Bad Teacher (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Bad Teacher (17/6/2011 10:00:23 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Bumfluff -> Bad Film (17/6/2011 10:00:23 PM)

Should have called it Bad Film.

Truly awful, with nothing funny or any redeeming features.

Maybe I'm just getting old?.....

Groovy Mule -> RE: Bad Film (18/6/2011 5:34:02 PM)

I like Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake and Jason Segal and yet, I didn't like this much at all. Bad Teacher is surprisingly unfunny with many of the one liners falling flat and there are some strange character quirks which add nothing. There were very few laughs in the screening I attended.

As a teacher might say to a bad pupil, I'm not angry just very disappointed!

3/10

jpaw1980 -> Everyone involved should be put in special measures immediately (19/6/2011 11:29:00 AM)

I can't believe this atrocity, in which the physical and emotional abuse of children is played for laughs, got three stars in Empire. It is truly awful and is easily the front runner for worst film of the year so far (which is quite a feat given this year has so far brought us The Hangover 2 and will bring us Transformers 3). I actually feel ashamed that I have contributed to the takings of this monstrosity. Everyone involved should be thoroughly, thoroughly ashamed of themselves. A clear case of why Empire online should allow zero star film ratings!

nhassell -> RE: Everyone involved should be put in special measures immediately (19/6/2011 2:13:01 PM)

Saw this last night. Easily the worst film of the year. Honestly. I think I laughed 2-3 times, at most.

filmsunlimited -> I give this a 4 - thats 'Inadequate' in Ofsted speak!!! (19/6/2011 3:45:18 PM)

At first this film actually seems to promise something almost arty, clips of teachers of yore. And the leaving speech scene at the start is oh so familiar to generations of teachers up and down the country and across the world, the politics of leaving speeches lol! However, very soon this becomes Waterloo Road meets Superbad. Whlie some aspects of this film are genuinely funny, the humour gets more and more lowbrow that less than half way through we are having abused kids (bruised from dodgeballs) played for laughs. Where this film really falls down is that it is makes Fast and Furious 5 look like it has a moreal backbone. This film is not just morally bankrupt, it threatens the whole EU economy!!! One may have hoped that the 7th graders would win the best state score test on the back of some actual honest lesson planning, differentiation, WALT, WILF, SEAL, PLTS etc! However, the whole notion that the students could actually win the award after the whole of the Autumn Term consists of watching (inapproporiate) movies in class only works of course if said teacher steals the answers. Trouble is, she gets away with it and a decent teacher has to leave as a result! This film does nothing for the teaching profession whatsoever, claiming that teachers only teach because of Summer Holidays and lack of accountability?! Whoever wrote this tosh obviously hasnt had to live through performance management and Ofsted inspections!!! I can only give this a two star rather than one because it is so unbelievably awful it is at times amusingly so. Possibly the turkey of the year. How Empire can give this three stars is beyond me!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: I give this a 4 - thats 'Inadequate' in Ofsted speak!!! (19/6/2011 8:09:22 PM)

I quite liked it!

Scruffybobby -> RE: I give this a 4 - thats 'Inadequate' in Ofsted speak!!! (22/6/2011 11:56:56 AM)

Bad Teacher is a something of a missed opportunity. It offered the chance for Cameron Diaz to play up her dark side in a antihero kind of role and she does her best with what the script gives her, unfortunately that isn't a lot. Her character ultimately isn't interesting enough to raise much sympathy. Fair play though for refusing to have a sudden third act redemption for her.

Of the supporting cast only Jason Segel really comes across as particularly likeable. Lucy Punch is effective as the neurotic and slightly unhinged rival and Justin Timberlake shows some comic talent as the somewhat fickle object of Diaz's "affections".Overall though this is a bunch of unlikeable people being generally pretty unpleasant to each other.

There is some bad taste fun to be had here but it could have been a lot better.

lewisb548 -> (6/7/2011 6:35:01 PM)

Foul-mouthed seventh grade teacher (Cameron Diaz) is dumped by her sugar daddy. To bounce back, she sets her sights instead on colleague Scott's (Timberlake) affections, but the school's model teacher takes exception to this - and conflict ensues.
How family friendly a film where the main plot device is a bitch trying to get a boob-job, oh dear.
Still Cameron Diaz puts on a worthwhile performance and this film is worth watching just to see her squeezing another girls boobs, now this film is hillarious at times but some of the material featured in the film is not needed.
Justin Timberlake plays the dumbass teacher who doesn't show a shred of humanity or intelligence throughout the film.
Jason Segel plays the underwritten PE teacher and Lucy Punch plays the chirpy good-teacher who with ease turns bad, the principal was very funny with his obsession with dolphins and Cameron Diaz lobbing balls at young men was quite funny yet at times this film was hit and miss.
Cameron Diaz had the chance here to play a proper anti-hero but she comes off as barely likeable, because she wasnt bad enough.
The dryhumping scene in this film was just wrong but its nice to see Diaz back to her funny self, but a third act warm hearted redemption cant save the so-called bad teacher now.
The highlight of the film is Diaz's explanations for her divorce with her tomboy, such as " i walked in on him fucking his dog." or "I walked in on him fucking his sister."
Heeeeee. Diaz squeezing female boobs was very funny and arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrousing.

Swedle -> RE: (10/7/2011 4:56:51 PM)

i can only say, watching justin timberlake pretend to have sex was really really uncomfortable,
since when was building a film around cameron diaz's boobs an exscuse to make said film
admittedly, there were a few funny moments, mostly instigated by jason segal, the lone bright spark in an otherwise dull, predictable film

tysmuse -> Funny but odd (10/7/2011 7:48:20 PM)

Despite having a really bad screenplay - the film's clearly been re-written to death, some scenes are just don't seem to fit. Also, suffers from having crap supporting cast. Only Diaz (in her best roles for ages) and Segel (how fat is he!?) bring the laughs.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Funny but odd (1/8/2011 8:43:34 PM)

So, nobody liked it then? lol.

vad3r -> RE: Funny but odd (1/8/2011 9:57:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

So, nobody liked it then? lol.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I quite liked it!

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Funny but odd (1/8/2011 10:54:10 PM)

Ah, you fell into my trap.  I was being sarcastic Vad3r. 

Apart from Rgirvan everyone hated it. 

thetruth -> RE: Funny but odd (3/8/2011 10:29:46 AM)

I thought it was ok.There are too many annoying pointless characters.
Segal does his best with the material.
Diaz was ok,better than Anniston in Horrible Bosses.
3 stars for me.

lynnshep -> So so Bad teacher (23/2/2012 11:15:41 PM)

Okay, some laughs most of which are in the trailer.

lynnshep -> So so Bad teacher (23/2/2012 11:15:42 PM)

Okay, some laughs most of which are in the trailer.

norgizfox -> Bad Teacher (30/6/2012 5:51:35 PM)

Hilarious, but a little over-raunchy. Cameron Diaz delivers an A+ performance with this funny take on modern-day teachers. If only the script writers gave her more to work with...

ROTGUT -> WELL...THEY GOT THE "BAD" BIT RIGHT..... (28/5/2013 5:40:47 PM)

Admittedly, Cameron Diaz is still pretty hot looking - but she should sack her agent tomorrow if she's going to appear in any more cack handed productions like this.......but hell...what do I know? This shitty film grossed a couple of hundred million dollars at the box office...right? So who cares if it's actually funny or not.......
This is a poorly written, stone faced "comedy" with barely any redeeming factors (apart from Ms D) which seems to be aimed squarely at 12 year old horny schoolboys. AVOID - unless you're a 12 YEAR OLD HORNY SCHOOLBOY-
TWO STARS.....

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02