RE: A bit harsh Empire! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Wild about Wilder -> RE: A bit harsh Empire! (1/6/2011 2:04:37 PM)

I agree definetly a 4* film I thought going in Havok would be my major bug-bear but no, for some reason known only 2 himself Vaughn obviously hates "CELTS" in that both Moira MacTaggert (A Scottish Scientist) & Sean Cassidy (Irish & in his 40s & her lover) are both played as Americans in Cassidy's case as a teenager & MacTaggert a CIA Agent.
But apart from that minor quibble it was really enjoyable & the 132 mins fairly raced by with the 2 leads especially Fasbender bringing their A Game, the film leads nicely into what will be the future battles between Charles & Eric,
Look out for 2 cameos of original cast members 1 a blink & you'll miss it & the other a hillarious 3 word 1 liner about 49 mins in.
"ALSO NO ENDING AFTER THE FILM " SO UNLESS YOU'RE A TAKE THAT FAN & WANT 2 HEAR THEIR SONG [:'(][:@] SAVE YOURSELF 10MINS & LEAVE.

A THOUROUGHLY ENJOYABLE 4/5

bad_dancer -> Cheap Day Saver more like (1/6/2011 2:16:31 PM)

I've not seen any other X-Men movies, so it's possible that this film was not aimed at me. But I was hoping, this being a prequel, that it would spark my belated interest. Unfortunately it did the opposite. I loved Vaughan-Goldman's Kick-Ass and the cast for this movie was to die for, but the film is simply dire. I could barely sit through to the end and was surprised to find when I left the screening room that it had only been a little over 2 hours - it felt much longer. The script was terrible - I found myself biting my tongue in order not to shout out the next line sometimes. And it felt like they were trying to cram 3 films into one. I think it should have ended when they got to the big training house - in a Lord-Of-The-Rings-to-be-continued way. The acting and accents were all over the place, nods to the 'future' films in the series were crowbarred in (eg: "Next thing you know I'll be going bald"). It was hammy, forced, badly put together and almost unwatchable for this newcomer to the series. I really did not like this film. But maybe it just wasn't meant for me ..

Billie73 -> MICHAEL FASSBENDER FOR JAMES BOND (1/6/2011 2:50:06 PM)

Move over Daniel Craig there's a new guy in town...(Michael G. Wilson take note). Michael Fassbender IS James Bond. He channels Connery, Dalton, Brosnan (well...he's irish) and he has the acting chops of Craig. Time to reboot (set it in the 60's!!, take it back to its original formula). Ok enough of Bond.

Empire's review is spot on - "a good film". The "kids" let the film down. One can't help feeling embarassed when Holt is on the screen - as well as fly guy and blonde quaterback irritating jock guy (these stock character kids have been done so many times before...and much better. Vaughan is clearly aiming for a large demographic in order to combat this media convergence age). There is also a kid who looks like the long lost brother of Ron Weasley who has one comic moment when he falls while trying to fly from a window. After that he is just plain EMBARASSING...urgh when he does his sonic scream thingy...please don't or i'm leaving the auditorium.

The film, as Empire says, should have solely focused on Charles and Erik, because when these two characters are on the screen the film soars. Bacon is a very good villian (genuinly menacing despite being in Footloose!!) and Jones and Flemyng provide good support (why is a young Fabio in these movie?? Who does his eyebrows????? Did the production spend most of its cost on keeping his hair in good condition?).

Last thing: Did I mention that Michael Fassbender should be James Bond?

Billie73 -> MICHAEL FASSBENDER FOR JAMES BOND (1/6/2011 2:50:38 PM)

Move over Daniel Craig there's a new guy in town...(Michael G. Wilson take note). Michael Fassbender IS James Bond. He channels Connery, Dalton, Brosnan (well...he's irish) and he has the acting chops of Craig. Time to reboot (set it in the 60's!!, take it back to its original formula). Ok enough of Bond.

Empire's review is spot on - "a good film". The "kids" let the film down. One can't help feeling embarassed when Holt is on the screen - as well as fly guy and blonde quaterback irritating jock guy (these stock character kids have been done so many times before...and much better. Vaughan is clearly aiming for a large demographic in order to combat this media convergence age). There is also a kid who looks like the long lost brother of Ron Weasley who has one comic moment when he falls while trying to fly from a window. After that he is just plain EMBARASSING...urgh when he does his sonic scream thingy...please don't or i'm leaving the auditorium.

The film, as Empire says, should have solely focused on Charles and Erik, because when these two characters are on the screen the film soars. Bacon is a very good villian (genuinly menacing despite being in Footloose!!) and Jones and Flemyng provide good support (why is a young Fabio in these movie?? Who does his eyebrows????? Did the production spend most of its cost on keeping his hair in good condition?).

Last thing: Did I mention that Michael Fassbender should be James Bond?

adambatman82 -> RE: (1/6/2011 2:54:18 PM)

Saw it this morning and really enjoyed it. A great summer blockbuster, with a solid cast, Fassbender especially, some great effects (the flying!) and some not so-great effects (Emma Frost!). 3 out of 5.

kanada83 -> XMEN RULLLEEEESSSSSSS (1/6/2011 3:26:46 PM)

They got it soooooo right with this one it is amazing. I cried I laughed I was excited entertained. Fassbender for bond villan not bond. everything about this impressed me, I didn't know Matthew Vaugh could do a movie I would like sooo much. Thank u B singer for the story and for the screenwriters. the casting is gr8 even rose bryne who I find hard to believe sometimes was brill. Fassbender in the bar wow, this is the way comic book movies can be done. this and the batman franchise and the hulk (who matthew vaughn copied in parts of xm:fc ) are my favourites.

kanada83 -> XMEN RULLLEEEESSSSSSS (1/6/2011 3:27:04 PM)

They got it soooooo right with this one it is amazing. I cried I laughed I was excited entertained. Fassbender for bond villan not bond. everything about this impressed me, I didn't know Matthew Vaugh could do a movie I would like sooo much. Thank u B singer for the story and for the screenwriters. the casting is gr8 even rose bryne who I find hard to believe sometimes was brill. Fassbender in the bar wow, this is the way comic book movies can be done. this and the batman franchise and the hulk (who matthew vaughn copied in parts of xm:fc ) are my favourites.

Kirkinator -> EMPIRE got it right (1/6/2011 7:05:00 PM)

Upon first reading the EMPIRE review I felt a certain degree of anger toward the reviewer. It was as if they weren't a fan boy and just tackling it from a bitter critics point of view. But the fact of the matter is, they were exactly right.
The film itself is a definite step up from X3 and Origins but it does seem a bit rushed. Goldman's quick fire script, a style that worked so well in Kick Ass just appears to rush through things. It is, in my opinion too briskly paced, too much was tackled for this one film.
The effects team were clearly pressed for time. Some of the CG looks like it belongs in a straight to DVD release. The submarine plunging toward the beach in particular was very poor.
Let it be known, this was by no means a bad film, just a film that didn't quite reach its potential. I don't wish to be viewed like im attacking it. It does have plenty of merit.
With the exception of January Jones' bland portrayal of Emma Frost all of the performances are fantastic. McAvoy, Bacon and Fassbender in particular are superb. That is of course omitting the fact that Fassbender becomes Irish for the last 20 minutes or so. Another criticism would be the serious lack of screen time for the awesome Oliver Platt. He's one of my favourite 'that guy's' and he is criminally under used.
My highest compliment for this film would be its action sequences. Aside from a few faulty effects shots the action in the film is superb and where the film truly comes alive.
Overall I enjoyed the film but it could have been so much more.

theonering -> (1/6/2011 7:54:12 PM)

Easily a 4 star film. pisses on last stand.

J_BUltimatum -> ex-men!! (1/6/2011 8:48:02 PM)

didn't have high hopes for this and it still managed to disappoint! Macavoy just isn't Xavier and Hoult is quite possibly the worst actor ever! The story was awful and the mutants they chose to be in this installment are the wrong choices... how Havoc is in there above Cyclops is anyones guess. One thing for sure is they definetly rushed this outing and the ad campaign was very poor. Thought Marvel had learned there lesson and were going along the same lines as Thor and the promising Capt. America, which I hope will bring the Marvel universe back on track. Oh Fassbender is the only promising thing in this movie!

echoroom -> First big disappointment of the summer (1/6/2011 9:14:58 PM)

Unfortunately Empire have got this right. Very uneven tone, from dark knight to kids movie. January Jones mutant ability appears to be the power to turn into wood, not diamond. Fassbender and Macavoy are fine, although the formers accent transforms into Irish toward the end of the film. What's so bad about this is you can see how good it his could have been, but it keeps dropping the ball with clunky scenes and poor acting and dialogue.

R W -> RE: X-Men: First Class (1/6/2011 9:33:56 PM)

Director: Matthew Vaughn
Screenwriters: Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn
Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Kevin Bacon, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, January Jones, Rose Byrne

Synopsis
Set in 1962, the telepathic professor Charles Xavier (McAvoy) starts up a school and later a team for humans with mutated abilities, amongst them Erik Lehnsherr (Fassbender). Meanwhile, another group of mutants known as the Hellfire Club have attempts for world domination through the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Review
For over a decade now, we have gotten use to the superhero genre, but back in 2000 when Bryan Singer directed the first X-Men, we were witnessing something new. Following the uber-campiness of Batman and Robin, what Singer brought to the X-Men was a level of seriousness (most notably in its opening sequence featuring a young Magneto living through the Holocaust) with hints of humour. One can’t deny the fact that without Singer’s approach to the superhero film, we wouldn’t have films like Spider-Man or The Dark Knight.

Following the superiority of X2, the franchise took a left turn when it was helmed by Brett Ratner (who directed the majorly-flawed third instalment) and Gavin Hood (who directed the pointless Wolverine prequel). Whilst we wait (or not) for the Wolverine sequel, we get to see the original mutant class who became Professor X’s X-Men, now in the hands of Matthew “Kick-Ass” Vaughn.

What Vaughn (originally going to helm The Last Stand) brings to the series is similar to what J.J. Abrams did for Star Trek. Presenting an almost Batman Begins-styled origin story, we see the evolution of characters we are so familiar with, now played by a fresh and younger cast. Amidst the epic action cleverly presented within the political backdrop within that period, at the centre of the story is the birth of a friendship between Xavier and Lehnsherr, who as we all know what they will become.

Setting the story in the 60s, it shows that the Brit director was influenced by the early Bond films as some of the male characters have swag, while some of the glamorous female figures are in vintage underwear, most notably January Jones as the villainous Emma Frost. Again, the Bond influence shines on certain aspects such as the X-Men’s gadgetry and the Hellfire Club, in terms of their classy looks and dastardly plot involving the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Although there is compelling mutant action, it is not as compelling as the strong characterisation. Previously played by “sir” Shakespearean actors who are heroes within the sci-fi/fantasy fanbase, the two central friends/enemies feel fresh and new through the acting talents of James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender.

McAvoy, in particular, shows a new side to Xavier who we see before being bold and on a wheelchair. During his characterisation, we are introduced to McAvoy’s Xavier as an over-confident and flirtatious young professor who during his time as X-leader realises he has a responsibility which is peace for humans and mutants alike.

As for a pre-Magneto Lehnsherr, Fassbender who not only brings a cool James Bond-like presence, he is a tortured soul whose time during the Holocaust affects his current life whilst he swore revenge on the antagonist Sebastian Shaw. During the course of the film, we see how he became Magneto, similar to how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader, although Hayden Christensen is one for hammy acting, Fassbender’s approach to Magneto is a proper tour-de-force.

Whilst the film is an utter nerdgasm as it has everything you want in a blockbuster (with mutant action, characters in superhero outfits, women wearing fantastic lingerie), there are things that somewhat overshadowed. For example, despite the playfulness of the young class members and the classiness of the villains, the film’s fast pace doesn’t allow for an in-depth exploration on the supporting players. On the plus side, there is a wonderful subplot between Jennifer Lawrence’s blue-skinned Mystique and Nicholas Hoult’s blue-furred Beast whose scenes are about being normal and hiding their actual appearances.

Verdict
While it is not up there with Vaughn’s previous comic-book outing, the impressive young cast, stylish direction and intelligent action are first class and mark a big comeback for a much-rebooted franchise.

tysmuse -> 4 stars (at least) (1/6/2011 9:40:16 PM)

This movie is fucking banging. It has everything. Kevin Bacon and Fassbender are superb, even McAvoy is great!? It has great scenes, a great cameo, terrific soundtrack, and Rose Bryne in her panties! As for complaining about an action movie cause it has pace!? oh bore off Empire

darnoc1962 -> RE: MICHAEL FASSBENDER FOR JAMES BOND (1/6/2011 9:44:29 PM)

a nice simple verdict
x men first class is first class

so much better paced that pirates 126
fasbender is indeed the next james bond

my evening though was slightly tainted by the new utterly appalling film ad
promoting a fench film that will never play at your local multiplex   bring back mr dresden and the orange film commission

hope everyone left the film before the take that song

MonsterCat -> RE: First big disappointment of the summer (1/6/2011 10:22:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: echoroom

Unfortunately Empire have got this right. Very uneven tone, from dark knight to kids movie.January Jones mutant ability appears to be the power to turn into wood, not diamond. Fassbender and Macavoy are fine, although the formers accent transforms into Irish toward the end of the film. What's so bad about this is you can see how good it his could have been, but it keeps dropping the ball with clunky scenes and poor acting and dialogue.

That made me chuckle. [:D] Well done, sir/madame.

Fit Kisto -> RE: MICHAEL FASSBENDER FOR JAMES BOND (1/6/2011 10:22:31 PM)

The characters got very preachy in the second half. Much like how the X-Men comics got bogged down with pat ideology in the 1990's and stopped being much fun to read.

darkhart -> Real X (1/6/2011 10:51:21 PM)

At last we have an X-men film that follows the fast paced, gloves-off kinda action like flicking through a comic. Singers vision has always been lauded as the best, but personally I always felt that his films plodded along and never entered into the true spirit of the X-men comics. Both X3 and Wolverine offered up more quicker paced action with the gloves-off. However finally X-men First Class enters into the true spirit of the X-genre, passing up stilted action scenes and drawn out plots, leaving little time to blink. Thank you Matthew Vaughn, from a guy who read the X-men comics in the 70's.

adambatman82 -> RE: MICHAEL FASSBENDER FOR JAMES BOND (1/6/2011 11:22:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: darnoc1962

my evening though was slightly tainted by the new utterly appalling film ad
promoting a fench film that will never play at your local multiplex   bring back mr dresden and the orange film commission

Are you taking the piss? Did you not understand the joke? Jeez...

SimonSpur -> Three stars? Way off the mark! (1/6/2011 11:58:53 PM)

I loved it! Matthew Vaughan just knows how to make highly entertaining movies. That's all I wanted - and that's what I got.

It smacked of fun and quality. Not "rush and compromise". I usually nod along in agreement with Empire - but I think they're way off the mark with this review.

The cameo (won't spoil it) was worth the ticket price alone.

jamiesouth -> RE: X-Men: First Class (2/6/2011 12:40:33 AM)

just watched X-Men: First Class  - HEED MY WARNING: stay at home this time round, DON'T feed the machine. It is an AVERAGE movie at best. If there is another piece of conformist Hollywood work you want to see that's out, go see that. I beg you, I plead. Neither Mathew -don't know why I didn't drop my normal sense of humor for a couple of hours and direct this project seriously- Vaughn, OR, Bryan -didn't step up to the plate and direct this one, like I did really well on X2, because I am an ESTABLISHED director, and so shouldn't be producing when my directorial efforts have formed the mighty shape of 'The Usual Suspects'- Singer, deserve A SINGLE PENNY of your income. Wait for the DVD. By all means buy that when its only like a fiver. But no. This was NOT a substantial addition to the 'X franchise'. Granted, the last few have been no gleaming examples of cinematic perfection, or even relevant let's face it; but this was a "fresh start"!! A "clean Slate"! ...A "New Hope" if you will !! New director, new context. We were intruiged!! We came. We coughed up about £3 (Thank You Orange). ...We was robbed.

The Actual Problem (On The Whole, not gonna waste time on an unworthy cause, you'll probably see it for yourself):

The thing is. *humph* You see........ What it is, is;.....

I think you SHOULD see it. Then observe Roger Moore's 'Bond'. Then Go back and stare at Fassbender's face. Then back to the 007 film, at the villian, on his yacht, in his 'cool, shiny, secret, but easily discoverable' lair, wherever he may be. Back at 'First Class' now, and into Kevin Bacon's face. Into those eyes. Into those, hollow(man), foot loosin', stir of echoes eyes - & you will know. ...I don't think it's the players' fault that this film mimics 60's espionage films, particualrly the spoof ones; nay, it's probably Vaughn's. When seeking character directtion, he most likely held a photo of Moore up to his own face and said in that smug, smooth, confident, 'brit cool', voice, "Mutant & PROUD". Is it perhaps, a good thing this modern summer blockbuster hollywood turd-baby mirrors, fuck it we're past that, mimics a film with such class?? Such style??? Perhaps no. But here I saught after an action film. If I wanted an action with a silly, youthful sense of humour, I would have gone back and watched 'Kick Ass'. But no. I saught after; modern effects, -got those, granted, got more than I saught after, by the bucket load if I had to wrap it in a a flowery, over-descriptive phrase- intricate back stories, which to a degree yes, in that things followed on, but not as in depth as I saught. And the level of dedication to serious plot progression -without need to seep in an infant sized funny bone- as, well, X2. Damnit Singer!! Where the hell were you?? Calculating the predictions of the global box office take???!!!!

This, AND, I was insulted that Erik Magneto-Face's backstory and obvious underlying pain and reasoning was trying to be sadder Schindler's List and CANCER combined. ...PUPPY CANCER!!!

jamiesouth -> RE: X-Men: First Class (2/6/2011 12:41:28 AM)

just watched X-Men: First Class  - HEED MY WARNING: stay at home this time round, DON'T feed the machine. It is an AVERAGE movie at best. If there is another piece of conformist Hollywood work you want to see that's out, go see that. I beg you, I plead. Neither Mathew -don't know why I didn't drop my normal sense of humor for a couple of hours and direct this project seriously- Vaughn, OR, Bryan -didn't step up to the plate and direct this one, like I did really well on X2, because I am an ESTABLISHED director, and so shouldn't be producing when my directorial efforts have formed the mighty shape of 'The Usual Suspects'- Singer, deserve A SINGLE PENNY of your income. Wait for the DVD. By all means buy that when its only like a fiver. But no. This was NOT a substantial addition to the 'X franchise'. Granted, the last few have been no gleaming examples of cinematic perfection, or even relevant let's face it; but this was a "fresh start"!! A "clean Slate"! ...A "New Hope" if you will !! New director, new context. We were intruiged!! We came. We coughed up about £3 (Thank You Orange). ...We was robbed.

The Actual Problem (On The Whole, not gonna waste time on an unworthy cause, you'll probably see it for yourself):

I think you SHOULD see it. Then observe Roger Moore's 'Bond'. Then Go back and stare at Fassbender's face. Then back to the 007 film, at the villian, on his yacht, in his 'cool, shiny, secret, but easily discoverable' lair, wherever he may be. Back at 'First Class' now, and into Kevin Bacon's face. Into those eyes. Into those, hollow(man), foot loosin', stir of echoes eyes - & you will know. ...I don't think it's the players' fault that this film mimics 60's espionage films, particualrly the spoof ones; nay, it's probably Vaughn's. When seeking character directtion, he most likely held a photo of Moore up to his own face and said in that smug, smooth, confident, 'brit cool', voice, "Mutant & PROUD". Is it perhaps, a good thing this modern summer blockbuster hollywood turd-baby mirrors, fuck it we're past that, mimics a film with such class?? Such style??? Perhaps no. But here I saught after an action film. If I wanted an action with a silly, youthful sense of humour, I would have gone back and watched 'Kick Ass'. But no. I saught after; modern effects, -got those, granted, got more than I saught after, by the bucket load if I had to wrap it in a a flowery, over-descriptive phrase- intricate back stories, which to a degree yes, in that things followed on, but not as in depth as I saught. And the level of dedication to serious plot progression -without need to seep in an infant sized funny bone- as, well, X2. Damnit Singer!! Where the hell were you?? Calculating the predictions of the global box office take???!!!!

This, AND, I was insulted that Erik Magneto-Face's backstory and obvious underlying pain and reasoning was trying to be sadder Schindler's List and CANCER combined. ...PUPPY CANCER!!!

jamiesouth -> RE: X-Men: First Class (2/6/2011 12:42:48 AM)

jamiesouth -> RE: X-Men: First Class (2/6/2011 12:49:26 AM)

i'd just like to point out i havnt seen this film this is my brothers non sensical ranting and raving he could be right for all I know but I dont know I havnt seen it although to be fair to him he seems to have put a lot of thought into what he said

sjmlondon -> Thoroughly enjoyable. (2/6/2011 1:15:25 AM)

Good film, Evenly paced with good story and some great action scenes and special FX. Certainly better than the Last Stand and Wolverine. Michael Fassbender and James Mcevoy are both excellent.

sanjaywrightus -> The X is on fire... sort of (2/6/2011 2:19:52 AM)

Absolutely agree with this review. You nailed it Jolin!

darnoc1962 -> RE: MICHAEL FASSBENDER FOR JAMES BOND (2/6/2011 8:28:08 AM)

yes i did get the joke  however jokes are supposed to be at the very least amusing

the orange ads were fun to start off with and the audience would always laugh at the final punchline  recently there is comeplete silence during them such as rio with maybe 1 titter for theyve turned me orange havent they

this new one nooone laughed at all and i doubt it made anyone even think of seein the movie unlike the a team or gullivers travels

TrendMeUp -> RE: The.......... (2/6/2011 9:29:44 AM)

I've got to say, I agree with the review entirely. Fassbender and Mcavoy were great and that relationship was so fascinating, the film would have served itself better if it had dedicated more time to it and less to the cheesy action scenes. The bit with Banshee and Angel was awful. January Jones was really, very, very bad. Some of the dialogue was shocking. But that central friendship mixed with some witty, light moments and clever set pieces redeemed the film. Good fun, but I highly doubt I'll watch it again.

buttmonki -> I liked it and am starting to lose faith in Empire (2/6/2011 11:08:53 AM)

Okay it wasn't amazing but it was thoroughly good entertainment. I say four stars I really enjoyed it. As for Thor Empire gave that four stars and it truly sucked.

captainrentboy -> RE: X-Men: First Class (2/6/2011 11:27:43 AM)

Three stars is about right.
Whenever Bacon, McAvoy and Fassbender are doing their thing it's all good, sometimes great. But every other character, maybe other than Beast (I actually thought Hoult was pretty good, bringing more of his 'A Single Man' performance than 'Clash Of The Titans') was just a waste of screentime. Either they had a rushed and uninvolving storyline, were shitty actors, or sometimes both. January Jones in particular was absolutely awful. Whilst watching MadMen, I've never really got if she's either acting the part of an emotionally stunted woman brilliantly, or she's just an actress with a limited range. Well this film answered that.
Some good set pieces dotted throughout (Although Azazel's attack on the CIA base still didn't match up to Nightcrawler's in X2) and surprisingly good effects for something that was fairly rushed.
Definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of these comic adaptations, but I'd say lower your expectations slightly because it's a bit all over the place, in both general tone and entertainment value.

Oh, and I'm sorry Mr Ross, but Thor was better than this. [:)]

neillbert90 -> Better than thor (2/6/2011 11:28:40 AM)

Better than Thor, better than Last Stand. So by that logic they are either ranked too high, or this is ranked too low. In my opinion, its too low. Great film, great performances, absolutely storming 3rd act!

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI