Epics on Blu Ray (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 11:51:52 AM)

Which are your favourite BDs of epic movies? Or which ones do you recommend. I love a good long movie and on Blu Ray it can be a real experience. I currently have Troy which looks fantastic and has a nice array of extras, Kingdom of Heaven, which again looks amazing but unfortunately is a vanilla release which is a big letdown, The Patriot also looks beautiful on Blu Ray, but only has two short featurettes. I'm not sure if a DVD was released with more special features. Pearl Harbor (one of my favourite movies) is a stunner on Blu Ray. It contains some of the features from previous DVD releases. Out of the above i think Troy is the most comprehensive as it has the great PQ and SQ but also the most substantial set of extras. I'm looking to expand my collection so can you recommend any others? I want to get Gladiator but want to be sure that it's not the first release. I can't remember how to make sure via the packaging that i'm getting the better release.

adambatman82 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 12:40:03 PM)

How The West Was Won is probably my favourite, due to what it does with the format. The Bridge On The River Kwai is pretty special too, as is Doctor Zhivago. I can't wait to see what they do with Lawrence Of Arabia too. The New World is right up there in terms of modern epics for me, with the one film of this ilk that I'd love to see on the format more than any other probably being Heaven's Gate.

If you wanna take a look further in to the world of the Hollywood epic Donovan, you could do worse than checking out my friends book on the subject -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epics-Spectacles-Blockbusters-Contemporary-Approaches/dp/0814330088

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 2:21:50 PM)

Hey Adam i'm glad you said How The West Was Won, I've been eyeing that one. Never seen it, but i love the idea of the story and from a cinematic perspective it sounds glorious! I would definitely check out River Kwai and Zhivago, not so sure about New World, i think it might be too intentionally ponderous for my tastes! [;)]

BTW that book sounds great! I'd love to give it a read, but 30 is a little steep at the mo. Maybe it will go down in price at some point?

adambatman82 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 3:37:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Hey Adam i'm glad you said How The West Was Won, I've been eyeing that one. Never seen it, but i love the idea of the story and from a cinematic perspective it sounds glorious! I would definitely check out River Kwai and Zhivago, not so sure about New World, i think it might be too intentionally ponderous for my tastes! [;)]

BTW that book sounds great! I'd love to give it a read, but 30 is a little steep at the mo. Maybe it will go down in price at some point?

I imagine so, although its an academic text so I'm not really sure. I didn't realise just how pricey it was tbh!

efc91 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 4:10:25 PM)

I bought Gone with the Wind on Blu-ray recently and was really impressed with it. Its the only epic I own on the format but I have pre ordered The Bridge on the River Kwai, which I cant wait for, glad to hear its good. Might pick up Doctor Zhivago as well.

vad3r -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 4:52:45 PM)

[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GvxqaVobL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/image][image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DMwGS-QmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/image]

hampstead bandit -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 8:49:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: efc91

I bought Gone with the Wind on Blu-ray recently and was really impressed with it. Its the only epic I own on the format but I have pre ordered The Bridge on the River Kwai, which I cant wait for, glad to hear its good. Might pick up Doctor Zhivago as well.

Gone with the Wind on HD Blu-Ray = absolutely stunning

I had never seen the film before blind buying the Blu-Ray and damn...its a real treat and a true epic in every sense!

adambatman82 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 9:27:22 PM)

Funnily enough, the Ben-Hur Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray was revealed today -
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6414

[image]http://images.blu-ray.com/news/upload/275.jpg[/image]

directorscut -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 9:28:49 PM)

Why are all the discs DVDs?

adambatman82 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 9:32:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Why are all the discs DVDs?

Because Warner's only put photos of the DVD edition in the press release. Blu-ray set is the same, in terms of whats in the box, albeit with less discs.

directorscut -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (16/5/2011 10:36:33 PM)

Only two discs?  Don't tell me they're going to cram the movie onto one disc.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (17/5/2011 1:28:35 PM)

o i picked up How the West was Won today, will give it a watch later, looking forward to it!

neopol -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (17/5/2011 3:49:30 PM)

The 50th Anniversary Edition of Ben-Hur looks glorious! The before an after shots look very interesting and let's hope that this film gets the Blu-ray release that it deserves... [;)]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (17/5/2011 3:59:46 PM)

Bought The Fall of the Roman Empire on BR this week. It is ok...but obviously not given the love and attention that some of the more popular epics recieve.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (19/5/2011 11:50:43 AM)

I really enjoyed watching How the Weat was Won with the Cinerama feature on disc 2. I wish they had shot more movies this way, it looks incredible. With today's tech you make the join lines completely invisible all the time and im sure they could make the cameras more mobile. Will watch the documentary all about cinerama on the extra features soon.

Timon -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (19/5/2011 11:57:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Bought The Fall of the Roman Empire on BR this week. It is ok...but obviously not given the love and attention that some of the more popular epics recieve.

You see, i was just going to get the standard Special Edition DVD of this.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (19/5/2011 12:10:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

You see, i was just going to get the standard Special Edition DVD of this.

It is a step up from DVD, and you get all the extras. Plus it only cost 7.99 in HMV. El Cid is the same price.

adambatman82 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (19/5/2011 12:17:07 PM)

quote:

I really enjoyed watching How the Weat was Won with the Cinerama feature on disc 2. I wish they had shot more movies this way, it looks incredible. With today's tech you make the join lines completely invisible all the time and im sure they could make the cameras more mobile. Will watch the documentary all about cinerama on the extra features soon.

The documentary is fantastic! It's a feature length film in itself, and something I would have gladly paid full price for!

Glad to hear you liked the Cinerama effect. My local cinema from whence I was a youngster has the only Cinerama screen left outside of the US. They still use it too, playing a film called This Is Cinerama once a month, and hosting The Widescreen Weekend which is a celebration of all thing widescreen. I've seen How The West Was Won projected on to the screen through three projectors on a couple of occasions, and its a wonderful experience. They're looking to bring over The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm next year, which is the only other "real" dramatic feature film shot on the format.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (19/5/2011 6:12:30 PM)

That's so cool. I'm just watching the documentary now. I really think that Cinerama is so much better than the current incarnation of 3D and is a much more exciting cinemtatic possibility IMO. The potential with today's visual FX technology could be a fantastic movie experience. I would love to watch the Cinerama documentaries and the other feature you mentioned. I wish they could give it a resurgence, but i realise that the cost factor would be staggering in terms of fitting out cinemas etc

Spaldron -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (19/5/2011 6:31:12 PM)

Can I assume the Lawrence of Arabia BD will be released in 2013 for the 50th anniversary? That's what Blu-Ray was invented for.

adambatman82 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (19/5/2011 6:32:33 PM)

quote:

That's so cool. I'm just watching the documentary now. I really think that Cinerama is so much better than the current incarnation of 3D and is a much more exciting cinemtatic possibility IMO. The potential with today's visual FX technology could be a fantastic movie experience. I would love to watch the Cinerama documentaries and the other feature you mentioned. I wish they could give it a resurgence, but i realise that the cost factor would be staggering in terms of fitting out cinemas etc

Yeah each screen needs 3 projectors and a team of projectionists to run it properly! I think its a much more immersive experience than 3D, but it does have its faults; it can't handle close-ups for one thing. But yeah, its a great experience.

adambatman82 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (19/5/2011 6:34:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Can I assume the Lawrence of Arabia BD will be released in 2013 for the 50th anniversary? That's what Blu-Ray was invented for.

Yeah its next up from Sony, following last years Bridge On The River Kwai and this years Taxi Driver restorations.

Dpp1978 -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (20/5/2011 12:39:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Only two discs?  Don't tell me they're going to cram the movie onto one disc.

Ben Hur was shot in Ultra Panavision with an aspect ratio of 2.76:1. That means when transferred to the 1.77:1 format of our screens about 35% of the frame will be matted. That means it can be compressed far more efficiently than a film shot in one of the narrower aspect ratios.

How the West Was Won (which I watched again last night in part because of this thread) has a similarly wide aspect ratio, is also very long and fits comfortably on one disc with over 10 gigabytes to spare. It also looks spectacular.

There is no reason to believe that Ben Hur should not be similarly spectacular.

quote:

There were other high resolution wide formats which had a similar effect using large format film and wide angle lenses. Some of the shots in How the West Was Won used one of these: Ultra Panavision and were then converted them to the 3 strip Cinerama format.

Later films advertised as Cinerama such as 2001: A Space Odyssey were shot and projected using one film strip, but designed to be compatible with the deeply curved Cinerama screen.

The period between the early '50s to early '70s was a high point in the presentation of film as a spectacle rather than as casual entertainment. The focus was on high quality presentation, both from a production and a distribution standpoint. The slow decline since then to the homogenised multiplexes we go to today has robbed us of almost all our top flight cinemas, which have either been knocked down; converted into bingo halls; or chopped up into multi screen venues. There are very few places even capable of showing these film as they are supposed to be seen: on a giant screen. Bradford's Pictureville is one, and there are a few more up and down the country; usually in the major cities. Imax screens can do it, but perceived contrast suffers from soft matteing the comparatively wide films on the very tall Imax screens. In short, unless you are lucky enough to live near one, you have to go out of your way and pay through the nose to get to one: something relatively few of us are willing to do.

The sad thing is we are in a second period where the technology to facilitate very high quality movie going experiences is practicable and even desirable. Digital projection and Blu-ray has shown us how bad most cinemas actually were/are.

Modern digital image capture and 4k projection is approaching or by some accounts surpassing 70mm film. All that is wasted if we can only watch the fruits of all that labour on your average sized multiplex screen.

ThunderKat -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (2/6/2011 11:30:49 PM)

I like The Last Samurai; great film on blu. Also Troy, the directors version is really good.
Let's add Alexander: The Final Cut, Kingdom of Heaven (true that theres nothing on the disc, yet the DVD set has some great features) and the 2 disc version of Red Cliff with both movies, WOW!

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (6/6/2011 9:47:07 PM)

I watch The Patriot again the other night, it's truly a fine looking film.

MI Cruise -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (6/6/2011 11:39:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThunderKat

I like The Last Samurai; great film on blu. Also Troy, the directors version is really good.
Let's add Alexander: The Final Cut, Kingdom of Heaven (true that theres nothing on the disc, yet the DVD set has some great features) and the 2 disc version of Red Cliff with both movies, WOW!

bought The Last Samurai recently on blu-ray looking forward to watching it sometime soon.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (19/8/2011 10:07:36 PM)

got and watched Bridge on the Riover Kwai this week. Had never seen it before, absolutely spectacular. Am looking forward to working my way through the extras next

TheGodfather -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (21/10/2011 11:16:49 PM)

The review for The West Side Story blu-ray is up @ dvdbeaver.com

Hood_Man -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (21/10/2011 11:35:44 PM)

I rented Ben Hur on Blu Ray the other week, looks absolutely FAB! That's it as far as my review goes [:D], but the positive reviews are absolutely spot on.

Bloke from Oz -> RE: Epics on Blu Ray (22/10/2011 12:38:17 AM)

Nothing is more epic than The Lord of the Rings trilogy (Detractors go away [sm=tongueout.gif]). You want long viewing? Set aside 3 straight nights, back-to-back, and let Jackson's magic work its wonders.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI