Parallel Supermen In The Works? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Parallel Supermen In The Works? (31/3/2011 8:56:12 AM)

Post your comments on this article

JIm R -> RE: Sounds horrible... (31/3/2011 9:46:36 AM)

This sounds like the greatest example of 'pissing on your own doorstep' that ever existed.

jobloffski -> RE: (31/3/2011 11:59:19 PM)

EDIT: several posts seem to be missing from this thread (due to the spammers, yes?) so the posts I was responding to are no longer here. Basically, they questioned the ability of average joe to tell the difference between the continuity of Batman/Superman films and any parallel projects using different actors as the heroes...

You guys know how marketing works, right? And how much money studios devote to it?

Warner Brothers only have to buy the level of publicity they need to, in order to establish the idea that the 'team up' movie is one thing and the individual movies are their own thing.

We can bitch as much as we want about details of this, that and whatever, but most of the money such movies earn comes from people whose sole reason for seeing them is the promotional campaign the studio conducts.

Warners say, loud enough, often enough, there are the 'hero' movies and the 'mash up' movies, via column inches, TV spots, posters, etc specifically selling that point, and all the internet bitching in the virtual world counts for nothing.

jobloffski -> RE: (1/4/2011 12:09:21 AM)

Edited, to add an egotistical 'here's what you should do to make this work Warner Brothers, cos I rock, 'n stuff' type ending...

The difference between Marvel and WB/DC is other than the goal to establish the brands/crossover brands Marvel have NOTHING. And if anything, the Marvel showing so far is good enough motivation to make WB run like hell from doing the same thing.

There's only so many superhero movies the mainstream crowd (the main source of geek movie income) can stand at any one time.. If Marvel had any brains at all, they'd have launched an Avengers movie off the back of of Incredible Hulk and Iron Man and planned spin off movies for the the other Avengers on the back of a hit Avengers film.

It's a shame Marvel are SO focused on the crossover potential they have long ago seemingly forgotten to make the properties they hope to cross over into good enough movies to justify the end game.

I've got no interest in Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America or the Avengers movie, and unless the reviews for Iron Man 3 are about how it;s impossible to believe a film could be so much better than anyone thought possible, I'm off the bandwagon there too,

And I'm geeky as fuck. But you can only get your fingers burned so often before you stop sticking them in the fire.

Here's a suggestion to make JLA work: Make it a parallel universe story, publicise it as a parallel universe story. Use a parallel universe plot. Then use the Batman and Superman from a parallel universe to do what they do in the story, justfying within story the different casting/look/behaviour of the hero figures.

Hell, even hint within the film that's the reason for all the different takes on the Batman/Superman we've seen and will see... and thereby have a cheeky artistic justification for how the stories keep getting re-interpreted, and you can then also, if the casting of Batman in JLA really really works, have a ready made new Bruce Wayne/Batman from a parallel universe that wouldn't be seen in JLA but ready to be seen in the next Batman film, and perhaps set before the JLA movie so that continuity/crossovers can be built over time, or ignored as appropriate to whatever story is being told at whatever time

Adsyboy -> Could be good! (7/4/2011 6:28:56 PM)

...it probably won't be, obviously. But if they're going to go ahead and make this then it's clearly gonna have nothing to do with the new Supes or Bats. So why not get Brandon Routh back as Superman and Michael Keaton back as Batman! That I would pay to watch, just for fun. I know Keaton's knocking on a bit now, but they can work wonders in Hollywood these days. If they're gonna make this heap of shit, that's the way to do it!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
6.298828E-02