John Carter (2012) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films

Empire Admin -> John Carter (2012) (6/7/2011 8:33:42 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Timon -> RE: John Carter (4/11/2011 4:08:39 PM)

I am very surprised that considering the level of talent involved in the film and the source material, this film isn't generating more discussion. The trailer was cool, the story has epic scope and it's Andrew Stanton doing live action!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: John Carter (4/11/2011 4:12:21 PM)

I honestly don't know what to make of that trailer. It certainly hasn't interested me. Mars looks so flat and uninteresting. Oh. Monument Valley, haven't seen that before!

It comes off as Prince of Persia 2: The Sands of Mars or something. Maybe a longer trailer will help, but at the moment, it all looks so uninspired.

Timon -> RE: John Carter (14/11/2011 12:20:37 PM)

I like that it's real-world locations though. I think it'll look much better than if it was simply a CGI Mars which we've seen hundreds of times before.

I want it to look like an actual planet and place, not a green screen set.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2011/nov/14/disney-john-carter-adaptation-film?newsfeed=true

Rgirvan44 -> RE: John Carter (14/11/2011 12:44:29 PM)

The problem with that is we have seen Mars for real. It holds no great secrets visually. I look at the test animation done in the 1930s and they had these great looking skies, coloured like the inside of your eye when you close your eyelid. They needed to bring something like that to the table - make it more fantastical. At the moment it looks like Prince of Cowboys and Aliens. 

Timon -> RE: John Carter (14/11/2011 1:29:12 PM)

It's a double edged sword, You go more fantastical, people will say it doesn't look like Mars and it'll amplify the ridiculous "oh it's a rip off of Avatar" comments.

I think Stanton knows what he's doing. At least, I hope he does.

princessa -> RE: John Carter (10/12/2011 8:43:01 PM)

I've seen the trailer.  It looks ok i'm mainly interested in it because of James Purefoy.

Vadersville -> RE: John Carter (27/1/2012 9:44:12 AM)

Saw the trailer for this last night (oddly enough, in front of Underowlrd 4), the opening bit looks like an exact rip of the Geonosian arean scenes in Attack of the Clones! I couldn't believe it how blatant it was. Then the music used on the Matrix trailer kicked in and it started to show bits that reminded me of everyting from Flash Gordon to Avatar. Biggest pile of balls I've seen advertised in a long time.

Invader_Ace -> RE: John Carter (27/1/2012 10:21:44 AM)

You know part of the reason for that is that Flash Gordon and Avatar are the great desendants of Princess of Mars.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: John Carter (27/1/2012 10:55:54 AM)

Cant wait! This and wrath of the titans are my most looked forward to movies this year!

Marwood -> RE: John Carter (27/1/2012 11:35:29 AM)

I'm interested but what's been released so far is pretty underwhelming - effects, design etc all look fine but nothing that doesn't echo stuff that's been seen before. I agree that because the Carter novels have influenced a lot of sci-fi/fantasy over the years the filmmakers have been beaten to it with certain elements or designs lifted from the novels' descriptions/concepts and cribbed by other filmmakers.

One thing I keep wondering (and appreciate this sounds kind of stupid) is why the Mars surface doesn't have more of a red hue. The landscape and sky just look like Utah and are hardly "other worldly" - like others have said the arena business just instantly evokes an Attack of The Clones look but with even less of an "alien" world feel. I haven't read them but was that a point of the novels? That Mars was essentially like Earth and that was a big surprise to Carter?

Sotto Voce -> RE: John Carter (27/1/2012 3:59:47 PM)

Seems to me the landscapes are too bland and the alien creatures aren't believable enough.

Proudfoot -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 9:42:58 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BxeHQY1NuM

Mojo -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 10:16:59 AM)

Saw a five minute 3D snippet of this in front of Journey 2 last night and it was pretty good. The effects looked great. I know very little about the book and am going into this as a fan of this kind of movie, but looking forward to it.

Discodez -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 10:20:32 AM)

Saw the trailer for this when I went to see Chronicle the other night and my only thought was "what the fuck?...."

hozay -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 11:10:00 AM)

The trailer looks alright. I'm not really an Edgar Rice Burrows fan but I'd like to see this.
I went to see The Grey a few days ago and only noticed as I came out that John Carter was screening at the same theatre (on another screen). If I'd realised I might have gone to see that instead.

musht -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 11:21:10 AM)

I'm sorry but they have a clip of a man painted blue making a motivational, uplifting speech. I know it's based on a book made years ago but people see that clip they're only going to be thinking "well, that's just a rip off of Avatar".

I don't think it looks that good

pixelcat -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 11:33:22 AM)

I thought the landscape looked good...but the rest just made me go 'Meh'. Didn't know it was being produced by Disney but when that 3D castle appeared I groaned. Needless to say, there's no hope in this film IMO. And knowing me being a purist, I'll probably critique the film in every single way. Which is a shame because I like Andrew Stanton.

Thought the protagonist was that Home&Away Australian fella that plays THOR. Didn't know him and Taylor Kitch look so similar!

Currently I have more interest in Chronicle and The Grey! But who knows, maybe when the film's released and gets good reviews I may consider watching it.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 1:31:41 PM)

So what's the verdict? is this going to bomb, hit big, or fall somewhere in between? I can't believe how awful and poorly thought out the marketing has been, particularly the posters. It's almost as if Disney don't care. This is still my most looked forward to movie after Wrath of the Titans though

pete_traynor -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 3:46:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So what's the verdict? is this going to bomb, hit big, or fall somewhere in between? I can't believe how awful and poorly thought out the marketing has been, particularly the posters. It's almost as if Disney don't care. This is still my most looked forward to movie after Wrath of the Titans though

This was right at the top of my most anticipated list a couple of years back. Right up there... then I actually saw images and footage and I was really underwhelmed. It all looks so uninspired and bland at this point!

I know itís a big deal in terms of the source material but so many films seem to have played on this kind of imagery and these themes that it is hard to get excited about it. I hope it lands to good reviews as I have a lot of time for Stanton. But itís just not working for me... on what Iíve seen.

I think lot will just look at it as Avatar in a desert. Which to be honest, the marketing suggests.

But Iím not familiar with the book, so hopefully there is a lot in there to set it apart that the film makers have tapped into.

Shouldn't have dropped the 'of Mars' though. Who called that one... [&:]

Darth Marenghi -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 3:51:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

Shouldn't have dropped the 'of Mars' though. Who called that one... [&:]

Yeah, it's daft really. I reckon people see the title and think "What is this, the prequel to Coach Carter?".

Olaf -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 3:58:03 PM)

I had no idea Michael Chabon co-wrote the script for this. That's kind of cool. (even if the film is probably rubbish.)

Darth Marenghi -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 4:22:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I had no idea Michael Chabon co-wrote the script for this. That's kind of cool. (even if the film is probably rubbish.)

Chabon's very much half literary giant, half geeky fanboy. [:D]

Olaf -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 4:36:25 PM)

Yeah absolutely - something like Kavalier & Clay is obviously written by someone with a lot of affection for the material/massive nerd. [:D] and The Yiddish Policemen's Union is magnificent as well as being a great piece of genre fiction.

st3veebee -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 4:44:03 PM)

I can't see this doing well at the BO. Don't think it will be a huge flop...but:

-Poor lead actor

-Too much jumping

-Meh FX and FAR too much of them.

-Never heard of it until it was greenlit.

Spaldron -> RE: John Carter (23/2/2012 5:26:06 PM)

Will probably end up this years turkey tbh. Seen the trailer a few times on the big screen and I just cant take it seriously enough to get excited, regardless of the source material. It just looks like a massive Avatar, AOTC and Prince of Persia knock off. And yes they shouldn't have changed the title, stupid decision.

Timon -> RE: John Carter (2012) (24/2/2012 4:34:07 PM)

So according to assorted Empire writers on The Twitter... it's really good.

Darth Marenghi -> RE: John Carter (2012) (24/2/2012 6:06:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Pretty much everyone who's seen it had been giving it a thumbsup on Twitter already, but good to see that it won over Chris, Helen and Kim.

Spaldron -> RE: John Carter (2012) (24/2/2012 7:00:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Well that's interesting, if it is then the trailer isn't doing it any favours.

Cool Breeze -> RE: John Carter (2012) (24/2/2012 7:34:12 PM)

I thought the short teaser trailer i watched made it look intriguing.Its refreshing that a big blockbuster type movie doesnt give everything away up front for a change.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI