Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic

Chief Wiggum -> Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (13/6/2011 8:40:40 PM)

In an effort to try and get a decent thread going (and provide an excuse for more spamming of the Forums with my pictures) I thought I'd revive and old idea, but when I found the thread it appeared to be locked.

The Empire Forum Off Topic Photo Challenge

You have a 21 days to post a picture *you* have taken, then entries close and voting begins.

When you vote, vote for your favourite picture, and award two discretionary bonus points for meritorious also rans for any reason that you choose; be it funny, a close run between your favourite and a second, or you fancy the other forumite and want to get into their pants (this would probably not work as a tactic though)

RULES

• The first rule of photo club is...
    standard forum rules apply (so don't go posting pictures of your cock/boobies, unless the theme is birds)

• The photo must be taken by you

• The photo must link to the theme, even if it is tenuous.

• The winner of the previous competition gets to pick the next theme
    -Themes should be non-specific to allow the majority of forumites to enter, (i.e. rather than requesting pictures of "an old man holding a new-born" why not go for "old and new")
    - if you are choosing the theme, you get to choose what will generate a bonus point (i.e. the oldest item pictured, highest numer of items in a shot, etc) preferably something quantifiable rather than subjective,

• Use of Photoshop* is allowed, but limited to cropping and global edits (i.e. edits that apply to the whole picture, no spot healing, etc)

• Photos can be from anytime, but they must only be used in one competition, if you re-post the pic you will be disqualified from the months competition asked to submit another picture - [change of rule - see Sharkboy vs Wiggum a.k.a. "watergate" in June 2012 competition]

• points shall be awarded for each round in the competition with 25 for the winner, and a decreasing amount of points for lower places.

• Entrants should have a minimum of 50 posts to their name, if you do not meet this requirement hang around in Fun and games for a couple of hours, you should be up to the limit then.

• the last and probably the most important rule, have fun, I'd rather that this do not descend into cliquery and arguments

I'm not sure if we need more rules, but if anybody has any suggestions feel free to shout 'em out

**********************************************************************************************

Points system

Pos. Points
1st 25
2nd 18
3rd 15
4th 12
5th 10
6th 8
7th 6
8th 4
9th 2
10th 1

If you get no votes, you get no points (like a DNF in F1)
*********************************************************************************************

*there are other picture editing software packages available - if you don't have Photoshop there is a free alternative called Gimp, I'd suggest googling it, but I can't be sure what you'll find

**if you get off your arse and cook it yourself

********************************************************2011 results*************************************************************************************
Round one, Started 16th June, entries close 30th June - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3118697

Round Two started 15th July Entries close 5th August. - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3138965

Round 3 started 17th August, entries close 7th August - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3168843

Results after 3 Rounds
Hozay - 32 Points
Chief Wiggum - 28 points
Sharkboy - 26 points
Johnson - 19 Points
Rinc - 15 points
Jamesnumbers- 12 points
Sanchia - 11 points
HobbitonLass - 11points
SwordsandSandals - 8 points
DJ Satan - 2 Ponts
GingerDaniel - 1 point
Steffols - 6 Points
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

2012 competition

Round 1; Finished April 5th- Time for a Fresh Start

Round 2; Finished May 4th- Home

Round 3; Finished - Such Great Heights

Round 4;Finished -Water, Water Everywhere

Round 5; finished - In a Garden

Round 6; finished -Food Glorious Food

Round 7; finished buildings

results after 5th round

1- HobbitonLass -103.5pts
2- Chief wiggum -88pts
3 Hozay -83 pts
4 Gingerdaniel - 63pts
5 Sanchia -57pts
6-HomerSimpson_esq -51.5pts
7 Sharkboy -45pts
8 LastMemories -39pts
9 Rebenectomy - 38pts
10 Jon5000 - 25pts
11 Hubu_Phonk -24pts
12 Valanya -22pts
13 Jonson -18pts
=quint 18pts
14 PocketRocket -15 point
15 Swiss Simon 12pts
16 Funkyrae -10pts
17 Mojo -6pts
= King of Kafiristan -6pts

sanchia -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (13/6/2011 9:04:19 PM)

I've been considering resurrecting the thread myself. Any suggestions on a theme?

Are we going to do the old method of having the pictures anonymously posted by a single individual so no one knows who took them until the end?

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (13/6/2011 10:13:28 PM)

Why did the old thread get locked? I really enjoyed following it while it was still active.

Sway -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (13/6/2011 10:19:07 PM)

Did it actually get locked or was there not two parallel threads, one for everyone to comment and discuss in, and the other was just used by JamesNumbers (I think it was him who ran it?) to post the submissions and themes etc.

I do recall mass debates over numerous things though.   One of them was people getting annoyed that posters were 'shoe-horning' current photos to fit the theme, the gripe being that the point of the competition was to actively take new photos.  Another was whether people should be allowed to use photoshop or whatever other software there is for enhancing photos.     Perhaps deciding firm rules at the start would alleviate such potential problems?

Rinc -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (13/6/2011 10:22:50 PM)

Looking forward to this. I really enjoyed the last one.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (13/6/2011 10:25:51 PM)

I see my thread worked.

sanchia -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (13/6/2011 10:27:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Did it actually get locked or was there not two parallel threads, one for everyone to comment and discuss in, and the other was just used by JamesNumbers (I think it was him who ran it?) to post the submissions and themes etc.

I do recall mass debates over numerous things though.   One of them was people getting annoyed that posters were 'shoe-horning' current photos to fit the theme, the gripe being that the point of the competition was to actively take new photos.  Another was whether people should be allowed to use photoshop or whatever other software there is for enhancing photos.     Perhaps deciding firm rules at the start would alleviate such potential problems?

I remember that. I think the final decision was they were able to use photo editing to crop, enhance colour or brightness but none of the fancy stuff.

Chief -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 10:19:11 AM)

quote:

mass debates over numerous things

Snigger.

Drew_231 -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 11:03:16 AM)

Good idea, im up for it

Although my photo skills are at the amateur level at best

Hood_Man -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 12:43:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

Snigger.

Hurr hurr hurr.

This sound like a great idea. I definitely think the rules should be strict though, no submitting the same picture in multiple themes for one. Where's the fun in just submitting the same photo over and over?

I think the use of Photoshop is ok, but it would be nice if we occasionally had a "no photoshop" theme as well.

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 1:45:28 PM)

right, with a good morning of ignoring thinking about work, and thinking about this instead

I've come up with the basic format which may work.

at the start of the competition a theme is posted, you have 14 days to take a photo, and put it in the competition thread. after 14 days entries close and another 14days go by with people voting in the same thread for their favourite, photo with the most vote wins and gets to pick the next theme.

I would agree with photoshop being limited to cropping, and colour balance (as much as I would like to allow vignetting)
I reckon we should allow photos taken outside the competition timeline to enter (otherwise cheats will do it anyway, whilst the rest of us honest folk are penalised for not doing so), but any pic posted in multiple competitions gets the poster disqualified for the month.

As the timeframe allows for one comp each month I think it would be nice if the theme would co-incide with what's going on in that month, so in November we could have a fireworks theme, or in December a christmas type one. preferably keeping the themes as wide and vague as possible to allow those with artistic flair (i.e. not me) to run wild.

and not wanting to punish new people for being "noobs" but in Joypad there's a min 50 post limit for entry into competitions, which I'd like to apply if nobody has any objections.

pocketrocket -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 3:04:39 PM)

All sounds good, I'm in.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 3:07:00 PM)

Count me in! [:D]

bobatim -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 3:37:59 PM)

Oooh I've been looking for a good excuse to dust off my camera, count me in!!

swordsandsandals -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 6:37:43 PM)

I'm in it.

Although not to win it.

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 6:57:43 PM)

what I thought would be a good idea (me hard at work again) is to give the winning photo 25 points and then have bonus points for each theme, so for instance if the them was something old, the person with the picture of the oldest thing would get 10 bonus points. at the end of the year we tot up the total of everybody's points and announce a grand winner.

that and each voter has a couple of bonus points that they can award each competition.

bobatim -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 7:20:27 PM)

Does the Grand Winner get a prize? And if they do, can I be the Grand Winner?[:D]

sanchia -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 7:22:59 PM)

A hearty handshake and a Wiggum will give you a knee trembler behind the bikeshed.

bobatim -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 7:26:00 PM)

Hmm, may have to make sure my photos suck then[:D] Not that it'll be difficult to do so [:D]

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 8:08:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

A hearty handshake and a Wiggum will give you a knee trembler behind the bikeshed.

that, sir, would not constitute a prize [:D]

sanchia -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 8:33:14 PM)

It would for you. [;)]

Sway -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 9:02:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

Snigger.

Hurr hurr hurr.

[:D]  That took me a while.

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/6/2011 9:18:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

It would for you. [;)]

[:D]

Drew_231 -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (15/6/2011 7:40:11 AM)

So whats the theme going to be? 

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (15/6/2011 5:27:26 PM)

right as we've had no suggestions for a theme yet, I had 3 ideas that we could do.

- photos inspired by a movie quote, in this case "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads", the aim of the game to pick something that goes without using necessarily using roads
- As it's June and the month of weddings "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue", and you pick one of them.
- or as it's the first one, "I spy, something with my eye, something beginning with...... A!"

swordsandsandals -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (15/6/2011 11:01:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

right as we've had no suggestions for a theme yet, I had 3 ideas that we could do.

- photos inspired by a movie quote, in this case "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads", the aim of the game to pick something that goes without using necessarily using roads
- As it's June and the month of weddings "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue", and you pick one of them.
- or as it's the first one, "I spy, something with my eye, something beginning with...... A!"

Chief as it's the first round, I say you make an executive decision. I'm sure we won't mind, and after that the winners can choose the themes.

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (16/6/2011 5:11:34 PM)

right mind made up and the first round thread will be posted imminently.

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/7/2011 5:34:03 PM)

right Round One has finished and I've updated the first post with current standings.

Some thoughts after round one - too much voting time and not enough posting time - I reckon for Round Two we go to 21 days of entries, and 7 of voting.

just waiting for a PM from Hozay for the next theme

Hobbitonlass -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (14/7/2011 6:20:47 PM)

The alteration to the voting and posting times sounds good to me!

Will definitely be submitting something this time round [:D]

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Reviving a old idea - Off Topic Photo Competition (13/8/2011 11:09:13 AM)

As stunning 2nd Round has just finished (with the bonus points to be awarded)

As I won it I'll have a think of a title and start a new round soon.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI