Devil (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Devil (17/9/2010 5:57:23 PM)

Post your comments on this article

beebs_ -> RE: Any chance of a review of this before it's released on DVD? (17/9/2010 11:37:05 PM)

No review is pretty poor.

I went to see it. I liked it well enough. Nothing amazing, but good silly fun on a Friday night.

notthemessiah -> RE: Any chance of a review of this before it's released on DVD? (18/9/2010 9:49:01 AM)

There were no press screenings for this film so Empire would have to queue with Joe Public on Friday afternoon.
Then off to the pub, a curry and another coulpe of pints. Finally set about writing their review of the film after midnight, Saturday morning. Rewrite it Sunday after another session and a kebab Saturday night.
Back in the office Monday, get it typed onto the website, checked and double checked.
Expect a review to be up Tuesday.

Ethanial -> RE: Any chance of a review of this before it's released on DVD? (18/9/2010 5:26:42 PM)

Wednesday if Tuesday's karaoke night goes ahead as planned.

Gretzky -> RE: (20/9/2010 4:56:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: captain jack harknes

I quite liked it but...

***SPOILER***
At the end the young guy talks to the cop using a walkie talkie - where was that the whole rest of the film???

Other than that it was an enjoyable Friday evening film

**SPOILER**

I sometimes really wonder how people follow films... Remember they could hear the maintenance worker on the top of the lift when he fell to his death? That was through his walkie talkie. When the lift falls, we see the walkie talkie falls into the lift and hence that's where it comes from.... [;)]

I really liked this film. Concise, A>B>C filmmaking that understands the craft both in vision and in scripting. Great acting, tight script.

skeletonjack -> RE: RE: (20/9/2010 7:07:37 PM)

I really enjoyed this. It was a fast paced and fun little horror flick. I'd read somewhere that it reminded them of a Twilight Zone style story and I'd go along with that.
Loved the opening titles footage too, such a simple idea perfectly executed.
4 Stars

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: (5/10/2010 5:58:10 PM)

Seen this the other day.
Amazingly,it isn't that bad!!
It is shot well,though i agree with another poster who said there are images in it that make no sense at times.
It has a good feeling of claustrophobia,but i wouldn't pitch this as a horror film.
Unfortunately,the final third is a bit cliched and formulaic,but all in all,it's decent.

Edward Nygma -> RE: RE: (6/10/2010 2:05:28 PM)

So the one annoyingly religious guy was right all along??? Well WOOP-DEE-DOO!

Seriously though, Devil was decent enough. Starts off really well. Shame it had to be supernatural because it really didn't need to be. The whole thing would have worked much better if one of the people in the elevator was a psycho and we have to guess who...simple but effective.

But the Devil? Are you kidding me?

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: RE: (7/10/2010 3:03:10 PM)

It's Oscar-worthy in comparison to the Happening[:D]

Edward Nygma -> RE: RE: (7/10/2010 8:24:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

It's Oscar-worthy in comparison to the Happening[:D]

lol So's The Last Airbender (Well, lets say Golden Blobe worthy).

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: RE: (8/10/2010 12:44:05 AM)

You took this thread to a whole new depth![:D]
Even the Happy Meal toys were nonsense with that garbage!

redpaw -> RE: Devil (11/1/2011 11:40:02 PM)

Not a fan of the Shamalamalaa but I was intrigued to see this -- sounded like an interesting premise -- five people stuck in a lift and one of them is supposed to be the Devil!

It's unfortunate then that that's all you get since - SPOILER - one of them actually IS the Devil. I don't know, I suppose I just expected something a little cleverer than that. While I was watching, I didn't suspect ANY of the five at all, I thought it was gonna turn out to be the grey-haired security guard and the folks were all just killing one another. I don't know, I just don't by the Devil simply showing up and just out right killing people - seems very bland and uninspired.

Just didn't like this - shame, it was an interesting concept.

evil bill -> RE: Scary, Jumpy And A Good Twist. (17/1/2011 7:53:26 PM)

M. Night Shyamalan has churned out a few poor films of late, but his new thriller Devil could mark his return to form,thought not directed by him,it's produced and written by Night.It's the first of Night Chronicles series which going by this the first,could work as long as Shyamalan stays away from lame twist endings.This is a very effective chiller/thriller,with some great ideas and scares, as well as some terrific atmospheric moments.It kept me glued as you try to guess who is the Devil,or is it just a red herring to confuse you,well i'm not giving anything away.As you would expect from Mr M Night it has it's fair share of religious metaphors spread throughout,but unlike his last couple of movie's it's not in your face.

From the opening with the upside-down sklyline and great score which speaks volumes,and gives a little shiver for what is to come.This is a well directed,acted,and scripted movie,full of surprise's,as it gets deeper with every twist in the plot.The director John Erick Dowdle the guy behind the decent remake of REC (Quarantine), bring Shyamalan's story a reality that he could not have done.You feel the tension in the claustrophobic lift, where five strangers happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, each of them being trapped inside the lift and sharing some common traits that will be revealed as the plot unfolds.He also managed to steer clear of the usual clichés for a fright fest, and rightly so as this is not a straight forward horror movie,and yet the way it's filmed,IE the visuals add to the mounting terror.

The acting is soild with the victims, mechanic (Logan Marshall- Green), an old woman (Jenny O'Hara), a young woman (Bojana Novakovic), a guard (Bokeem Woodbine) and a salesman (Geoffrey Arend)all very believable and interesting,as we learn just that bit more to add to the pain.Then there's Detective Bowden (Chris Messina) who we get to know very well indeed,and gives the movie it's centre,he is on a suicide investigation,then gets caught up in a trapped people in a lift drama. As he tire's to make sense of what's going on, balancing his deductive prowess against something that cannot be explained by logic,he realizes that he's up against something that's truly inexplicable.This is what makes this movie for me,following the Detective as he struggles with what is unfolding before him i a serris of bizarre events.

This movie made me nostalgic for those Omen/Exorcist days,where it didn't matter if you believed or not in the Devil or not,but you still got chills up and down your back.This may not be the scariest movie of last year,but it is an intelligent well made chiller that if you can suspend you beliefs for a while will deliver a good few thrills/chills and twists,with a decent ending that might just surprise you.8/10

greyan -> RE: Scary, Jumpy And A Good Twist. (24/1/2011 12:44:40 PM)

Seriously , I haven't seen it. But you all have done awesome discussion about this movie. I think I have to watch it.

reminn -> (31/1/2011 5:23:07 PM)

Good.

paulyboy -> RE: (4/2/2011 4:16:59 PM)

Really quite genuinely suprising little flick this.

I won't say much other than it's well paced, well performed and suprisingly effective, all wrapped around a fantastic little story with some genuinely solid shocks and jolts along the way.

I'll go out on a limb here and say it's the best thing Shyamalan has been involved with since Signs.

Thoroughly recommended.

4/5

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI