Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (13/8/2010 5:13:29 PM)

Post your comments on this article

hatebox -> RE: Go Edgar, Go Edgar... (13/8/2010 5:41:26 PM)

I don't even need to read the review or this thread to know what Empire have given it. Doesn't look like it's for me, I must say. 

The Todge -> RE: (13/8/2010 5:58:50 PM)

Wasn't too bothered about seeing this I have to say, but it is growing on me.  I expect I'll go and check it out.

Judge -> RE: (13/8/2010 8:46:24 PM)

Considering Helen O'Hara is one of the few Empire reviewers I trust these days, my excitement for this just raised massively.

hatebox -> RE: FIVE STARS!! (14/8/2010 9:24:02 AM)

According to early estimates this has opened pretty terribly in the US. Alond with Kick Ass underperforming over there we may have seen the last of these kind of 'hip and quirky' action films for a while. 

Super Hans -> RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (14/8/2010 3:51:19 PM)

5 stars? After all the months after they've been hyping the film up?! What a surprise! :-D

Seriously speaking though, I do like the look of this one. Not sure I'll get to watch it at the flicks though. However, ive just read the first book with a mind to reading the others so that may not be a bad thing - I'd rather finish them first.

Deviation -> RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (14/8/2010 4:53:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lao Che

The Expendables OWNS Scott Pilgrim's Ass! Wright must be crying in his beer (ranking 4th in the US during its opening weekend with The Expendables ranking 1st). Wright probably hopes to get more success here in the UK. It ain't gonna happen; the marketing is too niche (just look at those posters).

I think that was expected. It's a shame, unlike The Expendables it actually looks fun (I still haven't forgiven you for Rambo Stallone, or Staying Alive, or Get Carter, or Driven, or Rambo 2)

juanvasquez -> RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (14/8/2010 5:48:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

5 stars? After all the months after they've been hyping the film up?! What a surprise! :-D

Why do people get this impression? I find it to be quite the contrary. Most of the films that get a lot of coverage tend to get poor to average reviews.

KeithM -> RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (14/8/2010 6:26:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez
Why do people get this impression?

Because they've given high profile stinkers 4 and 5 star reviews in the past. Superman Returns and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crock of Shit being two prime examples.

I'm sure many, if not most of their reviews are genuine, but blatant 'misjudgements' (being generous) like the above can influence the perceived integrity of the whole magazine and its staff of reviewers and stay with people for a long time - trust is much easier to break than to build...

As good a movie mag as Empire is (and it is), many no longer feel they can rely on Empire's reviews to be objective, especially if the movie is high profile or has a star/director attached whom Empire may want to court (*cough* Spielberg).

I know people will probably jump to Empire's defence, and will rightly point out that movie reviews are by nature subjective, but you asked and this is an honest answer as to why some people question their honesty/objectivity/integrity. Sad but true.

Edit: Having said that, their review of Scott Pilgrim seems to be on par with most other reviewers so far, so maybe it actually IS that good. [;)]

Super Hans -> RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (14/8/2010 6:56:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

Why do people get this impression? I find it to be quite the contrary. Most of the films that get a lot of coverage tend to get poor to average reviews.

I was only being half serious. I think their coverage of Scott Pilgrim is, to me, very similar to that of Kick-Ass: they seemed to get to a point where it became kind of obvious they were going to give it 5 stars. Maybe they had seen enough of it in previews to confidently start bigging it up massively.

I'm not complaining though - I loved Kick-Ass and also the 1st Scott Pilgrim so the positive review makes me even more keen to see it. Total Film gave it 4 stars so its looking promising!

d_c_ -> RE: (15/8/2010 11:43:09 PM)

Just home after the MovieCon screening, and I really enjoyed it. Amusing, plenty of action and the story+characters are pretty good too :) that said, this film definitely isn't for everyone, and for that reason alone I wouldn't give it 5 stars. The whole thing was bound to appeal to me, as a casual gamer as well as film-goer, but to another generation I feel the charm and humour would be completely lost. Well that's what I gathered judging the reaction of the older chaps sitting next to me... This will divide audience opinion, which is my diagnosis of its apparent "bomb" in the US box office... however, it's still a 5 star film for anyone who has ever played a video game or enjoys a bit of action and/or a bit of romance... do not be discouraged.

Deviation -> RE: (16/8/2010 12:06:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackmanstoletheshow

I know one should reserve judgement, but this is nauseating and predictable nepotism. The trailer is ok at best, while Michael Cera is playing the same role again, and he rarely hits the right notes as it is.
The Inception film was incorrectly attributed by many as a case of sycophancy, and I knew it would be brilliant because it looked it and its director is arguably the finest living film visionary. But Scott Pilgrim is never a five star film, and all I can conclude is that Edgar Wright-whose accent is exasperating-cum-pretentious-must be a real tightwad when it comes to exclusive access on his film sets.

What the hell?

darkness12 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 12:41:28 AM)

Deviation do you count Inception, Scott Pilgrim and Vorhoven's films as British and Dutch?

Rgirvan44 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:11:28 AM)

What?

Deviation -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:12:47 AM)

Japanese with some tints of Iranian, with some Senegalese sensibility.

darkness12 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:21:00 AM)

Please answer the question?
Are Ridley Scott, Nolan, Vorhoeven (the obvious trilogy), Scott Pilgrim and Predators British, Dutch and (half) Hungarian films?

Rgirvan44 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:22:32 AM)

Ridley Scott - British
Chris Nolan - American/British
Verhoeven - Dutch
Scott Piligirm - Canadian
Predators - Predator Homeworld

darkness12 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:23:56 AM)

I wasn't talking to you moron.
And I'm talking about the films not the people.

Deviation -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:26:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkness12

Please answer the question?
Are Ridley Scott, Nolan, Vorhoeven (the obvious trilogy), Scott Pilgrim and Predators British, Dutch and (half) Hungarian films?

Here's a fantastic database site that might offer you some answers (and Nolan is clearly Senegalese).

http://www.imdb.com/

Rgirvan44 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:26:39 AM)

quote:

Well I am sure Dev is happy for me to answer honey bunny

All three directors are a mix of films from their homelands, and also the United States.

Also I'm not sure where Predators fits into this. Although I would say Dutch there, but only cause of the name.

darkness12 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:29:20 AM)

Why do you insist on hunting down British TV shows when you are maltanese?
Why is it everytime you review a film made by a foreign director you always say the 'direction is great'? Regardless of the score you give.
Why do you not dislike any foreign director who is well regarded?
Why do you not believe any of the directors you like have made a film below 'good'.

Deviation -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:31:11 AM)

What if Verhoeven did a German version of Predators? Think of all the tits.....

Rgirvan44 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:31:21 AM)

quote:

Why is it everytime you review a film made by a foreign director you always say the 'direction is great'? Regardless of the score you give.
Why do you not believe any of the directors you like have made a film below 'good'.

Why do you always come back?

darkness12 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:31:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

All three directors are a mix of films from their homelands, and also the United States.

Also I'm not sure where Predators fits into this. Although I would say Dutch there, but only cause of the name.

God you are so fucking annoying.
Further proof (if needed), Timon > You.
Get a life and stop cock eating Ridley Scott. You only ever post on listsandtop10s when his name is mentioned and then go on a rant about how everyone should watch KOH:DC. LOL.
You never have an opinion on anything.

Deviation -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:32:17 AM)

quote:

quote:

Why do you become so boring so fast EP?

darkness12 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:33:54 AM)

quote:

quote:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
You are so boring, seriously. The amount of SHIT of yours I had to read on various sci fi threads.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:35:17 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

God you are so fucking annoying.
Further proof (if needed), Timon > You.
Get a life and stop cock eating Ridley Scott. You only ever post on listsandtop10s when his name is mentioned and then go on a rant about how everyone should watch KOH:DC. LOL.
You never have an opinion on anything.

Well I won't deny that Timon is an all round better person than me.

As to KoH - I only preach the truth.

Neither thing changes the fact that you seem to spend your days looking on this forum and having a level of detail which is quite sad. There is a whole wide world out there - go explore it!

Deviation -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:35:34 AM)

quote:

You are so boring, seriously. The amount of SHIT of yours I had to read on various sci fi threads.

It's true, I write a lot of boring shit. On a plus side, they are more fun than this.

darkness12 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:36:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

Why do you become so boring so fast EP?

Please answer what are serious questions. I am not PA, please stop treating everyone on this forum as if they are part of your whole act.
Stop going into movie musings and such and referencing passolini when someone talks about James Cameron or someone, it is so cringe-worthy how deluded and pathetic you are.
You are satan, and the most horrile man i've ever met.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: RE: (16/8/2010 1:36:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

It's true, I write a lot of boring shit. On a plus side, they are more fun than this.

He meant me. Must not have been a Univerisal Soldier 3 fan.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI