Martin Freeman Talks The Hobbit (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Martin Freeman Talks The Hobbit (11/10/2010 10:42:55 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Jayseph -> Got to be Tom Hollander! (11/10/2010 12:36:39 PM)

Although his understated performance in Sherlock has made me change my mind of him recently, I don' think he would be right for Bilbo. At all. There's one man who is perfect for the role - has exactly the right look and talent and that is Tom Hollander. Give that man the role and stop all this silly talk of Freeman.

superdan -> RE: Got to be Tom Hollander! (11/10/2010 12:54:50 PM)

Hmm I'm not sure about this. I'm probably one of the only people who doesn't think Freeman's a very talented actor. He's fine enough in TV, I guess, but I really can't see him carrying a big budget film such as the Hobbit. I agree that Hollander would be a far better choice - he convey's bewilderment and the feeling of being out of his depth very well and plus he actually is a Hobbit.

Big_Pants -> RE: Got to be Tom Hollander! (11/10/2010 1:49:27 PM)

I think he's wonderful in Sherlock and I certainly wouldn't weep if he got the role of Bilbo but I have to agree, Tom Hollander would be an inspired choice!

BelfastBoy -> RE: Got to be Tom Hollander! (11/10/2010 2:15:27 PM)

Does anybody know if Tom Hollander even auditioned for / would be interested in the role of Bilbo? I know that Matthew Goode did (this is from a Feb 2010 interview, when Del Toro was still attached to The Hobbit):

"But just before we met, he'd auditioned for the role of Bilbo Baggins in Guillermo del Toro's two-part film of The Hobbit. As he is the first to admit, he's not an obvious choice 'Look at the size of me for Christ's sake!' If he got the part, he would, he says, find it almost impossible to refuse despite the fact that it would involve him spending several months in New Zealand."

Source:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/baftas/7291210/Bafta-Awards-2010-Matthew-Goode-Interview.html

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Got to be Tom Hollander! (11/10/2010 2:30:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Hmm I'm not sure about this. I'm probably one of the only people who doesn't think Freeman's a very talented actor. He's fine enough in TV, I guess, but I really can't see him carrying a big budget film such as the Hobbit. I agree that Hollander would be a far better choice - he convey's bewilderment and the feeling of being out of his depth very well and plus he actually is a Hobbit.

No, he isn't as even he is too tall to be an actual hobbit. However, his shorter than average height for a man would perfectly convey the illusion or versimilitude of being a hobbit among taller characters such as men and elves. If he's unavailable then by all means, call me! Tom Hollander is an actor of far greater stature (forgive me) than someone of Matthew Goode's calibre.

superdan -> RE: Got to be Tom Hollander! (11/10/2010 2:40:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

No, he isn't as even he is too tall to be an actual hobbit. However, his shorter than average height for a man would perfectly convey the illusion or versimilitude of being a hobbit among taller characters such as men and elves. If he's unavailable then by all means, call me! Tom Hollander is an actor of far greater stature (forgive me) than someone of Matthew Goode's calibre.

Apologies, I thought it was obvious that my tongue was firmly in my cheek and a clear nod to his diminutive stature when I posted that. I don't actually seriously think that Tom Hollander is a hobbit (or halfling, if you like [;)]), with the oversized hairy feet and living in holes and stuff, since that would be psychotic.

BelfastBoy -> RE: sdfwef (11/10/2010 3:35:46 PM)

Why do these threads always get spammed by fuckers trying to flog crappy bootleg clothing and accessories? Piss off!

Anyway, back on topic. In my earlier post I forgot to add that I think that Matthew Goode wouldn't be an ideal choice for Bilbo. I've had the misfortune to watch him in both Leap Year and Watchmen and, although he was OK in the latter, I just can't imagine him as a hobbit I'd want to care about in either one or two films.

As for the height issue, I know that CGI offers all sorts of possibilities so if a huge man like John Rhys Davies can convince as a dwarf, then anything's possible.

Good an actor as he is, I just can't see Martin Freeman as Bilbo. His previous attempt at carrying a big screen film was Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, and - to me personally - he was OK in the part but lacking star quality. Obviously that was a very different film to what The Hobbit will be, but to me he just isn't right. Problem is I don't know who is! Clearly Freeman was / is the frontrunner, so I'd say that if the project gets greenlit, he should forget about Sherlock and jump on the first plane to New Zealand! (Or, given The Hobbit's ever-changing deadlines, there's every chance that he could do both.)

zombie mastermind -> RE: Martin Freeman Talks The Hobbit (11/10/2010 6:25:52 PM)

Glad to see it's not just me that finds his everyman act a tad long in the tooth. It would be very very bad if he was to play Bilbo. I sum up his acting style thusly: "Bored whimsy".

garyfrenchkangaroo -> RE: Martin Freeman Talks The Hobbit (11/10/2010 6:34:32 PM)

If we're basing casting suggestions mainly on height followed by talent, then has anyone considered Peter dinklage for the role. Or Danny de Vito.

Big_Pants -> RE: hmm (11/10/2010 9:17:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bleugh07

Doesn't seem like he cares enough, to me. He's a fairly bland actor, and the obvious choice for the Bilbo role, but the fact that he neither knows the books nor has particular passion for the films worries me.

I thought the same.

Jayseph -> RE: Freeman! (12/10/2010 6:14:13 PM)

No, I fear not. He plays everything as too knowing, too smug. Hollander conveys "out of his depth-ness" brilliantly so he'd be perfect. I really hope this Freeman nonsense stops soon.

Sphinx -> RE: Freeman! (12/10/2010 7:50:02 PM)

I'm not sure, he's not that well known globally yet - He's likeable sure but I big role like Bilbo?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI