The Hobbit Starts Shooting Today (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> The Hobbit Starts Shooting Today (21/3/2011 8:43:18 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Gigolo Joe -> RE: 3d movies? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (21/3/2011 5:34:26 PM)

Even worse for 3D haters - The Vue cinema in Islington (normally good quality screens) has recently been projecting a really noticeable colour fringe to every edge on screen in 2D. It looks like looking at a 3D image without your glasses but much less extreme.

This totally ruined when I saw Inception for the 1st time - enough to make me walk out and complain to the manager. This guy took it really personally any suggestion there was anything wrong and refused to take a look. He kept saying that he and the projectionist were professionals and that there's nothing wrong with their equipment.

I gave up - but asked separately one of the staff why their bigger screens are so fucked and they admitted that they have indeed gone digital 3D only - with 2D films going through the same projector - and that they have received numerous complaints..

They'll never admit it but these people are literally killing the cinema! This sort of thing leaves me cold and I haven't been to any cinema since. I never thought it would come to this but I now enjoy watching films at home more. There doesn't seem any point to cinemas any more. They're all homogenized chain multiplexes, the managers don't even try, the staff don't give a shit, but the real killer is digital projection and 3D.

If I'm watching exactly the same image - or worse - as I can on a home projector there's no reason to go out. A film print has an inherent quality - warts and all - you lose the unique quality and experience of organic print grain, dust, the occasional pops and scratches and the almighty 'cigarette burns' when you have pixel perfect digital projection. The less said about 3D - the better.

Spaldron -> RE: Shrinking Jackson (21/3/2011 5:41:38 PM)

There were two sets in LOTR a human scale and hobbit scale. Chances are the same will apply here, PJ just decided to be pictured in the human scale one.

BikerScout -> @Gigolo Joe RE: 3D & cinema (21/3/2011 5:51:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gigolo Joe

They'll never admit it but these people are literally killing the cinema! This sort of thing leaves me cold and I haven't been to any cinema since. I never thought it would come to this but I now enjoy watching films at home more. There doesn't seem any point to cinemas any more. They're all homogenized chain multiplexes, the managers don't even try, the staff don't give a shit, but the real killer is digital projection and 3D.

If I'm watching exactly the same image - or worse - as I can on a home projector there's no reason to go out. A film print has an inherent quality - warts and all - you lose the unique quality and experience of organic print grain, dust, the occasional pops and scratches and the almighty 'cigarette burns' when you have pixel perfect digital projection. The less said about 3D - the better.

I'm in complete agreement with you on this.

Since I upgraded my home cinema system last year, the comfort of the sofa, the lack of other people kicking your seat & fiddling with mobiles (which always seem to have displays brighter than the Sun...) is more often than not how I watch films these days. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Personally I'm excited for The Hobbit and even moreso that PJ is at the helm which I think will add that consistency that really needs to carry through from the LotR trilogy.

And not to be rude, vankinsok, but without having seen a trailer or any pictures of actors in costume saying the casting choices are disappointing is a bit premature, donchathink?

Spaldron -> RE: who cares ??? (21/3/2011 6:30:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jokerpoker123

its filming then itís not, on then off again this has been going on for ages. And now its finally being made. But to be honest I don't really care anymore, I bet something bad will happen down the line which will stop filming like Peter Jackson dies or something. I'm not going to read any more about the production of the hobbit until it is released. Which will probably be at the end of middle earth: p

You're a massive tw*t.

jokerpoker123 -> RE: @Gigolo Joe RE: 3D & cinema (21/3/2011 10:14:32 PM)

you should come to my local cinema there is never anyone there just me most of the time (its great living in a ghost town), and they still show films in 2D aswell as that shitty 3D stuff if thats what really floats your boat.

BelfastBoy -> RE: http://www.fullmalls.com/ (22/3/2011 10:14:56 AM)

Christ, what happened to this thread? It started out OK, before being hijacked by double-posting pessimistic idiots and the inevitable clothing spammers!

Back on topic: while I'm excited that Hobbit filming has finally begun, I'm indifferent to the fact that it'll be in 3D. We all know this is just a transparent money-milking measure for the studios, so there's no point in retreading this. It's also a bit depressing to know that the first film is still basically a year and a half away from the cinemas. When can we expect a trailer at least, in about a year's time? (When does Comic-Con happen? The world and his mother seems to go there now.)

Ten years ago I used to go to OneRing.net every day in the hope of getting new information and spy photos from the LOTR films. I'm excited again at having something hopefully great to look forward to, that isn't a remake, sequel or superhero movie. I've full faith in Jackson's ability to recreate the old magic, so here's hoping...

rosiedoes -> 3D = no viewings for me. (25/3/2011 5:07:17 PM)

Really, really frustrated and disappointed that they're filming in 3D, as that medium gives me migraines and has so far done nothing for any of the films I've seen use it. The Hobbit doesn't need fancy effects beyond those that enable the story to be told and the world to be created. Anything more is redundant, short-sighted and foolish.

I saw FotR something like 16 times at the cinema. Unless I can get to a 2D viewing, I won't be watching this at all.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI