RE: Homeland - US Speed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Erlenmeyer Flask -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (2/11/2011 10:15:08 PM)

It's easily more intelligent than 24.

beebs_ -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (8/11/2011 12:29:44 PM)

Still watching.

Well... What do the polygraph tests yell us? And what the hell is Carrie playing at?

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (17/11/2011 11:08:16 AM)

Still loving this. One of my favourite new shows.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (17/11/2011 1:35:00 PM)

The most recent episode was absolutely superb, especially the final 15/20 minutes. Claire Danes is amazing in this.

beebs_ -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (17/11/2011 2:04:52 PM)

This is the best new show, if not the best show on right now. Can't believe Carrie fucked up like that. I agree with the AV club review when it said it felt forced just to get the plot moving.

I wasn't so impressed with the twist though. It just felt too out there.

Timon -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (21/11/2011 1:08:08 PM)

So I'm up to date on all eps now, but I don't know where the show is going to go.

Assuming that they find and stop Walker in the next 1-2 episodes - where does the show go then? I only ask as it's been renewed for a second season and the story seems pretty standalone.

Will Brody and Carrie be a new two-man anti-sleeper cell team?

The show reminds me of Sleeper Cell - a perfect one season show, then it was greenlit for another and while it was entertaining, it was completely superfluous.

beebs_ -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (12/12/2011 10:58:42 PM)

OK guys...

Just one episode left! Brody??!??!??! He did the right thing playing the "She's a crazy bitch who's stalking me!" card rather than going round and strangling her with a scarf (which we've never see her wear before?!)

Loved this show, looking forward to the finale!

BudBaxter -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (14/12/2011 8:50:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_
strangling her with a scarf (which we've never see her wear before?!)

you did get that she was wearing it to cover up her injuries, not as a fashion statement, right?

[:D]

beebs_ -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (15/12/2011 8:52:23 AM)

Ha! Kind of! But it just looked like a good murder weapon. I knew Brody had to silence her it distract her somehow. I'm a nervous suspicious viewer, what can u say?

I jinx of want Brody to succeed... Just to see how it plays out next season. But! I like Me. Lewis...

Barefoot Doctor -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (19/12/2011 1:50:15 PM)

Spoilers for Homeland 1.12, Marine One

Perfect season finale.

The extra 30/35 minutes really allowed them to go in depth and ratchet up the tension. I watched a preview for the episode last week, and was annoyed because it showed Brody with the dignitaries in the bunker. I assumed that would be in the final moments, but it turned out to be only halfway through. I had no idea where it was going to go from here. I believed Brody was going to blow them all up first time round. And the important thing is, Brody believed it too. It's not important that the bomb didn't go off. What's important is that Brody pulled the trigger. In his mind, he was there, a committed suicide bomber.

But later, he was talked down by his daughter. So has he now backed down, and realised that his family is worth living for? Or does he honestly believe that he can do more damage from the inside?

I'm glad he's still alive. Lewis is astonishing in the role. Maybe it would have been more satisfying if he'd blown everyone up, but then we'd have lost him and the tremendous pairing he has with the similarly brilliant Claire Danes. Those two ARE the show.

If this was 24, Brody would be picked to be the VP to the man running for president, leaving a sleeper agent one step from the White House. But Homeland doesn't seem that type of show. It's more personal. It's about terrorism, sure, and there's plenty of plot twists. But at its heart, it's a character drama about two damaged people.

Again, another difference from 24 - we never find out who the mole is. Maybe we never will.

Captain Black -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (19/12/2011 10:28:51 PM)

I agree; they totally nailed it. I knew it'd be good because one or two of the critics had seen it. And I always like the extra bit of time some shows are given for their last episodes.

On the whole, I think the brilliant thing the show did was given Brody such genuine, strong motivations for what he was doing. It's partially the writing, partially the performance from Lewis. Particularly with this last pair of episodes, I'm going to be gutted when Cranston wins again (not that he's not awesome, just share the awards, y'know?).  The stuff in the bunker was just palm-sweatingly intense, even if I didn't honestly believe he'd end up dead (though like you say, he made the choice to do it, which is important). I think he's re-evaluated what's important to him, which, again, keeps his motivations ambiguous in the future.

And while she sort of got the short shrift in the finale, at least in terms of direct involvement with the plot, Danes is also very good in this. She started off doing what I call 'a lot' of acting -- jittery, never still in the frame -- so when asked to up change things later in the season, she varied those levels well as she went through her various stages of despair and mania.

Finally, I'll have to watch it again, but I thought when Virgil was attempting to distract the CIA security guys didn't he ask if one of them was Benton? Given that it's David Marciano - Due South shout out? Nah, don't tell me, I want to believe that's true so I'll leave it there.

Barefoot Doctor -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (19/12/2011 10:56:44 PM)

If Lewis and Danes both received Emmy's, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Worthy winners.

Seems the finale has come in for a fair bit of criticism online. Many feel it was a copout to have Brody not go through with the bombing. But if he had, what would next season have been? Better to keep the core of the show intact and focus on that rather than do what 24 did, always trying to outdo itself with ridiculous plot followed by ridiculous plot. That's the difference for me. 24 was plot driven, and Homeland is character driven. Both are worth watching, but what one do you go back to? For me it'll always be the one that prides itself on being a character study rather than one that, once you know the twists, has little else going for it except a few strong performances.

As for the Due South reference, you might be right! Never clicked.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (20/12/2011 12:32:21 PM)

This has been an excellent show, my favourite new one this year actually. I like the fact that Brody couldn't go through with it and I didn't think it was a copout at all. He did shoot Walker, after all.

And poor, poor Carrie. I wonder which way they're going to go next year....

Captain Black -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (20/12/2011 1:17:28 PM)

I assume that the electro shock treatmant is enough of an excuse for Carrie to taken back into the CIA. If not, she's hanging around in a serveillance van with Virgil. Which would still be pretty good TV.

Surely it's waaaay more interesting to have Brody in position than to have him just detonate the explosive and for the surviving characters to deal with the aftermath?

beebs_ -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (20/12/2011 1:40:36 PM)

See... Er... I was disappointed.

It was great until it got stupid when the bomb didn't go off. I know Damian Lewis is great and all but it seemed such a cop out. I wanted so badly for Carrie to be proved right. I found it extremely cheesy when Dana talked her daddy down. I also don't get what the hell kind of influence Brody will actually have in politics. So Nasir may have an inside man? How will Brody steer/shape policy?

I really hated Carrie being put in a position where she felt the only way forward was to have electro-shock therapy. I thought the Issa memory hook thing was pretty cheap.

Ok... It sounds like I totally hated it. I didn't. The tension was high up until the bomb failure. I love Virgil. I think the show was 95% great and I want see how they can write themselves out of the Carrie being sacked corner.

I guess after Boardwalk not pussying out I wasn't expecting it from the best show of the year. We still apparently have the CIA mole so there was more to investigate without the copout move.

Shame I have to wait 9 months to get ant answers...

Snowth -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (20/12/2011 2:07:52 PM)

I think that the bomb going off would be the real copout. The bad guys who killed a bunch of kids would have got their comeuppance and the traditional hero would have been vindicated. Straightforward TV as usual. Using the bomb as a mid-episode means of exploring the characters and moving them forward, rather than as a central threat, was very consistent with a show that has been about those two broken characters rather than big noisy situations.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (20/12/2011 2:31:23 PM)

quote:

I guess after Boardwalk not pussying out I wasn't expecting it from the best show of the year. We still apparently have the CIA mole so there was more to investigate without the copout move.

You see, I don't think it did pussy out. I think it would have been a copout if the bomb did go off like I expected it to. I was actually shocked that they didn't go that way, to be honest.

beebs_ -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (20/12/2011 2:48:21 PM)

There is always going to be a bad guy, Carrie works/ed for the CIA. Brody is a great/interesting character. I think its easier for then to keep him around as he's so good. So angst-wise, yeah, great for him. Realistic plotwise? Meh? I feel like they've bent over backwards to take Carrie out of the loop that she needs to be in to make a difference? I can live without seeing Brody sneak off to talk to he's terrorist best mate after hanging out with the vice president. All this so we can see how adjusts to life with the family again. I might have limited imagination but I don't see how much they can get from the "inside man" development.

You know what? Maybe its the way they had Brody fail the mission that's bugging me. But the conclusion of the bunker situation... It reminded me of the other awkward/odd rather convenient mistake/failure, Carrie mentioning Brody's favourite brand of tea. Really? Is that how we're gonna move the plot forward? Clumsy.

I really hope they kill off Brody by mid season 2. Don't drag it out. Move the plot forward...

Sumintelligentguy -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (29/6/2012 9:44:20 PM)

quote:

See... Er... I was disappointed.

It was great until it got stupid when the bomb didn't go off. I know Damian Lewis is great and all but it seemed such a cop out. I wanted so badly for Carrie to be proved right. I found it extremely cheesy when Dana talked her daddy down. I also don't get what the hell kind of influence Brody will actually have in politics. So Nasir may have an inside man? How will Brody steer/shape policy?

I really hated Carrie being put in a position where she felt the only way forward was to have electro-shock therapy. I thought the Issa memory hook thing was pretty cheap.

Ok... It sounds like I totally hated it. I didn't. The tension was high up until the bomb failure. I love Virgil. I think the show was 95% great and I want see how they can write themselves out of the Carrie being sacked corner.

Shame I have to wait 9 months to get ant answers...

Only just finished watching this after chain watching it the last 2 days and I agree with everything Beebs has said.

I was willing for the bomb to go off (i'm not a terroist, I swear[:D]). I wanted the writers to be brave enough to follow through with an idea and not just cop out to make room for a second season. I was hooked when I found out that Walker was merely a sniper to get Brody into the holding room without the worry of the metal detectors. And was tense right up until the second time he was going to detonate the bomb - the his stupid annoying daughter comes along. What a cheap way to eradicate the problem.

The scope for next season is vast, especially with Brody in Office, and yet it took them years to plan the attack - how long will it take for them to plan another?

A brilliant first season apart from the final 20 minutes.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (8/10/2012 5:09:29 PM)

Just saw epsiode 2 of season 2. It's certainly getting into gear after a relatively slow start last week and the final scene is a bit of a doozy. Lookign forward to next week

Sway -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (10/10/2012 5:03:23 PM)

Right, it's been doing my head in, and IMDB doesn't seem to be helping me....

What's the name of the actor who has been helping Saul in Beirut (I think he was in S1 too maybe?) and in this week's episode had to help save Carrie from the men that were shooting her?

I can't even remember his character name!

Edit Nevermind, found it. He's in Generation Kill which is why I recognised him so much.

musht -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (10/10/2012 7:51:04 PM)

I don't believe for one second that a congressman would've been allowed into the situation room let alone keep his phone on him.

But boy was that an ending!! Can't wait for next week, shit just got interesting

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (10/10/2012 9:57:52 PM)

Have to agree with you - After the amnesia ending to the first series and a lackluster 1st episode I wondered how they were going to tense it up...

Now We just have to get Saul to go all inigo montoya and we're in for a hoot

Sway -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (23/10/2012 12:56:04 PM)

Doesn't seem to be much people watching this at US speed this time. Am I right in thinking the US is only one week ahead of the UK one this year?

Anyway I get really frustrated by Carrie and her complete stubborness sometimes. You knew immediately when she went for a drink she was going to fuck the whole thing up. I mean I know usually her stubborn actions in the past have led to positive outcomes (like going into the apartment in Beirut to grab more evidence), but this was just really irritating. Instead of letting Brody lead them to his contacts and working their way up the chain to find Nasir, she had to go and indulge her own emotions and has now ruined the whole operation.

Be interested to see where it goes from here.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (23/10/2012 3:14:00 PM)

I did rather like her fuck you moment at the end of that episode.

I want to know if Nasir killed Saul's father. That would be amusing.

musht -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (23/10/2012 10:03:38 PM)

Wow!!

I really thought they'd drag the surveillance of Brody out for a lot longer, I'm glad they didn't would've been a total rehash of season 1. Really looking forward to see where they take it from here.

blackduck -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (24/10/2012 11:04:15 AM)

really loving the second series. Wasn't expecting them to move the story along so quickly, I'm guessing he becomes a double agent.

The only gripe have is the daughter becoming a central character, really don't care about which boyfriend she picks, I assume they're building her up so they can endanger her later in the run.

beebs_ -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (24/10/2012 4:35:39 PM)

I'm US speeding it!

As you can see upthread I wasn't totally satisfied with the conclusion of the first season. But the won me back when they had Saul find the suicide video. excellent! And in episode 2?!

Then having Carrie back in the field, running around doing crazy shit... Oh boy. It was bad enough in Beirut. When I saw her just sitting there on the chair at the bar thinking... I was thinking "Where's Virgil! Pick her up and carry her out the hotel!?" And then switching on Brody in the hotel room! Mental! Intense! Great!

They're moving so fast. What's Estes gonna say? Brody must die soon right?

Bring on next week.

Sway -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (5/11/2012 9:10:56 PM)

So somewhat unsurprisingly, Carrie is still far too emotionally attached to a man who has admitted to being a terrorist. I don't know why she's doing this to herself. Too many people already mistrust her sense of judgement and her unpredictability, yet you can see she's still hankering after a piece of the tangerine machine.

Brody is getting more and more caught up in a web of lies between different parties, he's going to start forgetting who he's said what to.

Interesting scene at the tailor's shop - Quinn caught on too late after Carrie's tip off, their back up was too late.

Getting a bit bored with Mike pursuing the Tom Walker thing, but I get it - Brody is facing pressure from every angle. Wonder how long until he breaks?

Rinc -> RE: Homeland - US Speed (7/11/2012 6:09:33 PM)

I agree, Carrie is far too hysterical and in love with Brody. How long can the powers that be forget Carrie's flaws because of her hunches?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Interesting scene at the tailor's shop - Quinn caught on too late after Carrie's tip off, their back up was too late.

Great scene, although I knew as soon as all the cops were down that they certainly weren't all dead. Really like Quinn.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Getting a bit bored with Mike pursuing the Tom Walker thing, but I get it - Brody is facing pressure from every angle. Wonder how long until he breaks?

I reckon it's going to get back to the terrorists that Brody is working for the CIA. I can't see how it won't now that Gazelle has told Mike and he's going to keep digging.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
7.714844E-02