Wake Wood (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Wake Wood (22/3/2011 12:59:05 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Lingdada -> Delirious Direction? (22/3/2011 12:59:05 PM)

Direction and suspense seems to be sorely lacking from this clip?

trouserpress -> (23/3/2011 1:55:58 PM)

Sorry Kim, but shouldn't that be "riff" not "rife"?

trouserpress -> (23/3/2011 1:56:00 PM)

Sorry Kim, but shouldn't that be "riff" not "rife"?

BatSpider -> Breath of fresh air (3/4/2011 2:46:42 PM)

A real creeper, very gory, and there is stuff here that IS ORIGINAL. Very difficult premise to get right, and everyone involved did a brilliant job in making it convincing as possible. The Wicker Man is a template, and tho smaller in scale this almost lives up to that classic. This movie deserves to be seen by a large audience. Unless you're an animal lover - WTF was up with all the animal-bashing??

BatSpider -> Breath of fresh air (3/4/2011 2:46:43 PM)

A real creeper, very gory, and there is stuff here that IS ORIGINAL. Very difficult premise to get right, and everyone involved did a brilliant job in making it convincing as possible. The Wicker Man is a template, and tho smaller in scale this almost lives up to that classic. This movie deserves to be seen by a large audience. Unless you're an animal lover - WTF was up with all the animal-bashing??

Dave T -> RE: Breath of fresh air (20/10/2011 7:20:49 PM)

Saw this today and thought it was pretty good. Do you think its significant that the lead female bore a striking resemblance to Kate McCann aside from the cold, dead eyes?

Herr Schnitzel -> RE: Breath of fresh air (21/10/2011 11:45:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave T

Saw this today and thought it was pretty good. Do you think its significant that the lead female bore a striking resemblance to Kate McCann aside from the cold, dead eyes?

No, I don't.

I usually like this sort of film, but I thought this was rather poor, with an unconvincing performance from the girl, which rather ruins the premise and potential to scare. Grumpy faced moppets don't scare me much. Compare that to the genuinely chilling performances by the young actresses in Orphan and Case 39. While the parents may have been deranged with grief, even then I thought they behaved like idiots and the way they went about it all made me feel they only deserved what they had coming. It's a shame to see the always excellent Aidan Gillen wasted in a poor film.

The setting setting was reminiscent of The Wicker Man, but much of the plot so much a rip off of Stephen King's Pet Semetary, he would have a good case if he sued.

blaud -> Folksy And Unnerving (7/2/2012 10:58:00 PM)

Feeling very much like a certain Stephen King story (but then again, what horror these days doesn't?), Wake Wood is a folk horror with tongue placed firmly in cheek throughout the duration. Much like Drag Me To Hell, it's exciting, enjoyable stuff, and most definitely grips from the morbid, upsetting off, all the way up until the bittersweet finale. The cast does an excellent job, and Timothy Spall's performances is superb as he takes on the role of a mysterious occultist chief. It's not perfect however, there are a few occasions when the story feels rather rushed rather than built up, and if there was a bit of extra time added to the introductory prologue, we may care about the characters a little more throughout the film. For the most part, however, Wake Wood is great; dark, unsettling, and rather a lot of fun.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI