Super (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Super (11/7/2011 2:31:19 PM)

Post your comments on this article

boove -> where is it? (11/7/2011 2:31:19 PM)

Empire mag and imdb both say this film was released on 8th July. As far as I can see it has not played at any cinemas near me. Did I miss something...?

film man aidy -> RE: where is it? (11/7/2011 8:53:22 PM)

Don't worry about seeing it at the cinema. In what seems to be the shortest cinema to dvd window of all time, amazon lists this as coming out to buy on August 1st! The same applies to Hobo With a Shotgun, which is released on the same cinema and dvd dates.

fitnessfactor21 -> RE: where is it? (11/7/2011 9:25:18 PM)

I also found that odd. Isn't there usually time between the release in the movies and the DVD??

jmebaby25 -> RE: where is it? (14/7/2011 8:58:26 AM)

Stupidly, it only seems to be playing on about 9 cinemas nationwide

MartyW -> RE: where is it? (1/8/2011 9:52:05 PM)

Went into HMV today and to my suprise found both hobo with a shotgun and super on dvd in the new dvd sales section part. I too am flabbergasted as to how how quickly these films got released to buy after just a few weeks after coming out at the cinema (unfortunately not my local one which is bloody typical really)

guysalisbury -> What to say.........?! (4/8/2011 9:04:15 AM)

I suppose this was always going to get compared to Kick-ass and I guess that's what I was expecting. Boy was I wrong. This started slowly with not that many laughs but the middle was brilliant, real laugh out loud stuff. Then it just got a bit fucked up. I never thought id be saying 'not one for the squeamish' but there are some pretty sick bits in this. I guess the best comparison would be a cross between Juno, Kick-ass and A History of Violence. I did enjoy this but cant really think of anyone that I would recommend it to. Rainn Wilson, in my opinion isn't quite ready for a part that big. Page is brilliant as always. Be interested to hear what other people think.

lewisb548 -> Disturbing,Dark,ultra-violent, not for the squeamish, but an awesome film. (4/8/2011 6:58:33 PM)

This film will no doubt be compared to Kick-Ass, despite the story being completely different, this was realesed a few weeks after the cinema release, so was Hobo with a shotgun, maybe DVDS are coming out quicker now? I'll try not to get my hopes up. I bought this yesterday to my mothers dismay, she seemed disaproving of me buying this due to the in-famous 18 rating, after watching this, I don't really blame her for being disaproving, this was a pretty disturbing film.
James Gunns script must have came from the darkest recesses of his mind, the storys kind of simple, Rainn Wilson or the "creepy guy from the office." is Frank a hot tempered overly loving husband of Liv Tyler who leaves him for hot head drug lord Kevin Bacon who despite being the villain of the film is hillarious whenever he's in a scene. Frank during an unneccesary tentacle finger brain scene is touched by the finger of god and he becomes the crimson bolt a crime fighter, who beats his criminal victims to a pulp with a monkey wrench, the shocking thing is how much us the viewers come to dislike Frank as a character, because he shoots a fairly innocent man, nearly chops a mans head in half cause he skipped in a queue and tries to kill Bacon even after he produces a very deep spiritual ultimatum about Franks new found anger. Now Ellen Page deserves some mention as the physcotic crazy-ish Libby who becomes Franks side kick, Boltie to his Crimson Bolt, and Robin to his Batman. There are a few un-necessary scenes and some disturbing violence and a shocking few death scenes near the end, literally made my heart stop.
I recommend this to those who dont mind disturbing films or gore and comedy combined. But I wouldn't exactly watch this with my family, I'll maybe just save this for my friend John. Verdict: Truly disturbing,dark and twisted, yet human, with depth and comedy and as violent as it is brilliant. Very.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Disturbing,Dark,ultra-violent, not for the squeamish, but an awesome film. (6/8/2011 2:49:39 AM)

It was OK, not great, no where near as good as Kick-ass.  I hated the religious stuff, it wasn’t necessary, what’s with the visions? Did he have mental health problems? And I could have done without the Nathan Fillion parts (a shame as he’s normally great.) Super shows us what would really happen if a nut job became a superhero.  I say nut-job because I can’t feel sorry for someone who hits two people with a wrench, just for cutting in line.  The victims knew it was him so why wasn’t he arrested? Hu? Makes no sense.  Thank God for Ellen Page, the only saving grace of the film.  She’s great in the limited amount of screen time she has.  No film with Page dressed as a superhero spouting lines like, “I’m gonna cum” while rapeing her side kick? can be all bad… trust me, it’s funnier then it sounds.  Still over all, MEH.  Comparison. Kick-ass 5 stars.  Super 2 stars.

Big Braveheart -> Great film! (8/8/2011 9:02:27 PM)

If you liked Kick-Ass then you should love this but it is incredibly darker, more violent and quite touching but that's not to say it's not hilarious and short of sincere messages. Rainn Wilson was excellent and had great support from Ellen Page and Kevin Bacon as a real sleazeball. Add talent like Liv Tyler, Nathan Fillion, Michael Rooker and Gregg Henry to the mix along with a terrific script, great direction and a rousing and heartfelt score and you have a tremendous wee film!!! What a finale this film has! Shut up, Crime!!!!

discodave101 -> Its no Kick Ass (15/8/2011 10:50:19 AM)

Obvious comparisons will be drawn with Kick Ass due to the plot; ordinary guy with no powers decides to become superhero to right the worlds wrongs.

For me, it doesn't even compare. Rainn Wilson could play this role in his sleep, given that its basically exactly the same character he's played in most of his other roles (particularly six feet under). There's some comedy in there, and its only the enjoyment provided by Ellen Page as 'Boltie' that the film ever soars above average. I didn't like the tone mix of comedy and real world violence/consequences. That's one thing that was superbly done in Kick Ass, but not here.

Felt really let down by this. Expected something better from Gunn. I've liked his other works in the past, such as Slither.

So - its ok, not great. I feel let-down.

notthemessiah -> RE: Super (21/8/2011 4:39:35 PM)

Watched this on dvd last night. My first comment is to say it's not a patch on Kick Ass.
I simply had no empathy towards Frank/Crimson Bolt and found the whole thing humourless. Yes Ellen Page lifts the film but the scene where Boltie makes Frank wear the Crimson Bolt mask was ridiculous and unnecessary in my opinion.
The finale was good and the lean running time deserves credit but overall it was just ok.

BeerMoth -> Surprised! (24/8/2011 11:26:21 PM)

A different beast to Kick-Ass. More realistic take on the 'normal' person deciding to be a super hero. Whereas in Kick Ass, the lead was a thoroughly likeable character, Rainn Wilson is something altogether darker. The violence also is quite sickening in places - and I have to say there is one bit that genuinely shocked me. Great ending. No where near as polished as Kick-Ass but just as good.

Schadenfreude -> RE: Surprised! (27/8/2011 9:40:32 AM)

The four star review raised my expectations which the film didn't live up to. Some quite bizarre sequences and all of the cast were playing roles which they could have done in their sleep.

The bargain bins beckon.

Piles -> RE: Disturbing,Dark,ultra-violent, not for the squeamish, but an awesome film. (1/9/2011 1:26:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

It was OK, not great, no where near as good as Kick-ass.  I hated the religious stuff, it wasn't necessary, what's with the visions? Did he have mental health problems? And I could have done without the Nathan Fillion parts (a shame as he's normally great.) Super shows us what would really happen if a nut job became a superhero.  I say nut-job because I can't feel sorry for someone who hits two people with a wrench, just for cutting in line.  The victims knew it was him so why wasn't he arrested? Hu? Makes no sense.  Thank God for Ellen Page, the only saving grace of the film.  She's great in the limited amount of screen time she has.  No film with Page dressed as a superhero spouting lines like, "I'm gonna cum” while rapeing her side kick? can be all bad… trust me, it's funnier then it sounds.  Still over all, MEH.  Comparison. Kick-ass 5 stars.  Super 2 stars.

lol you totally missed the point of most of this didn't you?

Deviation -> RE: Disturbing,Dark,ultra-violent, not for the squeamish, but an awesome film. (1/9/2011 10:59:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

It was OK, not great, no where near as good as Kick-ass.  I hated the religious stuff, it wasn't necessary, what's with the visions? Did he have mental health problems? And I could have done without the Nathan Fillion parts (a shame as he's normally great.) Super shows us what would really happen if a nut job became a superhero.  I say nut-job because I can't feel sorry for someone who hits two people with a wrench, just for cutting in line.  The victims knew it was him so why wasn't he arrested? Hu? Makes no sense.  Thank God for Ellen Page, the only saving grace of the film.  She's great in the limited amount of screen time she has.  No film with Page dressed as a superhero spouting lines like, "I'm gonna cum” while rapeing her side kick? can be all bad… trust me, it's funnier then it sounds.  Still over all, MEH.  Comparison. Kick-ass 5 stars.  Super 2 stars.

Surely it is the italic bits where he missed the point spectacularly? It's like not getting that Hannibal Lector was meant to be insane.

Piles -> RE: Disturbing,Dark,ultra-violent, not for the squeamish, but an awesome film. (1/9/2011 12:21:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

Surely it is the italic bits where he missed the point spectacularly? It's like not getting that Hannibal Lector was meant to be insane.

Yeah, that's the bit that I was commenting on too. I almost complained about that part of the film being too obvious in what it was trying to say.

kumar -> RE: Disturbing,Dark,ultra-violent, not for the squeamish, but an awesome film. (1/9/2011 12:58:04 PM)

I thought this film was OK, it was better than Kick Ass and I got a lot more laughs from it. It does get a bit stupid sometimes but I never found it less than watchable. Rain Wilson was decent and Ellen Page was hilariously wild throughout. Biggest complaint? Needed more Bacon.

kargon -> RE: Disturbing,Dark,ultra-violent, not for the squeamish, but an awesome film. (18/9/2011 12:05:36 PM)

Forking brilliant film, sod the newest release from Steve Carrel or Will Ferrel, this is comedy

hampstead bandit -> RE: Disturbing,Dark,ultra-violent, not for the squeamish, but an awesome film. (19/9/2011 7:12:06 PM)

read the review in Empire raving how good this film was...rushed out to rent it as soon as it was released

sat there a bit confused about the praise from Empire?

thought it was very sick in places, very weird / disturbing in others, quite boring in other bits and overall flat and quite "Meh!" as others have commented

maybe I saw a different film to Empire??

2/5 from me...

kargon -> RE: Disturbing,Dark,ultra-violent, not for the squeamish, but an awesome film. (20/9/2011 9:06:54 AM)

If you didnt like that i know a comedy show you might like, its on Sky and it's called This is Jinsy, and it's the biggest pile of bollocks i've seen in a long time , perhaps ever

Timon -> RE: Disturbing,Dark,ultra-violent, not for the squeamish, but an awesome film. (23/1/2012 10:06:40 AM)

And I thought Kick-Ass was fucked up...

This is only for those with a very dark sense of humor and like their comedies inter-spliced with a) horrific violence and b) moments of surprising tenderness.

Some people might find the shift in tone jarring, but I found parts of Super incredibly funny and very emotional.

Recommended.

Super Hans -> RE: Super (23/1/2012 6:59:56 PM)

Finally recieved this from Lovefilm today, aster having it as the sole high priority title on my list since it was released on DVD.  Looking forward to watching it.

DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT -> RE: Super (23/1/2012 7:15:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

Finally recieved this from Lovefilm today, aster having it as the sole high priority title on my list since it was released on DVD.  Looking forward to watching it.

Review would be ace[:D] seeing as I couldnt get into Kick Ass,for some reason or another.

dannyfletch -> RE: Super (23/1/2012 10:07:37 PM)

Super is an excellent film. I'm so sick of hearing these dumb ass comparisons with this and Kick Ass, they are completely different. Super is a more adult take on the superhero vigilante which is aimed at people who appreciate good independant, bold and different films. Kick Ass, a good film don't get me wrong, is aimed at the more simple minded folk and teenagers!

Super Hans -> RE: Super (23/1/2012 11:23:32 PM)

Just finished watching it.  I really enjoyed it - it was dark, funny and pretty nasty in places.  Easy comparisson to make but it's almost like a considerably darker, indie Kick-Ass.  Not quite though, as Frank's story at the hear of it is far more serious, grown up,oddly touching in places and with a fair amount of surprises along the way.

A very good fun film - I don't think this got much of a chance at the cinemas but I hope it finds it's audience on DVD!  [sm=happy34.gif]

MonsterCat -> RE: Super (24/1/2012 11:51:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Kick Ass, a good film don't get me wrong, is aimed at the more simple minded folk and teenagers!

Oh wow more snobbery. Brilliant!

jcthefirst -> RE: Super (28/1/2012 2:01:17 PM)

For the type of movie it is, I certinaly didn't expect to be so emotionally engaged in the last 20 minutes.

I could have cried at the ending.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI