Exclusive: Christopher Nolan On Zimmer (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Exclusive: Christopher Nolan On Zimmer (26/11/2010 7:19:05 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Gigolo Joe -> Best Scores of 2010 ??? (26/11/2010 10:36:39 PM)

Doesn't say much for the competition does it?

This score had a particularly anodyne effect in common with most of Hans Zimmer's derivative output.

With Inception, Hans Zimmer contributes largely to the sense that you're watching an extended trailer, edited as an endless montage sequence with no room for suspense or dramatic pause. Zimmer's constant driving electronic rhythms lack any chemistry with the characters and espouse any kind of memorable theme to the extent that the music follows the pre-determined pattern of the digitally enhanced soundtrack merely to set the mood and get you through to the end of the movie.

It's lazy, it's boring and proved by the following:
quote:

"What we do is a little thinner and a little shallower, and it's called film music. It's entertainment. I think I would lose some of my freedom of having ideas if I took it all a bit seriously."

Hans Zimmer

Contrast his malaised approach with:

quote:

"If our music survives, which I have no doubt it will, then it will be because it is good."

quote:

"I would have burned out a long time ago if I just took a job, the money and ran with it.... When I'm excited about something, the creativity just flows. I like a good creative fight. The soundtrack will always get done. But I'm not happy until it gets done well."

quote:

"When I get a fantasy film job, the first thing I look for is the non-fantasy element to build the music upon. The human side of the film is what's important, not the hardware.... There is no formula to finding what musically fits a science fiction film. I just look for the emotion."

quote:

"I'm not a film- composer, I'm a composer"

Jerry Goldsmith

sowasred2012 -> RE: WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY? (SEE BELOW) (27/11/2010 12:31:51 AM)

@Gigolo Joe

Dude, relax, he makes catchy film scores. Look, here's Inception Cat to calm you down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDSE7RHvno

Deviation -> RE: WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY? (SEE BELOW) (27/11/2010 5:25:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sowasred2012

@Gigolo Joe

Dude, relax, he makes catchy film scores. Look, here's Inception Cat to calm you down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDSE7RHvno

He has a point though, Zimmer can be quite lazy and mediocre.

Gigolo Joe -> RE: WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY? (SEE BELOW) (27/11/2010 6:17:41 AM)

Dude.. While cats are always amazing, I think I was trying to say that Hans Zimmer rarely is, and can often ruin a film for me.

I'll admit, a few soundtracks come to mind where he's shown genuine talent (Gladiator, POTC 1), but the thing I can never forget is the loathsome synth-orchestra sound that he helped take over Hollywood music since the mid nineties.

You could probably tell that I much prefer the music of Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, as well as Ennio Morricone, Bernard Herrmann, Michael Kamen etc - Classic film scores the likes of which we may never hear again. Michael Giaccino and Howard Shore are about the only composers working that have any kind of ear for a decent memorable thematic soundtrack.

One need only glance at Hans Zimmer's catalog to wonder how much of his output is memorable. How many classic themes has he written? The man churns out 5 scores a year on average, through his "Remote Control Productions" and it shows. This 'factory' is responsible for most of the music used by Hollywood today, which accounts for the generic wallpaper soundtracks currently besmirching our movies. His attitude to Film Music is more professional Hobby than art form.

But anyway I'll leave you to whistle Inception's catchy tunes and remember - it's just my opinion Man - it's not as if anyone else is with me on this..

hatebox -> RE: WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY? (SEE BELOW) (27/11/2010 11:42:12 AM)

Whether they're 'good' or not, Inception's main movements are definitely striking. If you played the theme in 10 years time people would recognize it. Daft Punk's Tron aside, Inception has been the only soundtrack I've heard people talk about this year.

I don't particularly rate Zimmer, and originality certainly isn't his strong suit, but his Nolan scores do their job effectively.

schnerkle -> RE: Best Scores of 2010 ??? (29/11/2010 1:54:04 PM)

Couldn't agree more ... Empire please for once remove thy greasy snout from Nolan's crack and take a breath of fresh air. You seem to have the impression he has some sort of Midas touch. Zimmer's soundtrack was hackneyed and indistinguishable from everything else he's scored and I guarantee if it wasn't used in a Nolan movie you would not have made that claim.

For a start much more evocative/atmospheric/original soundtracks this year were:

Reznor's score for The Social Network
Korzeniowski and Umebayashi's score for A Single Man

... among plenty more ...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI