True Grit (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> True Grit (3/1/2011 6:11:43 AM)

Post your comments on this article

ehowarth -> (3/1/2011 6:11:43 AM)

At the beginning of Fargo (1996), the Coen brothers open with a disclaimer: 'THIS IS A TRUE STORY.' At the end, as the credits role, we're told quite the opposite: 'The persons and events portrayed in this production are fictitious.' A comment on art, or a tongue-in-cheek joke at our expense, call it what you want, it nevertheless establishes the Coens' penchant for leading the audience through myth, mysteries and nonsensical scenarios, and our willingness to be led. And they've led us to some very special places.

And one of the reasons why we continually allow the Coens to do this is their track record of vibrant and memorable characters, from struggling writer Fink to the now iconic Dude. True Grit continues the tradition, bringing together Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld), a tough as nails fourteen year old girl bent on bringing her father's killer to hang, and the grizzled drunkard Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges).

It's a straight-as-an-arrow opening, as Mattie and Rooster set out to bring down killer Tom Chaney (Josh Brolin). Along the way, they slowly bond over bonfire banter, corpses hanging from trees and midnight cabin raids. Though familiar territory, it's kept thrilling by the wonderful chemistry between Mattie and Rooster, with Matt Damon (always better than he's given credit for) playing the pompous but likeable oaf LaBoeuf, an irksome but charming foil to fuel Rooster's competitive fire. Tidy though it may be, it all works extremely well.

It's a shame then that, with convention working so well, it's an unconventional ending that lets True Grit down, dodging a traditional (and crowd-pleasingly Western) wrap-up for something quieter, more conceptual, more Coenesque -but in this case- quite unsatisfying. Without ruining anything, you'll twist it around, mull it over, and try to make it work, but something about it doesn't seem quite RIGHT (though sure to set internet forums ablaze).

Like we said, the Coens have led us to some wonderful places in t

Mr Terrific -> RE: (3/1/2011 9:01:05 PM)

Loved it. Plenty of banter and action. The script is tight and the action scenes are satisfyingly brutal and tense. Did'nt have the usual Hollywood ending which I liked.

BACK ATTCHA -> REMAKE OR NOT A REMAKE.. (4/1/2011 9:25:17 AM)

In my possesion; I have a copy of the book true grit., and have a copy of the original film TRUE GRIT starring John Wayne. SO; it is easy for me to compare all three. Though the book I have has pictures of the first film in it makes me believe that the book was made after the first film. and is not an original copy. dot get me wrong; but in the first film John Wayne did his best to make you believe he was drunk in the scene at the chinaman's., where Rooster Cogbourn would bunk at on occasion..THE ONLY difference in this scene was the John Wayne was fully clothed, and Jeff Bridges was in a pair of old hole soiled coveralls- the underware of the day back then. as for the scene at the cabin when lucky Ned Pepper shows up the first film was true to the book the second film had embelished its interpration of this scene. not to mention that I do not recall of any mention of an outhouse in the book.perhaps they were trying to use it as a time capsle. the first film was good because of its panaramic views of the counrty side with an excellant music score, comon with films of the sixties and seventies.As for the second version of TRUE GRIT, well even though they stuck with the books interpration as seen through Mattie's veiw of events and was true to the book in that sense. now I kinda liked the end of this version because because they kept it close to the book . ROOSTER HAD PASSED AWAY IN JONESBORO ARKANSAS AT ABOUT THE AGE OF 68 IN 1903. Suffering from night hoss.according to the book . the only problem i had with both films was that they realy didn't touch the fact that they were in indian territory. I mean to say that you never see any indian while they were there. Or the fact that the Indians probably wouldn't like them there in the first place. and you know that the Indian's would follow them or watch them at some point at least. Well its like your on indian land- the reserve but there's no Idians? its like the hat jeff bridges wore leaving the court, do you re

BACK ATTCHA -> REMAKE OR NOT A REMAKE.. (4/1/2011 9:25:20 AM)

In my possesion; I have a copy of the book true grit., and have a copy of the original film TRUE GRIT starring John Wayne. SO; it is easy for me to compare all three. Though the book I have has pictures of the first film in it makes me believe that the book was made after the first film. and is not an original copy. dot get me wrong; but in the first film John Wayne did his best to make you believe he was drunk in the scene at the chinaman's., where Rooster Cogbourn would bunk at on occasion..THE ONLY difference in this scene was the John Wayne was fully clothed, and Jeff Bridges was in a pair of old hole soiled coveralls- the underware of the day back then. as for the scene at the cabin when lucky Ned Pepper shows up the first film was true to the book the second film had embelished its interpration of this scene. not to mention that I do not recall of any mention of an outhouse in the book.perhaps they were trying to use it as a time capsle. the first film was good because of its panaramic views of the counrty side with an excellant music score, comon with films of the sixties and seventies.As for the second version of TRUE GRIT, well even though they stuck with the books interpration as seen through Mattie's veiw of events and was true to the book in that sense. now I kinda liked the end of this version because because they kept it close to the book . ROOSTER HAD PASSED AWAY IN JONESBORO ARKANSAS AT ABOUT THE AGE OF 68 IN 1903. Suffering from night hoss.according to the book . the only problem i had with both films was that they realy didn't touch the fact that they were in indian territory. I mean to say that you never see any indian while they were there. Or the fact that the Indians probably wouldn't like them there in the first place. and you know that the Indian's would follow them or watch them at some point at least. Well its like your on indian land- the reserve but there's no Idians? its like the hat jeff bridges wore leaving the court, do you re

BACK ATTCHA -> REMAKE OR NOT A REMAKE.. (4/1/2011 9:25:22 AM)

danbo1138 -> look forward to this (4/1/2011 5:36:17 PM)

And the book came first!

MovieKid -> RE: look forward to this (4/1/2011 5:45:40 PM)

It makes me sick that this gets five stars and films like black swan only get 4. Just because it was directed by the Coen brothers doesnt make it brilliant. Im not saying its a bad film, its just nothing to get genuinely excited about. But its clear from past reviews that empire go wild for anything Coen. Even if its utter nonsensical crap (A Serious Man).

Senton -> Hm should have known, Empire's five star rating means nothing anymore (4/1/2011 5:58:54 PM)

Hm should have known, Empire's five star rating means nothing anymore

THERAHMAN -> Not really a western (4/1/2011 7:24:52 PM)

Loved it, but this isn't a western. I love The Coens Brothers, but they haven't a clue about what it's like living without air conditioning, hot water, or deodorant.

I think people are scared,especially the critics, to diss a cohens brothers film. 3 stars max.

Woger -> RE: Hm should have known, Empire's five star rating means nothing anymore (4/1/2011 7:38:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Senton

Hm should have known, Empire's five star rating means nothing anymore

But it goes up to 11.
Great film, totally deserving of 5 stars.

Varkko Stush -> RE: Hm should have known, Empire's five star rating means nothing anymore (4/1/2011 7:43:41 PM)

The Coens get good ratings because they make good movies. Simples.

Cameron1975Williams -> Best Picture (4/1/2011 10:12:30 PM)

...The Social Network is a great film for our time. True Grit is a great film for all time.

ChesterCopperpot -> This must be favourite for the Oscars (5/1/2011 12:33:19 AM)

True Grit is an amazing film and perhaps their best and most mature and accomplished work. I would love to see Bridges bag himself a second Oscar in as many years and Hailee Steinfield really is worthy of the hype, she's incredible. Out of all the Oscar contenders, this and Black Swan are my favourites, Inception and Toy Story 3 are the dark horses but then I haven't seen The King's Speech yet. This years Oscars are going to be very interesting...

burtbondy -> I Dont Buy It. (5/1/2011 10:54:13 AM)

Its an average western at best. Without the Coens attached it would not be getting this mush praise. Far better westerns in the last ten years have scored worse. 3 burials, seraphim falls...

burtbondy -> I Dont Buy It. (5/1/2011 11:00:06 AM)

Its an average western at best. Without the Coens attached it would not be getting this mush praise. Far better westerns in the last ten years have scored worse. 3 burials, seraphim falls...

Gator -> RE: I Dont Buy It. (5/1/2011 11:08:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: burtbondy

Three Burials scored worse?

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?DVDID=117356

Senton -> RE: Hm should have known, Empire's five star rating means nothing anymore (5/1/2011 2:08:52 PM)

What does that eve mean, it goes up to 11?

Senton -> RE: Hm should have known, Empire's five star rating means nothing anymore (5/1/2011 2:11:20 PM)

Varkko Stush

The Coens get good ratings because they make good movies. Simples.

But what if it wasnt a good movie this time?

Senton -> ITS A SAD REALITY WHERE FILMAKERS LIKE THE COENS AND SCORSESE FOR EXAMPLE CAN NEVER EXPECT TO GET A 2 STAR REVIEW BECAUSE OF THEIR REPUTATION! (5/1/2011 2:15:20 PM)

Did anyone see shutter island it was pretentious as hell

firmjcp -> easy viewing (5/1/2011 10:08:38 PM)

I Like some of the coen films but I wouldn't say that I'm a fan. I watched this film because of the cast not the makers.
Jeff Bridges seems to be peaking like so many actors of his age have done in the past (mickey Rourke being one). Matt Damon is a strange one in this film. compared to Bridges character, 'La Beef' comes across as a man out of his depth and a bit of a pussy, but this all changes after he leaves Mattie and Rooster half way through the story. The Character changes throughout the film are judged to perfection. Josh Brolin might be on the poster but he makes more of a cameo appearance in this. His performance is as good as Barry Peppers' short stint as the gang leader Ned Pepper. Now to the star of the Show, Hailee steinfield Should get an Oscar Nom for this. Not because she's so brilliant in the role(another young actress could have done the same thing), but the character is brilliant.
To sum up. This film deserves oscar nominations but it's not in the top 3 westerns of all time.

simjamlmx -> Great movie. (6/1/2011 3:32:28 AM)

not much of a detailed review but everything about this film is brilliant. i love westerns and this is up there with clints "unforgiven"

simjamlmx -> Great movie. (6/1/2011 3:32:29 AM)

not much of a detailed review but everything about this film is brilliant. i love westerns and this is up there with clints "unforgiven"

spamandham -> RE: True Grit (7/1/2011 2:21:05 PM)

Brilliant film. 

/Clarence\ -> RE: True Grit (14/1/2011 6:49:40 PM)

Fully agree with the 5 star rating, its a brilliant film. Jeff is great as usual, Brolin was also excellent in his small part.
Memorable scenes, one liners, humour, emotion and action. It was a joy to watch.

Tenacious P -> (7/2/2011 12:30:17 AM)

I'd like to see the True Grit that Empire saw. I love the book, the original film, the Coens and Jeff Bridges but this film was an utter bore-fest from start to finish. And why did Bridges sound like Scruffy the janitor from Futurama??

ARmy2510 -> (7/2/2011 9:56:04 AM)

Good stuff but not five-star movie.

velvet -> True Grit (7/2/2011 4:39:04 PM)

Oh dear Empire,, waht have you done
5 stars, u taking the michael, Total film gave the same.
This a 3 star, and thats pushing it, maybe i have bad judgements in movies, loved Shutter Island(Martys best for years), loved Gran Torino, loved the Town, i even loved Expendables, but this movie was not the best.
Im not a fan of the Coens at all, but i enjoyed Burn after Reading and i though No Country for Old Men was great,it was a western wit a terrific performance from Brolin.
This movie is not great, i love Jeff Bridges and was looking forward to seing this, cos i love westerns, Unforgiven, Josey Swales, even Pale Rider, and the Missing by Ron Howard is good, Jeff is good in this even though its hard to understand him sometimes. The girl is great, but im not sure why Damon is in it, ticket sales perhaps.
First 20mins is great, good lines by the girl but after that nothing happens, its get a bit boring, and Brolin is wasted in it, good action near teh end where it gets urgent but a disappointment. I hope it doesnt win any oscars.
Empire u guys got it so wrong again, 4 stars for indiana 4 which was an insulting movie, 5 stars for superman returns which i agree and then u slagg it off, just cos it didnt make enough money, and 2 stars for Expendables. Review movies properly Empire without bise

Cheeze -> RE: True Grit (8/2/2011 12:05:38 AM)

I've not seen this yet myself so can't post an opinion on the actual movie, but I see that as usual the Empire bashers are out in force.

If the film is so bad, or so mediocre and Empire are just sucking up to the Coens, then are the other 95% of reviewers http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/true-grit-2010/ doing the same thing?

If you disagree and get so wound up with the way Empire review their movies then why do you even frequent this site?

Of course not everyone will enjoy or agree with every movie, but is the same old nonsense of ranting at Empire that usually happens on here. To suggest they are just kissing arse or otherwise is just childish and pathetic.

Wizzums -> Truly Freakin' Amazing! (8/2/2011 6:31:10 AM)

This masterful fim is superbly written, paced and directed, beautifully shot, darkly hilarious and features perfect performances form Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin, but these veterans are all outdone by the revalation that is newcomer Hailee Stienfeld in the most stunning debut performance I have seen in a very long while.

I have high hopes for True Grit at the Oscars, I think it is by far the most deserving film to win Best Picture, Director(s), Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography and Supporting Actress in my opinion, although if it could only win one Oscar, I'd hope Hailee Stienfeld picks one up. She'd deserve to win even if she was nominated for Best Actress.

This masterpiece of filmmaking from the Coens (another one) is dead set to be one of my all-time favourites.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI