Definitely No Damon For Bourne Legacy (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Definitely No Damon For Bourne Legacy (11/10/2010 9:12:00 AM)

Post your comments on this article

jmebaby25 -> RE: Quite an interesting way to continue the series... (11/10/2010 9:16:59 AM)

Ha! Now I have no idea what to think about this.

Initially I was disappointed with the announcement of a 4th film, because the wrapped up Bourne's story brilliantly with Ultimatum. Then I was gutted at the rumours that they were also going to recast Bourne.

Now all of those worries seem out of the way. However, now it's just a waiting game to see whether this is actually any good.

BelfastBoy -> RE: Right.... (11/10/2010 10:16:39 AM)

Sorry, but promising as the project sounds, I'm confused as to how it can be called a 'Bourne' film when Jason Bourne won't be in the film. If it doesn't feature Bourne, doesn't star Matt Damon, and will be different to the source novel, then surely it'll 'just' be a standalone thriller film? I'm guessing it'll be set in the same universe, and possibly with some familiar characters (maybe Joan Allen, Julia Stiles, the assassin from the third film - was he called Paz?); but even if that's the case, it could be an excellent film. But it won't be a 'Bourne' film unless Matt makes at least a cameo that could maybe set things up for his proper return at some point in the near future.

jmebaby25 -> RE: Right.... (11/10/2010 10:41:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

Sorry, but promising as the project sounds, I'm confused as to how it can be called a 'Bourne' film when Jason Bourne won't be in the film. If it doesn't feature Bourne, doesn't star Matt Damon, and will be different to the source novel, then surely it'll 'just' be a standalone thriller film? I'm guessing it'll be set in the same universe, and possibly with some familiar characters (maybe Joan Allen, Julia Stiles, the assassin from the third film - was he called Paz?); but even if that's the case, it could be an excellent film. But it won't be a 'Bourne' film unless Matt makes at least a cameo that could maybe set things up for his proper return at some point in the near future.

I think the key is the word "Legacy" and that somehow this film will be tied to the trilogy and that the plot will be a reaction to Bourne's actions in them. Therefore, the events of the film are Bourne's legacy. This would also explain why they've said it leaves the door open for him to make an appearance down the line.

I wouldn't be surprised if they turn the original novel on it's head and have a new assassin come into play to try and flush out Bourne (much like how he was trying to flush out Carlos in the novel).

DazDaMan -> RE: Right.... (11/10/2010 12:28:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

quote:

I think the key is the word "Legacy" and that somehow this film will be tied to the trilogy and that the plot will be a reaction to Bourne's actions in them. Therefore, the events of the film are Bourne's legacy. This would also explain why they've said it leaves the door open for him to make an appearance down the line.

I wouldn't be surprised if they turn the original novel on it's head and have a new assassin come into play to try and flush out Bourne (much like how he was trying to flush out Carlos in the novel).

I was thinking that myself, although I'm sure a lot of people will still be confused by the distinct lack of Bourne...

BelfastBoy -> RE: Right.... (11/10/2010 12:57:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

quote:

I agree with your logic, but it's still totally disingenuous to make such an overt link to the Matt Damon films in the title if the Jason Bourne character isn't going to appear at all. If this is project is what I suspect it is (a stopgap to sustain some interest before Damon's proper return), then it has a lot of potential in exploring other aspects of the wider story. But casual movegoers - especially in the US - are going to be confused and possibly disappointed if they go to the cinema to see a Bourne film' without Matt Damon. (I know that statement is a horrible generalisation but there genuinely are lots of people who go to watch films without knowing what they're about.) If the film's good enough, it should be able to find an audience without having to rely on the Bourne name.

But then, there's been Halo videogames without the Master Chief, and they weren't too bad...

Ulmaceae -> RE: (11/10/2010 8:09:40 PM)

Well, given that Gilroy is the third part of the triangle that made Bourne work so well, this can't be that bad, can it? My only fear is we'll lose some of the mystery of the character.

And keeping the Bourne name in it is a bit of a cop-out though.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI