RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack

furrybastard -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (12/6/2011 7:45:30 PM)

The four Superman titles make it 52 #1s. Full list below!

Superheroes

Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League #1
Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti on Justice League International #1
Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang on Wonder Woman #1
Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis on Aquaman #1
Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul on Flash #1
Ethan Van Sciver & Gail Simone and Yildiray Cinary on The Fury Of Firestorm #1
Tony Daniel and Philip Tan on Hawkman #1.
JT Krul and Dan Jurgens on Green Arrow #1
Eric Wallace and Roger Robinson on Mister Terrific #1.
JT Krul and Freddie Williams II on Captain Atom #1. 
Paul Jenkins, Bernard Chang & Various on DC Universe Presents #1 (anthology) feat. Deadman

Superman

Grant Morrison and Rags Morales on Action Comics #1
George Perez and Jesus Merino on Superman #1
Scott Lobdell, R.B. Silva and Rob Lean on Superboy #1
Michael Green and Michael Johnson on Supergirl #1

Green Lantern

Geoff Johns and Doug Mahnke on Green Lantern #1
Peter J. Tomasi, Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna on Green Lantern Corps #1
Tony Bedard, Tyler Kirkham and Batt on Green Lantern: The New Guardians #1
Peter Milligan, Ed Benes and Rob Hunter on Red Lanterns #1

Batman Family

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo on Batman #1
Tony Daniel on Detective Comics #1
Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason on Batman & Robin #1
David Finch on Batman: The Dark Knight #1
Kyle Higgins and Eddy Barrows on Nightwing #1 
JH Williams III on Batwoman #1
Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf and Vicente Cifuentes on Batgirl #1
Judd Winick and Ben Oliver on Batwing #1
Judd Winick and Guillem March on Catwoman #1
Duane Swierczynski and Jesus Saiz on Birds of Prey#1
Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort on Red Hood and the Outlaws #1

DCU Dark (Horror, Mature, Vertigo-type comics)

Scott Snyder, Yanick Paquette and Franceso Francavilla on Swamp Thing #1
Jeff Lemire and Travel Foreman and Dan Greenon Animal Man #1
Peter Milligan and Mikel Janin on Justice League Dark #1
Paul Cornell, Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert on Demon Knights #1
Jeff Lemire and Alberto Ponticelli on Frankenstein: Agent Of SHADE #1
Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning and Fernando Dagnino on Resurrection Man #1
Josh Fialkov and Andrea Sorrentino on I, Vampire #1
Ron Marz and Sami Basri on Voodoo #1

DCU Teen

Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth on Teen Titans #1
Fabian Nicieza and Pete Woods on Legion Lost #1
Paul Levitz and Francis Portela on Legion of Superheroes #1
John Rozum and Scott McDaniel on Static Shock #1
Sterlign Gates and Rob Liefeld on Hawk and Dove #1

The Edge (made up of genre/Wildstorm stuff, seemingly)

Nathan Edmondson, CAFU and BIT on Grifter #1
Paul Cornell and Miguel Sepulveda on Stormwatch #1
Ivan Brandon and Tom Derenick on Sgt Rock And The Men Of War #1
Dan Didio, Keith Giffen and Scott Koblish on OMAC #1
Kyle Higgins, Joe Bennet and Art Thibert on Deathstroke #1
Mike Costa and Ken Lashley on Blackhawk #1
Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti and Moritat on All Star Western #1 feat. Jonah Hex
Adam Glass and Marco Rudy on Suicide Squad #1
Tony Bedard, Ig Guara and Ruy Jose on Blue Beetle #1

------------------------------------------------------------------

sanchia -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (12/6/2011 8:01:15 PM)

Resurrection Man!

I hope it is related to the great (and underrated) series from the 90's. It was a great comic.

furrybastard -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (12/6/2011 8:09:28 PM)

From the DC Source blog...

A cult favorite character returns in a new series written by his classic creative team of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. Joining them is JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST artist Fernando Dagnino. RESURRECTION MAN #1 is the story of a hero who wakes up with new powers each time hes killed.

[image]http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2011/06/rmn_cv1janagsye5.jpg[/image]

sanchia -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (12/6/2011 9:02:20 PM)

I have a sudden urge to dig up the previous run from whichever box I have it stored in. I see an an addition to my pull list in the future.

Vadersville -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (13/6/2011 10:04:25 AM)

Is anyone actually looking forward to this reboot or are we all awaiting it with a mixture of dread and anxiety?

Rob -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (13/6/2011 10:51:53 AM)

I'm more excited than anxious to be honest. I tend to pick up Batman books first and foremost and I don't see massive amounts of change happening there. Tim Drake seems to have been altered the most but apparently that will be explained in story so I'm not massively worried. In terms of art we have Capullo, Daniel and Finch drawing Batman which is great and the day and date digital distribution means that I can pick up comics on a whim that perhaps I wouldn't necessarily try.

Johns and Lee on JLA is as a good a creative team as I could hope for so all in all I'm excited. That said it could be an unmitigated disaster!

Vadersville -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (13/6/2011 12:05:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I'm more excited than anxious to be honest. I tend to pick up Batman books first and foremost and I don't see massive amounts of change happening there. Tim Drake seems to have been altered the most but apparently that will be explained in story so I'm not massively worried. In terms of art we have Capullo, Daniel and Finch drawing Batman which is great and the day and date digital distribution means that I can pick up comics on a whim that perhaps I wouldn't necessarily try.

Johns and Lee on JLA is as a good a creative team as I could hope for so all in all I'm excited. That said it could be an unmitigated disaster!

Barbara back as Batgirl? Dick back as Nightwing... to be it just seems like a BIG step backwards after such a great run for the last 5 or so years.

Hmm, but then again, everything though Miller and Lee on All Star Batman would be amazing and look how that turned out.... [:(]

Rob -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (13/6/2011 1:25:40 PM)

Dick was always going to be Nightwing again in my opinion. I liked the concept of Batman Inc. and multiple Batmen but it was always a temporary measure so that doesn't concern me too much and judging by the solicitations his time as Batman is still very much in continuity. As for Batgirl, I think it's a mistake as Oracle is such a great character in her own right. However, given the Universe that these character's inhabit it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility that she'd find someone that can make her walk again.

It really depends on how it's handled but I suspect the Batbooks are going to stick with the current continuity to a large degree.

As for All Star Batman...I loved it!

furrybastard -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (13/6/2011 2:56:08 PM)

I don't buy all that many DC titles anyway these days but I do welcome the stated attempt of streamlining the continuity and making th DCU more accessible, as it's something I've always found particularly frustrating with DC comics (moreso than Marvel).

In some ways I feel like it's a bit of a missed opportunity right now; a lot of the creative teams involved are simply reshuffles and not all that exciting. Scott Lobdell and Dan Jurgens getting multiple titles is an odd choice and suggests an editorial confidence in them that's sorely lacking from most readers, I think. Then again, these two guys were behind some of the biggest 'events' and best-selling comics of the 90s so perhaps I'm being a snob. I do think DC need to extend and diversify their talent pool; losing Nick Spencer to Marvel was embarrassing and they really need better artists, even if it means poaching them from the competiton. I'd love to see artists like Duncan Fegredo, Chris Weston and others getting a shot at some of these titles rather than the Jim Lee clones and DC/Marvel house style that refuses to go away.

There are some great-sounding comics up there though and I will say I'll most likely be buying more DC titles than usual when these come out. Whether or not I stick with them is up to their respective quality. Here's what I'm interested in anyway...

Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League #1    (Wait and see)
Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang on Wonder Woman #1 . 
Paul Jenkins, Bernard Chang & Various on DC Universe Presents #1 (anthology) feat. Deadman
Grant Morrison and Rags Morales on Action Comics #1
Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo on Batman #1
JH Williams III on Batwoman #1
Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf and Vicente Cifuentes on Batgirl #1   (Wait and see)
Scott Snyder, Yanick Paquette and Franceso Francavilla on Swamp Thing #1
Jeff Lemire and Travel Foreman and Dan Greenon Animal Man #1
Paul Cornell, Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert on Demon Knights #1   (Wait and see)
Jeff Lemire and Alberto Ponticelli on Frankenstein: Agent Of SHADE #1   (Wait and see)
Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning and Fernando Dagnino on Resurrection Man #1    (Wait and see)
Paul Cornell and Miguel Sepulveda on Stormwatch #1    (Wait and see)

Vadersville -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (13/6/2011 4:13:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Dick was always going to be Nightwing again in my opinion. I liked the concept of Batman Inc. and multiple Batmen but it was always a temporary measure so that doesn't concern me too much and judging by the solicitations his time as Batman is still very much in continuity. As for Batgirl, I think it's a mistake as Oracle is such a great character in her own right. However, given the Universe that these character's inhabit it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility that she'd find someone that can make her walk again.

It really depends on how it's handled but I suspect the Batbooks are going to stick with the current continuity to a large degree.

As for All Star Batman...I loved it!

This is about the only thing I agree with you on haha. But yeah, whilst it's not a stretch that Barbara could walk again, it is a cop out. Especially since not only is Oracle a much stronger character but she's also a great inspiration for many readers with disabilities. One of the many problems with comics is that every single developement sooner or later is reset. Stories are rendered pointless and characters stuck in a never-ending loop with no development, and this reboot is doing that on a epic scale. I'm not a fan of Batman Inc but I've been pleasantly surprised with Dick Grayson as Batman and liked the idea of both Grayson and Wayne as Batmen. I've also been won over by Stephanie Brown as Batgirl who I really never took when she was The Spoiler. What's going to be happening to her now Babs is taking back the mantel?

britesparc -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (15/6/2011 4:03:02 PM)

If I'm completely honest, my biggest bugbear is the lack of Stephanie Brown.  I've always liked her, maybe because I always like rooting for underdogs or nearly-men, and her tenure as Batgirl was genuinely really, really enjoyable.  I have maximum faith in Simone, and I've always liked Babs too, but I think deep down, even though it was for all too brief a time, Steph will remain forever my Batgirl.

That being said, pretty much everything else about the relaunch excites me.  The references to Batman Inc suggest continuity is being merely reshuffled rather than rebooted, my favourite writer is doing what amounts to Superman: Year One, and there are loads of third-tier characters getting their own books, which look rather exciting.  I think I'll be getting:

Action Comics
Batman
Batman & Robin
Nightwing
Batgirl
Justice League

...and I'll at least try the first issues of...

Teen Titans
Superman
Batwing
Red Hood
Suicide Squad

Invader_Ace -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (21/6/2011 4:36:19 PM)

What the heck is Justice League Dark?

Vadersville -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (21/6/2011 5:18:58 PM)

Just read this Clicky, which does suggest for Batman at least it's not a reboot in terms of continuity but more a fresh start for some characters. To be honest its made me think this new DCnU is even more pointless. They're saying its to attract new readers who are put off with the whole backstory and history to catch up on which is fair enough but then they're keeping the history anyway. To be honest the one thing they could do to attract more sales: cut down on the number of bloody titles! I know a few mates who fancy reading a bit of Batman but are put off by so many different titles to choose from. One of them did get into Detective Comics a few years back but then got pissed off when the story kept jumping back and forth with another Batman title. I have to admit, most of the time I just wait for the TPB.

Whilst it will be interesting to see where they take the relationship between Bruce and Damian, now they're Batman and Robin; I've grown to love the dynamic between Damian and Dick so much I'll be sad to see it end. Plus, I'm really not a fan of Dick returning to Nightwing. I thought they would do it when Bruce first returned but was plesantly surprised when they kept both Bruce and Dick as Batman. My biggest gripe though is the return of Barbara to Batgirl. Its so wrong. Oracle is such a great character and having Barbara healed or her paralysis retconned is a major cop-out. And I still don't know whats happening to poor Stephanie Brown. Plus, doesn't this mean Batgirl is actually older than Batwoman now?

furrybastard -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (21/6/2011 5:41:58 PM)

With the seeming failure of the Green Lantern film, it looks like DC Entertainment might be in a bit of trouble. There's been suggestions that, other than the Big Two, DC's characters are too inherently ridiculous to translate into mass market appeal through films/tv shows etc. It's true that they're much less grounded than a lot of Marvel's characters and most of the names tend to be pretty absurd; they seem to just combine colours and animals/objects and there you have it. Maybe this was because comics were ultimately seen as disposable or pulpy back in the day so not as much thought was given to these things.

There's also been talk that this DC relaunch is a desperate measure on the part of DC Comics, trying to show that they can manage themselves rather than having the WB step in and take the reins. Dan Didio must be sweating it as September gets closer...[;)]

Meanwhile, Marvel sits back and waits to see how things fall. They're probably looking at this as DC being very useful guinea pigs.

Darth Marenghi -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (21/6/2011 6:34:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

My biggest gripe though is the return of Barbara to Batgirl. Its so wrong. Oracle is such a great character and having Barbara healed or her paralysis retconned is a major cop-out.

This. Absolutely this.

Vadersville -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (21/6/2011 7:27:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

With the seeming failure of the Green Lantern film, it looks like DC Entertainment might be in a bit of trouble. There's been suggestions that, other than the Big Two, DC's characters are too inherently ridiculous to translate into mass market appeal through films/tv shows etc. It's true that they're much less grounded than a lot of Marvel's characters and most of the names tend to be pretty absurd; they seem to just combine colours and animals/objects and there you have it. Maybe this was because comics were ultimately seen as disposable or pulpy back in the day so not as much thought was given to these things.

There's also been talk that this DC relaunch is a desperate measure on the part of DC Comics, trying to show that they can manage themselves rather than having the WB step in and take the reins. Dan Didio must be sweating it as September gets closer...[;)]

Meanwhile, Marvel sits back and waits to see how things fall. They're probably looking at this as DC being very useful guinea pigs.

I don't think they're anymore ridiculous than the Marvel characters. Comic characters by definition operate in their own world. I've heard if anything the reason Green Lantern is so crap is that they take liberties with the material, most notably the charcater of Hal Jordan. That said, I still thought it was doing big at the box office? If they want to know how to handle the DC characters they'd do well to have a look back at the old Justice League Unlimited series. That was awesome!

furrybastard -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (21/6/2011 10:01:53 PM)

quote:

I don't think they're anymore ridiculous than the Marvel characters. Comic characters by definition operate in their own world. I've heard if anything the reason Green Lantern is so crap is that they take liberties with the material, most notably the charcater of Hal Jordan. That said, I still thought it was doing big at the box office? If they want to know how to handle the DC characters they'd do well to have a look back at the old Justice League Unlimited series. That was awesome!

Purely from a comics perspective, I always found the majority of the DC characters pretty ridiculous, even embarrasing. Red Tornado, Green Lantern, Blue Beetle, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman etc.  The Marvel counterparts generally have much stronger names: Vision, Namor, Daredevil, Hulk, Spider-Man, Captain America, Falcon etc.

Not trying to start a Marvel/DC thing here but as a youngster I always found the DC characters too silly-sounding for my liking [:D]  I mean, if you tell a lay person that Green Lantern is about a guy who wears a ring that he has to recharge in a magic lantern and his weakness is yellow...

DC should take a note out of Marvel's book and hire good, interesting directors to make this stuff. They lucked out with Nolan but directors like Zack Snyder and Martin Campbell are pretty much journeymen, or in the case of Snyder, a hack. Whedon wasn't allowed to do Wonder Woman and now he's doing Avengers. They're losing pretty badly here and their mistakes seem pretty obvious to everyone but themselves.

Apparently Nicholas Winding Refn (director of Pusher, Drive, Bronson, Valhalla Rising) wants to make a Wonder Woman film with Mad Men star Christina Hendricks. I can't tell you how much I'd like to see that film!![:D]

Darth Marenghi -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 12:59:28 AM)

quote:

Not trying to start a Marvel/DC thing here but as a youngster I always found the DC characters too silly-sounding for my liking [:D] I mean, if you tell a lay person that Green Lantern is about a guy who wears a ring that he has to recharge in a magic lantern and his weakness is yellow...

He'd probably think it was as stupid as a man turning into a green giant after being caught in the blast of a radiation bomb. [8D]

sanchia -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 9:13:45 AM)

The one thing I am worried about is that they will take the route of re-writing classic stories again (such as Year One etc.) rather than attempting to create new classic stories. I think the temptation to retread old ground will be rather significant.

Rob -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 10:13:02 AM)

Do you mean as in a total reboot or a Secret Origin idea where the stories still happened but they are altered slightly to include more elements e.g. Green Lantern: Secret Origin?

I certainly don't think they'll change too much from things like the Killing Joke, Year One, Batman RIP etc.

britesparc -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 11:15:58 AM)

It's been confirmed that most of the DCU history is intact.  There are changes, and some are going to end up being really big, but I read an interview somewhere (I forget with whom) where they listed a bunch of stories and asked if they were still in continuity, and each answer was a "yes". I remember they asked about Killing Joke and Identity Crisis, I forget what else.

But - and it's a big but - there are changes, for instance Superman is now the first person to be called a superhero and the Justice League (I think they've lost the "of America") are the first formal super-team (although Stormwatch has apparently been operating for longer).  The first JL arc will be a new origin story (rewriting existing continuity, I suppose), and Morrison's Action Comics story is about Clark Kent coming to Metropolis for the first time (essentially Superman: Year One). 

Whilst I'm mega-excited, I am a bit worried that this potential mish-mash of stuff changing and stuff staying the same may end up a bit confusing.  And I already miss Stephanie Brown.

Rob -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 11:41:42 AM)

I guess it's all going to boil down to the execution. My main focus is on the Batbooks and the continuity isn't going to change too much on that side by all accounts, so I'm happy. I'm aware that there are changes (Babs, Steph, Dick, Tim etc) but what happened happened so Dick as Batman, Tim as Robin, Steph as Batgirl and the Killing Joke all took place.

Again using something like GL: Secret Origin as an example I think it proves that you can go back to the origins and embellish and tweak things if it's done well.

My only reservation at this stage is bringing back Babs as Batgirl but other than that I'm really looking forward to it.

Vadersville -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 12:44:28 PM)

quote:

quote:

Purely from a comics perspective, I always found the majority of the DC characters pretty ridiculous, even embarrasing. Red Tornado, Green Lantern, Blue Beetle, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman etc.  The Marvel counterparts generally have much stronger names: Vision, Namor, Daredevil, Hulk, Spider-Man, Captain America, Falcon etc.

Not trying to start a Marvel/DC thing here but as a youngster I always found the DC characters too silly-sounding for my liking [:D]  I mean, if you tell a lay person that Green Lantern is about a guy who wears a ring that he has to recharge in a magic lantern and his weakness is yellow...

I don't really find the DC character names anymore silly than Marvel. Out of the ones you've listed; how is Spider-Man any stronger than Hawkman? And Captain America is a seriously daft name. Let's not forget Marvel also have the Green Goblin, The Thing, Mr.Fantastic and Black Cat. They all sound pretty embarassing to me, regardless of how cool or not the characters are.

furrybastard -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 1:57:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

He'd probably think it was as stupid as a man turning into a green giant after being caught in the blast of a radiation bomb. [8D]

Yeah but Hulk is essentially Jekyll and Hyde. And even so, GL still sounds much, much sillier when you compare those descriptions. His weakness is yellow, for chrissakes!!

furrybastard -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 2:04:24 PM)

quote:

I don't really find the DC character names anymore silly than Marvel. Out of the ones you've listed; how is Spider-Man any stronger than Hawkman? And Captain America is a seriously daft name. Let's not forget Marvel also have the Green Goblin, The Thing, Mr.Fantastic and Black Cat. They all sound pretty embarassing to me, regardless of how cool or not the characters are.

Fair point re: Spider-Man and Hawkman (Spidey looks a lot cooler though. Hawkman has always looked ridiculous). Those Marvel names mostly are still better than the vast majority of DC names (The Flash is a decent DC name, one of the few). Black Cat is a common term, not just a haphazard mashing of colour/thing. The Thing is a great name!

I have no excuse for Green Goblin though, that's pretty silly alright [:D]  Maybe I prefer the Marvel names because they all reflect what the character is/does. Names like Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter don't explain much. Or maybe it's just cos' I'm more familiar with the Marvel characters!

sanchia -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 2:13:09 PM)

quote:

I have no excuse for Green Goblin though, that's pretty silly alright [:D] Maybe I prefer the Marvel names because they all reflect what the character is/does. Names like Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter don't explain much. Or maybe it's just cos' I'm more familiar with the Marvel characters!

He's from Mars and he is a detective type bloke. [;)]

britesparc -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 2:56:24 PM)

Also, re: Green Lantern, the yellow weakness has been dealt with in continuity terms and is something that's very easy to ignore if you're making a movie. 

Also (again), "space cop with magic ring" is a pretty funky - and easy-to-sell - concept, the ridiculous expositionary opening in the new movie notwithstanding.

Vadersville -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 5:41:13 PM)

quote:

quote:

Fair point re: Spider-Man and Hawkman (Spidey looks a lot cooler though. Hawkman has always looked ridiculous). Those Marvel names mostly are still better than the vast majority of DC names (The Flash is a decent DC name, one of the few). Black Cat is a common term, not just a haphazard mashing of colour/thing. The Thing is a great name!

I have no excuse for Green Goblin though, that's pretty silly alright [:D]  Maybe I prefer the Marvel names because they all reflect what the character is/does. Names like Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter don't explain much. Or maybe it's just cos' I'm more familiar with the Marvel characters!

The Thing does? Its literally like they couldn't think of anything to call him and just wnet well hes this thing, aha! Great name, Thing. To me, Thing is a hand that runs around a creepy mansion. Mr. Fantatsic, what does that tell us? Dr Strange? Impossible Man? Red Wasp?

sanchia -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 5:45:57 PM)

You had the Red Bee in DC. A bloke who had a couple of trained bees. [;)]

Darth Marenghi -> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? (30/6/2011 6:52:23 PM)

And Marvel had Stilt-Man, who... well, I'll let you figure it out.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI