can tell any “Apes” story you want without screwing with what has come before. It also allows for each movie to stand on its own merits without being directly compared to any of the others (which is something that happened to the 2001 film and fueled fan disappointment).
I just watched the Wahlberg movie again and, gain in my opinion, its more of a reboot than a remake. Its not all that bad of a film from that point of view. In fact it really is pretty good in spots...of course, it really sux at times also. It’s one of those movies thats kind of entertaining and does some good things, but the pace is off and it just tries to stuff too much in all at once.
For “Rise” I’m going in with the attitude that it has nothing at all to do with either the original movies, the Wahlberg movie or the TV shows.
BTW, the Original is still, by far, the best of all the movies. CLASSIC!

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Why have you done this? (6/8/2011 2:37:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

People - the movie is called Rise of the Planet of the Apes - it is impossble to spoil how the film ends.

We're not suffering from tinitus here, bold would've done. If anyone criticises the review for revealing a spoiler. I don't think their issue is the outcome (anyone with a 0.111 ounce of familiarity with the series will know) but rather the way in which it happens. As each new tale has a different way of showing exactly how the world of man fell.

I'm not going to see the film. I appreciate it the series has a long history but it doesn't intrigue me in the slightest. Good to see David Oyelowo earning bigger roles. I look forward to see what he does with "Red Tails".

thetruth -> RE: Why have you done this? (6/8/2011 8:40:03 AM)

Looking forward to this,loved the originals growing up,and the tv series.The Wahlberg film would have been better with him not in it.
Dont get the issue with the review,even if you knew nothing about the series surely....?

TheWitherall -> RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (6/8/2011 10:21:57 AM)

I have to say; after reading the comments I am now far less concerned for the reviewer's mediocrity than I am for the country's slender grasp of grammar...

thetruth -> RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (6/8/2011 10:39:22 AM)

quote:

I have to say; after reading the comments I am now far less concerned for the reviewer's mediocrity than I am for the country's slender grasp of grammar...

Careful now!
I was called a dork yesterday![:D]

TheWitherall -> RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (6/8/2011 10:54:37 AM)

Oh I like it! The word 'dork' reminds me of 1992. And also Michael Douglas's haircut in Falling Down.

thetruth -> RE: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (6/8/2011 10:58:14 AM)

Love that film!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Why have you done this? (6/8/2011 11:04:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

quote:

quote:

People - the movie is called Rise of the Planet of the Apes - it is impossble to spoil how the film ends.

We're not suffering from tinitus here, bold would've done. If anyone criticises the review for revealing a spoiler. I don't think their issue is the outcome (anyone with a 0.111 ounce of familiarity with the series will know) but rather the way in which it happens. As each new tale has a different way of showing exactly how the world of man fell.

I'm not going to see the film. I appreciate it the series has a long history but it doesn't intrigue me in the slightest. Good to see David Oyelowo earning bigger roles. I look forward to see what he does with "Red Tails".

The sequence mentioned is on every poster, shown on every trailer and has been talked about quite a lot in the media. There are spoilers, and then there is stuff which is near impossible not to know about.

People around here just like to moan about any little slight that they can see in reviews. It happens time and again.

Sorry you won't be seeing it Emyr - it looks like a smart science ficiton picture from which you don't need any knowledge of the old films. Looking forward to it myself.

BatFan -> RE: Why have you done this? (6/8/2011 11:45:40 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The sequence mentioned is on every poster, shown on every trailer and has been talked about quite a lot in the media. There are spoilers, and then there is stuff which is near impossible not to know about.

People around here just like to moan about any little slight that they can see in reviews. It happens time and again.

Sorry you won't be seeing it Emyr - it looks like a smart science ficiton picture from which you don't need any knowledge of the old films. Looking forward to it myself.

As Emyr mentioned it's not what happens but how it happens. Plus I haven't read the review yet so maybe the original poster was exaggerating but I didn't want to take that chance. I haven't watched any of the later trailers and Haven't listened to any of the media on it. Because I didn't want anything ruined for me.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Why have you done this? (6/8/2011 12:00:02 PM)

The review doesn't say how they do it. 

BatFan -> RE: Why have you done this? (6/8/2011 12:03:59 PM)

quote:

Ok, thanks for that.

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Why have you done this? (6/8/2011 6:59:47 PM)

quote:

I don't want to have a go at you Rgirvan. It's just when I read posts which have words in caps, it's not nice to read and it reminds me too much of the bad points of IMDB. Although you're not the kind to ram your opinion down the throats of others. Maybe that's my domain. [8D]

I know it's a science fiction film but I don't think I can suspend disbelief when watching a bunch of apes take over the world. Seeing as though what Kim Newman described as being the final battle (which is a little spoilerish) paints the humans as a being dumber than the apes.

I like the line by the elder ape played by Charlton Heston in Burton's reboot; when speaking about humanity he said "their cruelty is only matched by their ingenuity". Suggesting that apes will never be able to reach the level of technology and understanding that humans can. Although wasn't the whole 'narrative' or at least a part of it to do with how humanity lost control of the world through hubris; but managed to re-gain it through the very things that apes never could develope?

Regarding the spoiler. I know what you said about it being hinted/shown in posters, trailers and so forth. However, there may be filmgoers who haven't seen any promotional material such as the trailer and go in completely unfamiliar with whatever's in the film. Personally, all I had seen was the poster and I don't recall a lot from the trailer. After having read that bit by Newman. It's a little distracting because it'll be in my mind hah. I think I'll wait for the DVD release.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Why have you done this? (6/8/2011 7:07:09 PM)

With regard to the idea of how the apes can take over the world it is explained in the movie. 

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Why have you done this? (6/8/2011 7:14:55 PM)

quote:

With regard to the idea of how the apes can take over the world it is explained in the movie. 

I know, it's a [spoiler]genetically engineered super-virus/retro-virus.

I'll probably be more interested in what they do with the franchise later. I went to the Wikipedia page for it and [spoiler] it mentions a spaceship based on Liberty 1 named Icarus. What relevance does this bear on the series?

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Why have you done this? (6/8/2011 7:18:11 PM)

It is a little easter egg,

Honestly, the reviews for this have been terriffic - I was afraid we wouldn't be getting a decent science fiction this summer.

thetruth -> RE: Planet of the Apes Fan (6/8/2011 7:54:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: repman1

Love the Planet of the Apes films even the Tim Burton one had a good last 5 minutes.
But just seen the new one and it is easily one of the best of the summer films and it looked so crap in the trailers.
I think the trailer looks awesome!

Woger -> RE: Why have you done this? (7/8/2011 12:53:09 AM)

quote:

Magnets?

thetruth -> RE: Why have you done this? (7/8/2011 1:01:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

Magnets?

Hidden bananas??

cerebusboy -> RE: Why have you done this? (7/8/2011 11:21:21 AM)

quote:

quote:

I don't want to have a go at you Rgirvan. It's just when I read posts which have words in caps, it's not nice to read and it reminds me too much of the bad points of IMDB. Although you're not the kind to ram your opinion down the throats of others. Maybe that's my domain. [8D]

I know it's a science fiction film but I don't think I can suspend disbelief when watching a bunch of apes take over the world. Seeing as though what Kim Newman described as being the final battle (which is a little spoilerish) paints the humans as a being dumber than the apes.

I like the line by the elder ape played by Charlton Heston in Burton's reboot; when speaking about humanity he said "their cruelty is only matched by their ingenuity". Suggesting that apes will never be able to reach the level of technology and understanding that humans can. Although wasn't the whole 'narrative' or at least a part of it to do with how humanity lost control of the world through hubris; but managed to re-gain it through the very things that apes never could develope?

Regarding the spoiler. I know what you said about it being hinted/shown in posters, trailers and so forth. However, there may be filmgoers who haven't seen any promotional material such as the trailer and go in completely unfamiliar with whatever's in the film. Personally, all I had seen was the poster and I don't recall a lot from the trailer. After having read that bit by Newman. It's a little distracting because it'll be in my mind hah. I think I'll wait for the DVD release.

The Trailer is chronological - it starts with the baby chimp (very cute!), shows it developing advanced intelligence, developing bonds, defending John Lithgow, being locked up, escaping, breaking out the monkey superserum and throwing it at the other monkey cages. Then it's all the rampaging monkey footage - that ends in the Golden Great bridge send off, meaning that most viewers could guess that would be at the end. I appreciate that people could technically avoid trailers, but if you go to a cinema a lot you'll have seen the Rise (so should have called it Chimps Gone Wild :() trailer more than that damn Orange Wednesdays Deperdieu ad. How do people avoid trailer "spoilers" anyway? Leave the cinema as soon as a film they're interested in comes on (banging into people coming in to see the main attraction on the way)? I think Newman is right in thinking that anything in the trailer is no exactly a 'spoiler'. And you could argue that he made the point about the final battle for those who, like yourself, regard the ape takeover as intrinsically ludicrous and so dramatically flawed. Chimps can rip people's faces off, and Gorillas have massive strength (Orangutangs are less cool, although I liked the one in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back). Add superintelligence and into the mix and you have , at the very least, a potentially fair fight. Who says that the apes can't figure out how to use weapons anyway? the trailer shows Caesar making a tool to escape the cage, which is surely more advanced than learning how to fire a gun (apes with rocket launchers or samurai swords would be pretty cool too)

thetruth -> RE: Why have you done this? (7/8/2011 11:44:16 AM)

Trailers are generally well researched and put together by film promoters.The primary function is to inform.
I know quite a few times iīve seen a trailer and been suckered into seeing a duff film,the trailer being the film and the film having nothing better to offer.
Yes thatīs my own fault,but thereīs a thin line between information and spoilers!
This trailer actually serves to get people who might not have gone to rethink,and thatīs a good thing.

cerebusboy -> RE: Why have you done this? (7/8/2011 11:51:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Trailers are generally well researched and put together by film promoters.The primary function is to inform.
I know quite a few times iīve seen a trailer and been suckered into seeing a duff film,the trailer being the film and the film having nothing better to offer.
Yes thatīs my own fault,but thereīs a thin line between information and spoilers!
This trailer actually serves to get people who might not have gone to rethink,and thatīs a good thing.

I'm not sure what we're actually disagreeing about [;)]

I agree that this trailer tries to be informative, emphasising plausible reasons (experimentation on apes for Alzheimer) for the Chimps to Go Wild. Newman's alleged 'spoiler' is perfectly legitimate in that context. In contrast, I posted something on the Super 8 thread which I deleted as soon as someone pointed it out. The trailers etc have kept the plot under wraps, and most reviews reflect this, sensibly.

There was a brilliant bit in a recent Kevin Smith podcast where he said that the photos of the Batman and Bane fight must be a red herring, as there's no way the secretive Nolan would spoil a major battle a year before the film came out. Scott Mosier replied that , if you already know that Batman and Bane are in the movie, it's not a spoiler to show them fighting. What else are they gonna do, eat cucumber sandwiches and sort out their differences over afternoon tea ? [:D] ?

thetruth -> RE: Why have you done this? (7/8/2011 2:12:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

I'm not sure what we're actually disagreeing about [;)]

I agree that this trailer tries to be informative, emphasising plausible reasons (experimentation on apes for Alzheimer) for the Chimps to Go Wild. Newman's alleged 'spoiler' is perfectly legitimate in that context. In contrast, I posted something on the Super 8 thread which I deleted as soon as someone pointed it out. The trailers etc have kept the plot under wraps, and most reviews reflect this, sensibly.

There was a brilliant bit in a recent Kevin Smith podcast where he said that the photos of the Batman and Bane fight must be a red herring, as there's no way the secretive Nolan would spoil a major battle a year before the film came out. Scott Mosier replied that , if you already know that Batman and Bane are in the movie, it's not a spoiler to show them fighting. What else are they gonna do, eat cucumber sandwiches and sort out their differences over afternoon tea ? [:D] ?

Didnt think we were disagreeing either!
[:D]
Agree with the last bit,i knew what this was about the minute i heard about the project!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Why have you done this? (8/8/2011 2:04:35 AM)

The reviews for this have been great - sounds like we have a winner!

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Why have you done this? (9/8/2011 9:30:31 PM)

quote:

The Trailer is chronological - it starts with the baby chimp (very cute!), shows it developing advanced intelligence, developing bonds, defending John Lithgow, being locked up, escaping, breaking out the monkey superserum and throwing it at the other monkey cages. Then it's all the rampaging monkey footage - that ends in the Golden Great bridge send off, meaning that most viewers could guess that would be at the end. I appreciate that people could technically avoid trailers, but if you go to a cinema a lot you'll have seen the Rise (so should have called it Chimps Gone Wild :() trailer more than that damn Orange Wednesdays Deperdieu ad. How do people avoid trailer "spoilers" anyway? Leave the cinema as soon as a film they're interested in comes on (banging into people coming in to see the main attraction on the way)?

I actually managed to see the theatrical realeases of "Batman Begins" and "Transformers" without actually seeing a trailer nor even a poster if I recall. Actually I had seen just a few images of "BB"; Bruce Wayne, the Batman and a rear shot of the Tumbler. I knew very little about both films and I enjoyed them immensely. I think if I had known too much about the plot or even its outline, it may have spoiled the experience for me a little. So it is possible, but very unlikely admittedly. Especially with viral marketing, internet coverage and trailers being seen on television and in cinemas.

quote:

I think Newman is right in thinking that anything in the trailer is no exactly a 'spoiler'.

To be fair, he doesn't reveal too much about the final battle. Although to be fussy, I'd prefer it if he simply just mentioned a climactic battle at the end. As some would expect the National Guard to be involved perhaps. With just police, even with guns you know they're going to get stampeded!

I don't recall Kim Newman mentioned anything about the spoiler matter anyway?

quote:

Chimps can rip people's faces off, and Gorillas have massive strength (Orangutangs are less cool, although I liked the one in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back). Add superintelligence and into the mix and you have , at the very least, a potentially fair fight. Who says that the apes can't figure out how to use weapons anyway? the trailer shows Caesar making a tool to escape the cage, which is surely more advanced than learning how to fire a gun (apes with rocket launchers or samurai swords would be pretty cool too)

Yes I know all about the strength of apes. Orangutangs are at least three times stronger than the strongest man on Earth could possibly be. Still, pulling a trigger is one thing. Handling and operating a complex weapon with moving parts is something else. Safety catches, unjamming a weapon, loading a new magazine, cocking it etc. Not something an ape would pick up, despite how intelligent it is. By the way, neanderthals managed to create basic tools. They didn't get very far though. [;)]

For me, I think where this franchise will become interesting is showing the aftermath of the simian takeover. What will the post-apocalyptic Earth look like? What will the ape's new society be like? What will happen to the remnants of mankind? To me, whilst the kind of tales are cautionary, particularly about the perils of dealing with advanced, experimental and dangerous technology (rather technophobic); they're ultimately about the rise, fall and the rise again of mankind. The 'Terminator' series springs to mind.

I think in subsequent films. We're not going to see apes with particle beam weapons nor VTOL aircraft. They'll just have sharpened tools, knives and spears with a basic society. Which is why the world will crumble. All the complex technology and machinery maintained by man will come to ruin.

Apes with rocket launcher and samurai swords? No, boring. I'd much rather something more unusal. "Planet of the Apes vs Aliens" (no facepalming). I can just imagine the poster. A horde of both creatures on each side, an orangutang is face-hugged. Whilst a big gorilla has caught a face-hugger in mid-jump and ripped it in half. C'mon, you know you want to hehe.

Lastly, does anything think the naming of the rebellious main chimp is purposeful? Caesar...he was stabbed in the back and bertrayed. He also oversaw the transformation of the Roman Republic to the Roman Empire. In the same way he's reponsible for the end of the dominion of man (not indefinitely) to the dominian of the ape? Could there be an allegory here?

thetruth -> RE: Didi you really buy this? (10/8/2011 12:48:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scabzine

This movie is so unconvincing and filled with plot holes, one-dimensional characters, unnecessary characters... And, above all - sooo boring!

[spoiler]
Ape that's human-smart because he "worked in circus"? No one at the laboratory knew that the most special and analyzed monkey is pregnant? Humanity in danged (in spite of superior numbers and weapons) because of 50 apes with spears? How many of them is there anyway, since numbers vary depending of the scene? How come zoo monkeys got intelligent the second other apes released them? Where did all the cops from the bridge disappear? Where is the army?...

Boo to this grumpy spoiler![:'(]

thetruth -> RE: Why have you done this? (10/8/2011 12:57:55 AM)

quote:

quote:

The Trailer is chronological - it starts with the baby chimp (very cute!), shows it developing advanced intelligence, developing bonds, defending John Lithgow, being locked up, escaping, breaking out the monkey superserum and throwing it at the other monkey cages. Then it's all the rampaging monkey footage - that ends in the Golden Great bridge send off, meaning that most viewers could guess that would be at the end. I appreciate that people could technically avoid trailers, but if you go to a cinema a lot you'll have seen the Rise (so should have called it Chimps Gone Wild :() trailer more than that damn Orange Wednesdays Deperdieu ad. How do people avoid trailer "spoilers" anyway? Leave the cinema as soon as a film they're interested in comes on (banging into people coming in to see the main attraction on the way)?

I actually managed to see the theatrical realeases of "Batman Begins" and "Transformers" without actually seeing a trailer nor even a poster if I recall. Actually I had seen just a few images of "BB"; Bruce Wayne, the Batman and a rear shot of the Tumbler. I knew very little about both films and I enjoyed them immensely. I think if I had known too much about the plot or even its outline, it may have spoiled the experience for me a little. So it is possible, but very unlikely admittedly. Especially with viral marketing, internet coverage and trailers being seen on television and in cinemas.

quote:

I think Newman is right in thinking that anything in the trailer is no exactly a 'spoiler'.

To be fair, he doesn't reveal too much about the final battle. Although to be fussy, I'd prefer it if he simply just mentioned a climactic battle at the end. As some would expect the National Guard to be involved perhaps. With just police, even with guns you know they're going to get stampeded!

I don't recall Kim Newman mentioned anything about the spoiler matter anyway?

quote:

Chimps can rip people's faces off, and Gorillas have massive strength (Orangutangs are less cool, although I liked the one in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back). Add superintelligence and into the mix and you have , at the very least, a potentially fair fight. Who says that the apes can't figure out how to use weapons anyway? the trailer shows Caesar making a tool to escape the cage, which is surely more advanced than learning how to fire a gun (apes with rocket launchers or samurai swords would be pretty cool too)

Yes I know all about the strength of apes. Orangutangs are at least three times stronger than the strongest man on Earth could possibly be. Still, pulling a trigger is one thing. Handling and operating a complex weapon with moving parts is something else. Safety catches, unjamming a weapon, loading a new magazine, cocking it etc. Not something an ape would pick up, despite how intelligent it is. By the way, neanderthals managed to create basic tools. They didn't get very far though. [;)]

For me, I think where this franchise will become interesting is showing the aftermath of the simian takeover. What will the post-apocalyptic Earth look like? What will the ape's new society be like? What will happen to the remnants of mankind? To me, whilst the kind of tales are cautionary, particularly about the perils of dealing with advanced, experimental and dangerous technology (rather technophobic); they're ultimately about the rise and fall of mankind. The 'Terminator' series springs to mind.

I think in subsequent films. We're not going to see apes with particle beam weapons nor VTOL aircraft. They'll just have sharpened tools, knives and spears with a basic society. Which is why the world will crumble. All the complex technology and machinery maintained by man will come to ruin.

Apes with rocket launcher and samurai swords? No, boring. I'd much rather something more unusal. "Planet of the Apes vs Aliens" (no facepalming). I can just imagine the poster. A horde of both creatures on each side, an orangutang is face-hugged. Whilst a big gorilla has caught a face-hugger in mid-jump and ripped it in half. C'mon, you know you want to hehe.

Lastly, does anything think the naming of the rebellious main chimp is purposeful? Caesar...he was stabbed in the back and bertrayed. He also oversaw the transformation of the Roman Republic to the Roman Empire. In the same way he's reponsible for the end of the dominion of man (not indefinitely) to the dominian of the ape? Could there be an allegory here?

Too much analysis pre-film old boy!
And Caesar was mentioned in the original films!

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
6.201172E-02