Cell 211 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Cell 211 (21/7/2011 3:44:20 PM)

Post your comments on this article

snakes_on_a_plane -> (21/7/2011 3:44:20 PM)

Incredible film.

Groovy Mule -> RE: (22/7/2011 2:12:33 AM)

Loved it - my favourite film of the year so far.

Starts with a fairly graphic wrist cutting scene - something I have a real squemishness about and always have and I feared that I was going to find this a difficult watch but I was gripped for the rest of the film.

The reason I found the film so gripping is twofold - firstly, the film and its narrative rattle along at quite some pace.  There's a lot going on and I suspect that the pacing also allowed me to forgive some of the film's more fanciful plot points or suspensions of disbelief required.  The second reason is 2 electric performances from Luis Toser and Alberto Ammann.  As prison kingpin Malamadre, Toser is authorative and genuinely menacing and yet, the filmmakers managed to make him sufficiently sympathetic and likeable that you have no trouble believing that the inmates act out of more than fear of him.  On the other hand, Ammann manages to tread the tightrope between being sufficiently soft to make his relationship with his pregnant wife believable whilst being sufficient hard-nosed so as to make it credible that he isn't pummelled to death within the first two minutes.

This is high concept taut thriller filmmaking at its best.  Catch this before the inevitable Hollywood remake.

Fit Kisto -> RE: RE: (15/8/2011 7:26:12 PM)

Too bad this really got buried in the release schedules. Did it even play outside of London?

Looking forward to a swift dvd release anyway.

fugaziuk -> RE: RE: (16/8/2011 12:20:14 PM)

It was on at Cineworld in Sheffield for two weeks

BelovedAunt -> RE: RE: (5/9/2011 1:05:30 PM)

Good film, although maybe just slightly too long. Was surprised to see Colin Farrell reprise his role from Daredevil in it. Some pretty convincingly scary convicts in it - one in particular has a voice that could haunt your dreams...

film man aidy -> RE: RE: (29/1/2012 8:41:31 PM)

A really solid prison drama that deserves a wider audience. A great concept, and a truely great character in Malamadre, the scariest onscreen convict in years. The film also has some unexpected twists and turns past the halfway mark, giving way to a shocking third act. See it before Hollywood tramples over it with a remake.
***1/2

Last films seen
The French Connection ****
French Connection 2 ***1/2
The Artist ****1/2
Cell 211 ***1/2 

guysalisbury -> I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! (18/10/2012 10:29:50 AM)

Really don't understand why this film got so much love! The acting was was very weak and there was a real lack of suspense. To compare this to A Prophet is an insult. Very disappointed.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
5.078125E-02