RE: Not the ending you wanted (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

jackcarter -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (26/8/2011 8:23:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

Star Trek 2009

i felt the ending couldve done with more twists and nods to the (alternate) future. the whole coming back from the future was a bit of a McGuffin and when Kirk and Spock go over to the Narada and aboard Spock Primes ship they were basically going into the ‘Prime Universe’ and messing about with Next Generation/Prime stuff, - so i thought it wouldve been nice to have abit more resolution on the alternate universe/future (and especially Kirks as his upbringing got so screwed thanks to nero) and have it play more of a role in the conclusion.

e.g. When Kirk and Spock beamed over to the narada and Kirk went off looking for Pike. he comes to Neros computer consol and looks at the screen – on it is an image or footage of Shat Kirk (Wrath of Khan era in the red uniform) – the explanation being Nero has been checking up on his adversary/brushing up on starfleet history (like in the comic prequel ‘Countdown‘)– who Kirk is/what his thinking is like etc. (it would’ve vaguely tied in with Kirk saying earlier that Nero would know what they were up to as they were part of his history so lets be unpredictable )

NuKirk looks at it perplexed – theres something familiar about this guy but he cant stick around and check up on his alternate future as hes got to find Pike and get off the ship and its then he gets attacked by Ayel/Nero leading to the ‘I know your face….’ so itd have had that sense of wanting to look at hidden treasure/info but unable to due to the danger/time running out - as in the end of Raiders/Crystal Skull.

nothing big just a throwaway thing – abit like the Death Star cameo in Attack of the Clones. kirk would catch a fleeting glimpse of his alternate future before he gets his ass kicked (he was obviously curious as he asked Spock Prime in the ice cave).

It would’ve been a fun resolution to the whole 'will Shatner be in the movie' thing

also wouldve liked the Enterprise going through the black hole (cool 2001 Stargate like sequence) ending up in the 24th century and briefly sees the Enterprise E monitoring the event horizon (see last page of 'Countdown' and similar to 'Yesterdays Enterprise') or alternatively they could’ve had it be the alternate enterprise NCC 1701 but then is flung back into its own time/universe - like a tidel wave retracting...(to reinforce the idea that the alternate universe goes on and it isnt a new timeline overwriting it)……….

or if nero had figured out how to get back to his own time via the red matter after his earth destruction plan fails...kirk (on the narada now in the future) destroys the warp core and gets beamed out by Spock on the jelly fish. the Narada is destroyed and K&S head back into the blackhole to their own time before it closes..

as they leave they dont notice but we briefly see a ship that arrived to check out the disturbances... the Enterprise E

I know there was NO chance of that happening as they wanted this film to stand on it own but I felt it would’ve been cool to nod to whats come before at the end... even if it was just Kirk seeing a fleeting glimpse of the alternate future...

Two problems with your case,

1. Its been done before in 'Parallels' (TNG)

2. The vast majority of the audience (aside from the handful of hardcore Trekkies) wouldn't have a clue what was going on and would disconnect with the linear story.

1. i dont remember any such scenes in Parallels...i know at the end they encounter millions of differnt Enterprises from all universes

2. i doubt a brief image of 1980s Shatner on screen would have perplexed the general audience too much...theyd know it was Kirk.....the going through the blackhole and seeing the future Enterprise wouldve been abit much though i'll admit that

thetruth -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (27/8/2011 11:41:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

[:D]
quote:

Another one I thought of was Gone with the Wind. It should have ended with "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" instead of Scarlett's speech. That would have been a far better ending.

I remember thinking that myself when i watched it as a kid!
How to  improve a classic![:D]

I rather like Gone with the Wind (much to my suprise - I thought I'd loathe it). But seriously, ending it when he leaves her would have been such a ballsy ending  - also, it would have had the best eight last words ever in film. It's a fantastic line, but having Scarlett's cheesy speech follow it just doesn't work.

Completely agree and i´d say quite a lot of people have forgotten Scarlett´s waffle and think those actually are the last lines of the film!

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (29/8/2011 10:20:52 PM)

Wings of Desire - it's such a beautiful film, but Marion's monologue/speech for the last 10 or so minutes didn't work for me. If one of the angels had talked, or they had just shown it silent, it would have been more powerful, I think.

curve -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (4/9/2011 12:43:39 PM)

AI

Why didn't they just stop with the endlessly sending wishes to the Blue Fairy?

Why always answer every question?

thetruth -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (4/9/2011 1:47:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: curve

AI

Why didn't they just stop with the endlessly sending wishes to the Blue Fairy?

Why always answer every question?

Why didnt they stop when someone read the script???[:'(]

Darth Marenghi -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (5/9/2011 6:20:55 PM)

SPOILERS for Drag Me To Hell:

The boyfriend should have been the victim of the curse at the end.

MonsterCat -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (5/9/2011 6:28:27 PM)

I was quite enjoying The Last Exorcism until the last five minutes ruined everything.

A shame because everything before the climax was smart and scary.

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (5/9/2011 7:24:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

Completely agree with this. I really disliked the character so that ending would have been much better.

FoximusPrime -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (6/9/2011 2:05:46 PM)

quote:

quote:

Completely agree with this. I really disliked the character so that ending would have been much better.

I felt that ending was ripe for a sequel that sets up the boyfriend as an Ash-like everyman character in which, after seeing what happened, he sets off to somehow rescue his girlfriend from hell. Like taking a new approach to the Evil Dead, rather than "rebooting" it with the same storyline as the original.

hatebox -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (6/9/2011 6:10:02 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

[:D]
quote:

Another one I thought of was Gone with the Wind. It should have ended with "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" instead of Scarlett's speech. That would have been a far better ending.

I remember thinking that myself when i watched it as a kid!
How to  improve a classic![:D]

I rather like Gone with the Wind (much to my suprise - I thought I'd loathe it). But seriously, ending it when he leaves her would have been such a ballsy ending  - also, it would have had the best eight last words ever in film. It's a fantastic line, but having Scarlett's cheesy speech follow it just doesn't work.

Completely agree and i´d say quite a lot of people have forgotten Scarlett´s waffle and think those actually are the last lines of the film!

It's Scarlett's story, not Brett's, though. Her speech is actually ambiguous - on the one hand her fighting spirit hasn't been destroyed (good) but on the other she hasn't really learnt anything and is much the same (bad).

thetruth -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (6/9/2011 6:42:00 PM)

But it ruined those lines!
I found the Scarlett character somewhat tedious.

stef3 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (11/9/2011 11:09:53 PM)

Love the Lord of the Rings films and wouldn't change a thing about them but...I do feel that the last thirty mins of the third film could have done with a less is more approach and just been edited with someone with a fresh eye who was not close to the film production and could say what was necessary. But then again, when I watch the films, I don't want them to end either and I don't know how I would judge it if I was working on it.

thetruth -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (11/9/2011 11:49:42 PM)

Yeah i agree with this.As a huge fan i didnt want them to end(what a journey that was!)-but a lot of people less interested bash the ending relentlessly!

Spaldron -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (12/9/2011 1:45:45 AM)

quote:

Yeah i agree with this.As a huge fan i didnt want them to end(what a journey that was!)-but a lot of people less interested bash the ending relentlessly!

I think it was more to do with how the ending was edited together. All those fade/white outs and wipes accompanied with climactic music gave the constant impression that the film was about to end, only for it to carry on for another 10 minutes.

thetruth -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (12/9/2011 8:49:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

I think it was more to do with how the ending was edited together. All those fade/white outs and wipes accompanied with climactic music gave the constant impression that the film was about to end, only for it to carry on for another 10 minutes.

Twas a bit sloppy allright!Any one with a passing interest would have done better.Undermined all the brilliance we'd seen before.A bit.

threshold -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (16/9/2011 12:34:10 AM)

quote:

Well wasn't it implied that he did get the curse? (because he was still holding the button after the girl got dragged to hell?)

Bloke from Oz -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (16/9/2011 11:42:13 AM)

NEXT.

Thread's over - I win.

Discodez -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (16/9/2011 2:15:45 PM)

quote:

She's a stupid spoilt brat, never learns a single lesson throughout the whole (what feels like a) week and a half of screen time. It's a pity one of the blokes who unfathomably love her, didn't get the silly bitch pregnant, at least she might have died in childbirth then!

max314 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/9/2011 5:00:16 PM)

[image]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/656/jimgordonoldman233x300.jpg[/image]

It's not the ending we wanted, but the ending...we deserved.

thetruth -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/9/2011 6:08:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

She's a stupid spoilt brat, never learns a single lesson throughout the whole (what feels like a) week and a half of screen time. It's a pity one of the blokes who unfathomably love her, didn't get the silly bitch pregnant, at least she might have died in childbirth then!

Jeepers![&:]

Spaldron -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/9/2011 6:18:04 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

Jeepers![&:]

Agreed. [8|]

Darth Marenghi -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (24/9/2011 1:01:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: threshold

quote:

Well wasn't it implied that

No! It was not implied! [:D]

Bloke from Oz -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (11/11/2011 10:26:13 AM)

http://www.howitshouldhaveended.com/videos

These guys have the answers to your requests.

Rdog13 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (11/11/2011 11:23:45 PM)

Wall-E shouldn't have got his memory back.

Herr Schnitzel -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (12/11/2011 4:12:27 PM)

I love The Abyss until it goes off the rails with the endless and overwrought scene where May Elizabeth Mastrantonio gets revived. Then instead of continuing as a tense sci-fi thriller it becomes a preachy anti-war movie which is about as sophisticated as the Culture Club lyric "War is stupid and people are stupid". The shift from tense, dark, high tech sci-fi thriller, to Close Encounters style sense of wonder never worked for me. I still wished the aliens would have been evil.

Taizy -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (13/11/2011 5:54:03 PM)

quote:

I'm not a fan of the ending of The Town. The shoot out was brilliant, Jem's death was great, but the end was so drippy. Doug being seen by the river and the "I'll see you again"note was so schmaltzy - I'd have preferred a darker ending, or at least a more ambiguious one.

Agreed, it was completely out of keeping of the rest of the film, seeing as so much of it had been claustraphobically set in that neighbourhood a pan up from the blocks and just his voice would have been much better.  Great film until that moment though.

Coyleone -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (13/11/2011 11:13:50 PM)

Loved the ending of The Mist, great stuff. Can't believe people didn't like it to be honest.

This may be slightly unpopular, but the end of Goodfellas (while really well done) always seems a bit anti-climatic for me. I love the film by the way, not bashing it.

Darth Marenghi -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (14/11/2011 12:41:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

This may be slightly unpopular, but the end of Goodfellas (while really well done) always seems a bit anti-climatic for me. I love the film by the way, not bashing it.

That's what actually happened though. [:D]

Herr Schnitzel -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (14/11/2011 12:57:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Loved the ending of The Mist, great stuff. Can't believe people didn't like it to be honest.

I didn't mind what happened at the ending of The Mist, I just hated the way Darabont handled it as grand tragedy with a Dead Can Dance track wailing, so we get it. DCD singer Lisa Gerrard's voice at that point had been drafted in way to often as an emotive short hand for tragedy in movie soundtracks. Darabont should have played the end for a nasty black joke, but then I found the "very special message" of the entire film rather heavy handed, so I'm not surprised the ending was as well.

crazedmongoose -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (14/11/2011 5:10:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

Its been a while since Ive seen it but I remember being underwhelmed by the ending of I Am Legend.

The ending in the novel is far bleaker and therefore better.

I think the big problem here is that they missed the entire point of the book. In the book the entire point is that the protagonist has become the monster and that the antagonists were instead the normal majority the protag preyed on.

All that changed to some message about self sacrifice and fat which....made less than no sense.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
6.445313E-02