RE: Not the ending you wanted (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Arron_ -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (14/11/2011 1:40:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I was quite enjoying The Last Exorcism until the last five minutes ruined everything.

A shame because everything before the climax was smart and scary.

Excellent point. My girlfriend and I talked about this after we'd watched it. The ending just got incredibly silly.

Gazz -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (14/11/2011 2:18:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Wings of Desire - it's such a beautiful film, but Marion's monologue/speech for the last 10 or so minutes didn't work for me. If one of the angels had talked, or they had just shown it silent, it would have been more powerful, I think.

Absolutely. I said the same thing on another forum.

All in all I really loved Wings of Desire right up until Marion's monologue in the film's final moments. Although it had been in keeping with the style, I really thought that less would have said more. Damiel is no longer privileged to read her thoughts and is as human as the rest of us therefore their relationship should be a human one. Unfortunately that's kind of undermined when she simply pours her mind onto him, diminishing the sacrifice of immortality Damiel had made. Simply put, I felt the film fell under it's own need to continue with the established motif (long monologues as Damiel listens to the thoughts of the woman he loves) rather than confront Damiel's new found mortality as a human being.

That was my only gripe in an otherwise fantastic film.

[img]http://www.wim-wenders.com/movies/movies_spec/wingsofdesire/0.jpg[/img]

matty_b -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (14/11/2011 2:34:31 PM)

quote:

I was quite enjoying The Last Exorcism until the last five minutes ruined everything.

Interesting, I took the complete opposite view. [:D]

I thought everything until the end was fairly average, but then it at least did something a bit interesting and unpredicable which elevated it slightly.

Herr Schnitzel -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (14/11/2011 2:48:32 PM)

^ That

Buddy Ackerman -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (15/11/2011 2:21:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

Interesting, I took the complete opposite view. [:D]

I thought everything until the end was fairly average, but then it at least did something a bit interesting and unpredicable which elevated it slightly.

Completely agree. I was bored senseless by the rest of the film (not in a teenagery "nothing's happening, it's crap" way, I'm normally a huge fan of slow burn, unsettling horrors) but at least the ending surprised me. Not enough to save the film though.

Fizzsnap_X -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (15/11/2011 3:36:30 PM)

When i watched Eden Lake i had a fair idea how it would end, but i hoped i would be wrong.

TheDoctorsTardis -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (20/11/2011 2:09:56 PM)

Spoilers for 1969 Italian Job

I wish they'd got away with the gold, I HATE that bus tilting on the edge ending so much.

ogiekeaney -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (2/1/2012 1:32:34 AM)

kill list comes to mind although it probably has a more interesting than the one I wanted

mclane1 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (2/1/2012 5:24:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ogiekeaney

kill list comes to mind although it probably has a more interesting than the one I wanted

SPOILER!! im with you on kill list, bit of a cop out obvious ending once they got in the woods

also the one with the hoodies in the school think it was 'f'' empire gave it a real build up but then slated it a bit once out, ending was just dull when could have been a big ' aging alcoholic turns hard as shit' face off

then theres Attack the block which wasnt a big enough ending, all too quickly over

then theres any of the harry postter films including the last one, all of which were pants and the last one with its much talked about battle for middle earth mega battle was more like watching 'never ending story.!!

rich -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (3/1/2012 8:38:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazedmongoose

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

Its been a while since Ive seen it but I remember being underwhelmed by the ending of I Am Legend.

The ending in the novel is far bleaker and therefore better.

I think the big problem here is that they missed the entire point of the book. In the book the entire point is that the protagonist has become the monster and that the antagonists were instead the normal majority the protag preyed on.

All that changed to some message about self sacrifice and fat which....made less than no sense.

THIS. God the book ending is the entire fucking point of the whole story, and they missed it.

spark1 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (3/1/2012 11:42:48 AM)

'kick ass'- the comic ends in a brutal but realistic fashion.

spoilers

the film ends with jetpacks and rocket launchers. WTF?

and hit girl needing to be rescued? i don't think so.

Marwood -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (5/1/2012 11:22:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheDoctorsTardis

Spoilers for 1969 Italian Job

I wish they'd got away with the gold, I HATE that bus tilting on the edge ending so much.

Well the original written (but was it filmed?) ending showed Charlie's idea - leave the bus running to use up the fuel which would redistribute the weight of the vehicle allowing the gold to slide back and then (mostly) retrieved. Of course they'd still need to get some more vehicles to transport it away again but it would have been a happier ending. I may have imagined this but I think the last shot would have been the crew sitting at the side of the road with this heap of gold arguing about what to do next.

spark1 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (30/3/2012 10:26:09 AM)

guardian lists 5 worst movie endings-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/mar/29/five-great-films-with-terrible-endings

Whistler -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (30/3/2012 1:07:34 PM)

30 Days Of Night. I loved the film right up until that point. (highlight for spoilers) That point being Eben turning himself to fight the vampires about ten minutes before the sun came back. Honestly, he could've just waited it out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fizzsnap_X

When i watched Eden Lake i had a fair idea how it would end, but i hoped i would be wrong.

I feel you, so depressing [sm=sad06.gif]

Jasper_29 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (30/3/2012 1:26:33 PM)

Return of the King Spoiler

Twenty minutes of Coda is not the issue. Everyone who sat through 10 hours of Middle Eart over the course of three years can handle that. What I can't handle is endless close-ups of crying hobbits. Staring into each others eyes hobbits. Hobbits jumping on the bed and hugging each other.

Okay, so when everyone bowed down to these creatures and they were basically presented as the true heroes of the story, that wasn't the ending?

It is really all about killing off Frodo?

Okay then.  

Dirk Miggler -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (30/3/2012 11:06:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

guardian lists 5 worst movie endings-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/mar/29/five-great-films-with-terrible-endings

Here here on No country for old men, completely ruined the film for me !

matty_b -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (31/3/2012 9:28:32 AM)

The Birds? Really?

That's a great fucking ending.

impqueen -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (31/3/2012 10:44:22 AM)

No Country is a fantastic ending and I think works even better than in the book. (even though it's essentially the same) [8|]

The Birds too is brilliant as is Python.

AI was dissapoiting as a film anyway and I have no feelings about Superman.

will1000 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (31/3/2012 3:54:27 PM)

Not that there wasn't exactly anything wrong with the ending of Daybreakers (a good vampire film for those who haven't seen it), I felt it was rushed and could have benefited from being 10--20 minutes longer.

Spaldron -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (31/3/2012 4:39:19 PM)

The Superman ending is a good point and yes, it is quite silly but remember they had to come up with it at the last minute at the behest of the producers. The original ending was to feature Zod escaping from the Phantom Zone.

King of Kafiristan -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (31/3/2012 4:45:05 PM)

In MIAMI VICE I was convinced that Ciran Hinds FBI agent was the much talked about mole, and that Farrell and Foxx would have to return to deal with him before the movie was over. I'm still sort of convinced that was the case, something about his performance and the way he gave them the assignment. Anyway, I was very surprised when the movie ended before Hinds and the main head drug dealer were handled. Was it being saved for a sequel? Or did I just have unreasonable expectations?

matty_b -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (31/3/2012 4:52:58 PM)

No, I was surprised that the mole issue was never resolved.

Maybe they anticipated it being a bigger hit and left it for the sequel.

flying armbar -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (2/4/2012 5:13:08 PM)

true romance

spoiler

the full ending was made for clarence to die an when you see him on the beach with an eye patch????????????? doesnt quite fit for me

im sure i read in somewere in QT original scribt that he dies an alabama went off commiting crimes with mr white anyone know if thats true?

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (2/4/2012 5:35:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

30 Days Of Night. I loved the film right up until that point. (highlight for spoilers) That point being Eben turning himself to fight the vampires about ten minutes before the sun came back. Honestly, he could've just waited it out.

If I remember rightly, the reason he didn't wait was because his girlfriend was trapped under a car with a young child, oil was filling the street around them and half the town was on fire. If they stayed under the car they were likely to be blown up, and if they got out from under the car and tried to run, the vampires would've killed them. Josh's character needed to distract the vamps asap.

Wyvenetta -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (3/4/2012 10:00:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fizzsnap_X

completely agree. I think on reflection it was the right ending, but at the time of watching I was almost praying there would be a slight morsel of hope at the end. I don't think it would have been half as memorable or affecting though.

Wyvenetta -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (3/4/2012 10:07:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

quote:

Its been a while since Ive seen it but I remember being underwhelmed by the ending of I Am Legend.

I think the big problem here is that they missed the entire point of the book. In the book the entire point is that the protagonist has become the monster and that the antagonists were instead the normal majority the protag preyed on.

All that changed to some message about self sacrifice and fat which....made less than no sense.

THIS. God the book ending is the entire fucking point of the whole story, and they missed it.

Oh right. Haven't read the book but remember thinking on seeing the film that the ending was really unsatisfying and didn't seem to fit. Maybe the book is worth a read?

Lucky Day -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (3/4/2012 10:30:51 AM)

Hancock.

SPOILER.

It is shit.

FoximusPrime -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (3/4/2012 12:35:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

The Superman ending is a good point and yes, it is quite silly but remember they had to come up with it at the last minute at the behest of the producers. The original ending was to feature Zod escaping from the Phantom Zone.

It requires a great deal of planning to incorporate time travel into a story without it descending into an utter shambles, so in that respect Superman: The Movie's ending is a bit of an annoyance. I think it's saved by the fact it's nowhere near as poor as Lois' internal monologue earlier in the film.

The thing that always irritates me about the ending is actually the sheer number of people who make snide remarks about Superman reversing the Earth's rotation to travel through time. He does nothing of the sort!

jcthefirst -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (3/4/2012 12:59:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wyvenetta

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

quote:

Oh right. Haven't read the book but remember thinking on seeing the film that the ending was really unsatisfying and didn't seem to fit. Maybe the book is worth a read?

Definately.

Super Hans -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (3/4/2012 1:30:52 PM)

I wasn't happy with the way The Neverending Story ended.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI