RE: What Could Have Been (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

LEEJGM -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 2:35:58 PM)

Face/Off with Arnie and Sly (apparently the script was written with them in mind), as much as I like them, would've been a massively inferior film.
Same with Sly as Superman.  I'm glad Brando caused a stink about that.
On the flip side, I'm glad Sly dug his heels in to keep the role of Rocky instead of Burt Reynolds or James Caan.

Mel Gibson in Gladiator would have just been Braveheart in Rome.

Back to the Future with Erik Stoltz....There are so many great things in BttF but Michael J Fox steals it.

DazDaMan -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 2:36:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

I'm glad Richard Gere didn't want the role of John McClane in Die Hard because Bruce Willis was awesome in that role
Will Smith turned down the Matrix so Keanu Reeves got it, I think it would have been cool with Will Smith in it

NO! Will Smith would have just 'Will Smith'ed' it up with 'Hell no!', 'You did not just do that!' and other Will Smithisms

wasnt it more of a action comedy type role when will smith was attached?

No, I think Smith genuinely doubted he was suitable for the role.

LEEJGM -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 2:51:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

I'm glad Richard Gere didn't want the role of John McClane in Die Hard because Bruce Willis was awesome in that role
Will Smith turned down the Matrix so Keanu Reeves got it, I think it would have been cool with Will Smith in it

NO! Will Smith would have just 'Will Smith'ed' it up with 'Hell no!', 'You did not just do that!' and other Will Smithisms

wasnt it more of a action comedy type role when will smith was attached?

No, I think Smith genuinely doubted he was suitable for the role.

Yeah, he was probably worried that he'd bring some personality into it.  No risk of that with Keanu.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 4:27:13 PM)

Will Smith in The Matrix?

[image]http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/06-27-08-recast/Robotic-T-Rex.jpg[/image]

Might've worked...

Tech_Noir -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 5:00:25 PM)

Harrison Ford as Jim Garrison in JFK, just curious to see what it would have been like.

Probably no different.

vad3r -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 5:16:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Harrison Ford as Jim Garrison in JFK, just curious to see what it would have been like.

Probably no different.

He would just be running around telling random people he wants his family back.

Sphinx -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 8:02:20 PM)

I actually would have liked Ford in the Hunt For Red October, it would be a proper trilogy then instead of this strange Bond type thing with new guys as Jack Ryan

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 9:29:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

I actually would have liked Ford in the Hunt For Red October, it would be a proper trilogy then instead of this strange Bond type thing with new guys as Jack Ryan

They should have just kept Baldwin IMO.

Bloke from Oz -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 11:43:45 AM)

I for one would be quite interested to see Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark - who knows how his career would have turned out.

DazDaMan -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 11:50:58 AM)

The extras disc in the boxed set has his audition scene in it (can't remember who with, but it's the medallion/bar scene).

Interesting, though. I think Selleck would have made a half-decent Jones.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 11:51:14 AM)

Bill Murray in Terry Gilliam's Forrest Gump would have rocked.

Vitamin F -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 1:05:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

Stuart Townsend + Aragorn = disaster.

Based on the audition footage, I think that Kurt Russell could've been a great Han Solo, and Terri Nunn (aka the singer of 'Take My Breath Away') could've been good as Princess Leia. Am still glad that Tom Selleck had to pass on Indiana Jones.

Holy shit, this is the first I've ever heard of this!
Why did this not happen? One of the best big names that never really achieved the full-on BIG NAME status he deserves, and this could have been his finest hour. Shocking.

Darth Marenghi -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 4:18:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

Why did this not happen? One of the best big names that never really achieved the full-on BIG NAME status he deserves, and this could have been his finest hour. Shocking.

Because Ford was better as Solo - simple as that.

Timon -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 4:23:40 PM)

I can only imagine how different Drive would have been if Neil Marshall had directed and Hugh Jackman had starred as was going to be the case originally....

Cool Breeze -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 7:37:41 PM)

quote:

quote:

Based on the audition footage, I think that Kurt Russell could've been a great Han Solo, and Terri Nunn (aka the singer of 'Take My Breath Away') could've been good as Princess Leia. Am still glad that Tom Selleck had to pass on Indiana Jones.

You want to know how Russell would have played Han Solo, watch Big Trouble In little China.Jack Burton is like Hans deadbeat brother.

horribleives -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 7:52:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I can only imagine how different Drive would have been if Neil Marshall had directed and Hugh Jackman had starred as was going to be the case originally....

I'm fairly certain the soundtrack wouldn't have been as awesome.

gunstar -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 8:25:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I actually wouldn't have minded seeing that.

UTB -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 10:37:41 PM)

I always thought the original idea for The Crow would have been a giggle.

According to James O'Barr (the creator), they studios originally wanted to film it as a musical starring Micheal Jackson.

I suppose the make-up part wouldn't have a stretch.

DazDaMan -> RE: What Could Have Been (24/2/2012 11:04:30 PM)

Fuck.

That.

AngryDude92 -> RE: What Could Have Been (25/2/2012 12:58:51 PM)

Wasn't Stallone originally going to star in Beverly Hills Cop and it was meant to be a straight action flick.
It probably would have just belnded in amongst the others.[:D]

DazDaMan -> RE: What Could Have Been (25/2/2012 1:38:38 PM)

I think so. I might be wrong, but the script for what eventually became Cobra was more what Stallone had in mind for Beverley Hills Cop.

Shifty Bench -> RE: What Could Have Been (25/2/2012 2:22:22 PM)

No, you're right, Daz, that was the plan. Sly took what he wrote for BHC and put it into Cobra. [:)]

Spaldron -> RE: What Could Have Been (25/2/2012 4:26:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

No, you're right, Daz, that was the plan. Sly took what he wrote for BHC and put it into Cobra. [:)]

Cobra was based on a novel though wasn't it?

filmfanatic123 -> RE: What Could Have Been (25/2/2012 8:30:15 PM)

Sorry for the sheer amount but I have to share all that I know!
Mel Gibson turned down the lead in Gladiator and Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves. Would have been crap in Gladiator, would have been awesome in Robin Hood.
Alec Baldwin turned down Richard Kimball in The Fugitive. Could have been interesting.
Keanu Reeves turned down Charlie Sheen's role in Platoon. Thank fuck for that!
Denzel Washington turned down I Robot. Will Smith got it instead and it was awesome. Would have been interesting with Washington though.
Will Smith turned down the lead in Phone Booth. Now that would have been very interesting!
Leonardo Di Caprio turned down The Matrix as well as Will Smith.
John Travolta turned down Forrest Gump. For that I am eternally grateful.
Tom Hanks turned down Andy Dufresne for The Shawshank Redemption.
Hugh Jackman turned down Daniel Craig's Bond. That would've been amazing.
Tom Cruise was nearly Edwin Salt. Angelina Jolie got the role after he turned it down though and was Evelyn Salt.
Matt Damon and Jake Gyllenhaal both turned down Sam Worthington's role in Avatar. Would've loved Damon in it.
Tom Cruise turned down Kevin Bacon's role in Footloose and finally

Jack Nicholson turned down Michael Corleone in The Godfather! It could've been him!!!

Spaldron -> RE: What Could Have Been (26/2/2012 1:50:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmfanatic123

Tom Hanks turned down Andy Dufresne for The Shawshank Redemption.
Hugh Jackman turned down Daniel Craig's Bond. That would've been amazing.

Not sure these two are true. According to Darabont there were some big names like Hanks interested but Robbins was the only one he wanted for the part. And the Jackman thing is bollocks, there's no way EON would pick a non-British actor for Bond.

DazDaMan -> RE: What Could Have Been (26/2/2012 9:17:42 AM)

*cough* Lazenby *cough*

[;)]

And I seem to recall Mr Bad Ass himself, Clint Eastwood, was asked for one of them, but he turned it down, citing that "an Englishman should play Bond".

Vitamin F -> RE: What Could Have Been (1/3/2012 1:27:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

You want to know how Russell would have played Han Solo, watch Big Trouble In little China.Jack Burton is like Hans deadbeat brother.

Ha, this is exactly what came to mind when I first found this out, which is why it should have happened!
Don't like BTiLC actually, but Russell played that character so well...can just picture him shooting Greedo (first).

Darth Marenghi -> RE: What Could Have Been (1/3/2012 1:35:41 PM)

Nicolas Cage's recent revelation in the Empire webchat that he was offered a big role in Lord of the Rings was mind-boggling. [:D]

Spaldron -> RE: What Could Have Been (1/3/2012 1:51:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

Nicolas Cage's recent revelation in the Empire webchat that he was offered a big role in Lord of the Rings was mind-boggling. [:D]

This ^

I'm still not sure what character he was offered. It couldn't have been Aragorn he's far too goofy for that role, maybe a Hobbit?

Back to thread imagine Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones, how do you think that would've worked?

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: What Could Have Been (1/3/2012 2:02:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

This ^

I'm still not sure what character he was offered. It couldn't have been Aragorn he's far too goofy for that role, maybe a Hobbit?

Back to thread imagine Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones, how do you think that would've worked?

I think he would have done ok.
The good thing about Indiana Jones is that it has very tongue in cheek humour,which Selleck could have just portrayed as well as Ford did.
Though I will obviously stick with Ford.He is after all the more rounded actor,but things would have certaintly ended up differently for Selleck had he taken the role.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI