RE: The.......... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

MonsterCat -> RE: The.......... (25/5/2011 4:52:13 PM)

Well, don't these huge blockbusters take at least two years to produce? I'm not an expert but to me that's how long these things usually take to make. I remember reading stories about Matthew Vaughan's involvement in the movie around June last year.

EDIT - Oh, Rgirvan - the scourge of the Empire haterz - just answered your question. [:D]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: The.......... (25/5/2011 4:54:53 PM)

Vaughan has been pretty open about the tight deadlines which they were faced with. Don't think that it is a big secret.

film man aidy -> RE: The.......... (25/5/2011 5:14:13 PM)

Whilst I accept that every reviewer has their own opinion, I'm raising my expectations for this one. Empire's *** review seems to fly in the face of all the **** and ***** reviews. I'm normally happy to be guided by Empire, but am hoping they have got it wrong this time...

X-Men ***1/2
X-2 ****
X-Men-The Last Stand **
X-Men Origins Wolverine ***

Bighousewill -> RE: X-Men: First Class (25/5/2011 5:31:48 PM)

I would prefer to watch a decent film this sort of pap doesn't get me going any more tbh I'm not a fan of the X-men films and unless this gets anything more than four stars I'm not interested that much but who knows I might be surprised I read the review after I've seen it. Tbh the x-men films iron man films and Thor films are crap and I want decent films in my Cinema.

Porter -> If you all want cheering up... (25/5/2011 5:54:12 PM)

...read TF's review. They really liked it. Still fancy it myself, but it was never gonna be classic. This is the 5th film in the series (sort of). Always gonna be diminishing returns. Also, how old is Mystique?

Gazz -> RE: The 3-star Standard! (25/5/2011 6:21:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

And then Gazz who thinks a 3 star rating isn't bad. Which I agree with too.

I was confused by this remark until I noticed I share the same name with another.

He shall be my nemesis and we shall fight at dawn.

jackmansgirl -> X-Men: First Class? (25/5/2011 6:31:51 PM)

I'm a bit gutted that Empire (who I usually agree with) aren't raving about the film. Hey ho, will have to see for myself, each to his own and all that.

I think Empire would have been lambasted by someone whatever the review. I guess that's the nature of these forums. As for the 'hype', they are movie lovers just like us, and get excited just like us. I was bouncing off the walls about this film, a little put-out now, but I'm sure I will pep myself up again by cinema-time!

sanchia -> RE: X-Men: First Class? (25/5/2011 6:41:46 PM)

Just think if this had been 5 star. the whole "Empire are corrupt!" "Down with the man!" rubbish would begin anew. [;)]

Anyway I adjourn until I have seen the film.

jackmansgirl -> RE: X-Men: First Class? (25/5/2011 6:46:24 PM)

Exactamundo! [:)]

bounty -> history (25/5/2011 6:48:38 PM)

The reviewer's assertion that "the 60s backdrop is squandered" is misguided. The Civil Rights Movement, whilst active since 1955, hadn't yet reached a mass awareness - the film is set in '62 which was before the March on Washington brought the issue to the masses. I think by concentrating on the Cold War, Vaughn and Goldman establish a clear, very global threat that an audience can easily relate to - the end of the world.

Yes the tone is playful in a Bond meets UNCLE vibe - but this by and large is a comic-book movie that manages to sustain a balanced tone - and most reviewers have quite rightly pointed out it brings the franchise out post-Wolverine gloom.

The film appeared completely anchored on McAvoy and Fassbender - so not sure what the gripe regarding lack of character-driven story is.

If you have more fun in a cinema this summer, you'll be having a good one.

bounty -> history (25/5/2011 6:49:40 PM)

The reviewer's assertion that "the ’60s backdrop is squandered" is misguided. The Civil Rights Movement, whilst active since 1955, hadn't yet reached a mass awareness - the film is set in '62 which was before the March on Washington brought the issue to the masses. I think by concentrating on the Cold War, Vaughn and Goldman establish a clear, very global threat that an audience can easily relate to - the end of the world.

Yes the tone is playful in a Bond meets UNCLE vibe - but this by and large is a comic-book movie that manages to sustain a balanced tone - and most reviewers have quite rightly pointed out it brings the franchise out post-Wolverine gloom.

The film appeared completely anchored on McAvoy and Fassbender - so not sure what the gripe regarding lack of character-driven story is.

If you have more fun in a cinema this summer, you'll be having a good one.

nhassell -> RE: history (25/5/2011 8:42:37 PM)

Bit disappointed with 3 stars, as I was expecting atleast 4, but I am not going to let it ruin my excitement for it, and I shall judge it for myself next Wednesday.

agent cooper -> (25/5/2011 8:46:31 PM)

I've long given up on Empire's review, they gave the admirable but flawed Superman Returns 5 stars and lets not forget their now changed but original reviews of the SW prequels. TF have given it 4 and Collider, Den of Geek etc have raved about it. No doubt Transformers 3 will get a better review and so will Green Lantern, it still looks great to me and I was predicting their score just before I clicked on lt. I like Quantum of Solace but Kim Newmans 4 star reading was far of the mark and they only tried to correct when the DVD arrived, if it had received the same reception of Royale I betr that review wouldn't have changed. They like to corrct themselves after the fact and if this continues with the raves as it has done bar Empire I've no doubt they's bump it up to 4, I guess we'll see anyway.

Dr Quinzel -> I've seen the film and... (25/5/2011 9:42:58 PM)

I have no idea what Empire are on about! Yes, a couple of the special effects look a wee bit unfinished, but I thought it was as good as X1 and 2, and far batter than The Last Stand (which, as I recall, Empire gave 3 stars). The entire cast are brilliant, Fassbender is the stand-out, and yes, while it is a large cast, there's not a bad character amongst them (which is more than can be said for the first trilogy - cough Storm cough).

If Thor got four stars, then this (superior) offering deserves five. My screening received two spontaneous bouts of applause in the middle of the film. Three star films don't get those.

demoncleaner -> RE: X-Men: First Class (25/5/2011 9:46:10 PM)

Well this has really put on a dampener on the whole thing, because now I know nothing in the movie can possibly top the use of "irregardless" in this thread.   That's a summer of entertainment right there.

Wraggsterino -> Loved it!! (25/5/2011 9:53:08 PM)

Ok, some minor gripes aside this is quality entertainment and the fast pace is not a drawback. Ok, so the film tries to cram in loads of other mutants for the sake of the fanboys - but then again, had they done away with one or more of them, there'd have been half the target audience alienated and accusations of Superman Returns style lack of action/adventure/entertainment. Yes, there's a lot to put into one movie (there's even a montage - done to good and 'comic'-al effect I might add) but there's a lot to tell. If you DON'T go from Magneto & Prof X meeting to their inevitable fall-out in the length of one movie it immediately would become a stop-gap and also be accused of setting things up for a sequel. This British written and directed re-boot is brilliantly acted (Fassbender, McAvoy), is full of career-changing performances (Fassbender), by an awesome cast, is funny in places (eerr, hello? Best cameo ever...) and it rocks along at a good pace, across a grand scope and with a genuine threat (nuclear war precipitated by, and threat embodied, by a brilliant Kev Bacon). I can think of only one recent comic book movie interpretation that's done all those things: Batman Begins. We all know what happened with the next installment of that particular saga. Nuff said. 5 stars

Ethanial -> Oh dear (25/5/2011 11:43:06 PM)

This is as close to perfect as an X-Men film will get to.
It's better than X2!, It's on the same playing field as Batman Begins, bringing a much needed level of realism and upping the stakes with it's characters, whilst doing an amazing job in fleshing out the supporting characters, the universe and giving Magneto a lot more than just "I'm grumpy, old, and had a bad experience" asa reason.
Phenomenal.

Darth Marenghi -> RE: The.......... (26/5/2011 1:38:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I've got a feeling this thread is going to be special. Lots of "X-Men 3 got 3 stars too" type outrage.

From the same reviewer too, I notice.

sagent33 -> More of the same from empire (26/5/2011 8:16:23 AM)

I could talk all day of the Empire's inconsistent reviews or their reviews that are not sure what star rating they are meant to be. But i have heard many positive views on this movie and I am looking forward to checking this out this week [:D]

I am not sure how Empire works when it comes to reviewing movies, espeically the big movies that people are dying to find out about. But I would have thought they would send not just one reviewer but a good few to the screening, have them write quick reviews or full reviews on them, then actually sit and establish a consesus on what they think of the movie (afterall they keep refering to themselves as we and not I in the review, yet base it on one reviewers opinion) not saying this is the perfect way of doing, no way is, just ranting a little [&:]

elab49 -> RE: More of the same from posters (26/5/2011 9:02:43 AM)

If you think it's more of the same from Empire how have you managed to miss this being brought up and debunked in virtually every 'big' or fanboy movie review thread in the past 5 or more years? [:D]

A review is an individual opinion, not a committee 'consensus'. And if the committee 'consensus' didn't agree with what you expect, then you'd still just query that anyway.

The only issue here is the review doesn't meet your expectations of what you think it should be. That isn't the reviews fault, and the reviewer doesn't have to agree with you because we're talking about opinions here. And I emphasise the 'think' because, of course, you're choosing to criticise the review without actually having seen the film.

That's fairly common round here too [8|]

BelfastBoy -> RE: More of the same from posters (26/5/2011 11:00:39 AM)

I'm not going to comment on a film I haven't seen yet. However, I am surprised that the review doesn't mention the performances of either Kevin Bacon or January Jones - especially given the latter's eye-catching appearances in so many of the promo shots. I read another review (admittedly, DigitalSpy's) which seemed to suggest that Jones is totally miscast:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/review/a321200/x-men-first-class.html

I do agree with whoever suggested that it's a good idea to review a film 'as is' though, and not in the hope that it'll lead to a better sequel. (Also, what would Jason Flemyng do for work if Matthew Vaughn didn't exist? Is he a mascot like John Ratzenberger is for Pixar?!)

I'm still intending to watch this film, but would imagine that 3* is about right. If this is a true intention of rebooting the franchise (may the Lord strike me down for using that vile phrase!), then it probably falls into the usual trap of trying to cover as many character and plot bases as possible, without being able to realise them all in one go.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: More of the same from posters (26/5/2011 11:30:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

I'm not going to comment on a film I haven't seen yet. However, I am surprised that the review doesn't mention the performances of either Kevin Bacon or January Jones - especially given the latter's eye-catching appearances in so many of the promo shots. I read another review (admittedly, DigitalSpy's) which seemed to suggest that Jones is totally miscast:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/review/a321200/x-men-first-class.html

I do agree with whoever suggested that it's a good idea to review a film 'as is' though, and not in the hope that it'll lead to a better sequel. (Also, what would Jason Flemyng do for work if Matthew Vaughn didn't exist? Is he a mascot like John Ratzenberger is for Pixar?!)

I'm still intending to watch this film, but would imagine that 3* is about right. If this is a true intention of rebooting the franchise (may the Lord strike me down for using that vile phrase!), then it probably falls into the usual trap of trying to cover as many character and plot bases as possible, without being able to realise them all in one go.

Teehee.

elab49 -> RE: More of the same from posters (26/5/2011 11:43:53 AM)

January Jones is the rake in the odd white leather suit, yes? Oh yeah - she so said the character to me [&:]

Flemyng seems to be doing just fine outside Vaughn. 4 films this year, only one is his. 

Rgirvan44 -> RE: More of the same from posters (26/5/2011 11:46:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

January Jones is the rake in the odd white leather suit, yes? Oh yeah - she so said the character to me [&:]

Flemyng seems to be doing just fine outside Vaughn. 4 films this year, only one is his. 

She plays a totally important role, much like her comic book character! Not at all made to stand around half naked, for no purpose!

My biggest hope is that there is an Avengers tribute with the Hellfire Club.

jimoakley666 -> X-Men First Class (26/5/2011 12:26:58 PM)

I'll bet you pounds to pennies, when this comes out on DVD it'll be a four star review. Empire do this quite often. I pay no attention to their star rating system because it's all over the place.

grucl -> RE: X-Men First Class (26/5/2011 12:43:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimoakley666

I'll bet you pounds to pennies, when this comes out on DVD it'll be a four star review. Empire do this quite often. I pay no attention to their star rating system because it's all over the place.

Might that be because another reviewer writes the DVD review (who actually has a different oppinion)?

Whistler -> RE: X-Men First Class (26/5/2011 12:49:47 PM)

Still can't get over how bad those silhouette posters are...

Big_Pants -> (26/5/2011 12:58:07 PM)

Oh 3 stars is a nonsense! While he makes one or two valid points it's so nit picky I want to scream. X-Men First Class is hugely entertaining with some great performances and set pieces. I came out of my screening on Tuesday punching the air!

Big_Pants -> (26/5/2011 12:58:09 PM)

Oh 3 stars is a nonsense! While he makes one or two valid points it's so nit picky I want to scream. X-Men First Class is hugely entertaining with some great performances and set pieces. I came out of my screening on Tuesday punching the air!

Big_Pants -> RE: Oh dear (26/5/2011 1:01:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial

This is as close to perfect as an X-Men film will get to.
It's better than X2!, It's on the same playing field as Batman Begins, bringing a much needed level of realism and upping the stakes with it's characters, whilst doing an amazing job in fleshing out the supporting characters, the universe and giving Magneto a lot more than just "I'm grumpy, old, and had a bad experience" asa reason.
Phenomenal.

What he said! Well apart from the bit about Batman Begins which I think just about equals this and also I find X2 also on the same playing field. But YES X-Men First Class is truly wonderful! McAvoy and Fassbender bring it big time.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI