What Could Have Been (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

TheSpleen -> What Could Have Been (14/9/2010 8:39:35 PM)

How about a thread of how actors turning down roles could have improved or changed the film in question?

I remember Kevin Costner turning down the role of Bill in Kill Bill. That could have been very interesting.

Robin Williams as Joker in Tim Burton's Batman would have been awesome too and may have created a new intepretation that could have stunned a late 80's audience.

Any others?

foodage -> RE: What Could Have Been (14/9/2010 9:15:58 PM)

Daniel Day-Lewis tried to get the role of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction. Obviously John Travolta was perfect for that part, but Day Lewis is one of my favourite actors. Seems crazy to picture anyone other than Travolta but would love to know how the film would have turned out.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: What Could Have Been (14/9/2010 9:50:31 PM)

I still wonder what Dougray Scott's Wolverine would have been like.

quote:

ORIGINAL: foodage

Daniel Day-Lewis tried to get the role of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction. Obviously John Travolta was perfect for that part, but Day Lewis is one of my favourite actors. Seems crazy to picture anyone other than Travolta but would love to know how the film would have turned out.

Of course, the original actor was meant to be Michael Madsen himself, playing the twin of his Reservoir Dogs character.

adambatman82 -> RE: What Could Have Been (14/9/2010 11:17:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSpleen

I remember Kevin Costner turning down the role of Bill in Kill Bill. That could have been very interesting.

I'd rather have seen Warren Beatty in the role, as was originally cast. Would have been nice to see him relevant for the first time in decades.

David Lynch's Return Of The Jedi raises all manner of questions, as does the idea of Bill Murray as Burton's Batman.

TheSpleen -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 9:10:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

I'd rather have seen Warren Beatty in the role, as was originally cast. Would have been nice to see him relevant for the first time in decades.

David Lynch's Return Of The Jedi raises all manner of questions, as does the idea of Bill Murray as Burton's Batman.

Ahh i didn't know about Beatty wow that would have been.. odd ha! Good though.
If Gilliam had ended up directing Harry Potter i may have given the series a chance too.
Speaking of Pulp Fiction wasn't Mickey Rourke the original choice for Butch?

BelfastBoy -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 10:28:36 AM)

Stuart Townsend + Aragorn = disaster.

Based on the audition footage, I think that Kurt Russell could've been a great Han Solo, and Terri Nunn (aka the singer of 'Take My Breath Away') could've been good as Princess Leia. Am still glad that Tom Selleck had to pass on Indiana Jones.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 2:58:28 PM)

quote:

At least he can actually box, I suppose.[:D]

Sphinx -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 5:14:58 PM)

Sean Connery as either Gandalf or Sauruman

"You shall not PAAAAAAAASSSSH[;)] 

Mickey Rourke in Platoon

Winona Ryder in Shakespeare in love

Snake-Eyes -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 5:34:33 PM)

Kirk Douglas as Colonel Trautman in FIRST BLOOD

Bob Hoskins as Al Capone in THE UNTOUCHABLES

David Warner as Fred Krueger in A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET

Snake-Eyes -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 6:18:11 PM)

MICHAEL DOUGLAS & HARRISON FORD in FACE OFF

MICHAEL IRONSIDE as ROBOCOP

CHARLES BRONSON as Snake Plissken in ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK

TheSpleen -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 6:29:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

At least he can actually box, I suppose.[:D]

I would have loved seeing him as butch! And yeah the boxing background would have been cool!

TheSpleen -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 6:31:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

Imagine Seth Gecko and Indiana Jones trading faces! That would've been awesome!

TheSpleen -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 6:33:09 PM)

Oh and Tarantino's original choice of Adam Sandler as the Bear Jew would have been so great. Imagine that build up to the reveal of the Bear Jew in that cave only for Sandler to burst out bashing people in the head!

Snake-Eyes -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 8:44:31 PM)

quote:

quote:

You mean GORDON Gecko right? [;)]

Snake-Eyes -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 8:45:59 PM)

quote:

Oh and Tarantino's original choice of Adam Sandler as the Bear Jew would have been so great. Imagine that build up to the reveal of the Bear Jew in that cave only for Sandler to burst out bashing people in the head!

If this had happened, there is the most slightest of possibilities that Snake-Eyes may have enjoyed some of this film. Maybe.

I can't stand Eli Roth.

chewbacasnapsak -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 9:06:08 PM)

the car crash of Nicholas Cage as Tim Burton's Superman would have been interesting.

TheSpleen -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 9:25:57 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

You mean GORDON Gecko right? [;)]

Ha yeah i watched Dusk Till Dawn today must have been stuck in my head [:D]

TheSpleen -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 9:27:37 PM)

On Eli Roth i would have prefered Sandler. Tarantino considers PTA a director on his 'Level' so to speak and i think he wanted to show he could get a performance out of Sandler just like PTA did.

Ghidorah -> RE: What Could Have Been (15/9/2010 11:54:27 PM)

Kurt Russell as Han Solo, that would be very interesting epecially if he went on to star in Indiana Jones.

Sean Connery in Crystal Skull, hopefully replacing Jone's son and making the film decent. Best of all no monkeys.

Judge -> RE: What Could Have Been (16/9/2010 11:40:21 AM)

How different would Stallones's career have been if Robert Redford got the role of Rocky?
I'm very against the idea of an American as Bond, but Sam Neill's audition tape was admittedly good.

theieuan -> RE: What Could Have Been (16/9/2010 12:08:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judge

How different would Stallones's career have been if Robert Redford got the role of Rocky?
I'm very against the idea of an American as Bond, but Sam Neill's audition tape was admittedly good.

Sam Neill's not a Yankee. He was born in Northern Ireland and raised in New Zealand

Judge -> RE: What Could Have Been (16/9/2010 12:13:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theieuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judge

Sam Neill's not a Yankee. He was born in Northern Ireland and raised in New Zealand

I don't mean Sam Neill, James Brolin. Just thinking of Brolin made me remember Neill, my mistake.

John76 -> RE: What Could Have Been (16/9/2010 5:38:42 PM)

David Cronenberg directing Basic Instinct 2
Darren Aaronofksy directing Robocop

richie fingers -> RE: What Could Have Been (16/9/2010 7:02:58 PM)

didnt know that. thought they were going to do a vega brothers film. why didnt madsen do it?
[/quote]

Of course, the original actor was meant to be Michael Madsen himself, playing the twin of his Reservoir Dogs character.

[/quote]

darth silas -> RE: What Could Have Been (16/9/2010 8:45:07 PM)

quote:

quote:

If this had happened, there is the most slightest of possibilities that Snake-Eyes may have enjoyed some of this film. Maybe.

I can't stand Eli Roth.

Same here.The guy is a talentless douchebag who makes crap films and only gets acting roles cos hes friends with Tarantino.

Paul Verhoevens Return Of The Jedi would have been interesting.He was apparently up for the job until Speilberg told Lucas that he directed Spetters.Verhoeven later said in an interview that maybe Lucas and Speilberg were afraid that the Jedi would start fucking and blowing peoples brains out[:D]

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: What Could Have Been (16/9/2010 9:48:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: richie fingers

didnt know that. thought they were going to do a vega brothers film. why didnt madsen do it?

He did Kasdan's Wyatt Earp instead. Tarantino apparently didn't speak to him for years because of it.

JoeyPottr -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 5:15:25 AM)

I'm glad Richard Gere didn't want the role of John McClane in Die Hard because Bruce Willis was awesome in that role
Will Smith turned down the Matrix so Keanu Reeves got it, I think it would have been cool with Will Smith in it
Meg Ryan , Daryl Hannah, Sean Young all turned down Pretty Woman, really I can only see Julia Roberts in that role though and Mickey Rourke turned down Edward Lewis (Richard Gere's role) I think Rourke would have made a good Edward Lewis but with a bit more edge obviously.
Tom Selleck was supposed to be Indiana Jones but he was doing Magnum PI at the time and could not do it, but there is NO other Indiana Jones than Harrison Ford
Robert Downey Jr, lost the role of John Bender to Judd Nelson, I think Downey would have been great in that role, I think it would have been twice as funny and poignant too if Downey was in that role
Mickey Rourke turned down Top Gun, I think it would have been interesting to see him as Maverick, actually Rourke turned down pretty much every big movie that came his way for a long time.

will1000 -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 1:44:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

I'm glad Richard Gere didn't want the role of John McClane in Die Hard because Bruce Willis was awesome in that role
Will Smith turned down the Matrix so Keanu Reeves got it, I think it would have been cool with Will Smith in it

NO! Will Smith would have just 'Will Smith'ed' it up with 'Hell no!', 'You did not just do that!' and other Will Smithisms

Frank Castle -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 2:02:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

NO! Will Smith would have just 'Will Smith'ed' it up with 'Hell no!', 'You did not just do that!' and other Will Smithisms

wasnt it more of a action comedy type role when will smith was attached?

BudBaxter -> RE: What Could Have Been (17/9/2010 2:24:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

Sean Connery in Crystal Skull, hopefully replacing Jone's son and making the film decent. Best of all no monkeys.

Don't think that would have worked. He's far too old to play Indy's son. [:D]

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
6.298828E-02