Hobo With A Shotgun (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Hobo With A Shotgun (11/7/2011 3:12:39 PM)

Post your comments on this article

sephiroth7 -> (11/7/2011 3:12:39 PM)

Best thing about this movie is the title. Everything else is a crushing disappointment.

Gerard Lough -> (8/8/2011 9:20:45 PM)

Bloody awful. Hauer deserves better.

Edward9630 -> Hobo With A Shotgun: Review (17/8/2011 12:54:29 AM)

Hobo With a Shotgun is a good film. The hobo was a badass in the film, the gore was very good and the actors did a good performance for their character. The problems with the film is the story isn't that great and I have seen better films in this genre then this one. People into gore and sex would enjoy this but for rest they have to see for themselves. I would recommend to go see this.

HERMES_67 -> hobo (18/8/2011 10:36:25 PM)

only managed to watch the first 30 mins of this travesty. probably the worst film ever made. tribe of chimps with a polaroid could have done better. avoid like the plague. ive only rated 1 star because thasts the least possible......

The REAL Bozz -> RE: hobo (24/8/2011 4:37:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HERMES_67

only managed to watch the first 30 mins of this travesty. probably the worst film ever made. tribe of chimps with a polaroid could have done better. avoid like the plague. ive only rated 1 star because thasts the least possible......

It's based on the grindhouse movement. What did you expect. As such I thought the film was great. Did everything it said on the tin.

HERMES_67 -> hobo (14/1/2012 9:43:34 PM)

words fail me when describing how bad this film actually is. it may be put to good use as compulsary viewing as part of community service. i reckon your brain may either shut down or give up if forced to watch to the end... good luck...

Vitamin F -> RE: hobo (7/3/2012 1:19:34 PM)

************* BITS OF SPOILERY STUFF AHOY ***************

Well, where to start with this one...

The first half of this is everything I detest about certain films - shocking for shocks' sake. That's big and clever, isn't it?

The major failing with schlock like this is that there is absolutely no tension or suspense generated, because as soon as the scene is set for something potentially nasty you just know that you're going to see exactly that, whether it be a simple beheading or something involving a bus load of kids and a flamethrower (a particularly nasty little bit of this crap). There's not going to be a last minute reprieve, unless it's the perpetrator getting his head graphically blown off - win/win situation, see? Because you're watching Hobo With a Shotgun, and that's what's expected.

I love violent films, always have. The more violent the better (so long as the story requires it). I'm a child of the video nasties era (the proper late 70s early 80s period), and there was nothing better than getting to see something you shouldn't on a dodgy tape one of your mates got hold of. But this is not a video nasty from days gone by. It's fake. A homage, or at least someone's idea of homage. So really the only thing this has going for it is as an exercise in self-indulgence, and trying to get away with as much shit as can be passed under the "but it's meant to be stupid and over the top because it's, like, referencing those old films" banner. Lazy, lazy, lazy film making. Seriously, what was the point beyond that?

At least the second half was just silly and didn't take itself so seriously, and in fact once it had loosened up with the introduction of The Plague it became much easier to watch as the homage of excess and cheese it was intended to be. The hospital assault was actually very well executed!

Final words - Rutger...the man plays this so straight and seriously that he is totally detached from the entire film on every level! His performance is fantastic. But it's too good a performance for what it's a part of! If it could be cut'n'paste into a worthy film about vigilanteism it would be regraded as one of the Hauer's best, he really does give it his all...and for what?

Just reading back over this, I'm amazed that Hobo provoked such a reaction in me, but I guess it's a sign of getting older and more fussy about what one watches, and the state of what is actually worth putting on the screen. Hobo was a good idea for a SPOOF trailer, shame someone missed the joke and seriousy thought it was a good idea for an actual film. Anything for a few more $...

gunstar -> RE: hobo (7/3/2012 1:31:12 PM)

Excellent grindhouse homage with some surprisingly poigniant moments and an interesting sub-text about the nature of violence and its effect on society. The central performances are solid / over-the-top as required and it looks extremely good for the low-budget.

Also, it has one of the best end credit songs, ever.

One of the best films I've seen for a long time.

Vitamin F -> RE: hobo (7/3/2012 1:34:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

Excellent grindhouse homage with some surprisingly poigniant moments and an interesting sub-text about the nature of violence and its effect on society. The central performances are solid / over-the-top as required and it looks extremely good for the low-budget.

I just don't know what to say to this...[&:]

gunstar -> RE: hobo (7/3/2012 1:36:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

quote:

I just don't know what to say to this...[&:]

I don't quite understand?

Vitamin F -> RE: hobo (7/3/2012 1:53:59 PM)

I watched a piece of shit. You watched one of the best films you've seen in a long time.

I also don't quite understand! [:D]
The eternal wonder of different tastes, eh?

Out of curiousity, can you explain what was the interesting sub-text you mention?

gunstar -> RE: hobo (7/3/2012 2:16:07 PM)

quote:

I watched a piece of shit. You watched one of the best films you've seen in a long time.

Out of curiousity, can you explain what was the interesting sub-text you mention?

WIthin the film violence is simultaeneously used as spectacle, and a tool of oppression. The wider suggestion is that by viewing the film itself the audience is placing itself firmly within that contradiction. This is further re-inforced in the references within the film with the taping of scenes of violence for entertainment, which may seem repugnant to the viewer, yet is exactly what the viewer is doing when we celebrate the Hobo's righteous revenge. Violence is the root of the society of the film's problems, but it is also one of the main forms of entertainment that they have. Much like society in general.

There is also the obvious fact that when faced bwtween the choice, the Hobo opts for the shotgun, a fairly obvious symbol of violence, over the lawn-mower - a symbol of escape and possible happy domesticity. (However this is turned on its head in the final scenes.)

There's a lot going on in this film. Some intentional, some not. But to disregard it as a piece of shit is to forget films like Project X and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence. Films with about 100 times the budget with absolutley nothing going on between the ears.

But, as you've said, it's all a matter of opinion.

Vitamin F -> RE: hobo (7/3/2012 3:23:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

WIthin the film violence is simultaeneously used as spectacle, and a tool of oppression. The wider suggestion is that by viewing the film itself the audience is placing itself firmly within that contradiction. This is further re-inforced in the references within the film with the taping of scenes of violence for entertainment, which may seem repugnant to the viewer, yet is exactly what the viewer is doing when we celebrate the Hobo's righteous revenge. Violence is the root of the society of the film's problems, but it is also one of the main forms of entertainment that they have. Much like society in general.

There is also the obvious fact that when faced bwtween the choice, the Hobo opts for the shotgun, a fairly obvious symbol of violence, over the lawn-mower - a symbol of escape and possible happy domesticity. (However this is turned on its head in the final scenes.)

There's a lot going on in this film. Some intentional, some not. But to disregard it as a piece of shit is to forget films like Project X and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence. Films with about 100 times the budget with absolutley nothing going on between the ears.

But, as you've said, it's all a matter of opinion.

I don't know, I think you may be getting more out of this than the makers put in, and nothing wrong with that. But e.g. when I watched the taping scene I saw a film maker seeing a window of opportunity to include some 'bum-fighting' because that's what is associated with hobos in this video age, nothing more. Nice sub-cultural reference and a chance for another shocker scene to repulse the audience. I just don't think they thought as much about a subtext as you or other fans may have - I'm a right cynic, btw!
But I didn't listen to the commentarys or do any more research on Hobo beyond watching it, so maybe they are geniuses after all...

I have no intention of watching Project X or Ghost Rider either because I just know there's no point at all. I won't criticise them without having seen them, but I'm confident enough to place them in my "NO!" basket, along with Hobo - maybe for different reasons, but gory rubbish and expensive rubbish is still all just rubbish.

gunstar -> RE: hobo (7/3/2012 4:11:38 PM)

I find it surprising that people don't see the sub-text, it's fairly consistant throughout. I also enjoyed the film's irony and humour.

I don't think you're giving it enough credit by dismissing it on face value, but that's the beauty of discussion and different opinion.

Still one of the best films I've seen in a long time, but then again, I don't half watch some shit.

Vitamin F -> RE: hobo (7/3/2012 4:23:18 PM)

quote:

I find it surprising that people don't see the sub-text, it's fairly consistant throughout. I also enjoyed the film's irony and humour.

I don't think you're giving it enough credit by dismissing it on face value, but that's the beauty of discussion and different opinion.

Still one of the best films I've seen in a long time, but then again, I don't half watch some shit.

[:D] must.........resist......urge......to agree................on this occasion...........cos my taste is far from cultured at times!
I'll end on a postive (since a lot of my opinions have been quite negative recently, tut tut) and reiterate how brilliant Rutger is - it was him alone that kept me watching to the end credits (and yes, nice end credit tune). He really got into the role, delivered some fantastic lines, and cut a fine example of a hobo to boot (not literally, unless we're filming it on our phones).

gunstar -> RE: hobo (7/3/2012 5:41:01 PM)

quote:

and cut a fine example of a hobo to boot (not literally, unless we're filming it on our phones).

[:D]

Snake-Eyes -> HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN (7/3/2012 8:32:35 PM)

Snake-Eyes' Personal Favourite Film of 2011 - a year that was overall, cram-packed with uber-shite films.

I personally enjoyed this better than the GRINDHOUSE-feature that 'spawned' it and also the disappointing MACHETE. Rutger Hauer still has a strange yet unmatched charsima and presence that was perfect for this zany, almost live-action cartoon adventure! Crazy, over-the-top characters and ridiculously violent scenes with bright, pastel colours brought it all to life.

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN RULES! 5/5

Cool Breeze -> RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN (7/3/2012 9:33:07 PM)

Quite possible the worst film iv ever had the misfortune of seeing.Just a load of pointless gore,violence,and sick jokes(hey! joking about raping women is funny! burning schoolkids alive is funny!) with no point or story whatsoever.

Avoid at all costs.I wish i could give this zero stars but i cant so im going to have to settle for 1/5.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN (7/3/2012 9:44:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Quite possible the worst film iv ever had the misfortune of seeing.Just a load of pointless gore,violence,and sick jokes(hey! joking about raping women is funny! burning schoolkids alive is funny!) with no point or story whatsoever.

Avoid at all costs.I wish i could give this zero stars but i cant so im going to have to settle for 1/5.

What does 'iv' mean...?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI