Grown Ups (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Grown Ups (24/8/2010 1:13:06 PM)

Post your comments on this article

claire_demner -> One of the funniest movies of the year... (24/8/2010 1:13:06 PM)

I thought this movie was absolutely hillarious and probably the best thing Adam Sandler has done since .... well a long time! If you've ever been to a reunion between high school friends, you know that the chemistry, and banter expressed in this movie is exactly what happens. From disses to insults, every line in this movie expressed, in a great way, exactly what it's like to see high school friends again after a long time. I also think that Adam Sandler and Kevin James found the chemistry that they couldn't in I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry... and it was nice to see Chris Rock in a subdued and low-key role.
the only bits I didn't like were the Grandma farrting jokes, but that's just because that's not my sense of humour.
Obviously this movie isn't for everyone, no movie is, but I really thought it was great and I was laughing out loud a lot. If you go into this movie with an open mind, you'll come out having really enjoyed yourself.

Great, funny, adult (most of the time) movie.

menace76 -> Very funny! (24/8/2010 9:04:08 PM)

Don't be put off by the empire review, this movie is really funny, the guys must have had great fun making it. And all the so called "set-pieces" are actually hilarious.

Bubba76 -> Definitely not... (25/8/2010 9:43:22 PM)

the "tragic" film that has been reviewed here!! There are a lot of laughs to be had; the cinema was packed (albeit on an Orange Wednesday) and I would say that there was barely no one in the audience that wasn't laughing. :-)

kable2010 -> what? (26/8/2010 11:23:08 AM)

empire your getting stupid

Bigfilmguy -> Sorry Empire... (27/8/2010 5:09:35 PM)

I don't normally disagree with your reviews, but on this one, I have to! Sandler and James have a great on-screen chemistry and Chris Rock is brilliant in the house husband role. I admit Schneider is not as funny as usual in this film, but otherwise, a fantastically funny movie!

Piles -> RE: Sorry Empire... (28/8/2010 8:14:38 PM)

Terrible, terrible film. I've seen over 300 films this year and this is the worst.

hungryeater -> RE: Sorry Empire... (28/8/2010 8:23:19 PM)

Why did you bother seeing it when all the reviews say it's shit?

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: Sorry Empire... (28/8/2010 8:56:07 PM)

I seen it cause there was nothing else on,i fecked up the time for the film i wanted to see and was accordingly punished,
Plus i have a Cineworld card,just as well[:D]

DJ Rob C: Mark II! -> RE: Sorry Empire... (29/8/2010 12:57:32 AM)

I went with a big group of friends last night and we all enjoyed it thoroughly... it was nothing special but I laughed enough times and it was just silly fun

juanvasquez -> RE: Sorry Empire... (29/8/2010 8:17:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Rob C: Mark II!

I went with a big group of friends last night and we all enjoyed it thoroughly... it was nothing special but I laughed enough times and it was just silly fun

This.

It was just fun to sit back and watch the cast have a lot of fun. You could tell they were having a laugh while making this and they all had great chemistry together, and aside from the odd bit of smut, it's a fun family film. My kids loved it, as did the wife.

I feel Empire always underrate Sandler's films, and the only one they've overrated/hyped is Funny People.

A good solid 3 1/2 stars. Proper good fun.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Sorry Empire... (30/8/2010 4:59:16 PM)

I don't think I laughed once, terrible movie. 

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Sorry Empire... (31/8/2010 1:49:22 PM)

I saw it saturday afternoon along with a half full audience & we all found it very funny.
Yeah its not going to win any awards but it's a fun nobrainer way to while away 100mins of boredom. 7/10

bretty -> undemanding (1/9/2010 10:49:47 PM)

One star from Empire? That should be reserved for films a lot worse then this harmless and forgettable comedy. Yep it is undemanding and slightly lazy, but is does have a few laughs in there too....

MoviesGalore -> Meh (2/9/2010 3:13:02 AM)

Grown Up's seems to be a constant battle of gimmicky one liners, containing a script suited more to a teenage drama production than a film containing some of the most thrilling comical actors of my generation. The plot was benign and predictable, but still somehow managed to keep me relatively entertained. Unfortunately this is one of those films you watch during lunch to pass time, not one to write home about.

clarkkent -> (2/9/2010 11:35:17 PM)

i enjoyed it. It was funny, had some nice lines and some genuinely funny set ups, totally enjoyable, not for the film snobs here who still swear blind that Woody Allen is still funny and worth watching. No classic, but nice to see a flick about a bunch of guys hanging out and having fun, not taking itself to seriously in the slightest. Plus, nice to see Sandler not pandering to kids with god awful kiddie flicks that make THE PACIFIER look like The fucking GOONIES.

reminn -> (3/11/2010 11:11:28 AM)

Good.

Dirk Diggler 619 -> rednecks are gonna have a ball with this 1 (22/5/2011 5:06:13 PM)

I hate it just as much as EMPIRE,, the most trashiest movie with the most toilet lines ever...like they said about adam sandler learned nothing from funny people,,, but they say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks... But this dog died at birth...

ryanchallenger -> Easily 4 Stars !!! (24/6/2011 7:54:28 PM)

No way is this a one star film. There is definite laughs and comedy in there and i enjoyed it. Honestly one top movie !!!! Sandman and james are especially exciting

pinkergirl135 -> Lazy (9/7/2011 10:57:57 AM)

It is unbearably a lazy comedy. It doesn't have a strong plot and all the character's personalities are so unique and individual it messes up the comedy.

I must admit though that I thought the idea was a clever one, however the comedy was too slapstick for it's own good!

All in all, a very dissapointing failed comedy that I could only laugh one in (ave maria!)

anakin73 -> Sooooooooooooo shit!!!!!!!!!! (9/7/2011 6:01:54 PM)

My girlfriend forced me to sit through this, I've dumped the bitch now, it's that bad!

bedraggledfox -> Wasn't impressed. (7/11/2011 7:45:29 PM)

Some critics have made reference to the mean spiritedness of the film and I can see this- although this is supposed to be a reunion after 30 years there is still a level of playground nastiness between the characters- Kevin James is mocked because of his weight (however he does get an attractive wife), Rob Schneider is mocked for the way he says things- its sad that for a film called Grown Ups none of the main male characters have learned anything.

the film man -> Grown Ups Review (13/2/2012 11:56:03 PM)

Grown Ups' cast of comedy vets is amiable, but they're let down by flat direction and the scattershot, lowbrow humor of a stunted script.

norgizfox -> Grown Ups (9/9/2012 10:55:00 PM)

It's stupid, but harmless enough for the less demanding viewers.

lenny feder -> Sorry Empire (6/11/2012 11:25:44 AM)

I completely 100% disagree Grown ups is my favourite film of all time ive must of watched it about 50 times and i absolutely love it, it makes me laugh every minute all throughout the film and if you have not seen it buy it straight away and watch it, it's a must see and undoubtably the best film i've seen for comedy for years which is why it is my favourite, love the actors seems as there all friends and have been in lots of movies together and have now done yet another masterpiece of comedy and humour.
10/10

Popcorn Required -> Its misunderstood (4/4/2013 4:40:49 PM)

I think it rings true about long standing friendships and for that I think its an alright film. When they're all sitting in the deck chairs joking around a part of me would like to think that me and my mates will emulate that some day in the future.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI