Dinner For Schmucks (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Dinner For Schmucks (30/8/2010 1:32:01 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Bighousewill -> Laughing at Idiots (30/8/2010 1:32:01 PM)

Setting up the premise we see a pair of hands crafting beautifully constructed scenes with stuffed mice and you assume this has something to do with our schmuck then the film starts with slow with not very much mirth until we meet Barry the idiot with a talent for mouse taxidermy and the build up to premise begins along the way you meet severalother idiots who are all hilariouse but this comedy is not really grounded in reality so the characters arent realistic but funny non the less and I laughed out loud about four times not that I was counting but I think my sense of humour is more finely tuned so where as I was satisfied with the film it wasnt as funny as I was expecting but in the end I just liked the story it was slightly heart warming.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Laughing at Idiots (30/8/2010 1:54:57 PM)

Might well see this this week. It is not normally the sort of film I would go for, but cannot get enough of Carell right now because of Micael Scott and liked him in Little Miss Sunshine and Date Night too.

DavidPMcGinty -> Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (30/8/2010 11:47:47 PM)

There are far too many laughs in this for it to be a two star movie. It's not perfect but there are brilliant performances, three fantastic characters (Carell, Clement and Galifianakis) and enough genuine belly laughs to overlook the awesome stupidity of Carell's character which is the major reason this isn't absolutely brilliant.

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (31/8/2010 1:30:56 PM)

It was OK not as good as I was expecting Rudd just seemed to be along for the ride especially for someone with his comedic background & record not enough laughs considering the talent on show.  3/5 Barely.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (31/8/2010 5:45:38 PM)

I don't think Rudd has aged that well to be fair.

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (5/9/2010 4:18:00 PM)

Dear Lord!
Sloppy,poorly directed and geuinely 2 stars(not as poor as a Sandler film).
The 2 leads simply cannot lead a film.Carrell,like Cera,needs to be the number 2 or 3 actor in a film.
He and Rudd share the lead,and they simply cannot bounce off each other in any really funny way.
Not utter bilge,but would advise only on a DVD.On a Monday.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (6/9/2010 1:51:13 AM)

Your wrong about Carell as he is the lead character is the American Office and also along with Tina Fey in Date Night and manges to pull both off.  The problem is hollywood keeps miscasting him as a weirdo.

I suspect you might be right about the film itself though.

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (6/9/2010 10:50:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Your wrong about Carell as he is the lead character is the American Office and also along with Tina Fey in Date Night and manges to pull both off.  The problem is hollywood keeps miscasting him as a weirdo.

I suspect you might be right about the film itself though.

Jesus,not Tina Fey here too[:D]
The American Office is nowhere near as good as the original.
Date night was like this,not terrible but not good.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (7/9/2010 2:59:07 PM)

But the weakiness in Date Night have nothing to do with Carell and Fey, their to do with the director and the inconsisticy of the jokes.  I define anyone to say that Fey and Carell are not funny and charming in that film.  Infact its a credit to them that some of the weaker gags are made better by their delivery.

And get with the times, a lot of people who love the British Office now consider the US version just as good if not better, it is a great comedy, end of[:)]

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (7/9/2010 11:55:26 PM)

I said it wasn't terrible[:D]
The American Office-please tell me you're joking.
Or Carell's number one fan[:D]

ElephantBoy -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (8/9/2010 1:18:29 AM)

Yes and chances are one of the reasons it was not terrible was due to Carrell's involvment, do you really not rate him, I think you are letting your views on some of his films cloud your judgement.

And yes read the Office US thread in the tv section to see that many people on here love it.  To me its become a little too easy just to write it off as a infarior follow up.  What is it you don't like about it by the way.

skeletonjack -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (8/9/2010 7:44:43 PM)

This was ok, but not as funny as it could or should have been given the talent involved.
A few scenes hit the spot, but the laughs aren't as frequent as you'd expect.
3 stars

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (8/9/2010 9:50:17 PM)

quote:

Yes and chances are one of the reasons it was not terrible was due to Carrell's involvment, do you really not rate him, I think you are letting your views on some of his films cloud your judgement.

And yes read the Office US thread in the tv section to see that many people on here love it.  To me its become a little too easy just to write it off as a infarior follow up.  What is it you don't like about it by the way.

Just on the Office,i prefer the original,i thought it was funnier.Maybe watching that first clouded my opinion(Gervais IS Brent),but it wasn't anything to do with Carrell-it's still quite well written,but not as well delivered,in my book.
As for Carrell the actor,he seems to have hit a brick wall.Evan Almighty was diabolical!
He's again stuck in a one dimensional acting void where he'll seemingly just repeat his role for the bucks-which is awful because Dan in Real Life is excellent,and i think he displays another dimension to his acting that should be out there more often!
He's not alone there,to be fair.
I think,back to the topic,the writing for this film was very poor,and even Rudd was out of synch here.

vad3r -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (8/9/2010 10:25:17 PM)

edited.

vad3r -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (8/9/2010 10:26:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

Just on the Office,i prefer the original,i thought it was funnier.Maybe watching that first clouded my opinion(Gervais IS Brent),but it wasn't anything to do with Carrell-it's still quite well written,but not as well delivered,in my book.
As for Carrell the actor,he seems to have hit a brick wall.Evan Almighty was diabolical!
He's again stuck in a one dimensional acting void where he'll seemingly just repeat his role for the bucks-which is awful because Dan in Real Life is excellent,and i think he displays another dimension to his acting that should be out there more often!
He's not alone there,to be fair.
I think,back to the topic,the writing for this film was very poor,and even Rudd was out of synch here.

Little Miss Sunshine? 40 Year Old Virgin? Anchorman? Dan In Real Life? Get Smart? That's hitting a brick wall yes? Oh wait I forgot, you pick the worst role of his career and judge his existence on that like always.
You do realise Steve Carrell doesn't play David Brent in the US Office, but a completely different character?
One dimensional acting? And Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell aren't?
So you've seen all 126 episodes of the US Office (compared to the 14 of the Gervais version) and they're all shit yes?

ElephantBoy -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (9/9/2010 1:11:54 AM)

To be fair he never said it was shit, just not as good as the British.

My take on Carell is that he works better in darker comdies, or at least playing bleaker characters, this is proven in things like Little Miss Sunshine and as Michael Scott in the Office.  Trouble is hollywood fail to reliase this and just keep casting him as grotisque oddballs.

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (9/9/2010 9:04:55 AM)

No,i didn't say it was shit,but that doesn't stop some people.[8|]
Brent is the stand out Gervais character and performance.I simply don't think the humour is that good when Americanised-and before i'm accused of being anti-American comedy,i'm just talking about this show.There are countless well-written and delivered American comedy shows.
But it still isn't terrible!
As for Carrell,i agree he needs those darker edgy roles-problem is there's a huge market in the States for the kind of films he does that i don't like!I blame Sandler!

juanvasquez -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (11/9/2010 11:22:50 PM)

Very average. Has some genuinely funny moments, but would have really benefited from being a good 30 minutes shorter.

The whole stalker sub plot should have dropped as that felt like a complete waste of time.

It seems that everyone in the screen was in stitches. I wish I was as easily amused.

Barely scrapes 3 stars from me.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Absolutely worth a watch, hilarious (12/9/2010 4:58:12 PM)

Just two points on the US Office, the central idea of the British show traslates because people who work in that sort of Office in American have the same sort of problems and lives so it is a univesial theme in many ways.   Also if they had tried to copy the style, and charcters of the organgal then it would have fell flat on it face, but it was smart enough to do its own thing while playing homage to the UK one, and that is why it has sustained.  Agreed Gervais does have his finest moment as Brent, and maybe Carell was never going to live up to that, but he still did a good job.  Sorry to take things off topic, but it had to be said[:D]

LUCASLITTLEWOOD -> Dinner For Schmucks: Fantastically Stupid! (23/9/2010 9:06:56 AM)

What a great film! I know its awful if you compare it to the likes of Inception or the other big blockbusters of the summer but compared to Roach's other films such as Austin Powers it was brilliant, I thought Carell was outstanding portraying his character. Overall I thought the film had a great idea but did not pull it off completely successfully but is a great film to sit and watch on a Friday night or any night. My kind of humour, cheesy and slapstick!

joanna likes films -> Funny In Places But Instanly Forgettable. (16/1/2011 12:15:16 PM)

The only people that scene stealed were David Wailliams, Steve Carell and Alan (can't spell his name properly). Paul Rudd is more or less the same guy he plays in every movie, has the pretty girlfriend with a few misunderstandings and always looks a little wooden. There are some funny moments in places, though really it's instantly forgettable once the creidts roll.

joanna likes films -> Funny In Places But Instanly Forgettable. (16/1/2011 12:15:17 PM)

The only people that scene stealed were David Wailliams, Steve Carell and Alan (can't spell his name properly). Paul Rudd is more or less the same guy he plays in every movie, has the pretty girlfriend with a few misunderstandings and always looks a little wooden. There are some funny moments in places, though really it's instantly forgettable once the creidts roll.

ryanchallenger -> 4 Star Loved It (26/3/2011 6:06:44 PM)

Great Comedy Acting, Loved EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!!!!!

ryanchallenger -> 4 Star Loved It (26/3/2011 6:06:46 PM)

Great Comedy Acting, Loved EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!!!!!

flyaninnocentlife -> Is Empire losing it? (2/4/2011 8:38:23 PM)

I avoided this film at the cinema due to Empire's review (andas a poor student, I use Empire to decide which films are worth my money to see), and finally watched it on dvd. It was actually really good and I was gutted I didn't see it sooner. In the past couple of years I've found I'm disagreeing with Empire more and more...either theyve hired some rubbish reviewers or my judgement is getting worse!

Steve Carell gets pigeon-holed to one character and although this one was similar he managed to pull away and was genuinely hilarious throughout. I couln't decide whether I would kill him or love him in real life!
Paul Rudd did a nice job, and again pulled away from his usual smarmy charmy character to be a bit more real and human.
Jemaine Clement was fantastic! I'm a HUGE FOTC fan, so thought it would be impossible for him to shake his character off, but he did so brilliantly. He was slimy but charming and I really disliked his character despite loving Jemaine himself.
Of course, as with all films, there are a few eaker scenes but I can't even remember what they are now.

Genuinely funny film you should see, especially with friends.

Vitamin F -> RE: Is Empire losing it? (5/3/2012 10:52:11 AM)

An unbelievably bad comedy, considering what was on offer here!

Rudd and Carrell in possibly their most laboured and missed-the-mark roles, dull and tedious story that never develops the premise...this was so boring and unfunny that I can't even begin to think what went wrong, although it possibly has something to do with a total lack of wit and humour and any sort of joke.
The fat one from The Hangover turns up and brings an already grating film to an even lower level of "who cares, and when will this be over?" - in fact at a running time of nearly 2 hours I think, this seemed to be a never ending catalogue of poor attempts at improv and ad lib (on an off day for the whole cast) and I nearly fell asleep twice.
Just woeful.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Is Empire losing it? (5/3/2012 11:07:11 AM)

This film took the p/ss out of one of my favourite foriegn films/comedies,for that reason Dinner For Schmucks can go to hell[:D]

Stringfellowfilms -> RE: Dinner For Schmucks (6/3/2012 7:32:58 PM)

Watch it once never again. Didn't really make me laugh at all and I really like Paul Rudd one of his bad films

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI