RE: Not the ending you wanted (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Saltire -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (21/7/2011 12:23:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Must disagree. I thought the Dent story mirrored the situation perfectly. The hope of the city gradually corrupted, then destroyed, and the public support of batman, same progression. All themes and incidents encapsulated perfectly, in the hopeful introduction, then corruption and destruction of Harvey Dent, the whole corruption and destruction of everything down to the actions (and consequences of the actions) of the Joker.

The character journeys of both Batman and Harvey tie in with the line 'You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain'. The structure and ending carried this sentiment through, and any ending but the one we got would have left this undone.

Not the ending some wanted, but definitely the ending the film needed, if the film had to end with Batman on the run with the ending flowing from what was happening in the story rather than some additional plot shenanigans in a film some claimed either had no discernible plot at all and was incmprehensible, or too much plot.

Yeah the ending of that was superb imo; really emotive and different I felt.

mclane1 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (22/7/2011 7:02:33 PM)

spoiler alert- the mist

oh why oh why (besides it being a book!) great film , great cast, the most depressing ending ever, albeit a brave one, or stupid one in finacial terms as its not a film many people will watch more than once.

Biggus -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (22/7/2011 7:12:39 PM)

******* SPOILERS****** for The Killer Inside Me

I felt the lead character never really got the comeuppance he should have and even ended up dying pretty much on his own terms.

paul_lfc -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (22/7/2011 8:21:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauljthomas ##Spoiler warnings## Law Abiding Citizen really bugged me at the end because all along I was rooting for Butler. His character had been wronged & we wanted revenge on the wrongdoers & the law that let him down. Foxx's character was a charmless, arrogant & ignorant one that I was hoping would get his come-uppance, however he didn't. Would have much prefered Butler to have escaped, never to be heard of again despite his own lawbreakin galong the way-that would have been more satisfying.
Butler got his revenge and then some on his wrongdoers and the law, presumably you wanted him to blow up another load of people with his bomb in that room and escape? odd ending

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (22/7/2011 9:47:41 PM)

Eden Lake. God!!!!!!

dark crystal -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 2:50:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauljthomas

##Spoiler warnings##

Law Abiding Citizen really bugged me at the end because all along I was rooting for Butler. His character had been wronged & we wanted revenge on the wrongdoers & the law that let him down. Foxx's character was a charmless, arrogant & ignorant one that I was hoping would get his come-uppance, however he didn't. Would have much prefered Butler to have escaped, never to be heard of again despite his own lawbreakin galong the way-that would have been more satisfying.

Would also add the endings to The Lovely Bones-would have changed the cop-out death of the villain & that the girl could have had a proper burial (which I know can't really happed 'cos of the book) & Funny Games-the family survived.

Oh I agree with you 100%. Foxx's character was begging for a comeuppance but stayed the same smug, blinkered idiot the whole way through. was also hoping Butler's character would escape somehow.

**SPOILER** Funny Games US:

In the remake, the family didnt survive. I think that's why I liked it so much.

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 6:37:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Eden Lake. God!!!!!!

This. God, that's one of the most depressing endings to a film that I've ever seen.

ecastlinhutch -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 7:23:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

Eden Lake. God!!!!!!

This. God, that's one of the most depressing endings to a film that I've ever seen.

The depressing ending really spoils what could have been a great film.

vader100 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 6:05:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

SPOILERS Star Wars - ROTJ (do we really need a spoiler for this???)

Luke should'v turned to the dark side, then Vader redeems himself and turns Luke back. Han should'v died.

LOTR - ROTK

The battle of Pelennor should'v gone to Sauron. I know it strays from the book but it makes more sense cinematically.

If they lose Pelennor then they lose Minas Tirith. Lose Minas Tirith they lose the war.

horribleives -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 6:33:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecastlinhutch

quote:

quote:

Eden Lake. God!!!!!!

I'm surprised people have mentioned the ending to this (and The Mist). Surely a happy ending where everyone survived would've ruined these films more? Dunno about anyone else but I want my horrors to have grim, depressing climaxes.

matty_b -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 6:52:06 PM)

Yeah, I wouldn't change the ending of The Mist for anything.

Hex -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 7:07:56 PM)

Its been a while since Ive seen it but I remember being underwhelmed by the ending of I Am Legend.

The ending in the novel is far bleaker and therefore better.

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 7:18:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecastlinhutch

quote:

quote:

Eden Lake. God!!!!!!

I'm surprised people have mentioned the ending to this (and The Mist). Surely a happy ending where everyone survived would've ruined these films more? Dunno about anyone else but I want my horrors to have grim, depressing climaxes.

Actually, I love the ending to The Mist. Depressing it may be, but it certainly packs a punch. I guess the same should be said of Eden Lake, but for some reason I would have rather that poor woman got away after everything she'd been through.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

Its been a while since Ive seen it but I remember being underwhelmed by the ending of I Am Legend.

The ending in the novel is far bleaker and therefore better.

That depends which ending you saw, there were two of them.

Hex -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 7:23:56 PM)

Well either ending I guess since there is the suggestion of cure in both isnt there?

In the book, the infected "win" and Neville opts out because he feels like he is obsolete in the new scheme of things.

The tagged on "hope" in the films ending(s) annoyed me slightly.

kumar -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 7:38:57 PM)

Iron Man 2.

Though i have seen it a second time and not been as bothered about it, I would have much preferred to see Iron Man, War Machine vs Whiplash in a much bigger fight. The build up was great with the drones but then Rourke shows up and then all is ended quicker than he arrived.

Amelie_Scotland -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 8:25:54 PM)

The ending to the movie adaptation of I Am Legend is the one I had the biggest problems with. Completely changing the ending makes the freaking title obselete!

One of my all time favourite films, Parenthood, has the most sickeningly saccharine happy endings ever. It's too cheesy, it's Ron Howard at his most overtly sentimental and I can never sit through the final 5 minutes of that film because it just makes me cringe so much. It also feels so tacked on to the rest of the film, which for the most part avoids the cheap emotional ploys and plays the family dramedy in a much more believable manner.

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 8:37:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

Well either ending I guess since there is the suggestion of cure in both isnt there?

In the book, the infected "win" and Neville opts out because he feels like he is obsolete in the new scheme of things.

The tagged on "hope" in the films ending(s) annoyed me slightly.

That's true, there is.

But then, the film is SO different from the book, that the different ending hardly makes much difference, IMO.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

The ending to the movie adaptation of I Am Legend is the one I had the biggest problems with. Completely changing the ending makes the freaking title obselete!

Well, in the ending where Neville died and the woman took the cure to the colony, the cure is supposed to be his "legend", but it does change the entire idea of the title from how it is in the book.

rich -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (23/7/2011 9:20:07 PM)

I Am Legend fucked up the entire story though, so the lame ending was just another part of that.

fairy -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (25/7/2011 4:49:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Iron Man 2.

Though i have seen it a second time and not been as bothered about it, I would have much preferred to see Iron Man, War Machine vs Whiplash in a much bigger fight. The build up was great with the drones but then Rourke shows up and then all is ended quicker than he arrived.

AGREED. I in fact needed to see it three times only wanted to get the feeling but still didn't get it.

grucl -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (29/7/2011 7:14:18 AM)

The Game should have ended with Michael Douglas dying from the fall. That would have been a bleak ending worthy of David Fincher.

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (1/8/2011 5:02:34 PM)

I'm not a fan of the ending of The Town. The shoot out was brilliant, Jem's death was great, but the end was so drippy. Doug being seen by the river and the "I'll see you again"note was so schmaltzy - I'd have preferred a darker ending, or at least a more ambiguious one.

darth silas -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (1/8/2011 7:33:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

The Game should have ended with Michael Douglas dying from the fall. That would have been a bleak ending worthy of David Fincher.

This.

Tech_Noir -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (1/8/2011 7:46:10 PM)

Starship Troopers

SPOILERS

Carmen should have got her brains sucked out and Dizzy should have lived dammit.

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (1/8/2011 11:00:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Starship Troopers

SPOILERS

Carmen should have got her brains sucked out and Dizzy should have lived dammit.

YES!

God I can't stand Carmen. Dizzy was CLEARLY the better of the two.

Jasper_29 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (2/8/2011 10:08:59 AM)

Pulp Fiction

(A spoiler for Pulp Fiction)

A few scenes back Vincent Vega is gunned down with an automatic weapon of some kind by Butch, and in the last scene he happily walks out of the lunchroom with Jules. He survived all them bullets, eh? Big mistake by Tarantino.

Bloke from Oz -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (2/8/2011 10:26:01 AM)

^Pulp Fiction followed a non-linear narrative; note the different "parts" that were out of order throughout the film. IMO the film worked just fine.

jcthefirst -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (2/8/2011 10:46:37 AM)

I think he was joking.

I hope he was joking.

JIm R -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (2/8/2011 11:39:51 AM)

Before everyone jumps one me, I loved the end of TDK, with Gordon's v/o but I would have like to have seen the Joker placed in a cell at Arkham as 'his end' but given how events transpired, having HL 'dangle' saying that they will be doing this forever is a very emotive ending for the character.

Tech_Noir -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (2/8/2011 11:45:25 AM)

Considering Heath's death that final scene always makes me sad, "destined to do this forever" alas they never will. [:(]

hellsangel66 -> RE: Not the ending you wanted (5/8/2011 3:52:45 PM)

SPOILER

The end of Oceans Eleven has always bugged me. The film should have ended at the fountain and not have the coda tagged on. You already know it's a happy ending and you know there's going to be trouble further on, you don't need it.

Spoils the end of the film for me completely.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.734375E-02