The Town (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> The Town (20/9/2010 12:10:44 PM)

Post your comments on this article

GoCommando -> Great movie (20/9/2010 12:10:44 PM)

Saw this in Asia last month and really enjoyed it. Kind of a "Heat-lite" but, as Empire pointed out, with a more romantic heart. Better than anything I've seen since before the summer (yes, that includes the well made but emotion devoid Inception...).

Who would have believed Affleck could direct.

Concise_Statement -> RE: Great movie (20/9/2010 4:10:50 PM)

quote:

well made but emotion devoid Inception

Yay! It's finally becoming acceptable to recognise Inception doesn't walk on water!

Deviation -> RE: Great movie (20/9/2010 5:08:42 PM)

Only that Inception had emotional depth and that it being considered void by some (people here must hate Kubrick) was a not such a rare complaint.

Also, I am eagerly awaiting for this, Gone Baby Gone was a great film and Affleck might be turn out o become one hell of a great director.

adambatman82 -> RE: Great movie (20/9/2010 11:03:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Also, I am eagerly awaiting for this, Gone Baby Gone was a great film and Affleck might be turn out o become one hell of a great director.

Saw it today (alongside Enter The Void) at a press screening and really loved it. I'll post my full review tomorrow, but yeah, The Town is really something, as is Affleck a talent.

nhassell -> RE: Great movie (20/9/2010 11:38:28 PM)

Saw it this evening. Truly stunning. One of the best of the year.

klause -> RE: Great movie (21/9/2010 8:36:51 AM)

Going to a preview of this tonight. Really looking forward to it.

Sledge Hammer -> The Town - mixed feelings (21/9/2010 10:01:01 AM)

Mixed feelings about it.

Storywise, I enjoyed it. thought it was very well directed, visually very appealing as well. Nothing technically wrong with the film.

However, I did feel it meandered at times - I also thought that the ending was not quite right for the film (spoilers in invitext below)

the film overall reminded me of a mish mash of the following films : Shawshank, heat and particularly 'thief' (micheal Mann movie).

A lot to admire (expecially Affleck in front and behind the camera) but the things that grated on me were (spoilers):

It seems relatively easy to get away from the police and FBI! I mean they walked out of the final shoot out! Also, when they were shooting each other at point blank range (afflecks buddy and the FBI guy), they couldnt hit a barn door. Seemed strange to me!
Also, they were being watched under surveillance but managed to do 2 further robberies.
Also, they were watching the Florist but after the job went wrong, surely they knew thats where Affleck would go.
Also, I think Affleck surely had to die at the end of the movie. The character arc surely demanded it - him living seemed a cop out for me.

Having said all those things, I still really enjoyed it!

One thing that did bemuse me though (and its not a spoiler) but the actress who was Afflecks old girlfriend, mumbled everyone of her lines. Couldnt understand her and she sounded eastern european not Bostonian!

adambatman82 -> RE: The Town - mixed feelings (21/9/2010 11:42:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

One thing that did bemuse me though (and its not a spoiler) but the actress who was Afflecks old girlfriend, mumbled everyone of her lines. Couldnt understand her and she sounded eastern european not Bostonian!

I've not seen Gossip Girl, but apparently Blake Lively is unrecognisable as Affleck's ex. She has a ton of awards buzz behind her too. I think the mumbling was down to her junkie-ness. I didn't have an issue with her delivery personally.

My one major issue was -

Pete Poslethwaite's lack of ability to die convincingly. It was pretty much the worst attempt at dying I've ever seen.

Deviation -> RE: Great movie (21/9/2010 1:48:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Saw it today (alongside Enter The Void) at a press screening and really loved it. I'll post my full review tomorrow, but yeah, The Town is really something, as is Affleck a talent.

Please tell me you found it better than Empire did.

adambatman82 -> RE: Great movie (21/9/2010 2:36:47 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh yeah, completely, it'd get five stars from me and is visually the "game-changer" that both Scott Pilgrim and Avatar promised to be. I've never seen a film quite like it. Seeing Empire's two star review has surprised me actually, in this age of "immersion" I can't believe that it wasn't lauded more by them. It's Noe's best film, and one of the best this year.

I preferred The Town though, its more my thing.

Has anyone mentioned the car chase yet? What an amazing scene, its one of the best action scenes I've seen all year.

Sledge Hammer -> RE: Great movie (21/9/2010 2:46:04 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh yeah, completely, it'd get five stars from me and is visually the "game-changer" that both Scott Pilgrim and Avatar promised to be. I've never seen a film quite like it. Seeing Empire's two star review has surprised me actually, in this age of "immersion" I can't believe that it wasn't lauded more by them. It's Noe's best film, and one of the best this year.

I preferred The Town though, its more my thing.

Has anyone mentioned the car chase yet? What an amazing scene, its one of the best action scenes I've seen all year.

Really?

It was good but nothing mind blowing.

Which kind of describes the whole film for me.

adambatman82 -> RE: Great movie (21/9/2010 3:32:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

quote:

Really?

It was good but nothing mind blowing.

Which kind of describes the whole film for me.

I was on the edge of my seat throughout that whole sequence! While it could be said that the film was predictable, I genuinely didn't know what to expect whilst I was actually watching the film.

Deviation -> RE: Great movie (21/9/2010 5:43:22 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's great. I'm rather worried about the more "profound" aspects that apparently are proving tiresome to some.

(Hey no bashing on Scott Pilgrim itwasamazing)

adambatman82 -> RE: Great movie (21/9/2010 6:12:23 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's great. I'm rather worried about the more "profound" aspects that apparently are proving tiresome to some.

(Hey no bashing on Scott Pilgrim itwasamazing)

Just posted my review in the Enter The Void review thread.

Pilgrim was fine, just not the "game-changer" that many seem to consider it.

The Town was better than both. #tenuouslykeepingontopic[:D]

spamandham -> RE: The Town (22/9/2010 9:22:17 PM)

It seems strange that a review can praise a film for being mature and sophisticated and then throw in a few childish insults into the mix.

"50p face"
"afflectations"

FFS, who wrote this? Am adult critic or a 15 year old school girl?

adambatman82 -> RE: The Town (23/9/2010 8:57:22 PM)

The Town, 2010. Ben Affleck.

2010 has proven a great year for the heist film, with Christopher Nolan’s Inception bringing the genre back to the forefront of the focus of Hollywood. Ben Affleck’s latest film, his sophomore effort and third part of his Boston Trilogy follows in the tradition of Michael Mann’s Heat and the Soderbergh Ocean’s films in revitalising the archetypical Heist flick for a new audience.

The Town tells the story of its eponymous locale. The Charlestown borough of Boston is home to some of very best career criminals in the United States, with a rich heritage of regionally inbred bank robbers. Fathers pass the mantle of criminal down to their sons, with each generation as damned as the next. Doug MacRay (Ben Affleck) decides that its time for him to get out of the trade, having fallen for Claire (Rebecca Hall) one of the victims of a previous job. As is the norm with these kind of scenarios its not quite as easy as one might expect to leave a life of crime behind, and in an effort to appease the local mob boss, Doug agrees to commit one final job before going his own way.

Affleck turns in a fine performance in this, his second attempt at directing, as the reformed criminal, yet it is behind the camera where the star really shines. His directorial debut Gone Baby Gone (2007) was a major surprise in a way, with Affleck’s early talent largely concealed during the decade between Good Will Hunting (1997) and Gone Baby Gone through a series of bad decisions casting wise. With Gone Baby Gone, Affleck reminded the film world of the ability exhibited with his breakthrough feature, and I’m happy to report that The Town also follows in this tradition.

While Affleck’s own performance may be the central focus of the film, The Town is very much an ensemble piece. Perhaps the most resonating turn comes from Jeremy Renner, the Oscar nominated lead from last years The Hurt Locker (2009). Renner’s James Coughlin is viscious in the tradition of Goodfellas Tommy DeVito, a loose canon that brings with him a nerve-wracking sense of danger whenever he appears onscreen. Renner’s creation is a terrible creature that one cant keep their eyes off of, in spite of the natural urge to look away in fear. That his is the most thoroughly honest redemptive arc throughout the film, even over that of Affleck’s MacRay is noteworthy, in that it affirms the notion that a past is unshakeable. While the MacRay of the final frames may be personally “free”, he doesn’t feel wholly removed from his life of crime. As films like A History Of Violence (2005) or Gilda (1946) have shown, your past will catch up with you, so with that in mind one finds it difficult to accept that the climax of The Town brings with it the end of MacRay’s story. In comparison Coughlin’s tale has come full circle, hence the concept of whole and complete redemption for the character.

Elsewhere in The Town, Jon Hamm, most notable for his starring role in television’s Mad Men makes the leap to the big screen in a turn that impresses. His Adam Frawley, FBI agent and classic exemplar of the cinema G-Man results in Hamm’s presence definitely being felt on the big screen, although I don’t think anyone had any serious worries that he wouldn’t make the transition from mediums without success. Rebecca Hall turns in yet another great performance, with her love interest turned unintentional femme fatale providing a welcome punctuation point from the largely masculine display of action elsewhere in the picture, as does Blake Lively, apparently unrecognisable (although I personally wouldn’t recognise her anyway) as MacRay’s junkie ex-girlfriend. But for this viewer it was Titus Welliver, another veteran of American television (Deadwood, Lost) that sums up the quality of the character acting on display in The Town, here following up on his appearance in Affleck’s Gone Baby Gone with the sort of performance that makes one long for a greater respect for the actor.

When discussing the heist film one can’t help but look towards the greats of the 1940′s and 50′s, with the subgenre one of the major plot providers for Film Noir. The likes of John Huston’s The Asphalt Jungle (1950) and Jules Dassin’s Rififi (1955) defined the genre, although it has proved to be one of the most malleable and temporally adaptable genres, with the likes of Stanley Kubrick’s The Killing (1956), Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs (1991) and Steven Soderbergh’s Ocean’s Eleven (2001) displaying how the concept of the heist genre has changed to fit the needs of its contemporary viewer. The Town resembles the earlier films mentioned rather than the post-modern likes of the latter, yet still manages to somehow feel fresh and exciting. Tonally and narratively The Killing is its closest comparison, although the manner in which that film is structured separates the two heavily. The sprawling nature of the manner in which The Town is relayed to the viewer reminds of another Dassin film, The Naked City (1948), with the combined clout of his Boston Trilogy hypothetically interweaving to create a portrait of the city vast in its representation. The films of James Gray also make for an apt reference point too, with Affleck’s brand of depicting the working class reminiscent of Gray’s distinct style.

If there has been one overt criticism levelled at The Town it is that it is too workman-like, that it is well constructed but ultimately very average. Similar aspersions are often cast at the more recent work of Clint Eastwood, with those striking the claims seemingly unaware of the difference between effortless and workman-like. You want emotion? This has it in the deconstruction of the life of the criminal. You want excitement? Inception aside I can’t recall an action scene as exciting as the car chase through the narrow streets of Boston on display here. The Town is one of the most strikingly effective films I’ve seen all year, its subtlety proving massively endearing, and its solid construction placing Affleck alongside the greatest of hopes for the modern American cinema.

vad3r -> RE: The Town (23/9/2010 9:27:29 PM)

Who would have thought Ben Affleck would be the next Paul Thomas Anderson?

adambatman82 -> RE: The Town (23/9/2010 10:07:40 PM)

While I wouldn't go that far, The Town is in my top five of the year thus far. I think for me there is a top tier in American cinema that consists of Scorsese, Eastwood, Nolan and PTA, with a few filmmakers only being held off by the fact that they haven't produced quite as many films as those listed afore, James Gray being perhaps a good example. I think that if Affleck knocks another flick out of the park of the quality of this and Gone Baby Gone then he'll easily be up there with James Gray, and well on his way to joining the upper ranks.

vad3r -> RE: The Town (23/9/2010 11:37:41 PM)

Yeah I agree, it's early days and he needs a couple more films under his belt.
I would add the Coens, Spielberg, Tarantino, Fincher, Pixar and maybe Mendes and Mann onto that list though.

The kUrGaN -> CRACKING ! (25/9/2010 7:19:32 AM)

Loved it ! Ben Affleck should do MORE of these. Highly recommended.

jamesjewell1983 -> (25/9/2010 7:50:48 AM)

am still on a bit of love-in for The Departed and (way back) Traffic for recent crime flicks; but this is definetly worth checking out in all. looking fwd to seeing what else Affleck brings to the '10s. irrelevant & childish i know: but crikey, Rebecca Hall is smoking hot, no wonder he stuck himself in the leading role. perks of being director i guess

Bighousewill -> Wow!! The Town...Intense, Gripping Stuff!, Awesome!! (25/9/2010 1:31:12 PM)

This film just gripped me from the start to finish it was very intense, Ben Affleck has done good gone baby gone was good but this film just blew me away I felt like applauding at the end. Excellent film

Filmfan 2 -> RE: Wow!! The Town...Intense, Gripping Stuff!, Awesome!! (25/9/2010 4:46:32 PM)

I saw this yesterday evening, and on this form, Ben Affleck looks set to become a heavyweight directing talent.

The Town was an immensely enjoyable film that really drew me in right from the start. The film is peppered with great performances, and there are some genuinely tense moments during the heists. It is beautifully shot, with Affleck showing a deft touch when it comes to pacing and unshowy editing. The action scenes were well put together, the characters were people you could actually invest in and root for; it's worth mentioning the wonderfully subtle score that underpinned the whole film.

I hope Affleck can keep up this form, as he's turning into somewhat a favourite of mine. Definitely in my top 5 of the year so far.

4.5/5

joanna likes films -> Very Good, Worth Checking Out. (25/9/2010 4:53:09 PM)

The Town is a very good film that is worth checking out and peeks around one of my fave films of 2010 along with Prince Of Persia and How To Train Your Dragon. Ben Affleck is excellent as the lead and director, he's done a outstanding job. Jon Hamm is also on top form, sexy and rather talented I hope he will appear in more films in the future. The action scenes are jaw-dropping and exicting, the emotional story is powerful and very moving. Recommended.

joanna likes films -> Very Good, Worth Checking Out. (25/9/2010 4:53:10 PM)

The Town is a very good film that is worth checking out and peeks around one of my fave films of 2010 along with Prince Of Persia and How To Train Your Dragon. Ben Affleck is excellent as the lead and director, he's done a outstanding job. Jon Hamm is also on top form, sexy and rather talented I hope he will appear in more films in the future. The action scenes are jaw-dropping and exicting, the emotional story is powerful and very moving. Recommended.

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: Very Good, Worth Checking Out. (25/9/2010 7:49:13 PM)

Excellent stuff here.
It is very visual and raw,with genuinely tense scenes.
It is great to see a whole cast that bring their A game to the table.Affleck the actor is rock solid here,but Reiner steals the show.
It is about the struggle of getting away from your upbringing while it trys to keep you sucked in-for all the wrong reasons.
The Departed was a grand spectacle about a big city and big players-this is absolutely lowest of the low society here told from an utterly parochial viewpoint that is botht the communitys strength and weakness.The are no big stars pitching for Oscars here-it is gritty and real,and all the better for it.
There are some flaws,it is certainly not perfect,but they are excusable and do not affect the overall quality of the film.
The action sequences are quite like the tone of the film,very close and very personal,and very well done.
Affleck knocks another one out of the park here.
A solid 4 stars.

juanvasquez -> RE: Very Good, Worth Checking Out. (26/9/2010 12:20:38 AM)

Top film.

Great set pieces, brilliant cast and there's just something about Boston crime dramas.

4/5

yadayadayada -> Are You Serious? (26/9/2010 12:53:56 PM)

Generic, Cliched, Hammed down by a convulted and unrealistic Storyline. Predictable and not a patch on Gone, Baby, Gone which actually contained a degree of nuance.

kenada_woo -> RE: Very Good, Worth Checking Out. (26/9/2010 3:16:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Top film.

Great set pieces, brilliant cast and there's just something about Boston crime dramas.

4/5

Saw it last night...and its true.

Maybe its the small towns and how well people like Affleck depicts the characters...they're all very real and believable. I mean, a crime boss working out of a florists is meant to be tough? When you watch it, the characters, and the history the characters talk about (where they're from etc) make it look like a place you wouldnt want to live around.

Anyway, loved the film. Its never big, never flashy and not 100mph. Its thoughtful, gripping, with some great padded out and authentic characters that has some stirring action set-pieces.

Good stuff

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI