Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films

Timon -> Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (26/7/2010 4:26:25 PM)

One of my favorite game franchises and one of the ones that when you play it feels like a blockbuster movie, so surely a film is inevitable (along with Uncharted III)? Well, it is.

In a bid to one day make a good game adaption (actually Prince of Persia was quite good), Hollywood has lined up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for a screen adaptation.
The story of the game sees adventurer Nate Drake, a descendant of Sir Francis, set out in search of the lost city of El Dorado, a clue to the whereabouts of which he believes he has discovered. The quest is complicated by a rival treasure hunter, and the emergence of mutated descendants of Spaniards and Nazis. Or they could do the even more epic Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, but I think a new script would be best.

Kyle Ward was hired to write the script, but he's recently worked on upcoming game adaptations Kane & Lynch and Hitman 2  and Ari Arad and Charles "The Dark Knight" Roven are producing. Instead, rumours abound that Sony LOVE the script written by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer (Sahara, the new Conan the Barbarian) that they are considering trying to get the film out by summer 2011.

Speaking about the adaption, Avad said, "We're still hard at work on the script for the Uncharted movie," Ari reveals. "Actually, Naughty Dog threw the gauntlet down by making the second video game in the series, Among Thieves, such a masterpiece. Now, we're not only feeling tremendous pressure to get the movie made, but it now has to live up to the awesomeness of Uncharted 2, which truly raised the bar for the franchise. You just don't want to start filming a movie like this until everything is right."

Ari wants to strike a balance between delivering a satisfying action movie and creating characters audiences will find believable. "The Uncharted games are cinematic experiences themselves, and they already tell good adventure stories, so we can follow the storyline closely," Ari explains. "The games are all extremely action-driven, but with the movie we'll spend more time crafting good dialogue and allowing our characters to come to life onscreen."

While the Uncharted movie will primarily stick to fiction, it won't ignore things that are going on in the real world that are relevant to its story. Modern-day pirates off the coast of Somalia pose a serious threat to international shipping, and the Uncharted film won't pretend that this is something that's not happening right now. "There's a lot of ground to cover with the Uncharted series and a lot of characters with rich histories to go over... I don't think we're going to get sick of telling all those stories anytime soon. Drake is such an iconic hero who is exactly the kind of character you build multiple movies around like James Bond or Indiana Jones." -Ari Arad

"Modern piracy has impacted where we're going with the film," Ari says. "This was a big part of the game in terms of who the first game's villain, Gabriel Roman, was, and it's not going to be ignored in the movie. One thing that makes Uncharted such a special movie is that it's a treasure-hunting adventure, but at the same time, it's very modern, and that should resonate with people when they see it. When you're going into foreign countries and taking objects in real life, you have to deal with some pretty shady people. Some of them are pirates. There will definitely be shades of modern-day piracy in the Uncharted movie."

When asked if he thinks the Uncharted series has the potential to grow into a film-franchise giant like George Lucas' beloved Indiana Jones -- especially when you consider the heavy amount of inspiration Uncharted draws from the Indy movies -- Ari has a lot to say about this, too.

"I would imagine it will eventually become a film franchise," he responds. "I don't think we're going to get sick of telling [stories about Drake] anytime soon. Drake is such an iconic hero who is exactly the kind of character you build multiple movies around, like James Bond or Indiana Jones."

Casting wise, let's not dick around Nathan Fillion would be perfect as Drake. Anyone who's played the games can see. Empire's personal suggestion is Stargate Atlantis' Lt. Colonel Sheppard (Joe Flanigan). Not bad, I guess.

Director-wise? They may be talking to David O'Russell...........?

montroy -> RE: Uncharted (27/7/2010 12:51:12 PM)

awsome game along with the sequal...cant see anyone getting a game to film franchise right. So i will hold my tongue until we see some footage

Timon -> RE: Uncharted (27/7/2010 12:56:21 PM)

There also be rumours that David Boreanaz could be a possible Drake contendor.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/04/director-david-o-russell-to-go-uncharted/

The REAL Bozz -> RE: Uncharted (28/7/2010 12:37:12 PM)

Diaz for Elena is a no brainer. She even sounds like her!

Sotto Voce -> RE: Uncharted (1/8/2010 3:38:37 PM)

Funny, when I was playing Uncharted, I thought "This is what Indiana Jones 4 should have been".[:D]

Should be an original story though, or it'll be a bit predictable for those who played the game.

MarcE -> RE: Uncharted (1/8/2010 5:17:02 PM)

Brilliant game, as long as it doesn't look like a cheap Indiana Jones or King Soloman's Mines it will be amazing.

Timon -> RE: Uncharted (4/8/2010 10:45:14 AM)

David O'Russell has dropped out as a possible director.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/08/drakes-fortune-david-o-russell-video-game-sony.html

Timon -> RE: Uncharted (9/10/2010 10:21:54 AM)

David O' Russell is officially onboard;

David O. Russell (Three Kings, The Fighter) has been set to write and direct Columbia Pictures' Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, an action-adventure based upon the best-selling PlayStation 3 game, it was announced today by Doug Belgrad and Matt Tolmach, presidents of Columbia Pictures. The film will be produced by Avi Arad, Charles Roven, Ari Arad, and Alex Gartner.

The story follows the adventures of treasure hunter Nathan Drake.

Commenting on the announcement, Tolmach said, "David is a tremendous choice to take on this film. He's equally adept at combining all the classic elements involved in this property: great character development, strong comedy, and amazing action sequences. He has a brilliant vision for this material and we know he will bring his original, unique voice to this adaptation."

The game, developed by the acclaimed team at Naughty Dog, was one of Sony Computer Entertainment's best-selling and most critically acclaimed games for the PS3. Named IGN's Best Action Game and Best PS3 Game, "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" sold one million copies in the first 10 weeks of its release at the end of 2007 on its way to moving more than 2.6 million copies and spawning a sequel. That sequel, "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves," was a major commercial and critical success, winning Game of the Year honors from several influential critics, being named the most critically acclaimed game of the year by Metacritic, and selling more than 3.8 million copies worldwide. Both games are among the all-time best-selling games for the platform.

The project will be overseen at Columbia Pictures by Tolmach and Jonathan Kadin. Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer wrote the first draft of the screenplay.

Read more: David O. Russell to Write & Direct Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70556#ixzz11qsJvYzr

Vadersville -> RE: Uncharted (10/10/2010 1:49:15 PM)

Nathan Fillion needs to play this role. He IS Drake.

Timon -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (11/10/2010 4:57:30 PM)

I wrote an article for Den of Geek a few weeks ago where I pitched Nathan Fillion as Nathan Drake. Not just that but the man himself picked it up and put it on his Twitter feed! Fillion is always going to be my first choice for Drake, but having said that I have been watching the new Hawaii 5-0, and although he was in The Back Up Plan, Alex O'Loughlin has a very Drake-like appearance.

The Hooded Man -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (12/10/2010 12:26:51 PM)

Whoever plays it has to be suitably weathered the last thing we need is an Ashton Kutcher or Jake Gyllenhaal or, dear God no, Sam Worthington.

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (12/10/2010 3:48:17 PM)

I'm looking forward to this, even though I can't stand the mojority of David O'Russel films. He better do this justice.

The Hooded Man -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (12/10/2010 4:09:20 PM)

Given his CV can we look forward to Mark Wahlberg in this role?

Timon -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (17/10/2010 4:48:40 PM)

Fillion is actively campaigning for the role of Drake! - http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18508/fillion-campaigns-for-uncharted-

I'm putting this solely down to an article I wrote that the man himself tweeted - http://www.denofgeek.com/television/588401/nathan_fillion_will_such_a_geek_icon_ever_become_alist.html

Timon -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (17/10/2010 8:18:01 PM)

And so is Stargate: Atlantis' Joe Flanigan!

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movie-news/uncharted-casting-fillion-vs-flanigan-fan-war.php

Rembo92 -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (18/10/2010 4:07:01 PM)

I hope i'm wrong but i can't see this being any good

Timon -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (24/11/2010 7:04:39 PM)

Ah fuck, O'Russell may have given the role of Drake to his old pal Mark Whalberg.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71888

kenada_woo -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (24/11/2010 7:54:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Ah fuck, O'Russell may have given the role of Drake to his old pal Mark Whalberg.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71888

It does say De Niro could be playing his dad or something...he'd be good as Sully I think - got a bit sly wit has De Niro.

As for Marky Marky...I've never pictured him as someone who could be a bit of a cheeky and likeable action adventure guy with a witty tongue.

We'll see though

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (24/11/2010 8:47:00 PM)

This has shit cash in written all over it, I'm expecting something along the lines of Tomb Raider, Resident Evil or Hitman once again. Games aren't meant to be made into films, they have stories but they pad them out with massive sections of interaction which films can't offer.

darth silas -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (24/11/2010 9:21:23 PM)

Oh for FUCKS sake! Mark Wahlberg as Drake? Im a huge fan of the games but i wont be seeing this film if that plank Wahlberg is in it! Drake is supposed to be charismatic and witty,everythng Wahlberg isnt.If it was Nathan Fillion or Joe Flanigan id be happy.As it stands ill be avoiding this adaptation like the plague.Fucking hollywood idiots.

Marwood -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (25/11/2010 3:57:48 PM)

David O Russell is an interesting choice.

Mr Wahlberg is a bland and uninteresting actor.

This could maybe scrape by if the supporting cast, script and O Russell's directing is good but odds are it will suffer the usual fate of Marky Mark playing a lead: garbage.

lukeyboy -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (25/11/2010 4:12:52 PM)

I fucking hate Mark Whalberg![:@]

Timon -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (29/12/2010 9:21:08 AM)

There is hope!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=72843

Marwood -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (29/12/2010 10:21:56 AM)

Don't count your chickens yet, Wahlberg and Russell have a lot of love for The Fighter and clearly enjoy working together from their interviews so I'm sure this will actually happen - Marky Mark's considered a safe leading man by studios and with Russell's erratic history they'll want someone to act as insurance that he won't go batshit - Wahlberg unfortunately is probably that insurance policy so I think this will really depend on whether he has a clear schedule for it.

lukeyboy -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (29/12/2010 1:52:15 PM)

I was just about to post the same article!![:D]

I actually found myself going "oh please, oh please let it be true...." because (if you didn't know already) i'm not fond of Mark Whalberg!![:'(] Not fond at all...........

I hate jumping on bandwagons - but Nathan Fillion was literally born for this part. With him in it, I think it could [possibly] challenge the Indiana Jones trilogy (yes trilogy) for the adventure movie crown! A bold statement i know........

simonmckergan1 -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (29/12/2010 2:25:26 PM)

God I hope that's true.  Whalberg is a fine actor but he is NOT Nathan Drake.  Fillion was born to play this role

Ti -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (30/12/2010 10:41:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

God I hope that's true.  Whalberg is a mediocre actor, and he sure as hell is NOT Nathan Drake.  Fillion was born to play this role

Fixed it.

redpaw -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (30/12/2010 11:50:21 AM)

If Mark Wankberg gets this role I'll cut off my own nuts and use 'em as stress balls -- this role should go to Fillion.

darth silas -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (30/12/2010 1:06:32 PM)

Joe Flanigan from Stargate:Atlantis actually looks more like Drake than Nathan Fillion does.Id settle for ANYONE other than that plank Wahlberg though.

simonmckergan1 -> RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (30/12/2010 1:12:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Joe Flanigan from Stargate:Atlantis actually looks more like Drake than Nathan Fillion does.Id settle for ANYONE other than that plank Wahlberg though.

That's an excellent call Darth.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI