The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films

pete_traynor -> The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (31/8/2010 3:44:40 PM)

For me, without doubt, one of the stand out films of the last 10 years! I’m enamoured by every second of it and having found nothing by searching it, I decided to start a threat in celebration of it. One of the most important and uncomfortably hard hitting films I have seen in many years. Cauron’s direction on this has such confidence and nerve shredding momentum that I felt I had been to war by the time the lights went up. Yes, the car attack tracking shot is absolutely marvellous but it’s the Bexhill battle steady cam shot that stands as one of best I have ever seen. The planning, commitment and skill involved in pulling that off is nothing shot of staggering. The soldier’s reactions to Theo exiting with the baby is a genuinely gentle and touching moment after the utter carnage that precedes and follows it. The whole sequence is almost as devastating as the Omaha Beach landing in Saving Private Ryan. The film also employs and similar war torn, washed out colour scheme to Ryan as well.

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1413/1198605599_220c770173.jpg[/img]

From the opening I knew this was to be an uncompromising ride!

[img]http://www.jigsawlounge.co.uk/film/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/childrenbig.jpg[/img]

And as uncomfortable and worryingly close to actual events as it is, it is good to see directors use Britain for such dystopian and morose visual effect. It’s ‘nice’ to see it depicted so unsettling and grim, as it is in the likes of Children of Men and Eastern Promises for example, as apposed to the sickly sweet Curtis like Britain that shows up in films all too often.

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1216/1199471288_1f08ce2e7a.jpg[/img]

Anyway, I absolutely adore the film. And if you do too… get involved.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (31/8/2010 4:07:04 PM)

Ah, but is it British?

*runs away*

pete_traynor -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (31/8/2010 4:10:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Ah, but is it British?

*runs away*

I don't know, is it? You tell me, as I didn't say it was. [&:]

DaveTheStampede -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (31/8/2010 5:42:38 PM)

quote:

The soldier’s reactions to Theo exiting with the baby is a genuinely gentle and touching moment after the utter carnage that precedes and follows it.

That is quite possibly the most... I don't know, stunning moment, I suppose, that I have ever seen.  Silence save for the baby's cry, the small glimmer of hope it has kindled, soldiers so willing to massacre innocent civilians looking on in wonder, some crossing themselves and praying their thanks... then *BAM*, a rebel fires off a rocket, the spell is broken, and it all kicks off again.

But yes, this is a great film, and I share the adoration.

MarcE -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (31/8/2010 7:50:28 PM)

I really liked the first half, I think it died off a little bit towards the end. Still enjoyable though. Makes you think.

Deviation -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (31/8/2010 8:04:59 PM)

It is an outstanding film. 

DAVID GILLESPIE -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (31/8/2010 9:32:26 PM)

I thought this was gripping from start to finish. The action effect when Owen kicks the car door off the passing biker is breathtaking.

simonmckergan1 -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (31/8/2010 10:33:02 PM)

Love this film.  Has anyone read the book by P.D James?

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (31/8/2010 11:57:54 PM)

A great, gripping film.Outstanding performance by the man who should be Bond.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (1/9/2010 12:00:07 AM)

Brilliant British film.

theieuan -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (1/9/2010 8:24:01 AM)

Brilliant film. The action scenes are incredible and certainly some of the best I've seen for a long while. Very under-rated film and would recommend it to anybody.

crimond -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (1/9/2010 9:11:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

Love this film.  Has anyone read the book by P.D James?

I have read the book a couple of times and its one of the few occasions where the film is far superior to the book.  Although the book is good, it suffers from a very unlikeable lead character.  The film imo improves on almost every aspect of the book.
As has been mentioned the scene where the baby starts to cry is amazing, everyone getting out of their hiding places to look despite the risk.  I didn't even like Clive Owen before this film.

dj vivace -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (1/9/2010 7:46:53 PM)

Without a doubt one of the best films of the last ten years. Incredible!

jobloffski -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (6/9/2010 9:39:34 AM)

Though I find Caine ridiculously unconvincing in the is film, it's not a deal breaker.

And it is quite correct that the silence, save for the sound of a crying baby is a stunning moment.

The sound of a child crying can be the most irritating, nerve jangling sound in the world. It takes a moment of sheer poetic genius to turn that around so it becomes the most heartbreakingly beautiful thing you'll ever hear. The sound of humanity itself.

hampstead bandit -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (6/9/2010 8:13:31 PM)

f*cking amazing film

if you have not yet seen this, and have a HD Blu-Ray setup, buy it now, and be prepared for a mind blowing viewing experience

it looks so real and gritty, a fantastic cast and gripping story, the set pieces are stunning (especially the final battle in the asylum camp)

highly recommended 5/5 for sure!

pete_traynor -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (7/9/2010 12:19:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hampstead bandit

f*cking amazing film

if you have not yet seen this, and have a HD Blu-Ray setup, buy it now, and be prepared for a mind blowing viewing experience

it looks so real and gritty, a fantastic cast and gripping story, the set pieces are stunning (especially the final battle in the asylum camp)

highly recommended 5/5 for sure!

It's stunning in HD! Imported it a few years ago when it was only available in Norway on Blu Ray!? [&:] No extras on that edition and it cost me about £33! Worth every penny.  It's now widely available and on play.com's 2 for £18 I believe! Oh well, no regrets eh [:D]

One of my favourite Blu Ray tranfers to this day.

The film is utterly stunning. All time great! And in terms of dystopian cinema, it pips Bladerunner for me. Maybe that’s one for the ‘Your Unpopular Opinion’ thread though… [:D]

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (8/9/2010 12:02:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Though I find Caine ridiculously unconvincing in the is film, it's not a deal breaker.

And it is quite correct that the silence, save for the sound of a crying baby is a stunning moment.

The sound of a child crying can be the most irritating, nerve jangling sound in the world. It takes a moment of sheer poetic genius to turn that around so it becomes the most heartbreakingly beautiful thing you'll ever hear. The sound of humanity itself.

Spot on,that is an excellent piece of analysis.
And again,a bloody great film!

Judge -> RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men (24/11/2012 11:30:37 PM)

just finished watching it again, absolutely exceptional. *Cliche warning* genuinely gets better with every viewing. *Cliche warning over*

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI