RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs

great_badir -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (8/4/2011 8:04:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee
True...but why does he have to be so bad in them?

Well, what's the point of working too hard if you know what you're in is shit and it's just paying the bills (rhetorical)?  I guess.

I mean Michael Caine, a great actor, admits to and is well known for being in all sorts of crap, and not trying particularly hard, if he needs a bit of quick and easy cash.  Every bad film he's done has been a house for a member of his family, or a new car or something.

st3veebee -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (8/4/2011 11:14:00 PM)

Your absolutely right: Caine often admits in interviews what usually sways his inclination to take a role is where it is set; at least he is honest I suppose

For the most part I suppose I don't care but there are certain projects that could have been classics only to become forgetful turds because the main actor has no interest in anything but the cheque. That kind of disregard is just insulting to the audience, and it isn't going to change anyday soon either.

WIth that; actors who phone it in too often annoy me (especially when they can be occasionally incredible) I cannot blloody stand

-

TheSpleen -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (11/4/2011 11:09:48 PM)

A few that i doubt will shock that many people

James Corden
Shia Lebouf

These may get me some backlash but... ugh.

Jack Black
Will Smith
Jeremy Piven
David Tennant

bid red mcneil -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (14/4/2011 2:30:12 PM)

james franco - i just dont get what the fuss is about, thought he was average in spiderman

DaveNewman18 -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (17/4/2011 11:51:44 PM)

[image]http://www.rickey.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/dan-radcliffe-06-2007-01-31.jpg[/image]

darth silas -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (14/5/2011 7:22:59 PM)

[image]http://images.askmen.com/specials/2007_top_49/men/jonathan_rhys_meyers.jpg[/image]

CUNT.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (14/5/2011 7:38:03 PM)

[image]http://www.eurweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Will-Smith.jpg[/image]

SMUG JUG-EARED WANKER

Spaldron -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (15/5/2011 2:43:15 AM)

[image]http://m.popstar.com/Celebrities/A/Seann_William_Scott.jpg[/image]

nvh1982 -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (15/5/2011 6:13:38 PM)

Glad Im not the only one who doesnt like Matthew McConeghy (cant even be arsed looking up spelling!) also Sandra Bullock gets on my goat and James Corden IS NOT FUNNY!

Swedle -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (10/6/2011 10:59:48 PM)

nic cage. NIC EFFING CAGE. have you EVER seen him act? properly? i've seen him act like a complete idiot. A LOT.

Deviation -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (11/6/2011 3:12:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swedle

nic cage. NIC EFFING CAGE. have you EVER seen him act? properly? i've seen him act like a complete idiot. A LOT.

I did. Quite a few times.

andrewmac1 -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (11/6/2011 8:22:09 AM)

Johnny depp
Brad pitt and
Bruce willis

threshold -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (11/6/2011 10:05:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bid red mcneil

james franco - i just dont get what the fuss is about, thought he was average in spiderman

Everyone thought he was average in spiderman.
People think James Franco is good because of other stuff.
For me it's this guy:
[image]http://www.moviemoles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/leonardo-dicaprio-acor.jpg[/image]

gazpop -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (11/6/2011 3:48:56 PM)

I guess it's ok to not like certain actors, for ANY damn reason u choose; this thread only asks you to tell us who you can't stand. But when you start telling us that Johnny Depp, Nicolas Cage, DD Lewis (he lets me call him that, ok?), Matt Dillon and Brad Pitt can't act, well, I think I detect the green eyed one making an appearance. Any coincidence they aint ugly? Prob not actually...

I've not spent too much time thinking as to my reasons why I like one person and dislike another. I have always forgiven so many actors their shit stuff becasue they have given us one real gem. A work of genius that leaves you scratching your head as to how they made the piece of shit currently in cineplexes.

Hell, it may just be genetic. For example, I have started following Dev around cos he is good copy. Some of what he says is classic, genius and just so damned RIGHT. Of course Eastwood would out-stare John Wayne before The Duke even got a punch in. But some of what he says makes me want to hurt him. And go on hurting him. If we met I think I might want to garotte him (it's not a her is it? I'm sure it's not. But I have been offline the last 6mths or so and have subsequently forgot). Same goes for actors I guess.

What's that? Who do I hate? No-one really. I'm not a hater. Except Martin Lawrence. Grrrrrr. And more grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! As for James Corden? Did someone suggest he was an actor? Don't make me laugh. Also that tit from Soldier Soldier and the fishing shows that someone else posted earlier. Man, what I wouldn't do for a threshing machine.....and HE'S not an actor really either. We've all been on The Bill. It does not an actor make!

Emyr Thy King -> Branded a "twat" (17/6/2011 12:02:59 PM)

As your post when quoted includes Deviation's name at the top, I take it you mean he and not Dev Patel or Devin Faraci? Not expecting this mini-rant sir!

I know he's not really an actor and I think the only thing's he qualified for is testing the sharpness of the latest Stanley knife. However, I loathe Russell Brand. Good thing he's buggered off to the U.S.A.

One has to love what Ian Hislop said of one of his gormless titled books:

"My Booky Wook" -  "335 dismal, masturbatory pagey-wages."  (Ian Hislop, Have I Got News For You )

gazpop -> RE: Branded a "twat" (17/6/2011 12:10:45 PM)

Tish tish sir, tis not a rant. Barely even a semi-rant. I'm sure Dev wasn't offended. I doubt I have the ability nor intelligence to truly offend Dev. Swords might. Maybe Elab. But not I.
As for Brand, well, he really is marmite isn't he? I haven't seen Arthur but I assume (possibly incorrectly) that he is merely playing himself. But didn't Dudley too? I have a lot of time for Brand as a stand up. I wait for The Tempest with baited breath. Or was that a dream I had? Is he in The Tempest? Or am I getting confused cos our Helen is in that too?

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Branded a "twat" (17/6/2011 1:16:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

Tish tish sir, tis not a rant. Barely even a semi-rant. I'm sure Dev wasn't offended. I doubt I have the ability nor intelligence to truly offend Dev. Swords might. Maybe Elab. But not I.
As for Brand, well, he really is marmite isn't he? I haven't seen Arthur but I assume (possibly incorrectly) that he is merely playing himself. But didn't Dudley too? I have a lot of time for Brand as a stand up. I wait for The Tempest with baited breath. Or was that a dream I had? Is he in The Tempest? Or am I getting confused cos our Helen is in that too?

Well if I said I wanted to garrote someone, I'd certainly be on the rant express sir. [;)]

Although I can see that perhaps you only wanted to tickle his hind rear rather than lasso him into strangulation. Brand is probably the real-life personification of the insufferable Roger Greenberg character played by Ben Stiller in the eponymously named "Greenberg" (1). I just don't find him funny. His pretentious faux-intellectual speak he sometimes uses just makes me want to tie several large tomes from the English language  to his feet and dump him off the chalky cliffs of Dover. Yes he's in "The Tempest" with (Dame) Helen Mirren, Chris Cooper, Tom Conti (!) and others. I can't imagine Brand being a patch on Dudley Moore, he doesn't have half his talent. Even if he played him on his knees he'd still be dwarfed by Dudley. You are right about him being "Marmite", atlhough not the sort you spread across your toast but the kind that gets dumped in the Thames.

1. See Mark Kermode's verdict of the film:

BBC Five Live

Hilarious!

gazpop -> RE: Branded a "twat" (17/6/2011 3:27:05 PM)

With all due respect Emyr, I don't think he's faux anything. I honestly believe what you see is what you get. He has been honest and forthright in all interviews I have seen him in. He doesn't hide his past but neither does he glamorise it. It is what it is and if he can use it to comic effect so be it. His problem is that he looks like how he looks, more than anything else. People often (and I'm not saying you old bean) make their mind up before hearing him out. And mistake his wit and erudition with pseudo pomposity and a mistaken belief in himself. Anyway, I shan't go on (gazpop fancies russell gazpop fancies russell etc) but I implore you to watch one of his stand up shows. If you still think he's a twat, fair play. Fuck, maybe he is. But I defy you to tell me he's not a funny fucker!

gazpop -> RE: Branded a "twat" (17/6/2011 3:29:39 PM)

And where is his review of The Tempest on the link you included?

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Branded a "twat" (17/6/2011 3:43:04 PM)

I'll have to decline your kind offer, my dear fellow. He clearly entertains a certain part of the population and that's fine. I just find the guy an unrepentant twat of the highest order. It's not his appearance alone but the entire 'brand' that he's cultured. He might be able to arrange archaic words in a certain order but I won't qualify that as erudition or cleverness. I think someone along the likes of Kenneth Williams had a far more cutting and intelligent tongue than Brand and even he wasn't liked by everyone. Although calling Michael Parkinson a "northern nit" was pretty comical. I've seen enough of Mr. Russell Brand to make my mind up and if I force myself to watch more of him; I'd probably end up smashing glass over my head and stabbing myself. I will say that for you he may not have glamourised his life but he's written some 'booky wookies' about them and one can't help but feel this is cashing in to an extent. I think any guy who whinges and moans about the abuse they suffered and how lonely they felt due to shagging countless women is going to get right up my nose. We'll have to differ on this one mate.

The review isn't of "The Tempest" but of "Greenberg". Seeing as I compared him to Mr. Brand and there's a hilarious rebuke of it by Mark Kermode. I thought I'd include it here for your viewing pleasure. I included the link in my original post, it's "BBC Five Live" (click).

gazpop -> RE: Branded a "twat" (17/6/2011 4:10:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

I'll have to decline your kind offer, my dear fellow. He clearly entertains a certain part of the population and that's fine. I just find the guy an unrepentant twat of the highest order. It's not his appearance alone but the entire 'brand' that he's cultured. He might be able to arrange archaic words in a certain order but I won't qualify that as erudition or cleverness. I think someone along the likes of Kenneth Williams had a far more cutting and intelligent tongue than Brand and even he wasn't liked by everyone. Although calling Michael Parkinson a "northern nit" was pretty comical. I've seen enough of Mr. Russell Brand to make my mind up and if I force myself to watch more of him; I'd probably end up smashing glass over my head and stabbing myself. I will say that for you he may not have glamourised his life but he's written some 'booky wookies' about them and one can't help but feel this is cashing in to an extent. I think any guy who whinges and moans about the abuse they suffered and how lonely they felt due to shagging countless women is going to get right up my nose. We'll have to differ on this one mate.

The review isn't of "The Tempest" but of "Greenberg". Seeing as I compared him to Mr. Brand and there's a hilarious rebuke of it by Mark Kermode. I thought I'd include it here for your viewing pleasure. I included the link in my original post, it's "BBC Five Live" (click).

I feel I am almsot certainly in the minority. As to him arranging archaic words in a certain order, well, archaic shouldn't necessarily have negativity attached. I myself wish my lexicon was a little broader so I could better explain myself from time to time. I'm pretty lots of writers do that. But I have also to admit that I haven't read 'that book'. My judgement is based more on what comes out of his gob than what is created with quill and parchment. Hang on, what's going on here? Quill and parchment? I'm getting a bit foppy myself!
I have to ask him what the fuck was the title all about though. I will try to find a copy of it and maybe be able to learn more. If the book sucks rest assured I will be writing to Mr B myself.
As for cashing in, well, er, so? Would you turn down a million squid to write some stuff about your life so far? I think his loneliness stemmed from his inability to distinguish love from sex. Feelings from gratification. Loneliness from fame. But I haven't read the book so I might be guessing here.
I guess we need to wrap up the Brand part of this thread now eh? There is, I'm sure, a thread devoted to him already. Meanwhile, back at the ranch.................

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Branded a "twat" (17/6/2011 6:24:02 PM)

When I was critical of him using archaic words as part of his act, that's not because I have anything against doing so (actually, quite the opposite). Rather, it's because some people think this makes him intelligent, when it patently doesn't. It's just a pretentious and pompous way of trying to come across as artsy, quirky, gifted, learned and basically it makes him look a right pillock. If you want to decipher the meaning of the booky wook's (sic) title (there's two now), I refer you to Ian Hislop who put it best: "335 pages of dismal, masturbatory pagey-wages". The cashing in comment was a response to what you said about him not apparently taking advantage of his life's circumstances, in order to further his own gains. He has done so and so it's another reason not to like him. Frankly, I wouldn't reveal any of my private life to the public, regardless of the sums of money involved. You may call balderdash on that statement but it's how I'd handle my affairs and I personally find it a loathesome practice. It's just a form of exhibitionism and dare I say self-aggrandising. I find it incredibly insincere and tawdry. The bit you wrote about may have motivated him to pursue those vices, unfortunately just seems like a bad chat-up line he'd use to lure women into bed. I'd rather not read a segment where someone who acts the way he does, tries to cover it all up by saying it's all down to loneliness. I'm sure he's still feeling sorry for himself. Anyway, you're right; I suppose we should close the chapter on this booky wook. The sun is setting on this...ranch? I'm sure there's more buffalo we can pillory and kill! [;)]

jamiesouth -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (17/6/2011 8:29:22 PM)

nic cage, edward norton, jake gylenhaal, tobey maguire, johnny depp, shia laboeff (however u spell the wankers fuckin name), adrian brody....
so many others that my brain has collapsed and i cant think of any more

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (17/6/2011 8:47:44 PM)

Matt Smith

gazpop -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (18/6/2011 9:28:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamiesouth

nic cage, edward norton, jake gylenhaal, tobey maguire, johnny depp, shia laboeff (however u spell the wankers fuckin name), adrian brody....
so many others that my brain has collapsed and i cant think of any more

What? Are you purposely winding me up? Hang on gazpop, whoa there, maybe I should ask, ''why do you hate them?'' I don't suppose you have to give a reason on this thread, but you know what? It might be nice yeah. 'Cos there's really only one name there who hasn't the same talent as the others.
They've all made stinkers, but so have De Niro, Pacino, Brando et al.

jamiesouth -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (18/6/2011 10:44:30 AM)

u know what gazpop? i cant even explain why i hate them i just do its nothing to do with their films or acting capabilities (although most of em are piss poor actors) its just one of those things its a bit like how everyone hates robbie savage theres no particular reason but most people still hate him. this is just my opinion obviously, i mean my brother loves nic cage, ed norton and johnny depp but i personally cant stand them

i can think of loads more some of whom have been mentioned by others like chris tucker, matt smith, james corden etc but they are a whole other level of bad, so bad infact that i dont even class them as actors so didnt mention them in my earlier post

also cant disagree with you that de niro pacino brando et al have all made shit films, they have but like i said already its not the actors's films that make me hate them for example i loved kick ass even with nic cage in but i still cant stand him

gazpop -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (18/6/2011 11:24:17 AM)

Well I'm sure that'll soften the blow for Mr Cage when I tell him that you enjoyed Kick Ass but still can't stand the guy [;)]

darth silas -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (18/6/2011 1:28:10 PM)

[image]http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/the-change-up-starring-ryan-reynolds_333x395.jpg[/image]

Am i the only one who thinks that hes just not funny? His habit of..talking..really fast..with..pauses..like..Bill..Shatner..is just annoying.

pauljthomas -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (20/6/2011 12:59:49 PM)

Adam Sandler get's on my nerves, add Orlando Bloom, Jennifer Aniston & Sarah Jessica Parker.

MonsterCat -> RE: Actors you CANNOT BLOODY STAND (25/6/2011 8:19:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

[image]http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/9792/ray-winstone-photo.jpg[/image]

Why does this guy keep getting work? Hes useless.

He wasn't quite so useless in Nil By Mouth, The Proposition, Sexy Beast and 44 Inch Chest.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI